2019-2020 Charles R Drew @ UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Charles R Drew @ UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Drew sent me an email about receiving my primary application. Their email included:
"The Admissions Committee is reviewing applications and will notify you of your status as soon as a decision is reached. Supplemental application invitations will be sent beginning in July through November."

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary today, here are the prompts:
  1. Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. 800 char
  2. What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? 800 char
  3. What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? 800 char
  4. Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? Yes 300 char or No
  5. What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? 300 char
  6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. 300 char
  7. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. 500 char
  8. Describe your work experience: 4000 char
Also just made my account and this is my first post, YAY!
I could be wrong, but I believe these are the UCLA Geffen secondary questions, not UCLA Drew.

Anyone else get a secondary from here? I just received the email that they were going to review my application.

Anyone else get a secondary from here? I just received the email that they were going to review my application.

I've only gotten the email that says they have received my primary. No CDU secondary yet, but I have received the DGSOM secondary with the PRIME questions (I'm applying PRIME). In previous years, it seemed that CDU was slower than other schools with sending out secondaries. I don't think I'm the best fit for CDU though, so that could be why I haven't received a secondary.

Last edited:
I received an email from CDU/UCLA today encouraging me to apply based on URM/MCAT performance. Can any current students or knowledgable individuals provide/direct me to some good info on the program? Basically want to know what matching/STEP performance is like and how research opportunities and clinical experiences are. How different are CDU/UCLA students' exposures and access to research and additional degree opportunities vs DGSOM students?

I am very interested in a particular subspecialty and have a bevy of research experience in that subspecialty; however I'm also very committed to increasing inclusivity in medicine and aware that I would likely be one of a few individuals of my ethnicity in that subspecialty, and have a heavy teaching/mentorship component to my app. Not sure if CDU would be a good fit for a inclusivity-minded yet still research-heavy and subspecialty pursuing applicant like me.

Waiting on the 2°! Verified this week with communication to expect more feedback soon, hopefully sooner than later...

Last edited:
I've only gotten the email that says they have received my email. No CDU secondary yet, but I have received the DGSOM secondary with the PRIME questions (I'm applying PRIME). In previous years, it seemed that CDU was slower than other schools with sending out secondaries. I don't think I'm the best fit for CDU though, so that could be why I haven't received a secondary.

When you applied to PRIME, did you have to submit to both UCLA-DREW and UCLA-GEFFEN on AMCAS?

CDU's website says: "Applicants interested in being considered for Charles R. Drew/UCLA PRIME-LA must submit an AMCAS to both Charles R. Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program and DGSOM UCLA PRIME-LA" — which I find confusing.

When you applied to PRIME, did you have to submit to both UCLA-DREW and UCLA-GEFFEN on AMCAS?

CDU's website says: "Applicants interested in being considered for Charles R. Drew/UCLA PRIME-LA must submit an AMCAS to both Charles R. Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program and DGSOM UCLA PRIME-LA" — which I find confusing.

Yes I did. I think you have to if you want to be considered for PRIME-Drew.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Does that mean that the UCLA 512 cutoff is also in effect for all PRIME applicants?
I don't think the cutoff is in effect this year - myself and others below the cutoff received a secondary from UCLA Geffen! (unless they check for the cutoff after receiving secondaries? which would be weird)

I don't think the cutoff is in effect this year - myself and others below the cutoff received a secondary from UCLA Geffen! (unless they check for the cutoff after receiving secondaries? which would be weird)

Does Geffen not pre-screen for who to get secondaries?

Last edited:
Does Geffen not pre-screen for who to get secondaries?
I believe they do, or at least they did in previous years. you can take a look at the Geffen thread though because there's some who received secondaries rather quickly and others who haven't heard back yet despite having high stats

For PRIME applicants, since you have to select on AMCAS both UCLA/DREW and UCLA-Geffen PRIME (and have to pay twice), would you be considered for MD at both schools if you were not selected for PRIME?

Still waiting on that secondary haha. This school and CalMed are taking a while

Reactions: 1 user
Why would one choose CDU-PRIME instead of UCLA-PRIME? What's the difference, especially that you're paying an extra $40 for CDU-PRIME (because you have to apply to both CDU and UCLA-PRIME just to be considered for CDU-PRIME)?

When did you guys get the "Application is under review email"
7/3/19, I’m happy they are starting the process earlier than last year. Definitely one of my top choices!

can someone post the secondary questions please and thank you!!

can someone post the secondary questions please and thank you!!
Have you experienced an uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so, please explain. What did you do to improve? (800 characters maximum)
If you are currently not a full-time student, please list and describe your current activities. (800 characters maximum)
Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (800 characters maximum)
Describe your community and socioeconomic environment. (800 characters maximum)
Describe the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years. (800 characters maximum)
Describe how your experience, community, and family background impact your understanding of underserved communities. (800 characters maximum)
Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important healthcare issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (800 characters maximum)
Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R. Drew University. (800 characters maximum)
Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (800 characters maximum)
Please provide any additional information, which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight into you as an applicant. (800 characters maximum)
If you have not completed all of the prerequisites, list the specific courses you are missing and your projected time for completion.
How did you hear about our program? 800

Reactions: 3 users
Have you experienced an uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so, please explain. What did you do to improve? (800 characters maximum)
If you are currently not a full-time student, please list and describe your current activities. (800 characters maximum)
Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (800 characters maximum)
Describe your community and socioeconomic environment. (800 characters maximum)
Describe the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years. (800 characters maximum)
Describe how your experience, community, and family background impact your understanding of underserved communities. (800 characters maximum)
Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important healthcare issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (800 characters maximum)
Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R. Drew University. (800 characters maximum)
Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (800 characters maximum)
Please provide any additional information, which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight into you as an applicant. (800 characters maximum)
If you have not completed all of the prerequisites, list the specific courses you are missing and your projected time for completion.
How did you hear about our program? 800
Appreciate the post! Is this with space or without? I assume not including spaces because 800 characters seems pretty short?

Has anyone been able to submit and pay for their secondary?

Anyone get a secondary this week? If so when did you get your primary is in review email

I just got a secondary today. Verified 6/12

It's asking for the payment to be sent as a cashier's check via mail. Is this correct?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
secondary received today. Submitted my primary around 7/25 IS LM: 65

Verified about a week ago and I just got the e-mail today saying they've received my app, let's see how long this takes :bang:

Does anyone know the criteria to receive a secondary?

For those of you who have received secondaries from Charles Drew Medical College, how much is the fee for submitting the app?

Can we only do money orders?

Thanks in advance!

For those of you who have received secondaries from Charles Drew Medical College, how much is the fee for submitting the app?

Can we only do money orders?

Thanks in advance!
The secondary says cashiers check or money order mailed to them

Just got a secondary! But, with UCLA changing to a one-year preclinical (with second year being clerkships, third year being discovery) how will this affect the UCLA/Drew program?

Just got a secondary! But, with UCLA changing to a one-year preclinical (with second year being clerkships, third year being discovery) how will this affect the UCLA/Drew program?
When were you verified?