2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is a big screen. Apparently only 20% of applicants get a secondary. So that's about 900 students. Of those, I think around 300 get interviews? You'll get an interview man, I've got confidence in you.

I sure hope so, thanks for the encouragement! I'm applying for one of like 5 OOS seats so pretty long odds haha

Members don't see this ad.

Must be a pretty big screen; I still haven't gotten a secondary yet, but I'm getting II's at the other Texas schools so I didn't think my application was too bad o_O

This isn't saying anything about your application at all- but i don't think the other texas schools prescreen!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a big screen. Apparently only 20% of applicants get a secondary. So that's about 900 students. Of those, I think around 300 get interviews? You'll get an interview man, I've got confidence in you.
Where did you find out that only 20% get secondaries?

Where did you find out that only 20% get secondaries?

ONLINEdellmedinfographic_web.jpg

http://dailytexanonline.com/2015/11...d-of-students-using-unprecedented-application

This isn't saying anything about your application at all- but i don't think the other texas schools prescreen!
Of course Texas schools screen their applications. Not every applicant gets a secondary and not every applicant who gets a secondary gets an interview invitation.

Of course Texas schools screen their applications. Not every applicant gets a secondary and not every applicant who gets a secondary gets an interview invitation.
I'm pretty sure not all texas schools prescreen for secondaries. Some of them just send everyone who has submitted a primary a secondary also.

Edit: i know a 100% for UT Southwestern and A&M that anybody who fills out a primary can submit a secondary. And I'm not sure the other schools prescreen either.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure not all texas schools prescreen for secondaries. Some of them just send everyone who has submitted a primary a secondary also.

Edit: i know a 100% for UT Southwestern and A&M that anybody who fills out a primary can submit a secondary. And I'm not sure the other schools prescreen either.

Oh I knew that haha, I meant I currently have interviews at other Texas schools. I'm just a little worried because I'm also a UT undergraduate student with LizzyM 78 and haven't heard a thing :(

Oh I knew that haha, I meant I currently have interviews at other Texas schools. I'm just a little worried because I'm also a UT undergraduate student with LizzyM 78 and haven't heard a thing :(
Oh sorry i totally read I have IIs at other schools as secondaries instead of interview invites haha

Received a secondary invite last week. I'm in state and haven't submitted my letters yet. LONG essays or at least lots of space, but I tried to get close to the limit, I love the location of this school.

What was the time length between when you received your initial email from Dell and the email for a secondary invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the time length between when you received your initial email from Dell and the email for a secondary invite?
For me it was about a month. I submitted mine late May and then got a secondary late June. But if you look at the previous year's thread you can see that some people got secondaries throughout October. So there's still plenty of time to get one.

II!!! They call you so answer your phone (lol I missed it and it took like 8 calls to get them back on the phone). I'm so excited :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
I just got a call from an Austin area code. I was on the phone with a patient at my job, and the call had only just began when my personal phone rang. I torturedly and helplessly stared at my phone while I was talking to the patient fully realizing what it probably was. Called them back immediately after and had to leave a voicemail. Finally got another call and got the II! Holy crap this is amazing!

ColbertisFREAKINGOUT.gif~c200

Reactions: 5 users
I just got a call from an Austin area code. I was on the phone with a patient at my job, and the call had only just began when my personal phone rang. I torturedly and helplessly stared at my phone while I was talking to the patient fully realizing what it probably was. Called them back immediately after and had to leave a voicemail. Finally got another call and got the II! Holy crap this is amazing!

Yay!

II!!! They call you so answer your phone (lol I missed it and it took like 8 calls to get them back on the phone). I'm so excited :soexcited:

so excited to meet you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Got an invite! I'm so excited about this program!

Are they still calling people for IIs? Didn't get a call:(, but nothing is impossible:)!

Are they still calling people for IIs? Didn't get a call:(, but nothing is impossible:)!

Do not despair O.T.I ! I'm in the same boat as you. They aren't calling anymore today, but this is only the 1st day of interviews. Only 36 people are interviewed each time, so there are still spots left for us.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

how soon did you get secondaries? mine was transmitted 6/20 but have not heard from austin. I was expecting to get a secondary with a good LizzyM and IS. is all hope lost?!

Congrats everyone on the interviews! I am waiting for my MCAT score still but hoping for a secondary once that is sent. Do y'all mind sharing your stats?

First of all, congratulations on the interviews everyone! If your interview was like mine, there will be three different styles within the interview day: a group project, MMI, and two one-on-one interviews. You show up, get your grub, and get assigned to a group. They are going to explain everything about the school, and then you will split off and some will be doing the group project, some will be doing the MMI, and others will be doing the interviews (it's a rotation).

Now, what's new for you beautiful people is you have A) an actual building to tour, and B) The inaugural class to answer questions. I don't know how that will fit in with the interview day, but it definitely will somehow.

As far as tips go I would definitely look up MMI format and understand what it is. Also, just be cool and try to have fun. I know that's kinda cliche, but if there are any specific questions I'd be glad to answer if I can.

Thanks, very helpful! For the group project - is it basically something just to test your ability to work in a team, no prior knowledge needed right?

Exactly, just testing your ability to work with a team. I would say to stand out in group don't be an overbearing a$$hat, but don't be super shy.
So you're saying I should actively push down my teammates. Got it.

I sure hope so, thanks for the encouragement! I'm applying for one of like 5 OOS seats so pretty long odds haha
I applied OOS last year thinking I had no chance. Got an II and couldn't believe it. Then I got in... It's going to be a very stressful year of not knowing what's going to happen. Get ready!

Reactions: 4 users
One of the lucky 5 - congrats, that's awesome! I'm still shocked I got an interview too, hope I can follow it up.
To clarify, I'm matriculating at UTSW not Dell. I think overall Dell ended up accepting more than 5 OOS students because I was definitely not one of the first 5.

To clarify, I'm matriculating at UTSW not Dell. I think overall Dell ended up accepting more than 5 OOS students because I was definitely not one of the first 5.

I see, so more of a rough estimate maybe? Would be kinda hard to guarantee exactly 5 spots when you don't know how many accepted OOS will matriculate for a while

I see, so more of a rough estimate maybe? Would be kinda hard to guarantee exactly 5 spots when you don't know how many accepted OOS will matriculate for a while
They definitely accept more than 5. All the TX schools accept more OOS than will matriculate (obviously)

They definitely accept more than 5. All the TX schools accept more OOS than will matriculate (obviously)
With only 5 spots for OOS students, if Dell happens to accept 5 students for whom Dell is #1, then there might be zero waitlist movement.
However last year I got in off the waitlist, which means one of the first 5 OOS acceptees withdrew (actually I think more than one did because more OOS students were accepted at the same time).

For anyone who hasn't gotten a secondary yet, I called yesterday and was told that they (2 people) were processing applications submitted at the end of May.

For anyone who hasn't gotten a secondary yet, I called yesterday and was told that they (2 people) were processing applications submitted at the end of May.

Thanks for sharing this, haha. Out of the 30 schools I've applied to, dell is one of five I didn't get a secondary from and I was verified June 17th so I'm kind of like...uh how uncompetitive am I?!!!

This is my top choice in Texas, for real. Would feel so lucky to get an interview here and be given the opportunity to be in one of their first classes. Austin is a great city and this is a phenomenal opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users