2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary last week. The portal says that they have everything (including the secondary fee) but not the secondary application. It is also still listed under "outstanding assignments" and if I click on the application, the "submit form" button is still at the bottom. Is this normal? I could have sworn that I already submitted.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary last week. The portal says that they have everything (including the secondary fee) but not the secondary application. It is also still listed under "outstanding assignments" and if I click on the application, the "submit form" button is still at the bottom. Is this normal? I could have sworn that I already submitted.
I would hit submit again. I think it should move to "completed assignments"

Members don't see this ad :)
II!!!! got the invitation like 20 min ago!:soexcited::banana:
So happy & grateful!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!!! Do you mind sharing stats and completion date?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks!
I completed everything for A&M by 6/10.
my stats are very TX matriculant avg with unique EC/background (but I mean I think everyone has an interesting story to tell lol)
Hope it helps:)

Reactions: 1 user
To all current students:

What would you say are some of the most unique things about Texas A&M that make you love going here? Why Texas A&M?

To all current students:

What would you say are some of the most unique things about Texas A&M that make you love going here? Why Texas A&M?
I'm an M1 that has literally only had a week of classes, which isn't much to go off of but I'll try. I picked A&M for several different reasons, I liked their values and the way the students talked about each other and how they worked together, I liked the curriculum (1.5/2.5), I liked the hospitals they are affiliated with and the ability to do rotations at other campus designations without it being an away rotation. The students were unanimously positive about how helpful and engaging the professors were, and that was something I was looking for. Our class is close to 200 students, but every professor is trying to learn the names of the whole class. During lecture its not uncommon to see 3 or 4 other professors sitting in the back of the room watching the lecture with us so that they know exactly what was covered when we get into lab or to answer the numerous questions we have. I interviewed with an adcom member nearly a year ago now but can still remember word for word what he said at the end of the interview and it really left an impression on me, which is not something I can say about my other interviews. To me the biggest drawback is the campus split, I'm already not looking forward to my class splitting next year because people that I'm growing really close to are not the same campus. But to me that sacrifice is worth it.

On interview day every school is going to try and wow you with something that they think makes their school so much better than all of the others (UTSW with the Friday rotations and new Parkland, Houston with the helipad and OR view deck, San Antonio- new hospital , A&M anatomy lab just to name a few) Don't pick a school just based on that, because most of your time that wont be spent playing with all the really cool shiny toys. Med school is a lot of work and ultimately you want to go to school where that work is worthwhile and maybe in its own way enjoyable. Pay attention to the students, not just the basic "we all get along" line look at their dynamic and how they interact with each other, you, and the school; ultimately that is a reflection of qualities the school is looking for. Every adcom has their own criteria based on their values and if they dont fit with yours its probably not the right place for you to be, no matter how good the school is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm an M1 that has literally only had a week of classes, which isn't much to go off of but I'll try. I picked A&M for several different reasons, I liked their values and the way the students talked about each other and how they worked together, I liked the curriculum (1.5/2.5), I liked the hospitals they are affiliated with and the ability to do rotations at other campus designations without it being an away rotation. The students were unanimously positive about how helpful and engaging the professors were, and that was something I was looking for. Our class is close to 200 students, but every professor is trying to learn the names of the whole class. During lecture its not uncommon to see 3 or 4 other professors sitting in the back of the room watching the lecture with us so that they know exactly what was covered when we get into lab or to answer the numerous questions we have. I interviewed with an adcom member nearly a year ago now but can still remember word for word what he said at the end of the interview and it really left an impression on me, which is not something I can say about my other interviews. To me the biggest drawback is the campus split, I'm already not looking forward to my class splitting next year because people that I'm growing really close to are not the same campus. But to me that sacrifice is worth it.

On interview day every school is going to try and wow you with something that they think makes their school so much better than all of the others (UTSW with the Friday rotations and new Parkland, Houston with the helipad and OR view deck, San Antonio- new hospital , A&M anatomy lab just to name a few) Don't pick a school just based on that, because most of your time that wont be spent playing with all the really cool shiny toys. Med school is a lot of work and ultimately you want to go to school where that work is worthwhile and maybe in its own way enjoyable. Pay attention to the students, not just the basic "we all get along" line look at their dynamic and how they interact with each other, you, and the school; ultimately that is a reflection of qualities the school is looking for. Every adcom has their own criteria based on their values and if they dont fit with yours its probably not the right place for you to be, no matter how good the school is.
This is true for any endeavour in life. Preach!

Good luck to all of you interviewing tomorrow! Hope I can say Hi to some of yall in between studying.

My app was submitted 7/21 and is still under review. Is it bad that I haven't heard anything yet? I'm OOS. Do any OOS have interviews set up yet? I'm stressing!

