2017-2018 University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I prepared by reviewing my experiences and seeing how they aligned with the questions. I didn't have any memorized answers, I knew it wouldn't feel real if I did that so I just had a general picture of what I wanted to talk about and had a conversation with my interviewers. They were very friendly and responsive towards each of my answers which I appreciated. This interview actually ruined other interviews for me because of the length of time (45 minutes, which still goes by quick). I feel rushed in my other interviews now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I prepared by reviewing my experiences and seeing how they aligned with the questions. I didn't have any memorized answers, I knew it wouldn't feel real if I did that so I just had a general picture of what I wanted to talk about and had a conversation with my interviewers. They were very friendly and responsive towards each of my answers which I appreciated. This interview actually ruined other interviews for me because of the length of time (45 minutes, which still goes by quick). I feel rushed in my other interviews now!

Awesome! Thank you again! I hope to be joining you next year!

For those of you who are accepted: when you accepted the offer, did you receive an email or anything confirming your acceptance? I confirmed it (I hope), but didn't get any follow-up email and worrying haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are accepted: when you accepted the offer, did you receive an email or anything confirming your acceptance? I confirmed it (I hope), but didn't get any follow-up email and worrying haha.

I confirmed the acceptance as well and have not received a follow-up email or background check request.

No email either, and was also somewhat worried that I clicked the wrong thing by accident haha :oops:

For those accepted, how long did it take to hear back?

I confirmed the acceptance as well and have not received a follow-up email or background check request.

They said during my interview that you would NOT receive a follow up email after the phone call, but you would see in your portal (where the interview questions were, where you filled out your secondary) that your status would change on there, and that's where you'd find your "letter of acceptance."

When you receive the phone call, you are able to download a copy of your letter of acceptance. Additionally, a hard copy of the admissions letter is placed in US mail and is sent to the address you provided in College Net. You will be contacted later with information on immunizations, where to send final transcripts and other information required for entering students into the registration system. The background checks are performed through AMCAS so there will be no need for an additional background check. Accepted students with further questions should contact Ms. Diggins or Dr. Parrish.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard anything?! Not that I'm sitting by the phone with bated breath or anything. Just that I happen to be carrying my phone with me everywhere I go for ... reasons. Hopefully next week!!!!

Just logged onto the portal and noticed that all the interview questions are gone and my status says that the admissions committee is considering my submission. Fingers crossed :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Phone call from a Las Vegas number a few minutes ago. Ran out of work with shaking hands, barely able to use my legs from excitement. Turned out to be a spam call from the Marriott Hotel. Figured I'd share the love by making all you wonderful people get an alert for this thread, muahaha. :X3::X3::X3:

Reactions: 2 users
Phone call from a Las Vegas number a few minutes ago. Ran out of work with shaking hands, barely able to use my legs from excitement. Turned out to be a spam call from the Marriott Hotel. Figured I'd share the love by making all you wonderful people get an alert for this thread, muahaha. :X3::X3::X3:

That's evil! Life never ceases to let us down.

The committee meets this Tuesday! Wouldn’t expect to hear anything until after that

Just gotta say that I'd been getting spam calls from a Vegas number for the month before I got my acceptance call, so when I actually DID get the call I got trigger happy and declined it the first time around... that was quite something to explain :unsure:

Just gotta say that I'd been getting spam calls from a Vegas number for the month before I got my acceptance call, so when I actually DID get the call I got trigger happy and declined it the first time around... that was quite something to explain :unsure:

Picturing this event unfold in my head.

"Ring Ring Ring"
Downtown Funk: Ughh! (another 702 area code number, picks up phone)
Downtown Funk: No thank you, I'm not interested.
:laugh:

Picturing this event unfold in my head.

"Ring Ring Ring"
Downtown Funk: Ughh! (another 702 area code number, picks up phone)
Downtown Funk: No thank you, I'm not interested.
:laugh:

Omg if that was actually what happened I’d be mortified :laugh: I mostly just realized that the call was from UNLV as soon as I jabbed the end call button and spent the next 20 minutes glued to my phone hoping I’d get a call back... thankfully I did

Hopefully some acceptances go out this week! Good luck everyone!

Hoping to hear some news this week! I've been accepted to Reno and Thomas Jefferson but REALLY want to attend UNLV!

Has anyone heard anything?!

I got three missed calls in an hour from an random Dayton, NV number, does that count? I'm starting to think I'm on some sort of sophisticated spam list where they call me from my own area code. My nerves are shot, but I'm hoping it's a sign! I really enjoyed the school on my interview day and they're my number one choice. Nothing to do now but wait. :corny:

Oh, and stalk StudentDoctor.

Really nervous about when the next round of acceptances are going to be sent out! Anyone have any idea when they should be calling?

