2019-2020 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how the school handles the alternate list vs the waitlist? Currently placed on the alternate list.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the school handles the alternate list vs the waitlist? Currently placed on the alternate list.

Thanks!
They are the same thing. None of the TX schools will assign you a number or tell you “where you are” on the list, so it’s just a waiting game now.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the MSAR waitlist information has been historically accurate? I think they said like 40 acceptances from a WL of 90-100 people.

I think they have been making their class size smaller so it may be a little inaccurate now

I think they have been making their class size smaller so it may be a little inaccurate now
It’s been a while so I could be wrong, but I thought that at the interview day they mentioned that they were increasing their class size this year in comparison to last year?

Reactions: 4 users
It’s been a while so I could be wrong, but I thought that at the interview day they mentioned that they were increasing their class size this year in comparison to last year?

I agree, I thought they mentioned In one of the many interview presentations that it would be increasing from last year’s class size of 125!

I spoke with a current med student and they said typically there has been 10 people taken each year in the last two years

Hopefully there were more offers given out but only 10 individuals accepted the offer, otherwise thats pretty discouraging movement compared to the MSAR.

I was wondering if a current med student could give insight into each clinical sites?
4 years Bryan/College Station
1+3 B/CS-Temple
1+3 B/CS-Dallas
1.5+2.5 B/CS-Houston

Reactions: 2 users
Posting this for my friend at A&M:

For the current A&M med students, what are the pros and cons of the different clinical sites?
-temple
-college station
-Houston
-Dallas

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone (in-state) heard anything about merit-based scholarships?

For the Houston campus, Houston Methodist Willobrook does not have residents so you’re under attendings. People have mentioned this as a con, why?

For the Houston campus, Houston Methodist Willobrook does not have residents so you’re under attendings. People have mentioned this as a con, why?

It puts you at a disadvantage for away rotations and doesn't give you a realistic perspective of how residencies are. Private docs don't have the patient case load that a place with residencies have. You aren't going to be getting to the hospital while it's still dark with a private service doc, while with residents you are. Which means that when you go do away rotations, you are not accustomed to how things run and the time commitments, which puts you at a disadvantage when you're trying to get letters.

Does anyone know the size of the waitlist and/or whether or not if everyone interviewed is placed on it?

From previous threads and the MSAR, it has been stated that TAMU selects alternates for their list as opposed to placing everyone who interviewed for their program on there. As far as the number on the waitlist goes, I'd assume this would vary depending on their specific goals for class size growth based on year. MSAR states that in past it was ~100+ on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if a current med student could give insight into each clinical sites?
4 years Bryan/College Station
1+3 B/CS-Temple
1+3 B/CS-Dallas
1.5+2.5 B/CS-Houston

I can give you some info about the Temple campus. I chose it for a few reasons:

1. Cost of living is significantly lower than Dallas or Houston. (About equal to B/CS)

2. All of your clinical rotations (with the possible exception of family med) are at the same hospital, so you don't have to drive a ton. We spend a few weeks at the VA in Internal Medicine and Surgery, but its about 1 mile from Baylor Scott & White.

3. Pretty nice research opportunities. Most people I have reached out to have been very responsive.

4. You will work with residents. I think that an important part of medical school is learning what will be expected of you as a resident. Houston and Dallas will also work under residents. B/CS, for the most part, will not.

5. A&M students have trained in temple ever since the medical school opened. A bunch of the attendings here are A&M grads and they take pride in helping the next generation of medical students.

I don't know much about the experience on other campuses. If you have any questions about Temple feel free to ask.

Reactions: 4 users
Was asking the size, because I saw earlier that the MSAR stating 40 offers of acceptance to WL was an old figure from when there was a larger class size so I’m not sure about the 100 either

The size of the M1 class this year (EY2020) is 170 students. That is a 50 person increase from EY2019's class of 120 and a 44 person increase from EY2018's class of 126. I will let you know that there have been about two or three who have accepted offers from other schools and have thus relinquished their seats. I'm uncertain if we pull from the waitlist to fill the gap left by MD Plus students, but there are also about five or six of them who will postpone a year to acquire a master's degree.

Edit: Depending on when the MSAR was generated, it could be a much larger class size---TAMHSC was around 225 students in EY2015.

There are already 165 people in our class, so if the next size is 175 then there aren't that many spots. Just a heads up. Good luck! :)

There are already 165 people in our class, so if the next size is 175 then there aren't that many spots. Just a heads up. Good luck! :)
Thanks, @thataggiestudent
For some reason I have had a hard time verifying exactly what the A&M class size is! The new MSAR says 175 for the 20/21 application cycle so that sounds about right!

For those interested in the class size and the breakdown here, it is based off of a spreadsheet they sent us.
~120 MD students
~40 Enmed students (all in Houston)
~10 MD/PhD students (Houston)
so total class size is around 170 as of now

Congrats to everyone making it off the waitlist! Does anyone know if the general trend is for the phone calls to go out on Monday mornings??

So are they only allowing the students off the waitlist to chose between BCS all four years and Temple? That's what I have gathered from my email, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this.

So are they only allowing the students off the waitlist to chose between BCS all four years and Temple? That's what I have gathered from my email, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this.

That’s correct, only temple and BCS are left, Dallas and Houston sites are full

I got off the waitlist yesterday and was asked to choose between BCS and Temple track 1 and 2. I can't find the difference between the two tracks for some reason. Can someone help me please?

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

I got off the waitlist yesterday and was asked to choose between BCS and Temple track 1 and 2. I can't find the difference between the two tracks for some reason. Can someone help me please?

Hi! Congrats!! I Am trying to PM you but, cant. May you message me? :)

Got in off the waitlist this morning! Also can confirm that only Temple and BCS campuses were provided as options... On that note, does anyone know how the AIM longitudinal track's limitations on away-rotations will be impacted by the shift of Step 1 to P/F?

@Vahiyat if you have the time, could you please PM me with your final choice?
Thanks! Wysdoc

If you haven’t chosen already, I would say Temple. The clinical opportunities are far better than BCS (IMO).

I got accepted off the waitlist today.. To say I'm honored is an understatement... cried in the parking lot at McAlester's.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I accepted a position at another school! Hopefully my spot goes to one of you! Best of luck guys! Gig em forever!

2021 applicant here. I noticed on the campus tracks website they no longer list Round Rock.

Is Round Rock no longer an option?