2017-2018 Charles R Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II earlier today! Only date left was February 3rd. Complete end of September.

Over the f*cking moon right now! Just got II for February 3rd, 2018. They said they make decisions once in January and once another time but I couldn't focus on the call once I heard "schedule an interview" omggggggggg.

I JUST RECEIVED THE II CALL TOO! I was shaking the entire phone call!!! CONGRATS and see you on the 3rd!!

Congratulations guys! :) See you on the 3rd

Members don't see this ad.

Do we know what kind of pre-screening they do? this is one of the only schools I did not have a secondary invite for....(applied to +40 schools)

MS1 here (not at UCLA but at another great school) just to say that I was in this same situation last year (never receiving the secondary). UCLA is very strict with the screen, and even though I reached out to the admissions office several times they did not budge. It honestly made me wonder if they have some kind of unspoken age cut-off for nontrads? I was just over 30 when I applied, as opposed to a friend of mine from grad school was was 28 (and is now happily enrolled). We would have been similar, though obviously not identical, applicants. It would suck if that was the case, but I also understand they have a lot of applications to go through and wouldn't fault them for using some shortcuts.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! Happy holidays!

Current MS3 in the CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program. If you have questions, feel free to PM me and reach out! Looking forward to your questions.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Happy holidays!

Current MS3 in the CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program. If you have questions, feel free to PM me and reach out! Looking forward to your questions.

:)

Thanks for being available! And happy holidays!

I was wondering if you could tell us a little bit about the atmosphere (i.e. is it supportive?) & the collaboration at CDU/UCLA? Also, were you out of state when you applied? and if so, what made you pick drew over other schools, despite pricepricetagtag?

Thanks for being available! And happy holidays!

I was wondering if you could tell us a little bit about the atmosphere (i.e. is it supportive?) & the collaboration at CDU/UCLA? Also, were you out of state when you applied? and if so, what made you pick drew over other schools, despite pricepricetagtag?

Thanks for questions! PM’s are preferred, because it can be hard to follow the school-specific threads.

For me, Drew was my dream school. I was raised in the surrounding neighborhood, and was quite familiar with the issues that Drew was actively working to combat.

I wanted (and still want) to work in underserved areas, and to assist with introducing and/or bringing back healthcare resources to these specific communities. So once I was accepted, the decision was a no-brainer, because I want to become a community-based physician. As far as the environment, Drew is family and we do our best to make sure you feel supported. If you have specific questions regarding support, then feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all! How is the diversity at CDU/UCLA? How many people are URM out of 24 students? How many are asians? How many are white?
Thank you very much!

Does drew have mostly non-trad applicants and matriculants? Looking at the list of Prime students, I have noticed that most of them had done masters before entering CDU/UCLA. As someone graduating this year and who really wants to apply to Drew, I am afraid that my LizzyM score would be insufficient when compared to people who are older than me, hence, who have more experience than me.

I know many people joke about the fact that CDU students are the one pulling the median GPA and MCAT down for UCLA, but it seems to be understandable if all students have taken multiple years off, got a masters and did well in it, and volunteered all around the world.

Please let me know if applying would be just a charitable donation. Thank you!

Who’s thinks there getting in? Lowkey I do

Has anyone been able to get student hosting for their interviews?
So I called them around December 20th to inquire about this (Interviewing on the 20th of Jan.). I was told they would be placing us with students a week or so before the interview. Another thought on this topic and maybe someone can give me feedback. I live about 60 miles from the campus, in a way I feel bad asking to room with a student because I know others are traveling from much further away but money is an issue at the moment and I just think it would be awesome to have that interaction before the big day. Any thoughts on this matter?

So I called them around December 20th to inquire about this (Interviewing on the 20th of Jan.). I was told they would be placing us with students a week or so before the interview. Another thought on this topic and maybe someone can give me feedback. I live about 60 miles from the campus, in a way I feel bad asking to room with a student because I know others are traveling from much further away but money is an issue at the moment and I just think it would be awesome to have that interaction before the big day. Any thoughts on this matter?

...I suspect they have enough willing---and maybe even "eager" students to accommodate all who apply. Hope you enjoy your visit. 60 miles with limited funds is as "right" as 3000 miles with limited funds. Says a lot about you that it is a concern. You're gonna be the kind of doc I'd want to go to... Good luck and enjoy.

Does anyone know what time the mixer is? I want to book a flight so I’m trying to get there before the mixer begins

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 here (not at UCLA but at another great school) just to say that I was in this same situation last year (never receiving the secondary). UCLA is very strict with the screen, and even though I reached out to the admissions office several times they did not budge. It honestly made me wonder if they have some kind of unspoken age cut-off for nontrads? I was just over 30 when I applied, as opposed to a friend of mine from grad school was was 28 (and is now happily enrolled). We would have been similar, though obviously not identical, applicants. It would suck if that was the case, but I also understand they have a lot of applications to go through and wouldn't fault them for using some shortcuts.
That is fascinating and peculiar....I wonder.