Really nervous about when the next round of acceptances are going to be sent out! Anyone have any idea when they should be calling?

I have no idea! Every time my phone vibrates my stomach does flips!

Either they aren't sending out acceptances this week, or those who happened to be accepted aren't on SDN.

I don't know what to think anymore. I thought on my interview day, it was announced that something was gonna happen on the 19th. Then nothing happened for me and there was a later announcement that the admissions committee didn't meet till this Tuesday. Then nothing again today(for me at least).
If you look at last year they didn't call people till the end of January(January 30th) so if there is still a January group interviewing tomorrow that might be a possibility. Its not out of question that they are not calling till end of January-early February.
Sadly, though I thought interview day went well, there may be a possibility that the people who got in are not posting. It is a little odd if this were the case, because every other month this was not the case. Most school's forums blow up on any sort of acceptance day.

Either you are the guy they called or you are taking the possibility of rejection very well.
They haven’t called me, I am just choosing not to worry about it. If I get rejected, I get rejected. Not much I can do about it.

They haven’t called me, I am just choosing not to worry about it. If I get rejected, I get rejected. Not much I can do about it.

I hear ya. You have good resilience. UNLV was my dream school and I really felt the interviews were so much more chill than any other place I interviewed at. If I remember correctly Dr. Parrish told interviewees at my interview day that the admission decision was mostly dependent on how the interview went. I liked my chances based on that, but with the mention of this admissions committee and the competitiveness of the applicants, I wonder if the selection went deeper than an interview of prepared questions that had nothing to do with the actual amcas application.

I hear ya. You have good resilience. UNLV was my dream school and I really felt the interviews were so much more chill than any other place I interviewed at. If I remember correctly Dr. Parrish told interviewees at my interview day that the admission decision was mostly dependent on how the interview went. I liked my chances based on that, but with the mention of this admissions committee and the competitiveness of the applicants, I wonder if the selection went deeper than an interview of prepared questions that had nothing to do with the actual amcas application.
I’m a nontraditional student and have experienced a lot of rejection in my life. What I’ve come to realize is that life isn’t about the successes, it’s about learning to manage your failures. While I’m hoping you get in (it sounds like you nailed the interview and fit in well with the school), if you don’t get in you’ll just try again! When you finally get it you’ll be even more appreciative. But for now, don’t beat yourself up or consume yourself with worry. It will all work out because you’re qualified and have worked really hard.

I’m a nontraditional student and have experienced a lot of rejection in my life. What I’ve come to realize is that life isn’t about the successes, it’s about learning to manage your failures. While I’m hoping you get in (it sounds like you nailed the interview and fit in well with the school), if you don’t get in you’ll just try again! When you finally get it you’ll be even more appreciative. But for now, don’t beat yourself up or consume yourself with worry. It will all work out because you’re qualified and have worked really hard.
If it makes you guys feel any better this is my number 1 and I interviewed back in Nov. still haven’t heard anything (accept, WL, decline). This process is very arduous. Stay the course, it will work out.

If it makes you guys feel any better this is my number 1 and I interviewed back in Nov. still haven’t heard anything (accept, WL, decline). This process is very arduous. Stay the course, it will work out.

Same here. I interviewed in November and thought I did pretty well at the interview (there are, of course, some moments that still haunt me). This is my second cycle applying, and I have come to really like everything about UNLV. They have such a unique feel to their program, and I love all the little details, like the community service and the EMT certification. When I interviewed at other schools, I was like a girl on a first date still remembering her ex.

Every month that goes by, I'm more certain that they looked at my application but it didn't have enough of a narrative punch to really send it over the edge. And it's sad! But I look at all of the qualified people here on StudentDoctor and in my real life, and I know that this is just a really tough and competitive process. You can't take the rejection personally. All you can do is keep rocking on with your bad self--doing more community service, improving your application, and going after this if it is your dream. It will feel so sweet when it finally happens for us! And who knows, you might hear next month. At my interview, they said that they wouldn't reject anyone until the end of the cycle.

Truly, we should all be proud of the effort we've put in to make it here. Just to apply and get an interview--that is the culmination of years of effort and service. So congratulations for making it this far, and I hope that we all get calls before the cycle is over.

Last edited:
Same here. I interviewed in November and thought I did pretty well at the interview (there are, of course, some moments that still haunt me). This is my second cycle applying, and I have come to really like everything about UNLV. They have such a unique feel to their program, and I love all the little details, like the community service and the EMT certification. As someone who truly wants to spend the rest of her life helping people--I want that. So bad. When I interviewed at other schools, I was like a girl on a first date still remembering her ex.

