2017-2018 University of Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
46 members in the group. So only 14 seats left to be given out in February. 250 other interviewers and only 14 seats left... I guess I should just assume rejection at this point

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
46 members in the group. So only 14 seats left to be given out in February. 250 other interviewers and only 14 seats left... I guess I should just assume rejection at this point
How do you they are interviewing 250??

Interviewing 300. But of those 45-46 accepted. Leaving around 250 to compete for remaining 14 seats. The 300 number has been posted on this thread before and I heard it at the interview too

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing 300. But of those 45-46 accepted. Leaving around 250 to compete for remaining 14 seats. The 300 number has been posted on this thread before and I heard it at the interview too

Oh I get it. I thought you meant interviewing 250 in February, I was like uh......... what??

I wouldn't count the number in the FB group completely reliable because some of the members in the group are students of Class of 2021, and I know some people that were accepted that are not in that FB group so it's a bit deceiving. But honestly what does it matter at this point lol I've lost all hope.

I wouldn't count the number in the FB group completely reliable because some of the members in the group are students of Class of 2021, and I know some people that were accepted that are not in that FB group so it's a bit deceiving. But honestly what does it matter at this point lol I've lost all hope.
Yeah. I went through and noticed that at least 10 students are part of the class of 2021, so who knows how many spots are still left. They also will probably accept slightly higher than 60 to make up for students who withdraw and go to other schools. All we can do is keep our chin up and hope for the best.

Anyone have any idea on how they go about looking at candidates a second time if they couldn't decide at first? Do they wait until after interviews to look at people again or if our interview has long passed are we destined for the waitlist/rejection pile? I feel selfish that I have 2 acceptances and am wanting this one so badly... But UNLV is my home and I highly regret not applying early decision here...

Yeah. I went through and noticed that at least 10 students are part of the class of 2021, so who knows how many spots are still left. They also will probably accept slightly higher than 60 to make up for students who withdraw and go to other schools. All we can do is keep our chin up and hope for the best.

I think they accepted 83 last year(that includes the waitlist). Dr. Parrish said that they went 20 spots into their waitlist last year. I wouldn’t bank on the same waitlist possibility this year but that is a rough picture.

Anyone have any idea on how they go about looking at candidates a second time if they couldn't decide at first? Do they wait until after interviews to look at people again or if our interview has long passed are we destined for the waitlist/rejection pile? I feel selfish that I have 2 acceptances and am wanting this one so badly... But UNLV is my home and I highly regret not applying early decision here...

I was shocked that you were passed over after you got into Reno. It really woke me up to to how hard the competition is.

I think they accepted 83 last year(that includes the waitlist). Dr. Parrish said that they went 20 spots into their waitlist last year. I wouldn’t bank on the same waitlist possibility this year but that is a rough picture.
Well optimistically I would argue there would be more people taken from the waitlist considering the free tuition isn't for everyone this year.

I was shocked that you were passed over after you got into Reno. It really woke me up to to how hard the competition is.
I felt sort of the same... And I got in on the first round of acceptances to Reno.... Guess time will tell...

what is the post-interview acceptance rate? I interviewed at RVU-Utah and at the interview they basically said that 90% of those interviewing will be accepted and that we were there to find out about them.. is that the same for unlv?
also how intense are they on sticking to the questions they posted? I am interviewing in feb and this is my number one choice and i REALLY want to practice in southern las vegas for the long term as well

what is the post-interview acceptance rate? I interviewed at RVU-Utah and at the interview they basically said that 90% of those interviewing will be accepted and that we were there to find out about them.. is that the same for unlv?
also how intense are they on sticking to the questions they posted? I am interviewing in feb and this is my number one choice and i REALLY want to practice in southern las vegas for the long term as well

Definitely not. They are not taking 90 percent of interviewees. They mostly stick to script, make it really conversational. You’ll probably feel really good coming out of your interview of prepared questions. However, you don’t get a great idea of your overall candidacy bc they don’t talk about your amcas and the weaknesses in that. However, you may be a great candidate and you may have a great interview and an acceptance that follows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not. They are not taking 90 percent of interviewees. They mostly stick to script, make it really conversational. You’ll probably feel really good coming out of your interview of prepared questions. However, you don’t get a great idea of your overall candidacy bc they don’t talk about your amcas and the weaknesses in that. However, you may be a great candidate and you may have a great interview and an acceptance that follows.
83/300(including waitlist). Under 30 percent

actually the thought of the questions already being given out scares me more than if I was asked on the spot, I feel others have memorized answers and have a good idea of what they ay and the way I generally approach interviews is too be honest so it makes me more nervous lol

Do they ask about any academic or stuff from AMCAS or is it just the questions
looking at the questions it seems as though they are trying to gather info about our personalities

83/300(including waitlist). Under 30 percent

I felt sort of the same... And I got in on the first round of acceptances to Reno.... Guess time will tell...
Well optimistically I would argue there would be more people taken from the waitlist considering the free tuition isn't for everyone this year.

