2019-2020 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an acceptance call and I'm still on cloud 9 :) I interviewed in November. I read on their website that 100% of their student receive a scholarship, but I haven't received an offer yet. Does anyone know how to scholarship process works?
Congratulations.

Not sure whether 100% claim is true and not sure if they are giving 1000 to everyone to make that claim. Only one poster mentioned receiving 50% scholarship, right above you.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an acceptance call and I'm still on cloud 9 :) I interviewed in November. I read on their website that 100% of their student receive a scholarship, but I haven't received an offer yet. Does anyone know how to scholarship process works?
I talked to a current student who said in previous years 100% have received scholarships ranging from 1/4 to full, but he has heard this upcoming year will be the first year where not everyone gets scholarship.

Does anyone have any experience matching here after not getting a prematch offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any experience matching here after not getting a prematch offer?
About half the class is prematch and half is through the match according to the school

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to a current student who said in previous years 100% have received scholarships ranging from 1/4 to full, but he has heard this upcoming year will be the first year where not everyone gets scholarship.
damn, that is rough. have they sent out scholarship offers/financial aid offers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any current Dell students willing to answer a few questions? :)

Fourth year here. Feel free to PM or ask publicly.
Since you are first batch to apply for residencies, how do you think your batch is faring in terms of specialties and highly ranked residency programs?

Since you are first batch to apply for residencies, how do you think your batch is faring in terms of specialties and highly ranked residency programs?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you a definitive answer until after Match; I could offer you preliminary data that is anecdotal and based on our collective experiences, though, and so I will do that in lieu of numbers and names.

We are a strong group. Our median and mean Step 1 scores were high (I believe 244+); you'll find that Step 1 is the great equalizer. Clinically, we've done well also on aways though that is less objectively measured. As a result, we have enjoyed as a cohort a fair amount of interviews at programs of our choosing. Personally, I've interviewed at some of the best programs in the country for my specialty and not once has my position in the first class come up negatively (if anything, people are pleasantly interested in why someone would pick a new school vs. having their choice of established ones). At more than a few interviews, people knew our faculty by name. At this point, I highly doubt for any new and incoming applicants that novelty will be an issue.

I will be able to provide some preliminary data this Friday; the urology and ophthalmology match will be occurring on Jan. 17th, and I will be able to report their success and correspond that to the esteem of the programs if you so wish. We have 5 out of 50 going optho or urology, so its a data set that represents 10% of our class for a highly competitive subspecialty.

The wisdom I would impart separate from my appreciation of the experience I've had at Dell is that if you take care of business, wherever you go, and get good clinical reviews on your away rotations and high Step 1 scores, no one will care where you went to school so long as it is US MD/DO. Medical school choice, then, should be about if you think they will prepare you for Step and clinical excellence *and* if you feel like you fit the mission and culture. You can thrive where you are miserable, but it's easier if you like the administration, city, population, etc.

Reactions: 7 users
Fourth year here. Feel free to PM or ask publicly.
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it :) As far as rotations and clinical experience, did you feel Dell/Austin area hospitals provided good opportunities or did you feel that it was lacking? Also what are your thoughts on the away rotations you were mentioning?

Do offers go to out of state students even after the match?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you a definitive answer until after Match; I could offer you preliminary data that is anecdotal and based on our collective experiences, though, and so I will do that in lieu of numbers and names.

We are a strong group. Our median and mean Step 1 scores were high (I believe 244+); you'll find that Step 1 is the great equalizer. Clinically, we've done well also on aways though that is less objectively measured. As a result, we have enjoyed as a cohort a fair amount of interviews at programs of our choosing. Personally, I've interviewed at some of the best programs in the country for my specialty and not once has my position in the first class come up negatively (if anything, people are pleasantly interested in why someone would pick a new school vs. having their choice of established ones). At more than a few interviews, people knew our faculty by name. At this point, I highly doubt for any new and incoming applicants that novelty will be an issue.

I will be able to provide some preliminary data this Friday; the urology and ophthalmology match will be occurring on Jan. 17th, and I will be able to report their success and correspond that to the esteem of the programs if you so wish. We have 5 out of 50 going optho or urology, so its a data set that represents 10% of our class for a highly competitive subspecialty.

The wisdom I would impart separate from my appreciation of the experience I've had at Dell is that if you take care of business, wherever you go, and get good clinical reviews on your away rotations and high Step 1 scores, no one will care where you went to school so long as it is US MD/DO. Medical school choice, then, should be about if you think they will prepare you for Step and clinical excellence *and* if you feel like you fit the mission and culture. You can thrive where you are miserable, but it's easier if you like the administration, city, population, etc.

how did the ophtho match go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it :) As far as rotations and clinical experience, did you feel Dell/Austin area hospitals provided good opportunities or did you feel that it was lacking? Also what are your thoughts on the away rotations you were mentioning?

