2017-2018 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
am I the only one with an aversion to this autobiography
I hated it, and then I kind of got into it, and now I that I'm looking at it again I'm having mixed feelings :dead:

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly wasn't expecting to receive a secondary but just got one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it count against us if we put No on the FERPA Waiver?

Holy Moly!!! OMG!!! Biggest shocker thus far!!! Never ever ever ever expected this invite!

Reactions: 1 user
am I the only one with an aversion to this autobiography

This cycle's game of would you rather: Would you rather write one 1200 word all-encompassing autobiography for Vanderbilt, or six 600 word essays for Duke? :hungover:

Reactions: 7 users
Just got a secondary. Does anyone know if they lowered thier cut offs because I honestly was not expecting to pass thier initial screen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a secondary. Does anyone know if they lowered thier cut offs because I honestly was not expecting to pass thier initial screen?

Hmm, I do wonder if Vanderbilt is still screening this year. I heard that Mayo, which had a heavy screen in previous years, didn't screen this year so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Alternatively, depending on the type of problem Vanderbilt was having with AMCAS, perhaps they were able to review applications the entire time but couldn't send out secondaries until now, so all of them were sent at once.

Is it worth filling out this secondary with a 513/4.0 ? I'm hesitant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would - The infographic shows that they have accepted 70th percentile MCAT scores and yours is above that.

Has anyone with a low GPA (<3.5) gotten a secondary? I realize the infographic shows 3.1 as the lowest they accepted last year, but I still have very little hope of getting a secondary from them.

Hmm, I do wonder if Vanderbilt is still screening this year. I heard that Mayo, which had a heavy screen in previous years, didn't screen this year so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Alternatively, depending on the type of problem Vanderbilt was having with AMCAS, perhaps they were able to review applications the entire time but couldn't send out secondaries until now, so all of them were sent at once.

Hopefully, it is the second option. We need more schools to screen, not less.

Hopefully, it is the second option. We need more schools to screen, not less.
According to their admissions website, they are still screening out ~2/3 of applicants prior to secondaries being sent.

According to their admissions website, they are still screening out ~2/3 of applicants prior to secondaries being sent.
After what happened with mayo, I'm not gonna let myself get excited about getting this one.

Reactions: 3 users
After what happened with mayo, I'm not gonna let myself get excited about getting this one.

Well if we received that initial email saying that they participate in a screening process, isn't it fair to assume that they're still screening this year? (Just trying to be a beacon of hope here, haha. But I also think this is a very rational assumption).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well if we received that initial email saying that they participate in a screening process, isn't it fair to assume that they're still screening this year? (Just trying to be a beacon of hope here, haha. But I also think this is a very rational assumption).

That was my assumption. I mean, the e-mail said they were screening, so I took them at their word. Lol

Secondary today, BTW. 3.6/516, so they must not be screening all that hard!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Mayo said the same thing.

I'd hope they were still screening rigorously (whether holistically or by stats) simply because no one should have to write this autobiography unnecessarily :(

I would bet a large sum of money that they are not screening this year. Maybe due to the amcas->vanderbilt transmission of apps error and inability to screen until now so they just said screw it and sent it to everyone.

I would bet a large sum of money that they are not screening this year. Maybe due to the amcas->vanderbilt transmission of apps error and inability to screen until now so they just said screw it and sent it to everyone.

Kind of wish that was true, but I definitely haven't seen a secondary and I did receive the email saying they were looking through my application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With all this talk about not screening, you guys sure do know how to bring a person back to Earth. (I suspect it's correct though.)

Do you think admissions would truthfully tell us what's going on if we call next week?

Bruh... UCSD's autobiography is 6000 characters.
I'm not applying to UCSD, but my Vanderbilt essay actually started out way over 1200 words (more like 15000 characters) and had to get cut back a lot. So it's less the length and more that writing an interesting autobiography is uniquely not easy lol

I wonder if Vanderbilt will still be releasing their first interviews on August 9 like it says on their timeline... not to be thinking too far ahead when I haven't even submitted my secondary :whistle:

I called admissions today, and they indeed are screening for secondaries. They said that the process is still underway and that more secondaries will be released to applicants this week.

I called admissions today, and they indeed are screening for secondaries. They said that the process is still underway and that more secondaries will be released to applicants this week.
Do we know if this is strictly numerical?

Do we know if this is strictly numerical?

I asked if they're able to release that information, and they told me that they don't disclose too much information about the screening process.

I get the feeling that they are not screening. I know someone who got a secondary on Saturday after getting verified on Friday...

I believe they are screening.

I haven't received one yet.

Verified 6/28
3.2/519

I get the feeling that they are not screening. I know someone who got a secondary on Saturday after getting verified on Friday...

What were the stats? They might have been high enough for the auto secondary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were the stats? They might have been high enough for the auto secondary

I have a 3.8+ and 515+ and I experienced something similar. Verified last week and secondary within 2 days.

@Sagacious Scholar
@Highdrogen

I actually don't know the cutoff for automatic secondary LOL I just know there was one in the past. It was like 3.8+/37+ or something, and however that translates to new MCAT. So you two would probably have passed it but idk

@Sagacious Scholar
@Highdrogen

I actually don't know the cutoff for automatic secondary LOL I just know there was one in the past. It was like 3.8+/37+ or something, and however that translates to new MCAT. So you two would probably have passed it but idk

I think my MCAT is more like 35-36. Maybe my GPA made up for it? idk