2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can’t remember who said it here but does anyone remember the program through the military that helps you pay for medical school and you serve as a physician to veterans ? And the other program that helps you pay for medical school and you serve underserved communities? Thank you in advance
VA HPSP for your first one

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t remember who said it here but does anyone remember the program through the military that helps you pay for medical school and you serve as a physician to veterans ? And the other program that helps you pay for medical school and you serve underserved communities? Thank you in advance
National Health Services Corp. Scholarships | NHSC

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! Is it too late to apply?
For the VA one looks like deadline passed for summer/fall terms, NHSC is open but closes in couple days. But both can be signed up for even after you start school. If you’re interested in either might as well start looking into them so you can choose one and get the process ready for spring or M2.

Could you apply for NHSC after M1 year just to make sure you want to pursue a NHSC-approved specialty?

Could you apply for NHSC after M1 year just to make sure you want to pursue a NHSC-approved specialty?
Minimum says 2-year of repayment, so I don't see why not. You would just be on the hook for that first year. Can even just wait and do loan repayment after you know what speciality applying to. I think as long as you graduate and enter residency, you'll be able to pay off school expenses in some way or form.

Soooo shall we expect any movement next week? Or did all 60 already officially committed?

Soooo shall we expect any movement next week? Or did all 60 already officially committed?
Not yet, May 2nd is CDU's deadline to commit and I know some students are still on the fence.

Has anyone not heard anything yet?? Idk if I’m rejected or on a waitlist lol
1683047173660.png

from their site, seems the rank list expired this weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
they just say u are still under review. thats what they said to me when i emailed like twice since march 15...
I see. Well quite a few people at the accepted student day did mention that they were still waiting for other waitlists as CDU wasn't their top choice. So I'm assuming there will be movement. I think after today some updates will be sent out

Reactions: 1 users
I see. Well quite a few people at the accepted student day did mention that they were still waiting for other waitlists as CDU wasn't their top choice. So I'm assuming there will be movement. I think after today some updates will be sent out
You were accepted?

For the VA one looks like deadline passed for summer/fall terms, NHSC is open but closes in couple days. But both can be signed up for even after you start school. If you’re interested in either might as well start looking into them so you can choose one and get the process ready for spring or M2.
Sorry to bother you, do you know how long of a commitment it would be if they pay for the full 4 years? Would I have to work for them for 8yrs?

Sorry to bother you, do you know how long of a commitment it would be if they pay for the full 4 years? Would I have to work for them for 8yrs?
No. 1.5 years with VA for every 1 year they pay. So 1.5x4=6 years

1683654583905.png

The site you end up working at also has to meet certain requirements and has to be an NHSC approved site.

Hey guys! So I had a meeting earlier with Dr. Cortez and it seems like the incoming class has been established (congrats to all accepted)! I hesitated writing this but it seems like there is no communication from the admin team to the applicants and I know some ppl here are still waiting for some answers. There is a chance I could be wrong but in our meeting she talked about what to do when reapplying and she made it seem that the application cycle for this season was done.

I do have some frustrations with this whole process because following Dr.Cortez advice earlier this year I took a Calculus course to meet requirements and now it seems like it was a waste of time & money 🥺

• Care
I do have some frustrations with this whole process because following Dr.Cortez advice earlier this year I took a Calculus course to meet requirements and now it seems like it was a waste of time & money 🥺
All is well tho!! I truly wish this incoming class all the best and I’m excited to see the impact/history y’all will make 🥳

Sorry to hear. This makes sense because the class is supposed to be presented to the College of Medicine faculty in the last week of May. I heard the admission process might change due to the supreme court justice ruling on affirmative action. Make sure to keep that in mind.

Sorry to hear. This makes sense because the class is supposed to be presented to the College of Medicine faculty in the last week of May. I heard the admission process might change due to the supreme court justice ruling on affirmative action. Make sure to keep that in mind.
Woww ok that’s good to know thank you!! It might apply more for next cycle but hopefully it works for the better.

Woww ok that’s good to know thank you!! It might apply more for next cycle but hopefully it works for the better.
yeah ruling will be coming out in June 2023

so if the class is full, why not reject the rest of us or something... like we have gotten no answers

Reactions: 2 users
so if the class is full, why not reject the rest of us or something... like we have gotten no answers
This has been an incredibly frustrating process with this school. I understand they are working with a small team, but it feels very unprofessional to hold applicants in suspense like this.

I'm sure the school/faculty/students will do great things, but I seriously hope they re-evaluate their admissions process and admission team. Receiving no responses to emails or one-worded responses is concerning and doesn't reflect well on the school.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! So I had a meeting earlier with Dr. Cortez and it seems like the incoming class has been established (congrats to all accepted)! I hesitated writing this but it seems like there is no communication from the admin team to the applicants and I know some ppl here are still waiting for some answers. There is a chance I could be wrong but in our meeting she talked about what to do when reapplying and she made it seem that the application cycle for this season was done.
Hey were you on the waitlist?

Pulling myself from the waitlist. This school definitely not worth the heartache. Only reason I wanted to go here was to stay in California but that dream has died rather quickly. Good luck y’all! I hope the absolute best for all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Pulling myself from the waitlist. This school definitely not worth the heartache. Only reason I wanted to go here was to stay in California but that dream has died rather quickly. Good luck y’all! I hope the absolute best for all of you!
where are u headed?

when is the commit to enroll deadline? i think we will have a good amount of movement then.

Commit to enroll was May 2nd… I would say it’s heavy on primary care or any specialty that is needed in underserved areas.

Again still haven’t heard anything post interview. Nothing at all. Seems like the school lacks communication and is unprofessional at this point!

If Commit to enroll was May 2nd shouldn't the class be full?

Hi! Was there additional info you received post-interview and acceptance you could share that influenced your decision to decline?