2019-2020 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question about TMDSAS ranking/pre-match. I LOVED Dell but I know due to their small class size they don't usually pre-match much (if at all?) and hardly even do the official match in February, from what I understand. Should I still rank them high for the chance to pre-match? Or should I rank another school that I know is pre-match heavy higher up than them? I love Dell and would love to go there but I also would like a chance to pre-match somewhere (anywhere lol) so I can sleep easier at night. I'm not sure what the usual strategy is to go about it?

Uhh, pre-match happens outside of the match process, and therefore the ranking should be irrelevant. You can think of pre-match offers like regular AMCAS offers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about TMDSAS ranking/pre-match. I LOVED Dell but I know due to their small class size they don't usually pre-match much (if at all?) and hardly even do the official match in February, from what I understand. Should I still rank them high for the chance to pre-match? Or should I rank another school that I know is pre-match heavy higher up than them? I love Dell and would love to go there but I also would like a chance to pre-match somewhere (anywhere lol) so I can sleep easier at night. I'm not sure what the usual strategy is to go about it?
Your rank list right now is just for your own use. None of the schools will see it until you officially submit it to TMDSAS in January 2020.
Prematch offers may be made any time between October 15 and December 31, before you submit your rank order list.
Dell sent out at least 8 pre-match offers last year (those were SDN users who announced their pre-match offers, a skewed subset.)
Of course they "do" the official match in February, all TMDSAS schools participate.

Reactions: 2 users
Your rank list right now is just for your own use. None of the schools will see it until you officially submit it to TMDSAS in January 2020.
Prematch offers may be made any time between October 15 and December 31, before you submit your rank order list.
Dell sent out at least 8 pre-match offers last year (those were SDN users who announced their pre-match offers, a skewed subset.)
Of course they "do" the official match in February, all TMDSAS schools participate.
Oh great, I didn't realize the list doesn't matter for prematch. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh great, I didn't realize the list doesn't matter for prematch. Thanks for the help!
you're welcome - and TMDSAS main site has lots of information about Match, pre-match, and podcast videos on any topic you might have questions about

Submitted 5/23, secondary today! Don’t give up hope everyone!!

Reactions: 8 users
Dell is an ex I should let go but then there’s a glimmer of hope :mad:
Dell is that mysterious new hottie in the class with big dreams of changing the world and great taste in music. It's hard to let go.

Reactions: 9 users
II received today! She only gave me one date (9/24) initially, but since I will be out of town then, I was able to reschedule to 10/10 easily. Transmitted 7/3 and submitted secondary 8/21. LM 71. Good luck everyone, don’t lose hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How is the interview experience at Dell like the group activity for those of you who already interviewed? Is it a group of other interviewees that we do the group activity with or how does it work

How is the interview experience at Dell like the group activity for those of you who already interviewed? Is it a group of other interviewees that we do the group activity with or how does it work
The group activity was honestly pretty fun. You're in a group with 4-5 other interviewees (the same group you've been with all day). You all sit around a table and are presented a fairly open-ended scenario where you have to make decisions as a group.

There's an observer who watches you, and the whole thing is recorded. I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for, but I'd guess it's just to see what role you gravitate towards in a group setting.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if Austin is at all receptive to ITAs? I personally don't typically think ITAs are the best idea, but I go to school in the Northeast (I'm IS though) and there are no direct flights to Texas so traveling there is really hard and requires missing a lot of school. I will already be in Texas for a week in mid October so the timing would be really nice. However, I really don't know what Dell looks for and whether I will even get an interview at all. I did my secondary on 8/19. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
The group interview went by fast, everyone was trying to get their word in. I sometimes felt left behind because I was not saying much, I would advise, getting your thoughts out early and as much as possible but always remain open and receptive to other suggestions. Try to think outside the box if everyone in your group is kinda saying the same thing. I had one member establish rules in the beginning like reading in a circle, somewhat of a gunner approach.
The MMI was quite stressful for me, just make sure you fully understand the question and answer the question without going on a tangent.
The one on one was my favorite. had a really nice faculty interviewer, very receptive to what I was saying, listening.

II today!! I missed the call because I was on a flight but I called back it was super simple they just gave me a date that worked perfectly. Very excited but nervous for my first MMI style!

Questions for a thank you letter. I know that most Texas schools do not look out for them, but at the end of my interview it was mentioned that we could send an email/card directly to admissions if we wanted to. Is this best practice since it was mentioned?