Every month that goes by, I'm more certain that they looked at my application but it didn't have enough of a narrative punch to really send it over the edge. And it's sad! But I look at all of the qualified people here on StudentDoctor and in my real life, and I know that this is just a really tough and competitive process. You can't take the rejection personally. All you can do is keep rocking on with your bad self--doing more community service, improving your application, and going after this if it is your dream. It will feel so sweet when it finally happens for us! And who knows, you might hear next month.

Truly, we should all be proud of the effort we've put in to make it here. Just to apply and get an interview--that is the culmination of years of effort and service. So congratulations for making it this far, and I hope that we all get calls before the cycle is over.

I interviewed at a different school where the interviewers were cold and uptight. When I first met my first UNLV interviewer I thought that that person would be the same way so on the first question(even though I practiced it enough times), I froze. I gathered my wits over time, but what made it easier was the first UNLV interviewer made it extremely conversational, I finally got the confidence and carried that into the UNLV second interview.

From what was said at the interview, they focus mostly on the interview and the written AMCAS was deemed "good enough". However, I am beginning to doubt this. If they are really trying to get down to selecting their class, it is hard for me to believe that an interview with questions unrelated to the AMCAS are the major determiner. I just wish that if there were issues that they had in the AMCAS, they would bring these up in my interview so I have an idea about what weaknesses they may have saw. Hearing my interviewers say, "That was a good answer" to multiple questions, really shot up my confidence but also lulled me into a false sense of security.
Through this all, though originally I liked the UNLV format of asking these unrelated AMCAS questions, at this point, I prefer the cold, uptight interviews who bring the application concerns to the forefront. That way I know what to expect instead of thinking that the call is only a matter of time based on what I think is a good interview.

Here's to hoping that this week brings good news!

The crickets have been awfully loud. I am with dapperdoc, it would really be a bummer if all January phone calls were already made. It would be unreal if this particular month there was not a single post about receiving a phone call.

The crickets have been awfully loud. I am with dapperdoc, it would really be a bummer if all January phone calls were already made. It would be unreal if this particular month there was not a single post about receiving a phone call.
heard through a couple of people they did make acceptance calls the 26th

Thanks Elusiv for letting the thread know. Even if we didn’t get that call we are all grateful that someone went out of their way to post what they knew. I no longer have the anticipation that my phone will blow up with 702-895-xxxx number.

Same. My hopes for this month are over. Feeling sad :( I guess they really have sent out acceptances for the month. Time to cry.

Same. My hopes for this month are over. Feeling sad :( I guess they really have sent out acceptances for the month. Time to cry.

It’s something that we all had hopes for. I am glad that I did not fill out their interview feedback questionnaire right away. I would have given them stellar reviews. To those people who are interviewing at Unlv in the future, your interview is going to be deceptive. They will make you feel like a million bucks with a question set that has nothing to do with your application and positive comments to your responses . However, it has no bearing on how they decide your candidacy.

I feel like UNLV made you feel good, because you are good. Interviewers can be friendly and kind, and not be misleading. You never know, there is still time.

I feel like UNLV made you feel good, because you are good. Interviewers can be friendly and kind, and not be misleading. You never know, there is still time.

You are a kind person. Technically, you are correct. It’s just that I have never seen so much disappointment on a Unlv thread in any of the previous months, but I can say for sure that January decisions have brought an unprecedented amount of sorrow for a lot of posters.

I feel like this entire application process is just stress and sorrow and rejection. That’s why we have to be each other’s support system and community. We will all be doctors some day, I know it.

It just hurts more this time around because acceptances were already out for 3 days now. And here I was thinking I had a slight chance for January. It hurts to not be accepted, but also to hope for 3 days for no reason, without knowing or being told acceptances have gone out. That’s the part that makes it hurt a lot, not even knowing or being told acceptances had gone out. It’s like a physical pain you feel in your heart

It just hurts more this time around because acceptances were already out for 3 days now. And here I was thinking I had a slight chance for January. It hurts to not be accepted, but also to hope for 3 days for no reason, without knowing or being told acceptances have gone out. That’s the part that makes it hurt a lot, not even knowing or being told acceptances had gone out. It’s like a physical pain you feel in your heart

I could not have said it any better. Wish the school would just send a chain email saying they finished their calls. That would be the polite thing to do.

Do you know how many acceptances were sent out or about how many of your friends were accepted? I'm just wondering if there are even any more seats to give out at this point...

I think acceptance calls went out already for this month... I saw a few more people get added to the Facebook group.

You're right. It says that 3 were added in the last ten hours.

Do you know how many acceptances were sent out or about how many of your friends were accepted? I'm just wondering if there are even any more seats to give out at this point...
I think acceptance calls went out already for this month... I saw a few more people get added to the Facebook group.

Yup, thanks to elusiv, we are no longer in the dark. You are the second source now.