Members don't see this ad :)
My app was submitted 7/21 and is still under review. Is it bad that I haven't heard anything yet? I'm OOS. Do any OOS have interviews set up yet? I'm stressing!
Don't worry too much. Schools continuously cycle through applications and it is very early. A&M wants to try and interview close to 1,000 applicants this year until mid-December. Now, there were a few OOS at my interview day, but I am sure they will continue to look at many more. Just try and be as patient as possible, no matter how hard it sounds.

Ummmm, I cannot tell if you are a troll or not. You submitted 15 days ago and you are expecting a response/interview?? Haha, the neuroticism is getting to you!! I submitted 5/24 and I am getting a bit worried, but still am optimistic. It has been a bit over 2 months for me!

Not a troll! Hahaha. I was just seeing these IS people getting super fast responses and was getting worried. Wasn't sure how quickly they were giving interviews.

Not a troll! Hahaha. I was just seeing these IS people getting super fast responses and was getting worried. Wasn't sure how quickly they were giving interviews.
Yeah a lot of people have but I haven't seen any responses that soon. You got a ways to go! Welcome to the game of waiting haha! I wish you good luck here in Texas. It is a great place.

You also need to know that there will be a lot fewer OOS interviews since there are only about 20 spots for OOS students at Texas A&M. There will be a LOT more IS interviews than OOS, so don't get discouraged by seeing all of the people IS getting interviews at a faster rate.

In agreement with @yellowbottlesippin haha I was under review on 6/18 and nothing yet. We need to learn to be very patient during this whole process! Much easier said than done when people who submitted after you and have lower stats get an II..

In agreement with @yellowbottlesippin haha I was under review on 6/18 and nothing yet. We need to learn to be very patient during this whole process! Much easier said than done when people who submitted after you and have lower stats get an II..
Exactly! And I am still trying to remain calm. 70 days and counting....

Hello SDN community and lurkers!! I've broken my SDN silence to encourage all of you going through this application cycle - especially those looking at Texas A&M! I'm a current M1 here and wanted to share my story and encourage you all to keep your heads up during the long application season.

I submitted to TMDSAS 5/28 and submitted my A&M secondary 6/8 and sat in silence for over 5 months....
At that point, I had only received one interview. But A&M offered me an interview 11/11 for the first week of December. The interview and faculty captivated me, and I knew this was the school for me. And on February 1, I matched!!

Basically, I just wanted to say this for all of you in the waiting process and who are silently watching as others receive multiple interview invites - DON'T LOSE HOPE. It was a long 5 months and about halfway I pretty much assumed no medical school would even want me. I had sent in applications pretty early and hearing no response was discouraging. Even interviewing in December, I was scared there was no way I would match since I was interviewing at the end of the cycle. At the end of the day, I still got in on match day which is when the majority of applicants get accepted to Texas medical school anyways. I'm so thankful things worked out the way they did, and I want to share this hope with you guys.

I can't speak on behalf of the admissions committee, but I am sure that many of you will share similar stories. I know being patient is hard, but I promise it'll be so worth it. Don't ever doubt yourself or think you're not good enough. Keep your head up, stay hopeful, know that I have faith in you guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It was a really nice interview day.

Good breakfast, decent lunch, friendly staff, friendlier students, new curriculum, free swag, nice facilities, and two, 30 minute, conversational interviews that were completely open-file. Expect a good time.

Edit: I noticed that in my log of interview experiences I always discuss food first. It is possible I will choose a school based on food served. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed this interview day. Everyone was so nice, from the med students to the faculty, and they really debunked a lot of myths that I held to be true about medical school. I feel like this interview has made me reconsider my top choice school, as I think A & M might now be it. I am hoping for the best, and I hope to get accepted here. I know for a fact that if I were accepted here, I would be extremely happy.
The interviews are very conversational and I was extremely happy that my statistics were never asked about, it just made me feel like they really saw me for who I was as a person as opposed to just seeing as me as a numerical value. For anyone who interviews here, you will feel right at home

I have interviewed at 3 other schools so far, and I can honestly say that TAMHSC had the best structure when it came to interviewing. in terms of having presentations first and interviews later. Prior to getting an II, I was excited, but TAMHSC wasn't anywhere near being in my top choices. However, after my interview, I completely did a 180. It is now my first choice school, and I am hoping that I prematch here. I like the sense of cohesiveness that I immediately felt upon walking into the school. Everyone was super friendly including my interviewers and the med students. Not sure if you have already interviewed here, but if you haven't, expect a good time. I hope this helps!

Here's a bit about interviews from last year!

Hello SDN community and lurkers!! I've broken my SDN silence to encourage all of you going through this application cycle - especially those looking at Texas A&M! I'm a current M1 here and wanted to share my story and encourage you all to keep your heads up during the long application season.

