2017-2018 University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was your mcat score if you don’t mind me asking?
Just curious how much emphasis they put on academics
Are you a nv resident ?
What makes you say you didn’t click well Was it awkward at times ?
This is really my top choice, i plan to practice and serve the community of southern nevada in the long run so it is a perfect fit and aligns with my goals
would love to be educated and practice here
thanks for the replies
I just looked over the list and had an idea of what I wanted to say for each, but didn’t memorize any answers. It’s always okay to take a min to think about your responses. My interviewers didn’t exactly stick strictly to questions and we had more of a conversation.

I don’t think the interview determines if you get in or not. I didn’t click well with one of my interviewers and I still got an acceptance back in Nov, so I think they do a holistic review when deciding post-interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MCAT 518, NV resident.

The interviewer I had was stone-cold and it was basically like an interrogation. Didn’t enjoy that one that much.
Is it safe to say you are attending? Haha

MCAT 518, NV resident.

The interviewer I had was stone-cold and it was basically like an interrogation. Didn’t enjoy that one that much.

Really? By far, this was the most enjoyable interview for me. I felt I was interrogated at my other interviews though so I guess its just comes down to luck of the draw. =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 1/6 interview heard anything? It was a huge group! My interview was extremely laid back and conversational. Also the boxed sandwich was pretty decent. Also the beverage availability and variety was really excellent.

Has anyone from the 1/6 interview heard anything? It was a huge group! My interview was extremely laid back and conversational. Also the boxed sandwich was pretty decent. Also the beverage availability and variety was really excellent.

Someone on here posted that January calls were made(which included the January 6th group). Additionally the director of admission confirmed that calls were made to someone on here who went to the admission office.

Someone on here posted that January calls were made(which included the January 6th group). Additionally the director of admission confirmed that calls were made to someone on here who went to the admission office.
Oh okay, from reading this thread it looks like they haven't given out many acceptances? Perhaps they're waiting until they are done with all their interviews until they start making lots of decisions? I don't know. It's like trying to read the tea leaves. I will say that I liked all my fellow interviewees so the admissions team does have some tough decisions to make.

Oh okay, from reading this thread it looks like they haven't given out many acceptances? Perhaps they're waiting until they are done with all their interviews until they start making lots of decisions? I don't know. It's like trying to read the tea leaves. I will say that I liked all my fellow interviewees so the admissions team does have some tough decisions to make.

A member of the unlv’s First class came on here bringing up the possibility that less than half of acceptances have gone out. However, that includes waitlist spots, which is still a great unknown. I think that there will be acceptance calls in February and waitlist/rejection decisions in March. There is a lot of speculation so nobody knows the exact situation in admissions.

Have any of you guys sent letters after the interview? How did it work out for you? I'm pretty much barely holding myself back from sending a gusher about how much I love their program.

Have any of you guys sent letters after the interview? How did it work out for you? I'm pretty much barely holding myself back from sending a gusher about how much I love their program.

We were told not to by Dr. Parrish. He said that he didn’t want to get thank you letters. I am not kidding, haha.

We were told not to by Dr. Parrish. He said that he didn’t want to get thank you letters. I am not kidding, haha.

Yeah I remember him saying that. I wanted to send a LOI ever since I interviewed but I have had to refrain.

Correct. Dr. p said absolutely no updates unless UNLV specifically request for it. Wanted to send publications but on interview day he told me it wouldn't make a difference in my application.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge, guys. Now it's like an unsent love letter in my drafts folder.

Well it’s Valentine’s Day. Send it anonymously and let them figure out who it is from your handwriting. True love. Jk. Can confirm he said didn’t want updates.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well it’s Valentine’s Day. Send it anonymously and let them figure out who it is from your handwriting. True love. Jk. Can confirm he said didn’t want updates.

The Rebels are red,
Deep is the sea
You know it's my dream
to attend UNLV

-Your secret admirer
AMCAS ID 1234567

P.S. Please add Shakespearean poet to my list of activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to chime in on the conversation. I was part of the 1/6 group and thankfully was given an acceptance a few weeks ago. Also for those without stellar stats keep your heads up as my stats weren't too great but I believe my interview is what really helped me the most. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Lol congrats to those people... wish them the best... as for me:
10tk2a.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Same. I give up. There's only room for like 23 people last year who got accepted on the waitlist. And theres 240 people left. So, I have a 10% chance of getting on the waitlist.... thats the interview rate for a lot of schools and nobody says getting an interview is easy... so getting on the waitlist seems impossible based on chances.

Just wanted to chime in on the conversation. I was part of the 1/6 group and thankfully was given an acceptance a few weeks ago. Also for those without stellar stats keep your heads up as my stats weren't too great but I believe my interview is what really helped me the most. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! Mind saying what your stats were?

