2018-2019 Dell Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II yesterday (10/1) around 3 PM via phone call!
Primary verified 7/2, LOR in 7/12
Secondary sent & completed 8/31
LM 71, IS, ORM
Interview date offered was 10/20 so there are probably more II to come :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I fly in 7pm the night before my interview so I can't go to the social anyways :(
Thanks for the help though, dude. I'm really excited about Dell!

I didn't get to go either, since I was flying in as well! You get to chat with students in the morning before the day starts a bit, which helps. And your tour guide + person to walk you around your interviews are both students as well. Good luck to a fellow OOS-er. Feel free to PM me with any questions about OOS in Texas!

II just now over the phone!
LM 72-73. OOS.
Primary complete 08/10, Secondary sent-in 09/17
I was offered 10/20 but had to decline because of a scientific conference, so 11/13. Looks like there are still quite a few spots!

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now over the phone!
LM 72-73. OOS.
Primary complete 08/10, Secondary sent-in 09/17
I was offered 10/20 but had to decline because of a scientific conference, so 11/13. Looks like there are still quite a few spots!
You were offered an interview on a saturday?

Heads up: If you're interviewing Oct 20th, that's the weekend of Formula 1! Pretty much all hotel rooms in the area were either booked or min $400. DoubleTree Suites ended up having one reasonably priced ($189/night) room open up using the UT Dell Med discounted rate. Just thought I'd pass along the info.
Good luck to everyone!

Can’t wait to interview here! Also did those who interview here go to the night before social? If so did y’all think it was beneficial to go?
yah it was fun! good place to casually ask current students questions too. You'll get more opportunities on interview day but not as relaxed obviously

Does anyone know if dell will start sending OOS acceptances next week? (Oct 15)

It seems as though complaining about lack of secondaries and interviews in this thread leads to some success. I'm just saying if you put what you want to receive out into the world it seems to find a way to manifest. Just received my secondary invite today.

They notified me that they received my application in early June, for anyone who may still be waiting for their secondary.

Alright I'm trying this out of desperation..
DELL GIVE ME DAT SECONDARY PLSSSSS HOW YOU GONNA PASS ME UP LIKE :(

Alright I'm trying this out of desperation..
DELL GIVE ME DAT SECONDARY PLSSSSS HOW YOU GONNA PASS ME UP LIKE :(

+1. I would like to think those years of no sleep in order to maintain a 4.0 while working and raising a family plus thousands of volunteer hrs would at least be worth a secondary.

For those who have been to the pre-interview social, how did you dress?

@chemist13579 @medschool19

Casual. It was just the med students at mine and they were in regular clothes or scrubs. I'd say anywhere between jeans and a nice shirt/blouse/button down and snappy casual would be fine.

Edit to clarify even further: imagine you are going out to eat at a nice chain or going to a friend's birthday dinner at their family home.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to update everybody! Transmitted application 6/15. Received secondary 9/20. Transmitted secondary 9/24. Received II 3 days ago on the 10/12 for an interview in a week!!!!!! I have no idea how i got the interview i really thought i blew any chance i had with that video secondary. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if Dell has their stats back for their first STEP 1 scores? I'm curious what their average is being such a new school with a very different curriculum from other TX schools.

Does anyone know if Dell has their stats back for their first STEP 1 scores? I'm curious what their average is being such a new school with a very different curriculum from other TX schools.

At my interview, I believe they said the average was > 240 and everyone passed. While not all schools had released their STEP 1 scores, they said they had some shockingly competitive scores (better than Baylor's previous year average).

At my interview, I believe they said the average was > 240 and everyone passed. While not all schools had released their STEP 1 scores, they said they had some shockingly competitive scores (better than Baylor's previous year average).

The median is 249! I think the average was 244. With all the students scores. Compared to last year’s scores, this year’s Dell scores are highest in the nation

Secondary today. TMDSAS complete late May. LM 73

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II like 10 minutes ago!!! Received secondary on 10/5, completed on 10/8. I was genuinely not expecting this because my video interview was ROUGH lol but very excited!

Reactions: 5 users
II like 10 minutes ago!!! Received secondary on 10/5, completed on 10/8. I was genuinely not expecting this because my video interview was ROUGH lol but very excited!
Congrats! Could you share what dates you were offered?

Any OOS peeps hear about admission decisions yet? Dell's been pretty quiet. I got a call from a 512 number yesterday only to hear a very eager telemarketer!

Any OOS peeps hear about admission decisions yet? Dell's been pretty quiet. I got a call from a 512 number yesterday only to hear a very eager telemarketer!
RIP!! that must’ve given you a heart attack

Reactions: 1 user
do you think I’ll get a secondary if I go buy a dell computer right now?

