2017-2018 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone who interviewed in Peoria be willing to answer some general questions about the experience/what to expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone remember if they said they would let us know ON Oct 16 or did they just say around that date? Bout time to start getting anxious!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview in Peoria coming up. I understand how the game works, so I have no intention of saying I ONLY want to attend the Chicago campus if accepted. However, I have a strong interest in the MD/MBA program, which is only offered at the Chicago campus. If/when asked the "why U of I" question, I'm not sure if I should mention this or if I should keep that to myself since I'm interviewing in Peoria. This is one of my top schools, and obviously my top priority is just getting in.

agreed, on MSAR it says Oct 20th as well!

Interesting. I interviewed on 9/13, and they told us the first committee meeting for decisions is on 9/21 and that we would find out on 10/16 if we were accepted or waitlisted.

Interesting. I interviewed on 9/13, and they told us the first committee meeting for decisions is on 9/21 and that we would find out on 10/16 if we were accepted or waitlisted.

Found my notes from II day late Sept. It says email the 15th lol. I am assuming they mispoke or actually said the 16th. I'll keep my hopes up for some news Monday!

Found my notes from II day late Sept. It says email the 15th lol. I am assuming they mispoke or actually said the 16th. I'll keep my hopes up for some news Monday!

I could be wrong too! I do feel like I remember them saying that nobody is going to work on a Sunday, so we shouldn't expect anything then lol.

I interviewed late September and Leila explicitly told us the admissions committee is meeting October 19th from 11:30-1:30 and that she would start letting people know immediately after that. Not sure exactly what that means and sorry to fuel your neuroticism!

Reactions: 2 users
As of this morning, my status has been updated to "Your application is under consideration by the screening committee". I know it was this morning because I check like 5 times per day. Complete mid august.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed late September and Leila explicitly told us the admissions committee is meeting October 19th from 11:30-1:30 and that she would start letting people know immediately after that. Not sure exactly what that means and sorry to fuel your neuroticism!

Yup, October 19th can't come soon enough!

Reactions: 1 user
As of this morning, my status has been updated to "Your application is under consideration by the screening committee". I know it was this morning because I check like 5 times per day. Complete mid august.
Mine switched today as well and I submited the first day. I was wonder if they just switched everyone's status to that.

After the interview, when/where do you rank your campus preference? I was under the impression that we rank campus preference prior to an admission decision, or is that incorrect?

After the interview, when/where do you rank your campus preference? I was under the impression that we rank campus preference prior to an admission decision, or is that incorrect?
We rank them after admission

Got an II and called the admissions office to set up my interview. I wrote down the email to send my photo too and a 5 digit number, but for got to make a note of what the number was for. Can anyone help me out that might know why I wrote this down??

Got an II and called the admissions office to set up my interview. I wrote down the email to send my photo too and a 5 digit number, but for got to make a note of what the number was for. Can anyone help me out that might know why I wrote this down??
I sent a photo as well but didn't get a 5 digit number... I just included my AMCAS id? didn't receive any response, either

Have an interview here Novemeber 15th! Super hyped. Does anyone know what the interview to acceptance rate is?

It is unforunate that none of us have the same answer for when we are hearing back...but to all for tomorrow or later on, good luck!

Have an interview here Novemeber 15th! Super hyped. Does anyone know what the interview to acceptance rate is?
I have seen official metrics and the post-interview acceptance rate is ~70%. It fluctuates between 65-72% from year to year. So once you have an interview, especially this early in the season, it is yours to lose. Show up prepared, match what your AMCAS/secondaries say you are, and smile.. you will be good!

Reactions: 4 users
I have seen official metrics and the post-interview acceptance rate is ~70%. It fluctuates between 65-72% from year to year. So once you have an interview, especially this early in the season, it is yours to lose. Show up prepared, match what your AMCAS/secondaries say you are, and smile.. you will be good!

Thanks so much!

I'm interviewing in Peoria on Friday. Other than the standard - be professional, know your file, smile - what advice do you have? What is the emphasis of this campus? Rural medicine? Are they as much into research as the Chicago campus? Any advice would be much appreciated.

The website says no it doesn’t matter, but I find that kind of ridiculous. If you only want to attend the Chicago campus why would you want to interview at another? You would lose a lot of the sense of what the campus you’re interested in is like. Also, for purposes of travel, it seems like majority of in state AND out of state interviewees would best be able to access the Chicago campus, so why not open up more Chicago slots if they’re filling up? It seems like other state university systems (e.g. Minnesota) separate the applications for their different campuses, that seems to make a lot more sense to me as they likely have different focuses...
I see your point, but I also see why they do it this way. Some people might think they are "ONLY" interested in one campus, but when visiting another, they actually like it. TBH, I was only interested in the NOT Chicago campuses, but after visiting there, I really liked it. Still don't think it'll be my #1 choice if accepted, but it still impacted my decision in some way (moved up to #2 perhaps). I imagine like 95% of the applicants (at least according to the faculty that interviewed me) choose Chicago, yet 35% ends up at Rockford or Peoria (100/280), so it would be impossible to give everyone interested in Chicago an interview slot there, and it would only make the other campuses even harder to fill. Just look at the bright side: you got an interview and ~70% of interviewees get accepted (according to admissions committee) so just choose Chicago and if you don't get it, then I guess you got a decision to make.

