2020-2021 Charles R Drew @ UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Charles R Drew @ UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted this cycle, & I sent 3. One committee letter, one from a physician I spent roughly a month shadowing & another from my mentor/advisor.

Was that just your decision, or did you find any reference for this?
Thank you for sharing btw!

Does this program have their own match-list for students in this program?

I was accepted this cycle, & I sent 3. One committee letter, one from a physician I spent roughly a month shadowing & another from my mentor/advisor.

Highly interested in Charles Drew. Can I pm you and ask a couple of questions?

When do they normally send out secondaries? Would applying in Mid-August be fine for this school?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who has been transmitted heard anything?

Anyone applying to the CDU program as well as UCLA separately? Are you planning on using the same secondary responses to both programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying to the CDU program as well as UCLA separately? Are you planning on using the same secondary responses to both programs?
I’m applying to both but in my opinion the questions are too different to reuse any of my answers.

I am interested in the program but could anyone provide more information about the school? Is it a separate school from UCLA? If we apply to both is it going to affect our chances of getting into UCLA? And how is the match rate?

I am interested in the program but could anyone provide more information about the school? Is it a separate school from UCLA? If we apply to both is it going to affect our chances of getting into UCLA? And how is the match rate?
I’m just an applicant, but I had a long convo with someone who goes there.

It’s a joint program that’s pretty much the “urban underserved” track for UCLA. You do almost everything that the Geffen students do. Take the same tests and classes, etc during preclinical. You graduate with them. Drew students are on the Geffen match list. One of the only different things is that you are required to do rotations at one of the county hospitals and certain community clinics (higher proportion of underserved patients).

The program is also small (24 students in each class) so the community is really close knit and the relationships with faculty are more 1 on 1 and really great.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m just an applicant, but I had a long convo with someone who goes there.

It’s a joint program that’s pretty much the “urban underserved” track for UCLA. You do almost everything that the Geffen students do. Take the same tests and classes, etc during preclinical. You graduate with them. Drew students are on the Geffen match list. One of the only different things is that you are required to do rotations at one of the county hospitals and certain community clinics (higher proportion of underserved patients).

The program is also small (24 students in each class) so the community is really close knit and the relationships with faculty are more 1 on 1 and really great.

Thank you! Since it’s technically part of Geffen , do we apply to the two programs separately on AMCAS? Will they have two different admission committee?

I’m applying to both but in my opinion the questions are too different to reuse any of my answers.
Wow I didn't cross reference the secondary databases I used. One of them had both program's secondaries exactly the same (CDU just had less questions). I just checked other websites and found the difference you're talking about. Thank you!

Thank you! Since it’s technically part of Geffen , do we apply to the two programs separately on AMCAS? Will they have two different admission committee?
I believe it is different admissions committees because they have two different deans and directors. I’m only applying to the Drew program so I don’t know much about applying to Geffen on top of it.

Can someone give me a TLDR rundown of this school? Does it have a URM mission or rural-specific mission?
Odd that it doesn't show up on MSAR.

Yeah I figured. Probably low-yield for those who don't fit the mission. Thanks!

Also I found that CDU stats are integrated into DGSOM on MSAR if others were also wondering why it wasn't on there. I wonder if the 4-year DGSOM stats displayed are slightly lower than they actually are because of this. IE median is 517 for accepted students but it could be 519 for 4-year DGSOM. Something worth noting for sure if applying.

PS I'm referring to 4-year DGSOM bc CDU does it first 2 years (or one now?) at DGSOM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find any information on what kind of letters of recommendation they accept. Does anyone know? I submitted here on the first day, but didn't attach any letters. Wondering if that will impact any secondary decision

According to the tracker, an OOS person already got a secondary and an interview????

• Wow
I can't find any information on what kind of letters of recommendation they accept. Does anyone know? I submitted here on the first day, but didn't attach any letters. Wondering if that will impact any secondary decision
So you got a secondary? Can you post the prompts if so?

So you got a secondary? Can you post the prompts if so?

sorry, I meant I submitted the primary on the first day! I was wondering if they wanted LORs with it in order to send a secondary (and if so, what kind of letters they want)

@aristrutz523 So I just emailed admissions! They told me that no application has been reviewed yet and they would be sending an e-mail acknowledgement to applicants soon. The person in the invite tracker probably selected the wrong school - possibly meant to select Cooper.

@aristrutz523 So I just emailed admissions! They told me that no application has been reviewed yet and they would be sending an e-mail acknowledgement to applicants soon. The person in the invite tracker probably selected the wrong school - possibly meant to select Cooper.

PHEW. Lol I was like damn y’all we can’t all suck???

• Haha
Hey @TheDataKing we think that first point may be incorrect. Not sure you can do anything about it but just FYI.

How are you guys prewriting the question "Describe your community and socioeconomic environment?" is this asking about our family? current city of residence?

Just received a “Primary Application Received” e-mail.

secondaries will be sent from now until early November.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an AMCAS Primary received. verified 7/27. Now we wait for secondaries...

Reactions: 3 users
Just received that email as well.

Does anyone know if they only accept LORs with the supplemental like DGSOM, Davis, and SF? I haven’t sent any LORs yet because I didn’t see anything about letters on the website.

I am debating reapplying. I didn’t even get a secondary last time so I am not sure tho lol