I submitted to TMDSAS 5/28 and submitted my A&M secondary 6/8 and sat in silence for over 5 months....
At that point, I had only received one interview. But A&M offered me an interview 11/11 for the first week of December. The interview and faculty captivated me, and I knew this was the school for me. And on February 1, I matched!!

Basically, I just wanted to say this for all of you in the waiting process and who are silently watching as others receive multiple interview invites - DON'T LOSE HOPE. It was a long 5 months and about halfway I pretty much assumed no medical school would even want me. I had sent in applications pretty early and hearing no response was discouraging. Even interviewing in December, I was scared there was no way I would match since I was interviewing at the end of the cycle. I'm so thankful and encouraged that wasn't the case, and I want to share this hope with you guys.

I can't speak on behalf of the admissions committee, but I am sure that many of you will share similar stories. I know being patient is hard, but I promise it'll be so worth it. Don't ever doubt yourself or think you're not good enough. Keep your head up, stay hopeful, know that I have faith in you guys!

Awesome! Thanks for the great advice! Brings me to a little ease regarding the process! Good luck on your next year and do you mind sharing your stats??

I hope some of these include the temple campus interview!

Huh, it didn't cross my mind that the interviews would vary between the two locations. I'm sure both have a similar feel to it!

If anyone has questions about the interview, feel free to PM me! I had mine last week! :)

II! LizzyM 69, complete mid-June. I was offered 9/1.

Super excited!

Reactions: 5 users
II! Complete 7/21. MCAT: 516, cGPA: 3.74, sGPA: 3.57

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone with an Engineering major or research background get an invite to apply for the EnMed program? If so was it followed by an interview invite or is the EnMed program just a generic email sent to everyone?

When do accepted students find out where they will complete their clinical years? Is it before or after matriculating?

When do accepted students find out where they will complete their clinical years? Is it before or after matriculating?
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong: from what I learned on interview day, after you matriculate, you get to apply for where you want to go and tell them why. Normally people get their 1st - 3rd choice. Once everyone splits, you have a chance to apply to change where you are again.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong: from what I learned on interview day, after you matriculate, you get to apply for where you want to go and tell them why. Normally people get their 1st - 3rd choice. Once everyone splits, you have a chance to apply to change where you are again.
They have you rank each location after Match. Sometime mid March I think they said. They also have some times throughout your MS1 year to switch with someone if you're unhappy with your location, I believe.

They have you rank each location after Match. Sometime mid March I think they said. They also have some times throughout your MS1 year to switch with someone if you're unhappy with your location, I believe.
Thanks for the clarification!

What is up with this 3-4 week waiting period after the TMDSAS app is transmitted. Does anyone know why it takes so long to be received by the school? I'm just curious not trying to complain

What is up with this 3-4 week waiting period after the TMDSAS app is transmitted. Does anyone know why it takes so long to be received by the school? I'm just curious not trying to complain
TMDSAS analyzes and verifies all the information you entered, transcripts, grades, scores, etc. If you check on their home page they give you a snapshot : "this week we are working on applications received on date xx" https://www.tmdsas.com

TMDSAS analyzes and verifies all the information you entered, transcripts, grades, scores, etc. If you check on their home page they give you a snapshot : "this week we are working on applications received on date xx" https://www.tmdsas.com
I apologize for not being clear. I submitted my application mid July and it was transmitted over a week ago. Logged in to complete the A&M secondary and it hasn't been processed. I was wondering, since everything is done electronically, why does it take A&M an additional 3-4 weeks?

...nevermind i found it. lol thanks for your help

Did the interview packet come through email later? I got an email to schedule a II yesterday but haven't received any more info

I apologize for not being clear. I submitted my application mid July and it was transmitted over a week ago. Logged in to complete the A&M secondary and it hasn't been processed. I was wondering, since everything is done electronically, why does it take A&M an additional 3-4 weeks?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but you don't have to wait for your TMDSAS to be processed to submit the A&M secondary. Their secondary is available to everyone, you just make an account and submit it.

Do the different campuses have different emphases? Or is the clinical experience fairly identical at BCS, Houston, Dallas, Round Rock, Temple?

Do the different campuses have different emphases? Or is the clinical experience fairly identical at BCS, Houston, Dallas, Round Rock, Temple?
Based on my understanding, yes. RR and BCS is more for primary care, while the other three have more opportunity for research and specialty electives.

I have just received an interview invitation for the Bryan campus. This is my second time applying, and it looks like I paid my secondary fee on the 19th of July, so I assume I was complete around then. My LizzyM is around ~66 but I have an unusual transcript and am a nontraditional student. I have an MS from A&M and a long family history of Aggies, so I'm pretty excited for this opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users