2017-2018 University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Exciting stuff! I'll be an M1 here in about three weeks and I'm happy to answer questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they are pre-screening AMCAS before they send secondaries this year. Just received an email saying they received my AMCAS and the review can take several months. BUT hopefully this round works better for me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Exciting stuff! I'll be an M1 here in about three weeks and I'm happy to answer questions!

Second that! Both @redsox93 will be the going through the first classes ever, so ask us anything at all!

Second that! Both @redsox93 will be the going through the first classes ever, so ask us anything at all!
Quick question. I received the email stating that UNLV pre-screens. I also read on their website that they give preference to in-state, if you have previously lived there, or live in neighboring states. I lived in Las Vegas for a few years growing up and that has not been stated anywhere on my primary. How do I let UNLV know that I lived there?

Quick question. I received the email stating that UNLV pre-screens. I also read on their website that they give preference to in-state, if you have previously lived there, or live in neighboring states. I lived in Las Vegas for a few years growing up and that has not been stated anywhere on my primary. How do I let UNLV know that I lived there?

Hey dapperdoc, I just want to preface that I am 100% not in any position to answer this question since I am not part of admissions, so you should definitely call or email them if you have any doubts to how your primary will be screened.

That said, I did look at the previous year's thread and on the official website, if you were a resident for >1 year at some point, you do indeed qualify under their guidelines for in-state residency. I found another response where somebody actually noted that you answer questions about your residency on the secondary anyway.

Hey dapperdoc, I just want to preface that I am 100% not in any position to answer this question since I am not part of admissions, so you should definitely call or email them if you have any doubts to how your primary will be screened.

That said, I did look at the previous year's thread and on the official website, if you were a resident for >1 year at some point, you do indeed qualify under their guidelines for in-state residency. I found another response where somebody actually noted that you answer questions about your residency on the secondary anyway.
Thank you! I will email them and ask. Thanks for the help!

I have just been notified by the admissions office that they are in fact screening and secondaries will begin to go out August 1st.

I have just been notified by the admissions office that they are in fact screening and secondaries will begin to go out August 1st.
Came here just for this. Thank you!

I wonder if UNLV will show me some love for being an adjacent-state resident?

Came here just for this. Thank you!

I wonder if UNLV will show me some love for being an adjacent-state resident?
Unfortunately, it may be pretty tough still since it is only the second year... best of luck though!!!

Received a secondary this morning. Anyone else? I seem to be having issues inputting my AMCAS ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary this morning. Anyone else? I seem to be having issues inputting my AMCAS ID.

I received too! But haven't opened yet. I'll let you know tomorrow if someone else hasn't replied before then.

I received too! But haven't opened yet. I'll let you know tomorrow if someone else hasn't replied before then.

I just went ahead and submitted it and sent them an email about it. The essay was the same as last year and I prewrote. I will update you on what they say as well.

I just went ahead and submitted it and sent them an email about it. The essay was the same as last year and I prewrote. I will update you on what they say as well.

My ID was already inputted for me. Not sure if it pulled from AMCAS or if its because I'm a re-applicant.

My ID was already inputted for me. Not sure if it pulled from AMCAS or if its because I'm a re-applicant.
I spoke to them this morning, even though my ID didn't populate they said it was fine and that it is automatically inputted anyhow.

All submitted and excited to say this was my last secondary! Although, I was quite shocked when I tried to submit and the additional essay was 250 characters not words. You would think I would be annoyed but I just laughed lol :rofl:

For the "BRIEF chronological summary" section, should we list AMCAS/other activities, or just keep it to college attended and major work experiences?

For the "BRIEF chronological summary" section, should we list AMCAS/other activities, or just keep it to college attended and major work experiences?

I personally listed everything I have done.

Just got a secondary. Adjacent state resident. Do they screen heavily?

Just got a secondary. Adjacent state resident. Do they screen heavily?

Same. From CA.
I'm hesitating whether or not I should continue with this school because I'm worried about their new status wouldn't be favorable when it come to residency.
Anyone have some insights about this concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. From CA.
I'm hesitating whether or not I should continue with this school because I'm worried about their new status wouldn't be favorable when it come to residency.
Anyone have some insights about this concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I hear it shouldn't be an issue... This isn't just some random start up medical school, it's at an established university and from what I can gather there should be no reason to be wary of the accreditation of the med school. As for residency placement I also have heard that it all rest on your shoulders. Sure a Harvard grad might get a bit of a bump because of the prestige of the school but ultimately if you perform well your school doesn't matter, to a certain extent.

Now, being a CA resident.. that might be tough. Only the 2nd year so there will still be heavy IS bias. It is a rather cheap secondary fee so if you can swing it, doesn't hurt to try. Also the question is only 250 words.

"Out-of-state applicants with no connections to Nevada are not encouraged to apply. "

Damn, I can't believe I missed this when drafting my list of schools!

Anyone know if they are waiting to interview regular applicants until after they interview the ED people?

For my "head shot" I just had a friend take a picture of me in a shirt and tie against a white wall. Anyone know if it has to be a legit "professional head-shot" or will a basic photo suffice?

Aww yay! Exciting that interviews have started, congrats you two. When were you guys complete?
I think I was complete the day after I submitted the secondary which was July 31st. And thanks!

II on Monday. Out-of-state, but with strong in-state ties in Las Vegas.

UNLV is one of my top choice schools, and my fingers are crossed so hard they're like recombinant chromosomes hoping for an interview invitation! Good luck to everyone in this thread!

Just received an interview invite this morning!!! So exciteeedd!

Reactions: 2 users
Less than an hour after my last post--interview invitation! So jazzed!

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping to apply here next year... OOS with strong NV ties. Hoping to see some OOSers get some love this year!!