The thing is, will the student know if he is getting free or not when he accepts? If they just wait to announce the scholarship till well after a student committed to Unlv, then student would not have known about the scholarship when they were deciding between schools.

actually the thought of the questions already being given out scares me more than if I was asked on the spot, I feel others have memorized answers and have a good idea of what they ay and the way I generally approach interviews is too be honest so it makes me more nervous lol

looking at the questions it seems as though they are trying to gather info about our personalities

Yea they don’t talk about your amcas or academic info at all. They really are assessing your personality. However, you don’t get a proper feel for what they don’t like about your amcas which is pretty big in determining if you are a good candidate.

The thing is, will the student know if he is getting free or not when he accepts? If they just wait to announce the scholarship till well after a student committed to Unlv, then student would not have known about the scholarship when they were deciding between schools.

I wasn’t told anything about financial aid/scholarship when I accepted. I assume it doesn’t come out until March or April when most other places release financial information as well. Hopefully not later...

Based on my experience, something is holding me back from being accepted. The interview shed no light on what that was bc of there style of asking prepared questions.

I wasn’t told anything about financial aid/scholarship when I accepted. I assume it doesn’t come out until March or April when most other places release financial information as well. Hopefully not later...
Which could negate the idea that more people would turn down their offer bc they knew they were not getting their scholarship. They wouldn’t know by the time they decided.

If you see whose been accepted on sdn so far, everyone is very high stats. They made it seem like it would be focused on amcas being adequate if you’re invited for interview, and after that it’s about personality and your drive to serve Nevada. I want to continue living in Nevada and I thought I nailed the interview. So my guess is it’s academics holding me back

If you see whose been accepted on sdn so far, everyone is very high stats. They made it seem like it would be focused on amcas being adequate if you’re invited for interview, and after that it’s about personality and your drive to serve Nevada. I want to continue living in Nevada and I thought I nailed the interview. So my guess is it’s academics holding me back

What you express in your posts has generally been a duplicate of how I feel.

I read from earlier posts that you were bypassed in one pool and accepted in the next one. Hence, the reason that there are posters from November who still they think they have a shot at admission. Is this true?

I read from earlier posts that you were bypassed in one pool and accepted in the next one. Hence, the reason that there are posters from November who still they think they have a shot at admission. Is this true?
I really only know what was said at my interview, which is that the committee meets once a month and all interviewed candidates are held in active (re)consideration until the very end. So, it’s very possible that you could’ve interviewed on the first possible date and be accepted on the last possible. No one’s chances are over yet!

Does anybody on this thread know how many groups they interviewed in January? January 6th was the equivalent of two groups size wise. If November and december people combined with bigger January groups were accepted/given real consideration after the most recent meeting, then there might be a ginormous pile of applications on the committees desk.

I think they would announce it before April 30th. I already have scholarship offers to SKMC. So I would assume they would follow similar timelines.

I think they would announce it before April 30th. I already have scholarship offers to SKMC. So I would assume they would follow similar timelines.
Well then your assumption about there being more waitlist positions this year would not be out of question.

Just got new information from the admissions office. Last round of acceptances will go out Feb 14th or later. Waitlist spots will be announced in March. And rejections will be announced in February and March.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got new information from the admissions office. Last round of acceptances will go out Feb 14th or later. Waitlist spots will be announced in March. And rejections will be announced in February and March.

Well....there it is. May the odds be ever in our favor.

Thanks for getting that information!

Reactions: 1 users

You know what’s weird? The interviews go till Feb 30th on schedule. They could announce last acceptances before all February interviews. Maybe they have modified schedule but found that interesting.

You know what’s weird? The interviews go till Feb 30th on schedule. They could announce last acceptances before all February interviews. Maybe they have modified schedule but found that interesting.
I thought so too. But that was straight from the director of admissions.

More info, no final decisions have been made on any of our applications. At least that's what they said. I guess this could mean they haven't decided rejected vs waitlist or waitlist vs accepted, accepted vs rejected, past interviewee vs new interviewee. Who knows. Good luck everyone!

More info, no final decisions have been made on any of our applications. At least that's what they said. I guess this could mean they haven't decided rejected vs waitlist or waitlist vs accepted, accepted vs rejected, past interviewee vs new interviewee. Who knows. Good luck everyone!

Gonzo1996, when an applicant gets bypassed, what does that mean? I assume the worst case scenario is that they didn’t like your application and that you are going to get a rejection letter. What is the best case scenario? I am starting to feel very unwanted by Unlv and I wonder if I have considered all possibilities since I did not receive a call in January.

Gonzo1996, when an applicant gets bypassed, what does that mean? I assume the worst case scenario is that they didn’t like your application and that you are going to get a rejection letter. What is the best case scenario? I am starting to feel very unwanted by Unlv and I wonder if I have considered all possibilities since I did not receive a call in January.
I'm assuming you get placed in a maybe accept but probably waitlist, waitlist for sure, waitlist but probably reject, or for sure reject.

