2017-2018 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're informal; one is with a current medical student and the other is with 2 people (a faculty member and a physician). I was asked pretty standard questions in both. They made a point of saying at the beginning that the interviewers only have your essays bc the admissions committee has already deemed you academically appropriate for the school or else they wouldn't have extended an interview. Also, as a side note, the interview day is short (11:45am to 4pm at the latest). Hope that helps!

When did you interview? Our experiences actually seem a bit different, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that. One more question...I've heard they ask a lot of ethics questions. Did you find that to be true?
I got asked a few ethical questions as well as ones about health care reform. I wish I had done more reading on policy before my interview, but I think as long as you are humble and respectful that any answer is okay.

Sorry about that. One more question...I've heard they ask a lot of ethics questions. Did you find that to be true?

Hmmm, I don't remember too many questions about ethics. I honestly can't recall, so they were probably not difficult. What does stand out is getting asked about healthcare policy though.

II for MSTP on 10.07! LizzyM: 66.40. OOS with ties to IL through undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
Really enjoyed my interview here! Super casual (most casual ones thus far) and I was not asked any ethical questions. Crossing my fingers for good news a week from now!

Anyone have any experience traveling from Chicago to Rockford? The only place available when I got my II was Rockford. I dont want to rent a car but Im unsure of how safe the bus will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone interviewing soon please ask how they factor Casper into their evaluation and report back to us? I already interviewed and missed my chance. Would be very interested to hear their answer though.

Can someone interviewing soon please ask how they factor Casper into their evaluation and report back to us? I already interviewed and missed my chance. Would be very interested to hear their answer though.

I think it is more important in the pre-II phase than after. They said the interview and letters are the biggest factors at this point.

I think it is more important in the pre-II phase than after. They said the interview and letters are the biggest factors at this point.

I agree, I am just curious how they or anyone use the results in general lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Does university of Illinois Screen prior to secondary?

Yes they go from just under 8,000 primaries to 5,700 ish verified secondaries and the Director said that this is a combination of people not filling out the secondary + pre-screened out

Did you complete the Casper before getting the II?
Yes. However, they told me they did not need my CASPer scores before II because there's a delay in getting the CASPer scores to the schools.

Is this a dumb question but how do they determine which of the four different campus locations do students attend??

Is this a dumb question but how do they determine which of the four different campus locations do students attend??
Not dumb at all! If you're accepted, they have you rank the options and they place you in one. You're not guaranteed to get your top choice. Also there are only 3 campuses for M1s now-- the Champaign campus is being phased out so they are no longer accepting new students.

Not dumb at all! If you're accepted, they have you rank the options and they place you in one. You're not guaranteed to get your top choice. Also there are only 3 campuses for M1s now-- the Champaign campus is being phased out so they are no longer accepting new students.

Another possibly dumb question: do you know which campus you're assigned to before the April 30th decision deadline?

Another possibly dumb question: do you know which campus you're assigned to before the April 30th decision deadline?
No lol I had the same question... You find out the assignment before the deadline!

Just got an II. Which campus should I pick? Is interviewing in Peoria easier than in Chicago?

Really enjoyed my interview here! Super casual (most casual ones thus far) and I was not asked any ethical questions. Crossing my fingers for good news a week from now!

Where (which campus) did you interview?

Did anyones status change to anything between "forwarded to screening committtee" and getting an interview? Or is forwarded just a hold till they decide

Did anyones status change to anything between "forwarded to screening committtee" and getting an interview? Or is forwarded just a hold till they decide
I believe that my status went from forwarded to the committee to a II, I don't think it's a hold status

There’s a red ‘next’ button on the bottom of the page. That will take you to application status.

Don't see red bottom I only see application has been successfully submitted ... although you may still view your application no further changes will be allowed

Thanks .... it says my letter are under manual review for fulfillment ..: how long it takes to hear from this point ?

It took about 2 weeks for my letters to pass the review, and my status has been "forwarded to the screening committee" for about 2 months now.

It took about 2 weeks for my letters to pass the review, and my status has been "forwarded to the screening committee" for about 2 months now.
That long woah there seems to be people with a fast turn over

Just got an II, had to look on the portal (no email) but it switched straight from forwarded to screening to interview so definitely check your portal

II yesterday. Complete early July

II today, complete 8/7. Does anyone know if it matters which site you interview at? It doesn't look like there are any spots open in Chicago and the next one available in Rockford is mid November, so looks like Peoria is probably my best bet. It is a bit inconvenient since I am right outside the city but I'm just ecstatic to get an invite. The campus you interview at doesn't have any bearing on the campus you would attend if accepted does it?

II today, complete 8/7. Does anyone know if it matters which site you interview at? It doesn't look like there are any spots open in Chicago and the next one available in Rockford is mid November, so looks like Peoria is probably my best bet. It is a bit inconvenient since I am right outside the city but I'm just ecstatic to get an invite. The campus you interview at doesn't have any bearing on the campus you would attend if accepted does it?
had the exact same problem, I just went for Peoria

MY FIRST II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg im so so so grateful!!!!!!!! :) complete 8/26, LizzyM: 69 in-state

Reactions: 7 users
Does UIC accept updates? I can't find any information either way. Thanks!

The website says no it doesn’t matter, but I find that kind of ridiculous. If you only want to attend the Chicago campus why would you want to interview at another? You would lose a lot of the sense of what the campus you’re interested in is like. Also, for purposes of travel, it seems like majority of in state AND out of state interviewees would best be able to access the Chicago campus, so why not open up more Chicago slots if they’re filling up? It seems like other state university systems (e.g. Minnesota) separate the applications for their different campuses, that seems to make a lot more sense to me as they likely have different focuses...
Current M1 here procrastinating instead of studying biochem-It truly does not matter where you interview for campus placement. It matters when you turn in your campus preference card. Just go to Peoria or Rockford, smile, don't say I only want Chicago to the interviewers, and as soon as you get accepted put your campus preference as Chicago. If you are interviewing later in the cycle, apply immediately to some of the special curricular programs in Chicago in case you don't get placed there and if you can convince the interviewers and yourself you are actually interested in the program. There are some pros and cons to each campus, but wherever you go you will end up with an MD.

Reactions: 2 users