2021-2022 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received financial aid offer. Submitted all required documents during the last week of February.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how to tell if the scholarship/grant is merit or need based?

has anyone recieved their aid package who sent in forms in earlyish march?

Anyone know how to tell if the scholarship/grant is merit or need based?
Grants are need based, scholarships are merit based. Should have said which one it was (or if you got both, the breakdown of how much for each) on the aid offer when you take a closer look at grants and scholarships.

Does that mean scholarships have been already offered? I was told admissions deals with merit scholarships whereas the financial aid office focuses on grants/loans.

Was anyone else disappointed with their aid package?
Definitely disappointed here; however, I called finaid and they gave me some great info:

1) This is need-based only, merit scholarships will go out in a few weeks

2) They DO NOT match other schools' aid packages

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely disappointed here; however, I called finaid and they gave me some great info:

1) This is need-based only, merit scholarships will go out in a few weeks

2) They DO NOT match other schools' aid packages
I understand not matching aid packages (loans and grants, everything need-based) but they don't match merit scholarships either??!

I understand not matching aid packages (loans and grants, everything need-based) but they don't match merit scholarships either??!
I know I was very disappointed to hear this from them as well! Especially w/ a merit scholarship from a peer institution :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have access to DukeHub? I know they said the information was mailed to us but I cannot seem to find it in my email anywhere. Wondering how to accept/decline the award

So I went through the school handbook and was wondering if any current students could answer when the school does its drug test 👀?

During orientation, prior to orientation, etc???

Sorry for taking so long to respond, research project has me swamped. To clarify the package they wouldn't match on my end was NEED-based not merit so I don't know if that's the case. That being said it seemed like a firm no on matching YMMV

Hi does anyone know if Duke takes additional letters of rec as updates for ppl on the waitlist? Also, does anyone know when is the best time to send out a letter of intent/interest? Thanks so much!

Has anyone heard about merit money yet? Historically it seems that it comes out after second look

Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there for WL applicants:

I was shocked by the number of people at SLW holding multiple T10 acceptances. With at least a third of those attending SLW holding multiple A’s at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Hopkins, etc., theres no way everyone is coming here.

I also talked to a few M1’s who shared that they were accepted off the WL last year. So just because there wasn’t any WL movement reported on sdn last year, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Hope to see some of you in August.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there for WL applicants:

I was shocked by the number of people at SLW holding multiple T10 acceptances. With at least a third of those attending SLW holding multiple A’s at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Hopkins, etc., theres no way everyone is coming here.

I also talked to a few M1’s who shared that they were accepted off the WL last year. So just because there wasn’t any WL movement reported on sdn last year, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Hope to see some of you in August.
Second this, during SLW I talked to numerous folks who had multiple T10s.

Hey guys--waitlisted applicant here who is curious about the vibes/feel of the school during SLW. If anyone is willing to share their impressions and let me know how it went can you please message me?

Hey guys--waitlisted applicant here who is curious about the vibes/feel of the school during SLW. If anyone is willing to share their impressions and let me know how it went can you please message me?
Was pleasantly surprised by how down to earth and friendly everyone was. Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
can anyone comment on the availability of clinical research opportunities at duke? interested in some competitive sub specialties and was looking for resources/an overview of whats available/happening at duke hospital. thanks!

Has anyone heard about merit scholarships?
Nope. Sent an email about them last Sunday and haven't gotten a response. Guessing they are working on them right now so hopefully this week we will hear!

Has anyone heard about merit scholarships?
A person in the GroupMe for accepted applicants said yesterday that admissions emailed them and told them all merit aid has been distributed at this point. Another student confirmed this based on a separate conversation that they had with admissions yesterday :(. Apparently any other merit aid offers at this point are contingent on students who have received these offers choosing to go somewhere else.

Also, if you are not in the GroupMe, I think the person who created it posted earlier in this thread and said to message them if you'd like to be added! Just in case anyone had missed it.

Any WL people's portals say "application withdrawn"? My portal says that I withdrew my app and I definitely didn't. Not sure if this is a mistake/happening to others, or if it is their way of rejecting me lol

Any WL people's portals say "application withdrawn"? My portal says that I withdrew my app and I definitely didn't. Not sure if this is a mistake/happening to others, or if it is their way of rejecting me lol
Mine doesn't, it still just has the same waitlist message from before

idk if it’s ok to ask this, i was wondering if any admitted applicants could maybe just give a general idea on how many ppl are in the accepted group me? just trying to get a sense of if there will actually be WL movement after 5/2

idk if it’s ok to ask this, i was wondering if any admitted applicants could maybe just give a general idea on how many ppl are in the accepted group me? just trying to get a sense of if there will actually be WL movement after 5/2
170ish in Facebook, 120ish in accepted GroupMe, 50 in committed group me right now

Reactions: 2 users
Does the committed groupme only have people who have formally committed to enroll?
I think it’s a mix. It was just created so I don’t think everyone has joined yet who is actually planning to enroll

Anyone get any updates regarding WL offers? When should we expect?

Anyone get any updates regarding WL offers? When should we expect?
Not sure when you should expect WL offers, but 13 people have left the accepted student GroupMe since April 15th, so those are likely seats that will open up!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Not certain about duke specifically but I would expect WL movement to happen after the Plan to enroll deadline of may 2nd (so next week).

Reactions: 2 users
Hiii does anyone know generally until when duke sends out waitlist acceptances? Trying to figure out when is the optimal time to sign a lease for my current top school.

• Wow
Waitlist folks, I am giving up my offer of admission today (PCLT) so hopefully that will contribute to the waitlist movement. Sending positive vibes and lots of good luck!!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone speak on how many people have dropped out of the group me before today

apparently nyu straight up told people on their wl how many people selected PTE, so if someone wants to call and ask maybe duke will say too.

apparently nyu straight up told people on their wl how many people selected PTE, so if someone wants to call and ask maybe duke will say too.
Nyu told us in a webinar for wl students last week how many had PTE’d at that point, but not how many have pte’d after today. I doubt they’d tell us now, but the Dean at NYU has been known for being way more transparent than most adcoms. Still worth a shot to call duke tho!

Waitlist folks, I am giving up my offer of admission today (PCLT) so hopefully that will contribute to the waitlist movement. Sending positive vibes and lots of good luck!!
Same! Best wishes and fingers crossed for everyone :)

• Love
The original accepted groupme is down to 100 (was at ~120 at some point) and the committed student groupme is at 73. I know theres a handful of students from second look that seemed pretty set on committing but haven't been a part of groupme this entire time + people who just don't know about or don't want to join the groupme, so I'd estimate the true number of committed students to be around 90. I'm feeling WL movement!

EDIT: theres also still 166 in the FB page, but theres also a ton of people who have been long gone from the groupme, as well as at least a dozen M2/M3s

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Got off the WL, still in shock o_O I don't think I can believe it until the email comes through

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users