2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"By casting doubt on the school's ability to support its normal crop of new students, Byington said there will probably be several qualified students who are either forced to delay their education for a year or seek admittance outside of the state. "

Could this mean that they might ask some of the accepted students to defer for a year?

I was wondering that while reading the article as well. I am also curious on how the proposed budget cuts will affect other Texas school's waitlists/accepted students if it affects them at all.

Members don't see this ad.

"By casting doubt on the school's ability to support its normal crop of new students, Byington said there will probably be several qualified students who are either forced to delay their education for a year or seek admittance outside of the state. "

Could this mean that they might ask some of the accepted students to defer for a year?

For some reason, I would doubt that they would ask students to defer... but we shall see

Reactions: 1 user
I am literally in tears right now. Just saw the letter in the mail after reading on here. I had high hopes for this school. For those of you who wanted to know what the letter exactly said ...

"... In the years past, your position on the alternate list for the Texas A&M College of Medicine would be associated with a high likelihood of joining the 2021 class. Unfortunately, because of the proposed budget cuts, we are forced to suspend offers of class placements to those on our alternate list at this time. If adequate funding levels are restored to the College of Medicine, we may be able to offer placement to those on the alternate list in the future. However, any offers are unlikely to occur before June 2017.

As you evaluate the many possibilities for your future in medicine, we felt it was important to share this information with you. We wish you every success."
thanks for sharing the content, StarkSnow

Members don't see this ad :)
Really sorry for those on the waitlist. This is terrible news.

Any insight to why this is happening to only Texas A&M specifically?

Spoke to A&M and they said that they were originally shooting for 200 in the interview season but anticipated a cut to 180 and gave out 180 spots during match. But due to more budget cuts, they are shooting for a class size of 150 now. Because of that, all the attrition will be held and be made the current class size. Unless more than 30 people withdraw, then they might be able to offer spots to those on the alternate list. But as of now that is very, very unlikely.

In all likelihood, it probably isn't. This may just be how Dean Byington has decided to deal with the change, or it may be that the other Texas schools have yet to take action.

In all likelihood, it probably isn't. This may just be how Dean Byington has decided to deal with the change, or it may be that the other Texas schools have yet to take action.
IDK seems a bit rushed on A&M's part. I understand that they are being pro-active. But this is someone's education and career you are talking about. Why give people hope and take it away a month later? They should have just waited on giving out the waitlist notices in the first place if they had the slightest idea this could happen. With that said, it is not impossible to figure out a way to sustain 30 more students in the class of 2021, instead of cutting down the class size to 150. I feel it is a very rash decision.

IDK seems a bit rushed on A&M's part. I understand that they are being pro-active. But this is someone's education and career you are talking about. Why give people hope and take it away a month later? They should have just waited on giving out the waitlist notices in the first place if they had the slightest idea this could happen. With that said, it is not impossible to figure out a way to sustain 30 more students in the class of 2021, instead of cutting down the class size to 150. I feel it is a very rash decision.

Yes, it definitely seems rushed. There was one of these threads from a few years back where A&M gave out way too many prematches and ended up over their class size after match. They were trying to get people to defer and potentially going to force people to defer. Eventually, there was enough attrition in the class that they ended up going to the waitlist. If they really do have this much movement every year, seems a little rash to completely cut the waitlist in February.

Yes, it definitely seems rushed. There was one of these threads from a few years back where A&M gave out way too many prematches and ended up over their class size after match. They were trying to get people to defer and potentially going to force people to defer. Eventually, there was enough attrition in the class that they ended up going to the waitlist. If they really do have this much movement every year, seems a little rash to completely cut the waitlist in February.
The waitlist wasn't cut. It was suspended as a precautionary measure. It sucks but it is what it is - better they do this now then get into a situation similar to that one you were speaking about.

Well that is not true or right saying better do this now then get into a similar situation. Then how come other schools still have waitlists? Why doesn't every medical school just rush and cut off/suspend their wait lists? Being precautionary is something and being rash is something else.
You still don't know if other schools will follow suit or not. You don't know Texas A&M 's budget, I highly doubt they took this decision lately.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you really think ALL the medical schools in Texas are just going to drop their WL without all hell breaking loose? And that is true, I don't know their budget but I know that cutting off 30 potential seats in their class without any prior notice and just sending in a letter through snail mail all of a sudden is just rash and I am confident they could've figured out a better way than to just vaporize the WL overnight.
Their waitlist was suspended* until June.

Another problem with the suspension until June though is that according to TMDSAS rules, people who hold a spot at another TMDSAS school can not receive a waitlist offer after June 1st. This means that if you ranked this school higher than the school you matched you can't get in unless AM makes an exception to this rule. This is advantageous for those who don't hold any Texas seat yet though but still seems unfair to those who may hold a seat elsewhere and we're hoping for some love from this school.