I mean it could be they just weren't sure at first. But as time goes on they see you actually will fit in their class.could be a number of things unfortunately :(

I sort of got new info today. March 2nd, rejections are going out to those who didn't interview. March 9th is the last committee day to decide on all the applicants who were interviewed. And those decisions will go out the following week. So it seems like we will all know our fate by mid-March.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how many people they put on their waitlist last year?

20 of the waitlist positions got accepted. That’s all I know.

Will there be acceptances on March 9 or is it just for waitlist/denial?

Will there be acceptances on March 9 or is it just for waitlist/denial?
The March 9th date is also to decide waitlist/denial for those in past interviews. I'm assuming many people they already have slotted. And most of the people discussed will be those who they had on the fence. This is all assumptions of course..

So in case people wanted to know how Unlv does their admission deciding, it goes something like this:

There are 11 people to an admissions committee, 7 faculty, 2 community, 2 students. They are the “voters”. Dr. Parrish and Ms. Diggins are “ex oficio nonvoting members”. The interview gets added to your file and then they do a complete review. Basically, whatever weaknesses you might have, only the voters know. They vote on the candidates. Surprisingly Dr. Parrish does not play a role in the decision-making on applicants admission.

There's no need to be panicking! I looked over the Facebook and there are 15 of us from the first class, and at least one more person who is not an applicant. Last year 82 were accepted, and that was with the entire class getting a full tuition scholarship. By my measurement, less than half of the total acceptances have gone out at this point.

As for the interviews, I haven't talked to a single person from the first class that didn't think their interview went great. If you've had an interview, and it went really well, I would say your odds of getting in at this point are still great.

Reactions: 4 users
There's no need to be panicking! I looked over the Facebook and there are 15 of us from the first class, and at least one more person who is not an applicant. Last year 82 were accepted, and that was with the entire class getting a full tuition scholarship. By my measurement, less than half of the total acceptances have gone out at this point.

As for the interviews, I haven't talked to a single person from the first class that didn't think their interview went great. If you've had an interview, and it went really well, I would say your odds of getting in at this point are still great.
Thank you for the encouragement! It was desperately needed!

Your post definitely gives hope. The only question marks for me are 1.how many ppl realistically get an acceptance after being bypassed in their batch 2.less than half of seats have been filled “if you include the waitlists”, which is still relatively unknown. 3. I am sure the people who got in interviewed well, but there are many who did NOT get in and thought they interviewed well.

But I appreciate the post and encouraging comments. Let’s hope it works out for us In the end.

how do you suggest we should approach answering the interview questions? they don't seem to have any indication to the ymcas app but more of an assessment of your personality and thought process- are they basing the interview off of body language and persona rather than the traditional interview of why us? and why do you want to be a physician? just curious how those who got accepted approached the interview questions
thanks

how do you suggest we should approach answering the interview questions? they don't seem to have any indication to the ymcas app but more of an assessment of your personality and thought process- are they basing the interview off of body language and persona rather than the traditional interview of why us? and why do you want to be a physician? just curious how those who got accepted approached the interview questions
thanks

I was going to reply to your post but you said you wanted to hear from those who got accepted. Haha, so that doesn’t include me.

I was going to reply to your post but you said you wanted to hear from those who got accepted. Haha, so that doesn’t include me.
a reply from someone who interviewed and didn't hear back yet/rejected would still provide some valuable insight. please share your experience :)

a reply from someone who interviewed and didn't hear back yet/rejected would still provide some valuable insight. please share your experience :)

I think the way to do this is to have an idea what you are going to say. Don’t memorize your answer. However, have a particular topic that would answer the question. Because you get the question in advance it would be a shame if you were scrambling for the answer at the interview. If I were you I would pen down an outline for every answer.
For example, there is a question about explaining complex information. I used the kreb cycle as an my example.
1.break the cycle into parts. 2.use analogies so someone else can conceptualize. 3.use visual aids. 4. Ask them to recall in Small steps.
The key to answering these questions is to organize and outline your answers so you don’t ramble. Don’t memorize word for word, just articulate key points.
I was really nervous with my first interviewer and struggled with the first question that I practiced many times, but they make it so easy to converse the nervousness goes away and the answers come out smooth. You may find one of your interviewers drifting from script and more so creating a conversation about you personally. My second interviewer was more on script and since I finished strong on the first interview I used that momentum. If you plan and outline, you won’t have a problem with the interview. I don’t think it’s meant to be intimidating.

I think that if you were a strong candidate otherwise I don’t think an interview that didn’t click should hurt you. I think we were told it was mostly about how our interview went, but I doubt this was the case. I just wish that whatever concerns they had could be addressed instead of just answering some prepared questions.

Can you post the prompts? Whenever you can! Thanks!
1. Describe how your background and future goals will contribute to the mission of the UNLV School of Medicine. (Answer limit: 250 words)
2. Describe the impact attending medical school tuition-free will have on your medical career. (Answer limit: 250 words)