I was asked a similar questions in PMs, so I will rehash that below with some extra info and underline for emphasis more or less the answer to your question:

Clinical training for students occurs in the 2nd and 4th years; the 2nd year is core rotations you would have anywhere else with the exception of EM being a core rotation here at Dell which is not the case everywhere. I will break them down by location for you really quickly:

Internal Medicine : DSMC (hospital across street from school)
Psych/Neuro: DSMC, Seton Main (38th street private hospital - a 10 minute drive north from DSMC), and Shoal Creek Inpatient Psych Hospital(right next to DSMC)
OB/GYN: DSMC, Seton Main
EM: DSMC, Seton Main
Surgery: DSMC, optional Seton Main or Dell Childrens aka DCMC (51st street - 13 minute drive north from DSMC)
Pediatrics: DCMC, clinics adjacent to DCMC and Seton Main (nursery and NICU)

For family medicine, you will receive placement with a family medicine or internist at a clinic where you will go once every two weeks for the 2nd and 3rd year; it comes out to I think about 20 clinic days a year, so a total of about 40. These could be anywhere in Austin, nearly, but many are at Community Care facilities sprinkled around the city. There used to be some out in the boonies (45 minutes away with traffic) but those have been weeded out d/t feedback.

The clinical experience is good - its an academic, university affiliated medical school with multiple residency programs in house. Among schools with those resources, that part of your education is fairly standardized.

A little more about DSMC and Seton Main; DSMC is a Level 1 Trauma center with a fair catchment area for Central Texas. Austin is no Chicago in terms of trauma, but with a million plus people sees its share of MVCs, stabbings, shootings, and even more recently bombings. It is a burn center with all the services of a general hospital (rheum, heme/onc, etc). It is a safety net hospital located close to downtown, so you also see many homeless and intoxicated patients from 6th street, but is not so far from where people live that you don't see diabetics who haven't received care in 20 years. The medical diversity is what you would expect from an urban population - good, with many international patients.

Seton Main is a more of a private hospital center and quartenary care (e.g. transplant center, LVAD patients, etc.) where a lot of really sick patients go that require specialized care. Its where our OB rotation occurs and sees high volumes of mothers, especially those with complicated pregnancies. It is a different feel and gives you some diversity in the type of training and patient care that occurs in places where (sadly) patients with insurance typically prefer to go.

I did not feel that my clinical training was lacking, and when I did subsequent away rotations, did not feel as if I had missed something. I had many opportunities to pursue clinical experiences to my interest, as did much of my class; the only thing we could use is some ENT faculty, IMO.

Away rotations occur through VSAS, which is a similar process as applying to medical school but much less intensive. You apply through AAMC to a hospital wherever you like, and they review your application and decide if they wish to see you. No one in my cohort had any real difficulty achieving these in any specialty when and where they wanted them, to my knowledge. Its kind of a numbers game moreso than a "where do you come from" game.

Hope I answered your question - let me know if you have any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I hear Optho is out today.

I believe you are correct, actually - I haven't asked my friends yet and assumed it would be the same day as urology. My mistake. Good looking out!

how did the ophtho match go?

All matched, and are happy. I won't say where as I've not asked permission to do so. Urology match also "leaked" this morning, as there was a problem with the site. Similar - all matched, all happy.

All matched, and are happy. I won't say where as I've not asked permission to do so. Urology match also "leaked" this morning, as there was a problem with the site. Similar - all matched, all happy.
Congrats to you & your classmates! I will hazard a guess that you matched in urology, as you're already using the urology jokes ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm an OOS student who interviewed in August. I have not sent any updates/ letters of interest. I don't remember what they said about sending updates/ letters of interest. Does anyone know whether this is encouraged? And when OOS students will hear about admissions decisions?

I'm an OOS student who interviewed in August. I have not sent any updates/ letters of interest. I don't remember what they said about sending updates/ letters of interest. Does anyone know whether this is encouraged? And when OOS students will hear about admissions decisions?
If I remember correctly, update letters/letters of intent are discouraged. I think I remember them saying that they don't even look at them!

Matched today. I am beyond excited and still shaking. Literally interviewed 2 weeks ago. Wow!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I asked outright at the end of my interview session, they said that it'd be "okay" to send it, but they're not allowed to factor it into your application. I took that as a no lol.

Didn't match here and haven't yet heard if I'll be waitlisted or rejected. I'm thinking about sending an LOI. Would that be helpful?

Any other accepted students heard anything about when the second look day will be scheduled? I’ll be coming in from out of state, so it’d be nice to be able to start planning....

The second look day/preview day is Saturday Feb. 22nd, they sent out an email on 2/3 about it asking for a RSVP by 2/14. Super annoyed about giving us so little notice.

The second look day/preview day is Saturday Feb. 22nd, they sent out an email on 2/3 about it asking for a RSVP by 2/14. Super annoyed about giving us so little notice.
Huh. I never got that email.... woof. So I guess I’m not going to that lol.