For those upset about the waitlist being suspended, remember that waitlist offers are never guaranteed acceptances. After being waitlisted, your plan of action should've been to prepare for reapplication or explore other career options, as it's foolish to expect that you'd be accepted from a waitlist. Although it's important to keep hope alive, it's also important to think rationally. Only in time will we know of the full effects of this budget crunch, but have faith that the doctor shortage in Texas will pressure schools to admit as many candidates as they can. The fight is far from finished, friends.

Reactions: 3 users
They are trying to cut down their class size by 30 people. You really think they are going to be more than 30 people switching out? Only then will they go to the waitlist that is currently suspended*. What are the chances of that happening?

You mentioned a sound plan of action. And I'm sure that people who did not match have started preparing for the next cycle or are following whatever plans they have about the future. At least I can say that I have. With that said, no body wants to go through this grueling process multiple times. Hence, even the possibility of hope was encouraging enough, especially given the trend that A&M is known for having a lot of movement from the waitlist. That being stripped away is disheartening. On a different note, cutting down the class size so drastically is a rash move, in my opinion. But it is my opinion which may or may not chime in with everyone else.

If A&M is going down to 150 from 200, I won't be surprised if UTMB and the other schools with large class sizes start slimming down as well. I highly doubt A&M is the only school with budget cuts. I really don't understand the TX government, and how they are cutting so much in education funding, yet keep spending more money on court cases they keep losing.

If A&M is going down to 150 from 200, I won't be surprised if UTMB and the other schools with large class sizes start slimming down as well. I highly doubt A&M is the only school with budget cuts. I really don't understand the TX government, and how they are cutting so much in education funding, yet keep spending more money on court cases they keep losing.
I don't think we can generalize here, maybe the other schools are better at planning their spending. The dean of A&M is new.

I don't think we can generalize here, maybe the other schools are better at planning their spending. The dean of A&M is new.
Yet that's what you're doing?

Check out this q&a they posted on their website

Attachments

• alternate-qa.pdf
    95.2 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: 1 users

We just got an email that said accepted students will keep their place.

Just received an email about the suspension if the alternate list. They basically attached the letter that was snail mailed and a Q&A document about all of this. It seems like they won't know the exact budget cut until May 29 (according to the letter), so I can see why they would make this decision now. Sucks for those of us wanting to hear back before June 1 when we won't be able to accept another offer anymore.

Haven't received any correspondence yet, but man does this suck. I know that for all of us on the waitlist, especially those in my position who only had one offer, this is pretty disheartening news. Many of you are saying that this was always a possibility, and being an alternate does not guarantee you a spot in the class. Still, there was always the hope of medical school this fall. Ah well, these things happen. Time to start preparing for reapplying.

Wondering if anyone is attending the Reapplicant Workshop at TAMHSC tomorrow - if so, have you heard anything about the dress code?

Is the current TAMHSU COM Class of 2021 facebook page ran by students or the school? I got accepted and currently requested to join the closed group, but not sure if my requested would be accepted unless they the admins could check if I am part of the incoming class.

Is the current TAMHSU COM Class of 2021 facebook page ran by students or the school? I got accepted and currently requested to join the closed group, but not sure if my requested would be accepted unless they the admins could check if I am part of the incoming class.
I'm assuming you matched to TAMU right...?

I spoke with a student at McGovern who said they are not cutting their waitlist but instead not hiring new faculty this coming year, so there is still hope for some other waitlists!

I'm going to skip #1 because I'm not Houston track, and honestly never looked into it very much because that wasn't a track I considered. But every campus has its pros and cons.
2. As far as I'm aware there aren't plans as of yet to make that change.
3. From the observations of a single med student of classmates that are married with kids, or are expecting children the support system seems to be very very strong. Occasionally the spouses will bring their kid(s) to the campus during lunch, and so many people want to play with or high five the kids (I love kids so for me its fun to play with the kids but let someone else do the parenting). There is group for married students and parent students and their spouses, and they seem to really help one another.
4. Call the admissions office, they would be the point of contact on that and arranging a visit of the Bryan campus.
(Although the ranking deadline has passed so none of this will really play a role in decision making I hope it offers you at least some limited perspective)

Yes, this helps quite a bit. Thanks for your thoughts!

Are there any current students on here who have selected the Houston campus? Or are currently on the Houston campus? If so, could you please let me know how you like it? Do you spend your time in the main Methodist hospital in the TMC or is your time spent in the smaller Methodist affiliates throughout Houston? Is there any problem with Methodist not being a Level-1 Trauma? Do you have access to MD Anderson? Do you have access to a Level-1 trauma?Any thoughts you have for why you chose this campus and your current feelings would be very helpful. Thank you!!!!