II today vía portal! In-stater.

Anyone else take a while to get a complete email? I submitted last weekend and have had all of my things in since early july but still haven't got a complete email.

I'm interviewing in Peoria on Friday. Other than the standard - be professional, know your file, smile - what advice do you have? What is the emphasis of this campus? Rural medicine? Are they as much into research as the Chicago campus? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Recently interviewed here and my biggest advice would be to relax and be friendly. The interviews are super laid back, and I did not have any surprises. I have also heard from current students that if interviewing in Peoria, express some interest in the Peoria campus.

Thank you, YeaJeets2. Much appreciated.

Anyone else take a while to get a complete email? I submitted last weekend and have had all of my things in since early july but still haven't got a complete email.

I submitted 9/21 and wasn't marked complete until 10/3 even though I had everything in already so there probably is some delay.

Does anyone know, if you interview in Peoria does this become your campus choice? In other words, if the Peoria people like you will it be likely you'll be assigned to the Peoria campus? It seems to me that the campus selection happens rather informally, based on where you interview. Why would you be shown around the facilities in Peoria and then be assigned to the Chicago campus. Does not make much sense. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know, if you interview in Peoria does this become your campus choice? In other words, if the Peoria people like you will it be likely you'll be assigned to the Peoria campus? It seems to me that the campus selection happens rather informally, based on where you interview. Why would you be shown around the facilities in Peoria and then be assigned to the Chicago campus. Does not make much sense. Any thoughts?
It's just a matter of resources, by having the option to interview at every location, they can accommodate more interviews. They were very clear during my interview that where you interview does not impact where you are assigned. Where you get placed is half random and half to do with what you express interest in (I assume if you don't have specific interest in programs at only one campus, your assignment is random so they can accommodate those with specific interests, but they didn't explicitly say that).

Did everyone get a complete email? I was complete August but I have yet to receive anything. Should I call the admissions office regarding this?

Did anyone get any post-interview updates?

Reactions: 2 users
Not yet, anxiously waiting. I was told we would be updated on the 16th so I've been dying since

Not yet, anxiously waiting. I was told we would be updated on the 16th so I've been dying since
We were told "hopefully as early as the 20th." but then again, that was last week. Other people have said the 20th on here as well, so maybe that's the magic date. Fingers crossed!

We were told "hopefully as early as the 20th." but then again, that was last week. Other people have said the 20th on here as well, so maybe that's the magic date. Fingers crossed!
Yea, I also checked the MSAR and it says October 20th too and people last year on here found out on the 20th. I've just been neurotically clinging to Laila's word lol

People got their offical acceptance letters on the 20th, but they were getting portal updates earlier. Maybe they overhauled the system this year.

People got their offical acceptance letters on the 20th, but they were getting portal updates earlier. Maybe they overhauled the system this year.
Yea I noticed that too. Plus, since they will be notifying via email this year, I figured they may do it earlier but seems like they won't...

Side note since we're passing time anyway... I've noticed that other students I talked to on my interview and even students that went there kinda saw this school as a safety school but I'm actually really interested in it, and it's been high on my list since day 1 (even though I'm OOS). There are very few programs in the country with such great rural health programs and this year, they've even started this Rural & Global health program, which is like both of my interests combined. It does make me nervous, and think like am I crazy for liking this place? to know so many people decline their invitations (i.e. they admit 500+ students for 280 slots) and to hear so many people kinda talk down about it. Anyone else have similar experience? Is it because there's no scholarships? What am I missing?

Side note since we're passing time anyway... I've noticed that other students I talked to on my interview and even students that went there kinda saw this school as a safety school but I'm actually really interested in it, and it's been high on my list since day 1 (even though I'm OOS). There are very few programs in the country with such great rural health programs and this year, they've even started this Rural & Global health program, which is like both of my interests combined. It does make me nervous, and think like am I crazy for liking this place? to know so many people decline their invitations (i.e. they admit 500+ students for 280 slots) and to hear so many people kinda talk down about it. Anyone else have similar experience? Is it because there's no scholarships? What am I missing?

Never heard of this school being talked about negatively.

That interesting to hear. UIC has been a great school to attend from my peers and people I know who go there. Granted, alot of them assume they would go somewhere else but money and education-wise, it felt like the best fit. The people I met on my interview day all sounded like they would love to attend UIC.

I am excited because UIC really focuses on diversity and serving underserved populations, two things I really care about in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users