2018-2019 Carle-Illinois College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet, their secondary is very different from other schools. Hopefully they send it soon.

Has anyone received any contact at all? A confirmation of the primary or anything?

Secondary received! Not sure if there’s a screen or not, but at least it’s free which makes my wallet happy. It seems like a lot of work though...I think I prefer Dell’s non-traditional secondary :D
—————————————————
“We want to get to know you through the secondary application. We're looking for physician-innovators; and in leading by example, we are offering an innovative, non-traditional secondary application process. Show us how you are prepared for our unique curriculum, built at the intersection of engineering and medicine. What evidence from your background supports your success? Do you have experience in coding, collaboration, health system management, healthcare delivery, or advanced understanding of our suggested course work? Tell us how you will thrive at Carle Illinois!

You are asked to upload one, 1-page artifact (as a PDF; formatted no larger than 8.5x11") per value (Creativity, Compassion, Curiosity). Images, certificates, text or other visual options are allowed, however, hyperlinks and embedded videos are prohibited. You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage) to demonstrate your qualifications and awards, and you may repeat experiences that are listed on your AMCAS application.

Creativity

We know that complex problems require dynamic thinking and creative solutions. Help us see your creativity!

Show Us - What are the ways you demonstrate you have an active mind? What are you really proud of? For example, have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What types of innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, or hobbies? Have you taken a risk to respond to a problem, to express yourself, or to achieve your goals? Describe how you live and lead a creative life.

Tell Us - In 250 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity. If a time commitment was involved, please share your level of commitment (e.g. total hours/years invested; your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

Compassion
We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare's most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.

Show Us - How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Share with us how you’ve impacted a larger population, and help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.

Tell Us - In 250 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Compassion. If a time commitment was involved, please share your level of commitment (e.g. total hours/years invested; your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

Curiosity
Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!

Show Us - How have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Have you identified a need and taken the initiative to respond to that need? For example, is there a research project or work experience you’d like to share? Has your curiosity fostered a deeper sense of vulnerability, resilience, or life-long learning? If so, how? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.

Tell Us - In 250 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Curiosity. If a time commitment was involved, please share your level of commitment (e.g. total hours/years invested; your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).

VIDEO ESSAY
In the video essay, we are asking you to answer 5 questions within one recording session. After testing your device, you may enter the recording session. The questions will appear on the webpage, and you will have five minutes to prepare a response. Professional attire is not required, however, we encourage you to record in a distraction free environment. The actual recording session will run for six minutes; we encourage you to briefly introduce yourself, and spend roughly one minute per question. A countdown clock will be running (in seconds) during the recording to assist you with the timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure what format they're expecting for the portfolios, but I guess that's what makes this unique? They use the word "collage" but I guess it'll end up being more of a brochure type with pictures and words to explain myself. Ugh a lot more thought is going to go into this one than any of the essays I've done.

Secondary received today! Does anyone know if they pre-screen or not :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. They stated they screened first, I'm guessing it's a pretty holistic screen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Are there any M1s or M2s in here who might be able to speak about the school? I'd be interested to know how much the idea of Carle being the intersection of medicine and engineering plays into the curriculum and lives of the students!

Are there any M1s or M2s in here who might be able to speak about the school? I'd be interested to know how much the idea of Carle being the intersection of medicine and engineering plays into the curriculum and lives of the students!
Check out last year's thread. There's no M2s yet.

Their first class only has 32 students, I would be surprised if we got any replies from them.

Anybody receive a secondary yet?
got one 7/28 but honestly not going to submit it... too much work and I did not take multivariable calculus or linear algebra (their recommended courses)
509 cGPA 3.9 sGPA 3.88

got one 7/28 but honestly not going to submit it... too much work and I did not take multivariable calculus or linear algebra (their recommended courses)
509 cGPA 3.9 sGPA 3.88

Same. I didn't take those courses and just too much work. Those who are excited about the school and committed to the secondary should have a better shot to get in (I am not one of them).

516 cGPA 3.98 sGPA 3.94

Ummm....I opened the secondary only to realize, I am never gonna do it lmaoo. This is so over the top

I just finished the secondary. I actually had fun doing it. Was really nervous during the video part though! I suggest you do it just because its free and its an interesting process.