Exactly! this was my point all along! Why cut down the student body when you can make adjustments in other places. It was wrong for A&M to cut down their waitlist and we should reach out to the new dean about it. I discussed this over with my parents and even they felt that it was unfair of A&M to do that. I know some people here are going to say "It is a waitlist and you should have never had depended on it in the first place". They do have a point, however, It is the question of retaining the original class size that was advertised during the interview cycle. Hence, we should talk to the dean. Either call her, email her or make a sizable group and go to CSTAT to talk it over in person.
I'm all ready to go down to CSTAT and talk it over with the new dean!

Cool lets get a couple more people and do it!

If y'all are intent on doing this, I suggest doing it properly. First call and set up an appointment, if they will not give you one initiate conversation via email and work your way into one. Do not show up unannounced expecting an audience: at the least it will look bad on you and will net you no result, and at the most it could kill your chances of ever getting an acceptance, not just at A&M, but statewide. Deans do talk, and it doesn't look good on you as a possible future professional to rant about how unfair this is for you, when it may be the Dean's hard thought fair decision for everyone.

Mostly, just be very clear about your stance and your thoughts, and avoid just shouting that this is unfair.

Reactions: 6 users
I was not planning on shouting "This is unfair" at the dean and walking out LOL. Just making that clear. Of course I would be courteous and want to have a productive conversation, because she is the Dean and I would respect her position and boundaries. Now the part of how this is unfair for me, actually I believe this is unfair to everyone of the students on the waitlist, not just me. But that is good advice, I will do that. Thanks!
Remember when speaking with her, talk about the implications for all waitlisted applicants, but also about the implications for the state of Texas. Texas has a physician shortage, and all Texas public medical schools are obliged to pump out more physicians to fill that shortage. I would avoid the use of the word "unfair" as much as possible, because she may take it the wrong way and see you as an entitled applicant. Remember, this isn't about discussing how you feel about the deans decision, it's about discussing the implications of such a decision for everyone.

If you would like, I can assist you with creating some talking points to discuss with the dean.

You make some great points. I was planning on speaking with the new dean about topics along the same lines. There is and continues to be a shortage of physician in Texas, and reducing the number of students in a graduating class is something that, in my opinion, is not a step in the right direction. This decision could have many repercussions for not just students on the waitlist, but the overall health and wellness of the population. Also, other medical schools are aware of the budget cuts but are finding other ways to retain the class size, such as not hiring new faculty.

If you want to add some talking points, that would be great! You can PM me as well.
I'd still be iffy in approaching. Just be cautious. It's not like se just decided out of the the blue to do this. Although the physician shortage is a great talking point, I'm pretty sure the dean would have taken many other factors into consideration when the decision was made. I'm hopeful for you to get into med school, but I'd still be cautious.

It's worth knowing that the Texas Senate recommended a new REVISED version of their General Appropriations Bill today. The original version showed a cut of about 23 Million to Texas A&M Health Science Center from 2017-2018, but the new REVISED version that the Senate will be voting on Tuesday shows an additional 7 million or so to Texas A&M Health Science center from 2017-2018. I expect this to change A&M's position

Reactions: 2 users
It's worth knowing that the Texas Senate recommended a new REVISED version of their General Appropriations Bill today. The original version showed a cut of about 23 Million to Texas A&M Health Science Center from 2017-2018, but the new REVISED version that the Senate will be voting on Tuesday shows an additional 7 million or so to Texas A&M Health Science center from 2017-2018. I expect this to change A&M's position
Wait where'd you hear that from?

I have been following the legislation closely online. The Appropriation Bills of the House and Senate are both public documents. As are the changes and place in the legislative process. Although neither the House or Senate General Appropriation Bills have been voted on the floor. There could always be more changes, but the changes made by the senate today are very encouraging.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Even though I'm not hoping for anything, it would be nice if A&M continued to communicate with us regarding this matter.
I'm sure that they will continue to communicate, but the revisions to the senate bill only happened this morning. And they don't know what further changes will be made yet.

I'm sure that they will continue to communicate, but the revisions to the senate bill only happened this morning. And they don't know what further changes will be made yet.
True but they didn't even wait till the budget cuts were made to cut class size. Hopefully we all hear some really good news really soon!!!:)

I have been following the legislation closely online. The Appropriation Bills of the House and Senate are both public documents. As are the changes and place in the legislative process. Although neither the House or Senate General Appropriation Bills have been voted on the floor. There could always be more changes, but the changes made by the senate today are very encouraging.
You are a bringer of good news my friend! Would you mind posting the link for it so we can keep up to. Tried looking for it on google but had no luck finding it.