Reactions: 7 users
II just now!

Secondary received 9/20 and submitted on 10/20.

Interviewing on 11/13. IS Applicant. LM 70ish.

Edit: There is always hope. I didn't expect to interview here at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The median is 249! I think the average was 244. With all the students scores. Compared to last year’s scores, this year’s Dell scores are highest in the nation

Can confirm.

If anyone has any pointed questions about things, I can answer as well. Best of luck; I've probably seen a few of you on interview days. Ya'll look great. :)

Can confirm.

If anyone has any pointed questions about things, I can answer as well. Best of luck; I've probably seen a few of you on interview days. Ya'll look great. :)

Wondering what the odds are of getting a II if I feel like I did pretty bad on the video response. Thanks

Wondering what the odds are of getting a II if I feel like I did pretty bad on the video response. Thanks
If you look at most early posts in this thread you'll see that there was consensus that everyone bombed it and still got IIs. I actually didn't think I bombed mine at first, but started to feel that way as it got to be over a month since I submitted mine and I recently got an II myself. I personally felt like my examples were unclear because I had to explain a bunch of relationships among people; toward the end I had nightmares of myself rambling a bunch of non-sense :smack:

Oh my goodness, I loveeeeed Dell. What an awesome, unique school!

Dell was an amazing school to interview at, very impressive. Baylor, Dell, and UTMB are the three schools in Texas that left me feeling that I'd belong there. The only thing I didn't like about Dell was that I believe many of the classes are mandatory attendance and not streamed. But with only 1 year of pre-clinical not that big of a deal.

Reactions: 3 users
Dell was an amazing school to interview at, very impressive. Baylor, Dell, and UTMB are the three schools in Texas that left me feeling that I'd belong there. The only thing I didn't like about Dell was that I believe many of the classes are mandatory attendance and not streamed. But with only 1 year of pre-clinical not that big of a deal.
Yeah I agree with you, but my med student guide told me that the classes aren’t traditional at all. They are flipped so there isn’t really a “lecture” to be streamed. Just students and professors discussing the topics!

Classes are not mandatory, i.e. there is no impact on your grade for not attending, except for whatever information is lost. The 'goal' of the classes are to be flipped (as Morthy c137 suggested) such that video recordings of the class would not be helpful; if a significant portion of the time is spent discussing things in small groups or answering questions from the professors, then a recording would not be particularly valuable. More on this in response to his statement below.

Further, with such small class sizes (50) it is nice to be at the school if not at class, if only for bonding reasons. We're a pretty tight knit community in each class, and so we do encourage people to come to our learning space rather than staying home (which, is not possible with are CBL/PBL schedule, which are in the mornings, are mandatory, and take place immediately before our 'classes'); but again, no faculty pressure to attend and no upperclassman pressure to attend, more of just a student culture thing that has developed organically in each class so far.

Yeah I agree with you, but my med student guide told me that the classes aren’t traditional at all. They are flipped so there isn’t really a “lecture” to be streamed. Just students and professors discussing the topics!

Your med student guide is right in that there are earnest attempts being made to that end. However, because we do have clinicians and other people coming in at times to present cases, etc. that are not aware of the curriculum, the "flipped style" to classical lecture ratio is something like 3:1. It is still a valid criticism if people value not going to class and doing things on their own time. But there are plenty of students who really enjoy how we do it here and we feel like it is a great way to learn, so we're not really trying to please everyone in this regard - if it is a deal breaker, other Texas schools are *excellent* places to become physicians too, so my advice to those with reservations is to make decisions that you feel are best for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, pre-match offers begin going out today.

Don't be bummed if you don't get one right away, or if you don't get one at all; a lot gets done on the match day and later off the wait list. How does that Florida Georgia Line song go? If it's meant to be, it'll be. You're all All-Stars. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I haven't heard anything nor have I heard of anyone hearing anything. Remaining hopeful for phone calls tomorrow?
Someone on last year's thread got a call at around 5 pm on the first day of pre-match, so there's still a chance for today

Multiple people got acceptance calls (not necessarily pre-match) after 5pm last year. Very possible the dean just gets busy during the work day haha

Multiple people got acceptance calls (not necessarily pre-match) after 5pm last year. Very possible the dean just gets busy during the work day haha
Lol well guess I'm not safe from jumping at any noise my phone makes today even after business hours.

II yesterday
TMDSAS submitted - May
Secondary received- Oct. 24
Secondary Submitted - Oct 26

How do you know there've been no matches so far?

No one has reported them anywhere on here and none of the people interviewed with have heard back yet. Usually, every year, someone reported it on sdn on nov 15