I just finished the secondary. I actually had fun doing it. Was really nervous during the video part though! I suggest you do it just because its free and its an interesting process.
What sorts of questions did they ask in the video? Should I prepare a statement on my favorite ice cream flavor?

anyone care to share what kind of questions they ask? any help would be so greatly appreciated!

anyone care to share what kind of questions they ask? any help would be so greatly appreciated!

Nothing surprising. Why us, diversity, etc... If you worked on several other secondaries, video essay questions should be pretty familiar. It's just in verbal form. :) Shoving in introduction and 5 answers into 6 minutes is not easy though. 6 minutes felt like 30 seconds to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing surprising. Why us, diversity, etc... If you worked on several other secondaries, video essay questions should be pretty familiar. It's just in verbal form. :) Shoving in introduction and 5 answers into 6 minutes is not easy though. 6 minutes felt like 30 seconds to me.

Cool, good to know! I'll motivate myself to do that this weekend haha. And the collages. I haven't made a collage since middle school.

When they say " You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage)" do they mean more than one PDF? Has anyone submit more than one PDF? I tried to make a collage all in one PDF.

When they say " You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage)" do they mean more than one PDF? Has anyone submit more than one PDF? I tried to make a collage all in one PDF.
I think they want a collage of pictures or other examples in one PDF. At least that's what I did. Pictures or logos of places I've worked/volunteered at

I have no engineering background...is it safe to say not to apply here haha

I have no engineering background...is it safe to say not to apply here haha
No idea. Same boat but I applied, got the secondary and turned it in. It was free. I figured why not?

I'm planning to use a photo in my collage that I did not take personally. Thoughts on if I need to cite my source?

I'm planning to use a photo in my collage that I did not take personally. Thoughts on if I need to cite my source?

I used a photo from a company's website and wrote "Photo credit: Company Name" right underneath

For the collage, how much text can we use? I feel that writing does a better job showing these values than a collection of images.

Can I use writing as the main component and images as supplementary illustration?

For the collage, how much text can we use? I feel that writing does a better job showing these values than a collection of images.

Can I use writing as the main component and images as supplementary illustration?
From what I Have gained talking to someone from admissions, you can submit pretty much anything.. The artifact could be an essay, collage, letter of rec, etc

They don’t interview, right? I think as soon as Oct 15 we can start hearing back for acceptances, waitlists, etc. I wonder how big their 2019 class will be

They don’t interview, right? I think as soon as Oct 15 we can start hearing back for acceptances, waitlists, etc. I wonder how big their 2019 class will be
Probably similar to last years of 32. They don't interview but they have on campus invitation only mixer things

Got an invite to the open house. Look forward to learn more about this school

Reactions: 2 users
+1 for the mixer thing! Just got it. It looks like the same invite that went out last year based on last year's thread. I think it's based off of primary apps.

So I was about to finish the third essay when I looked at the inaugural class’ profile. Their WHOLE inaugural class has some connection to engineering. Some with a Master’s and Doctorate. I stand no chance. I’ll be happy if anyone gets in with only a humanities degree. Good luck!

So I was about to finish the third essay when I looked at the inaugural class’ profile. Their WHOLE inaugural class has some connection to engineering. Some with a Master’s and Doctorate. I stand no chance. I’ll be happy if anyone gets in with only a humanities degree. Good luck!
I did it anyway, because it was free lol

Just got invited to the open house as well! Super excited to learn more about their mission.

I did it anyway, because it was free lol

Bahaha just finally found the class.... Yeah, why did I apply here? I have 0 chance. Many of them went to grad programs at ivy league schools.

Got the open house invite as well! Hope I can make the date... If only it was all expenses paid trip lol

Does anyone know how many people get invited to the open house mixers? I know they are having a couple of them in the coming months

Also got an open house invite! As a hum major!

How competitive to you think “most competitive” is? My LM is 68

Also just got the invite to open house! Just finished undergrad with a major not directly related to engineering. Excited to learn more about the faculty this early on in the process - just seems like a great opportunity to get a feel for the vibe of this school.