2017-2018 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have that link for checking the status? I got from someone/somewhere and can't find it. It gave more information than the one through the regular secondary application link.

Members don't see this ad.

It is in the email with subject "Welcome to University of Illinois College of Medicine Admission" which was sent before the supplementary application invitation email was sent.

okay thanks for your reply!! my status now says that my letters are undergoing manual review to make sure they meet the requirements. Do you still think I should call or is that a good sign?

You could still call if you want because they can technically do a quick review on the phone with you, or at least that's what they did for me. Worst case scenario: they say people are working on it, so just be patient and keep an eye on your portal. Either way, you'll know that there's progress being made on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I submitted mine a week ago and it still says the letters arent received and the application is not complete !

FWIW my status just changed today from "letters under review" to "Your application has been forwarded to the screening committee."

You could still call if you want because they can technically do a quick review on the phone with you, or at least that's what they did for me. Worst case scenario: they say people are working on it, so just be patient and keep an eye on your portal. Either way, you'll know that there's progress being made on your application.
thank you ! it finally changed today

FWIW my status just changed today from "letters under review" to "Your application has been forwarded to the screening committee."
mine just changed to this today "We have received your supplemental application. We have received three letters on your behalf, we are in the process of reviewing them."

before it said that my letters were undergoing manual review

mine just changed to this today "We have received your supplemental application. We have received three letters on your behalf, we are in the process of reviewing them."

before it said that my letters were undergoing manual review

Ah yea, that's what I meant. Hopefully you don't have to wait a week and a half or so for them to review them!

I'm stumped with this areas of interest essay. Did you guys just talk about opportunities you'd explore in the areas you selected?

I'm stumped with this areas of interest essay. Did you guys just talk about opportunities you'd explore in the areas you selected?
A lot of jobs I've worked in have given me a lot of clinical study experience so I spoke about that and my interest in academic medicine because of these experiences. I'm sure what you asked would be fine as well.

can someone share the character limit for the second essay? the one about a stressful situation? Pretty please

I know in the past the application statuses have mainly been "applicant in progress/process" but mine has recently been "Your application is under consideration by the screening committee."

I was just wondering if anyone else has this status or knows if U of I might've changed the typical wording of their statuses? I also acknowledge that I am probably reading too much into this but I wouldn't be a pre-med if I wasn't mildly neurotic, right? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know in the past the application statuses have mainly been "applicant in progress/process" but mine has recently been "Your application is under consideration by the screening committee."

I was just wondering if anyone else has this status or knows if U of I might've changed the typical wording of their statuses? I also acknowledge that I am probably reading too much into this but I wouldn't be a pre-med if I wasn't mildly neurotic, right? :)

Your neurotic ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They're waiting for CASPer??? Damn, I don't take it until August 10th.

Took my CASPer yesterday, the test was pretty interesting I must say.
I enjoyed it overall though

Where did you find the 1st question (Describing activities if not currently enrolled) on the secondary? I am not enrolled in school currently, but I only have 3 questions:
1. Stressful situation
2. Selecting 2 additional ares of research
3. Advantage/Disadvantage.

I submitted my application already unfortunately, but can't seem to find that question anywhere!

So one of the 12 activities I am listing is a leadership position that I had during a week long conference. What the heck do I put down for hrs/week? Do I just list the total number of hours I put it during that week?

Submitted yesterday, waiting for secondary

Reactions: 1 users
Did the space in-between paragraphs disappear for people when they looked back on their apps? Does the committee see how we originally submitted it?

Also for some reason two of my apostrophes became upside down question marks....

How and where are you OOS-ers planning on listing personal ties? Letter to admissions or somewhere in the secondary? I lived in IL from ages 0-18 and my parents still reside there. Applying in-state to my current state of residence though.

Did the space in-between paragraphs disappear for people when they looked back on their apps? Does the committee see how we originally submitted it?

Also for some reason two of my apostrophes became upside down question marks....
The same things happened to me. I think someone posted earlier on this thread saying they confirmed they will see the spacing how we originally submitted. Hoping that applies to the apostrophes as well!

That essay is a mess and has been sitting open in my browser unanswered for 3 hours. I just don't know what they're asking exactly. Are they looking more for what I would do with those interests or how I will take in new information in medical school
They're waiting for CASPer??? Damn, I don't take it until August 10th.
I'm in the same boat. I'm irritated.

Does anyone know when they usually start sending IIs out?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm confused about the activities and employment tabs. In activities they only have 12 slots, but they ask for employment even though there is also an employment tab. If I put my jobs with my activities I won't have enough room. If you already submitted, did you just keep them separate?

Edit: Also, shadowing? Should I add this under 'Other'? Not sure if this needs to just copy my AMCAS activities or if it's ok that some things aren't listed here. Slightly frustrating since there aren't enough slots for me to fit everything from AMCAS. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I'm confused about the activities and employment tabs. In activities they only have 12 slots, but they ask for employment even though there is also an employment tab. If I put my jobs with my activities I won't have enough room. If you already submitted, did you just keep them separate?

Edit: Also, shadowing? Should I add this under 'Other'? Not sure if this needs to just copy my AMCAS activities or if it's ok that some things aren't listed here. Slightly frustrating since there aren't enough slots for me to fit everything from AMCAS. Thanks guys!

The employment tab only asks hours, it doesn't ask you to list your jobs. I would pick your top 12 activities including employment. And shadowing would be under other.

I just noticed that I did not fill out the Extracurriculars tab before submitting the secondary. I guess I can kiss Illinois goodbye. :cryi:

Found this on the website.
"The Committee on Admissions evaluates completed applications on a rolling basis from early September through March"
Looks like we have just about another month left to hear anything after being complete.:(

Just added this school, I feel like I'm late but I wasn't aware of them being relatively OOS friendly. Hopefully I get a secondary soon

Just added this school, I feel like I'm late but I wasn't aware of them being relatively OOS friendly. Hopefully I get a secondary soon

I don't think they're OOS unfriendly, but their OOS tuition is kind of insane.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if mentoring or teaching assistant positions be classified as volunteering, leadership or other?

anyone know where to find info on interdisciplinary collaboration? I looked all over their website, but nada. I really want to write about that because the other topics don't interest me, but I'm struggling to tailor it to UIC

Has anyone else's status page changed to "We look forward to meeting you soon! Please call our office to schedule your interview with us"? I have not gotten an email or any other communication from them and would not have known this if I did not happen to check the portal just now.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else's status page changed to "We look forward to meeting you soon! Please call our office to schedule your interview with us"? I have not gotten an email or any other communication from them and would not have known this if I did not happen to check the portal just now.
When were you complete?! LizzyM? IS/OOS?

Just got my II this morning! LizzyM 71, completed 7/21, IS. So damn happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users