Questions for a thank you letter. I know that most Texas schools do not look out for them, but at the end of my interview it was mentioned that we could send an email/card directly to admissions if we wanted to. Is this best practice since it was mentioned?
it was also mentioned at my interview at another Texas MD school that you can send a handwritten letter or email.

it was also mentioned at my interview at another Texas MD school that you can send a handwritten letter or email.
I sent an email to each of my interviewers at another Texas MD school directly to their email addresses and got nice replies within a couple days or so. I don't think it's required or even expected, but can't hurt and is certainly a nice gesture if you enjoyed your conversation I think. Most faculty emails are just [email protected] or [email protected], lol

I sent an email to each of my interviewers at another Texas MD school directly to their email addresses and got nice replies within a couple days or so. I don't think it's required or even expected, but can't hurt and is certainly a nice gesture if you enjoyed your conversation I think. Most faculty emails are just [email protected] or [email protected], lol
if you didnt enjoy the conversation, then would you still send one? Just curious

I receiver II, the school called me to let me know and the date is October 10th.

if you didnt enjoy the conversation, then would you still send one? Just curious
I don't necessarily know what's "right" as far as med school apps go, but I personally wouldn't send anything if it wasn't genuine

is there a social the day before the actual interview day? If there is, do y'all know what time its at? thanks

is there a social the day before the actual interview day? If there is, do y'all know what time its at? thanks
You will get an email about a 6-8 PM get together somewhere for the day before when they send you the schedule. it is just to spend time with current students and ask questions informally that you dont want ask during an interview.

Complete date and stats?
I completed primary application on August 13th, received invitation for secondary application on August 19th, and received interview invitation on September 26th. My stats are in my signature. Im non-traditional, am a nurse practitioner, with military service.

Received II call on 24th Sep, Seconday on 5th Sep GPA 3.94, 4.0, MCAT 515.
Can anyone tell me the II format, any do's or dont's..

Are you allowed to write down notes in the 2 min reading time for the MMI

Are you allowed to write down notes in the 2 min reading time for the MMI

They allowed us to take notes during the MMI. Everyone in my small interview group used the notepad and pen that Dell provides at the beginning of the interview day, so you won’t need to bring anything.

II today. I think it went well. Does Dell do pre-match offers? Need this suspense to end...
'

Dell will pre-match ~25 slots and match ~25 slots. I think about half of those offered spots are given up in favor of some other school, and then another 25 come off the waitlist. That's what I've heard around the administration but I'm just an MS1, don't quote me.

Feel free to PM me or tag me or @The_Machine if you have questions directed at current students. Please do not ask me how to prepare for MMIs bc this is by far the most common question I get and it is not specific to Dell nor difficult to google.

Also, I had a low LizzyM and am at Dell now. My one piece of unsolicited advice for folks in similar positions: Dell does not interview people they are not seriously considering. They are very intentional about leaving spots open for January interviewees. If you get an interview with a low LizzyM, the admissions committee is impressed by your passion and personality. They had countless 4.0/520 people, but passed some by for YOU. Interview days are 100% about showcasing your passions/personality, so be genuine. It is your strength and your time to shine. You belong there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Dell will pre-match ~25 slots and match ~25 slots. I think about half of those offered spots are given up in favor of some other school, and then another 25 come off the waitlist. That's what I've heard around the administration but I'm just an MS1, don't quote me.

Feel free to PM me or tag me or @The_Machine if you have questions directed at current students. Please do not ask me how to prepare for MMIs bc this is by far the most common question I get and it is not specific to Dell nor difficult to google.

Also, I had a low LizzyM and am at Dell now. My one piece of unsolicited advice for folks in similar positions: Dell does not interview people they are not seriously considering. They are very intentional about leaving spots open for January interviewees. If you get an interview with a low LizzyM, the admissions committee is impressed by your passion and personality. They had countless 4.0/520 people, but passed some by for YOU. Interview days are 100% about showcasing your passions/personality, so be genuine. It is your strength and your time to shine. You belong there.
can you share when you submitted your secondary when you received an II, and when you actually interviewed? I also have a low LizzyM.

can you share when you submitted your secondary when you received an II, and when you actually interviewed? I also have a low LizzyM.

I submitted my primary July 31st, no idea when that was verified, secondary sometime in September, submitted late September, interview invite early October for a mid October interview. Sorry, idk any dates.

I submitted my primary July 31st, no idea when that was verified, secondary sometime in September, submitted late September, interview invite early October for a mid October interview. Sorry, idk any dates.
Dell does only one or two weeks at a time and so their interview schedule at the moment probably does not go beyond end of the month.

I submitted my secondary about one month ago; if I have not heard back, should I prepare for an R?
absolutely not!! It took over a month for me to get an II after I submitted the secondary! It was about 6 weeks actually

• Wow