I only have one theory at this point on my likely rejection. My secondary photo wasn't good enough. I don’t have the chiseled beauty of Steve Wynn or Sheldon Adelson. RIP.
large.jpg

How was your experience at the interview ? What about you or the way you approached your interview do you think led to your success ? Just curious feel free to inbox me if you’d prefer
Thanks! I have a lizzy m score of 60 so hopefully that gives hope to you all!

Anybody else having an inner monologue about their chances?

"I have a great chance of getting in, my interview went well. Are you sure about that? Wait, did I actually tell my interviewer that? Great, you just totally messed up your chances. But, they told you that you would be a good fit. I have no idea."

Literally the conversation I have with myself every half an hour.

For those that interviewed, as well as any current students, are you able to comment at all on the curriculum? It has been awhile since my interview and I want to make sure my information is correct.

For those that interviewed, as well as any current students, are you able to comment at all on the curriculum? It has been awhile since my interview and I want to make sure my information is correct.

I'm just recalling so don't quote me on the accuracy of any of the things I say.

Some key things I remember are they are using virtual cadavers for dissection to help save time for students to focus on other areas instead of dissecting fascia. They also have clinical rotations that are longitudinal instead of in rotations. I.e. you won't do 6 weeks in surgery, 6 internal. Instead you'll have all the rotations but it'll be broken down into Mondays are surgery, Tuesdays are internal, Wednesday is family med throughout the year. School starts July instead of August to give us EMT training and population health sessions. There are PBLs.

Last edited:
I'm just recalling so don't quote me on the accuracy of any the things I say.

Some key things I remember are they are using virtual cadavers for dissection to help save time for students to focus on other areas instead of dissecting fascia. They also have clinical rotations that are longitudinal instead of in rotations. I.e. you won't do 6 weeks in surgery, 6 internal. Instead you'll have all the rotations but it'll be broken down into Mondays are surgery, Tuesdays are internal, Wednesday is family med throughout the year. School starts July instead of August to give us EMT training and population health sessions. There are PBLs.

Thanks! Do you know if they said it's 100% pbl or are there traditional lectures to go along with the material/PBL?

Thanks! Do you know if they said it's 100% pbl or are there traditional lectures to go along with the material/PBL?

Uhh, looking at the packet they handed out to us during interview day I believe its both lecture and PBL. Maybe send them an email asking? I was just going to go to second look day with a list of questions.

Uhh, looking at the packet they handed out to us during interview day I believe its both lecture and PBL. Maybe send them an email asking? I was just going to go to second look day with a list of questions.

Same, I have a list of questions for the second look day too. I just was checking to see if someone on this forum could answer a couple questions for me haha thanks!

We have lecture and PBL. PBL twice a week and lecture 2 or 3 times a week depending if its a test week or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think they will do another round of acceptances today or not till March?

Last I heard there will be a last committee meeting in two weeks so I assume decisions will be around then

For those accepted, have you received the scholarship application? Dr. P said it would be released very soon but its been about two weeks since he sent that email.

So, I remember reading that the last committee meeting to decide our fate will be March 9th. Does anyone know if that is still holding true?

So, I remember reading that the last committee meeting to decide our fate will be March 9th. Does anyone know if that is still holding true?
Yes, that is correct!

Hope everything bodes well for us today at the last committee meeting!

Reactions: 6 users
I know the committee meeting was Friday but does anyone know when we are supposed to get decisions??

I am sure phone calls are being made as I am typing this right now. There has been a trend on sdn. No one usually posts on call day. Everyone who didn't get a call hopes that calls were not made that day. Some member of the first Unlv class comes on like a few days later letting the thread know that calls were in fact made on the day they were supposed to.

I think waitlist/denials go out throughout the week.

I am sure phone calls are being made as I am typing this right now. There has been a trend on sdn. No one usually posts on call day. Everyone who didn't get a call hopes that calls were not made that day. Some member of the first Unlv class comes on like a few days later letting the thread know that calls were in fact made on the day they were supposed to.

I think waitlist/denials go out throughout the week.
Yep. That's what always happens!

So in the past they have always called the day following the committee meeting??

No, but its likely. It just seems logical that they are trying to make calls on the day closest to committee meeting, but not on the day of the committee meeting.

I feel like a car salesman where a customer shops around at multiple dealerships and keeps my hopes up by visiting every month... but in the end after visiting months ago they end up buying from someone else fml

I feel like a car salesman where a customer shops around at multiple dealerships and keeps my hopes up by visiting every month... but in the end after visiting months ago they end up buying from someone else fml

In other words, they already made their decision even tho they seem to act like they are interested.

Based on past experience of previous rounds, I’m guessing by now acceptance calls have gone out. Have to go by guesssing since unlv won’t tell us when it’ll happen and i only know about the March 9 date on sdn....

Check your email. Just got a waitlist decision notification.