Great news for Dell Med students, the LCME today promoted Dell Med to fully accredited status!
I'm sure there will be a press release, but if you use Facebook you can read it on Dell's Facebook page.

Reactions: 4 users
For those who were able to attend the Preview Weekend: did they say anything about how financial aid works and what the package timeline is? Other than sending FAFSA, is there any other application they'll give us access to?

Anyone surprised by Dell’s match? Saw on Twitter that 28/49 went into primary care

If you noticed the language in their post, it says "28 in primary care, going into specialties that include internal, family, and emergency medicine, pediatrics and ob/gyn." I was surprised too, but it looks like they're considering all of those fields "primary care."

Reactions: 1 user
If you noticed the language in their post, it says "28 in primary care, going into specialties that include internal, family, and emergency medicine, pediatrics and ob/gyn." I was surprised too, but it looks like they're considering all of those fields "primary care."
Media spin at its finest... Dell has done very well for itself and its students but though its mission was basic care, the students are free to choose, in the end, any specialty they are interested in.

Media spin at its finest... Dell has done very well for itself and its students but though its mission was basic care, the students are free to choose, in the end, any specialty they are interested in.

I don't think I'd call Dell a basic care or primary care school. The mission of the school, which you can find throughout its website and core competencies, is "Value-Based Care". All graduates should receive a certificate in value-based care through intersession programming and it is included in our case-based curriculum during MS1. This is widely applicable, even to people going into ortho or EM or dermatology.

A secondary focus of the school is improving health in the community, which I'll also argue is distinct from primary care. I think a lot of schools share a service mindset, but from what I have seen, Dell is more focused on the "creation" aspect of local policy and community initiatives than other schools. One notable consequence of this approach is there is a decent amount of support for social entrepreneurship within the school. For example, a group of our students just started the company "Good Apple" which is designed as a sustainable way to get free fruits/veggies to food insecure families in the Austin community.

The school's brand is focused on creating leaders who want cost-effective healthcare that more people can access, which may or may not be in a primary care setting. You won't feel pressure to go into primary care. Just wanted to clarify that for y'all. I keep seeing it around but feel it isn't accurate.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think I'd call Dell a basic care or primary care school. The mission of the school, which you can find throughout its website and core competencies, is "Value-Based Care". All graduates should receive a certificate in value-based care through intersession programming and it is included in our case-based curriculum during MS1. This is widely applicable, even to people going into ortho or EM or dermatology.

A secondary focus of the school is improving health in the community, which I'll also argue is distinct from primary care. I think a lot of schools share a service mindset, but from what I have seen, Dell is more focused on the "creation" aspect of local policy and community initiatives than other schools. One notable consequence of this approach is there is a decent amount of support for social entrepreneurship within the school. For example, a group of our students just started the company "Good Apple" which is designed as a sustainable way to get free fruits/veggies to food insecure families in the Austin community.

The school's brand is focused on creating leaders who want cost-effective healthcare that more people can access, which may or may not be in a primary care setting. You won't feel pressure to go into primary care. Just wanted to clarify that for y'all. I keep seeing it around but feel it isn't accurate.
Thanks, @tulsajoe94

The selection process for students seems to have 3 components - Research, Service, policy.

creating leaders who want cost-effective healthcare that more people can access seems to fit the selection process.

Does anyone know if they'll give any info about where you're ranked on the WL?

Great news for Dell Med students, the LCME today promoted Dell Med to fully accredited status!
I'm sure there will be a press release, but if you use Facebook you can read it on Dell's Facebook page.

This is great news! Did they say how many incoming students they will matriculate in fall 2021? I know it has been 50 in the past.

Thanks for the "2020 Applciation Status", Dell. I was really holding out hopes to still receive the secondary.
canvas.png

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Hey y'all! Just found out today I've been accepted to Dell off the waitlist. I've spent the entire semester preparing to go to UTMB and was really thrilled about that situation and now I'm pretty confused haha. Any advice on how worthwhile it would be to choose Dell over UTMB now would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Hey y'all! Just found out today I've been accepted to Dell off the waitlist. I've spent the entire semester preparing to go to UTMB and was really thrilled about that situation and now I'm pretty confused haha. Any advice on how worthwhile it would be to choose Dell over UTMB now would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Put it in the "X vs Y" threads, just writing out your pros and cons as if someone else is making the decision and coming back to it the next day will help you. The "advice" and poll are just the kickers. I was accepted off the waitlist, too, though Dell was my first offer so it made my decision VERY easy :p

Put it in the "X vs Y" threads, just writing out your pros and cons as if someone else is making the decision and coming back to it the next day will help you. The "advice" and poll are just the kickers. I was accepted off the waitlist, too, though Dell was my first offer so it made my decision VERY easy :p
Didn't even know that existed on here, thank you! :)