I do hope this is not the case. Perhaps it had more to do with me being a reapplicant? Thought it felt odd to me that I had received the secondary my first cycle (as a much less qualified 22-year-old) and not my second cycle. Shrug? I am rooting for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone willing to share how their interview day here went and how they liked the program? I'm interviewing this month!

Anyone hear from Drew about our interview on 1/20/18? Just slightly anxious about this.

Any insight on the timeline for the September interviewees? If we don't hear by end of January (the first round of acceptances, I heard), is it unlikely that we're gonna get in?

Thanks in advance!

...does anyone have any idea how many have been accepted, so far? in state, out of state?

Rejected just now pre-secondary. OOS

As we have read before, Drew is family. I was surprised to have received an II myself. They definitely have an agenda that allows the surrounding community to benefit from the physicians they produce. I am so grateful to interview for this program. <3

Reactions: 3 users
As we have read before, Drew is family. I was surprised to have received an II myself. They definitely have an agenda that allows the surrounding community to benefit from the physicians they produce. I am so grateful to interview for this program. <3

Happy to have to you interviewing! Good luck on your interview this Saturday!

Recently interviewed here (1/20)! Now i'm totally in LOVE with this school! Will pick Drew over any of my acceptance!!!

Also, to anyone who interviewed, do you remember the policy on thank you email? I sent in one generally to Joe because I don't remember being told not to do so! just out of curiosity!

Thank you and good luck to everyone! I'm really hoping for good news!!

Reactions: 2 users
Recently interviewed here (1/20)! Now i'm totally in LOVE with this school! Will pick Drew over any of my acceptance!!!

Also, to anyone who interviewed, do you remember the policy on thank you email? I sent in one generally to Joe because I don't remember being told not to do so! just out of curiosity!

Thank you and good luck to everyone! I'm really hoping for good news!!

When you interviewed, did they say when they are going to start calling for acceptances?

When you interviewed, did they say when they are going to start calling for acceptances?

If I understood correctly, they said that 11 acceptances have already been given out, next batch of acceptances will be from those that interviewed in Jan/Feb and we could expect to hear back sometime in March.

Reactions: 2 users
If I understood correctly, they said that 11 acceptances have already been given out, next batch of acceptances will be from those that interviewed in Jan/Feb and we could expect to hear back sometime in March.

WOW really? Did Joe say this?

I feel like they have decided who but haven't started calling yet...I'm hoping lol

What's the median age at matriculation? Are students at Drew generally older than at other medical schools? My advisor at uni said I shouldn't even bother applying here because Drew mostly accepts non-trads, but I would rather ask someone who is currently attending before I start crying (my advisor is a bitter mean person and has repeatedly demotivated people who went to see him...). Please let me know! Thanks!

What's the median age at matriculation? Are students at Drew generally older than at other medical schools? My advisor at uni said I shouldn't even bother applying here because Drew mostly accepts non-trads, but I would rather ask someone who is currently attending before I start crying (my advisor is a bitter mean person and has repeatedly demotivated people who went to see him...). Please let me know! Thanks!

During my interview date, I spoke with around 16 other applicants and they were all non trads either working or in graduate school. However, I don't personally think its because they have a preference for non trads, but because many of the applicants that Drew attracts are those were the first in their family to go to college, and didn't really start college off on the right foot. In order to make themselves more attractive applicant many have gone to do very interesting work in the community, abroad, or have pursed other degrees.

You should definitely still apply if your interested.

yikes... hoping someone else at this interview can confirm or deny this? :eek:
Also a 1/20 interviewer. Can confirm that Joe said that 11 spots were offered. Though he also emphasized that the process is so tricky and if we didn't hear anything after the interview that we were on the waitlist. Regardless, let's keep our heads up. The starting line to medical school is close!

Also a 1/20 interviewer. Can confirm that Joe said that 11 spots were offered. Though he also emphasized that the process is so tricky and if we didn't hear anything after the interview that we were on the waitlist. Regardless, let's keep our heads up. The starting line to medical school is close!

Were they actually notified? I’m surprised that nobody has posted

I called also, no one has been notified. Hopefully sometime before mid-february.

That's really odd, he definitely told our interview group they had already made 11 offers.

You guys don't call Joe and bother too much. He told us all the facts at the interview and also made it clear if you bug too much he may have to tell the Adcoms. Just some advice. Also there were a good amount of young applicants at the interview so if you are a non-trad don't worry.

You guys don't call Joe and bother too much. He told us all the facts at the interview and also made it clear if you bug too much he may have to tell the Adcoms. Just some advice. Also there were a good amount of young applicants at the interview so if you are a non-trad don't worry.

Some of us had our interviews more than 4 months ago.

+1 also 1/20 interviewer, can confirm! Good luck to everybody!