2017-2018 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II also :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II here today as well! Submitted secondary 7/23! Good luck all :)

Reactions: 2 users
Are they screening this year?

Just received a secondary at 4:30 AM on a Saturday, the day after being verified. 521, 3.58.

There's no way the screen is the same this year as last year is there?

They're still screening. I received an email that they got my application, but no secondary - it's been nearly a month. 522, 3.43.

Got this email as well :oops: It was so nice that I kind of felt bad about it! Luckily, two of my Duke essays fit quite nicely in the autobiography so it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating.

Yeah, with this approach the autobiography isn't turning out to be nearly as bad as I expected. Now I'm running into word count issues...... I want to use a bunch of my Duke essays but I just don't have room! How many "events" did you flesh out? I might only have room for like, 2 or maybe 3 if I trim a bunch of stuff down

They're still screening. I received an email that they got my application, but no secondary - it's been nearly a month. 522, 3.43.
How long do you think there's still hope for a secondary? I'm not really feeling it now that people are getting interviews...

How long do you think there's still hope for a secondary? I'm not really feeling it now that people are getting interviews...

I called them up last week and they said they continue to send out secondaries throughout the season. I imagine that if we don't get one before the deadline to return them, then we are definitely rejected. I'm assuming I'm rejected now and they just don't bother sending rejections out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I hate that MS word says I'm at 1217 words and the text box in the app says I'm at 1273. :-/ 17 words is a lot easier to cut down lmao

Has anyone with an II heard back from student housing yet? Kind of don't want to drop more money on a hotel :/
I didn't request student housing cause I'm arriving super late, but you could check out the music city hostel or downtown hostel -- I was checking them out for being pretty damn cheap if you don't mind the hostel style. Music city hostel seems to be very close to campus, too.

II earlier today! Stats: rising senior, 4.0 GPA, 524 MCAT. Submitted secondary 8/6.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who completed the secondaries, for the presentations/publications part, what counts as presentations of original work? If I have done faculty-mentored research or research through summer programs, can I submit that info as a presentation? Or is it just for independent research?

For those who completed the secondaries, for the presentations/publications part, what counts as presentations of original work? If I have done faculty-mentored research or research through summer programs, can I submit that info as a presentation? Or is it just for independent research?

I think if you presented it at the end of the summer program at some sort of symposium, that could probably count. But FYI, I just looked at my submitted secondary and I'm not sure where you're seeing them asking for presentations/publications?

I think if you presented it at the end of the summer program at some sort of symposium, that could probably count. But FYI, I just looked at my submitted secondary and I'm not sure where you're seeing them asking for presentations/publications?

I am applying MD/PhD so maybe that is unique to the MD/PhD application?

I am applying MD/PhD so maybe that is unique to the MD/PhD application?

Yup, that would make sense! If you're applying MD/PhD I would hype your research experience as much as possible -- I would count those end of summer research presentations and posters, because whether it was independent research or faculty-mentored/through a formal program, you still have developed those skills.

Still no secondary but 3.61/511 so am not expecting much. WAY out of range for me but saw they accepted as low as 507 and 3.1 cGPA last year

Still no secondary but 3.61/511 so am not expecting much. WAY out of range for me but saw they accepted as low as 507 and 3.1 cGPA last year

I'm starting to wonder when I should actually stop watching this thread, right?

I'm starting to wonder when I should actually stop watching this thread, right?

I feel like that for pretty much every thread right now since most of my schools are reaches with my stats lol

On the applicant portal it shows a green bar and check mark over AMCAS app and secondary app, but "3. under review" is still white. Does this mean that they just haven't gotten to my app yet or am I missing something? I submitted my secondary weeks ago. I'm not sure if I should email them.

On the applicant portal it shows a green bar and check mark over AMCAS app and secondary app, but "3. under review" is still white. Does this mean that they just haven't gotten to my app yet or am I missing something? I submitted my secondary weeks ago. I'm not sure if I should email them.

+1

If you hover over the white box, it will bring up a bubble that says your application is under review. I think you are fine.

Mine doesn't seem to do that... maybe I will send them an email.

Oh really? Here is how it appears on my comp.
upload_2017-9-7_13-53-26.png

I have no idea how to resize the image to make it less aggressively large.

+1 yeah mine does not do that and it does not have a clock symbol next to the "3" either

Huh not sure what is up - let me know if you find out what makes the distinction.

I emailed them they said that mine was in review even without the hover feature, so i guess it is fine

Reactions: 1 users
Fun fact to break up the silence on this thread: apparently they took a total of 0 people from the waitlist last year.

I find this both encouraging and terrifying :eek:

Reactions: 3 users

This gives me hope that they may finally reject me before the season ends. Because I can't imagine I'm getting a secondary any time soon. Best of luck with your other applications! We can commiserate together.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected pre-secondary today as well, but its okay though because I already have three other interviews so I am not too sad about it. I am slightly confused as to why though considering one of my II is at a top 25...

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected pre-secondary today as well, but its okay though because I already have three other interviews so I am not too sad about it. I am slightly confused as to why though considering one of my II is at a top 25...
Congrats on your three interviews! Good luck

same, but best of luck

For people complete around mid-August, do you have the clock symbol next to "Under Review" on the portal?

For people complete around mid-August, do you have the clock symbol next to "Under Review" on the portal?

Nope, mine doesn't have the symbol on it and I submitted on 8/14.
Do they/have they rejected anyone post-secondary yet?