2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True but they didn't even wait till the budget cuts were made to cut class size. Hopefully we all hear some really good news really soon!!!:)
The school will likely not lift the suspension of the waitlist until the bill is finalized and passed. The suspension of the waitlist was done as a precaution, and perhaps might have functioned as leverage. It brought attention to the budget cuts and made people aware of it who may have otherwise not noticed. So while the revised budget is an excellent sign its not a guarantee, the school would be smart to stick with the safe approach and maintain its decision until the budget is passed- ie don't expect them to lift the suspension yet. Hopefully this budget adjustment remains and they will be able to reinstate the waitlist.
Also since few of you have actually met or talked to Dr. Byington I just wanted to share a few things. She literally was informed about the budget cut on her first official day on the job. Its not exactly the best news to get when you come to a new job with plans on how you want to advance the school. So whether you think it was the fair decision, best decision, or right decision, that really wont change it. She it incredibly smart, very strong willed, and ready to fight for her vision to make tamhsc the best school it can be. She is taking this matter very seriously, and I think the revised budget indicates how hard she is fighting to ensure that our funding is maintained.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The school will likely not lift the suspension of the waitlist until the bill is finalized and passed. The suspension of the waitlist was done as a precaution, and perhaps might have functioned as leverage. It brought attention to the budget cuts and made people aware of it who may have otherwise not noticed. So while the revised budget is an excellent sign its not a guarantee, the school would be smart to stick with the safe approach and maintain its decision until the budget is passed- ie don't expect them to lift the suspension yet. Hopefully this budget adjustment remains and they will be able to reinstate the waitlist.
Also since few of you have actually met or talked to Dr. Byington I just wanted to share a few things. She literally was informed about the budget cut on her first official day on the job. Its not exactly the best news to get when you come to a new job with plans on how you want to advance the school. So whether you think it was the fair decision, best decision, or right decision, that really wont change it. She it incredibly smart, very strong willed, and ready to fight for her vision to make tamhsc the best school it can be. She is taking this matter very seriously, and I think the revised budget indicates how hard she is fighting to ensure that our funding is maintained.
You sound like you know the new dean. How so?
And how is that a safe approach that gives them "leverage" by playing with countless medical school applicant's sanity? No that is not right.
"She is taking this matter very seriously, and I think the revised budget indicates how hard she is fighting to ensure that our funding is maintained." LOL and how do you know all this? Are you Dr. Byington LOL???

You sound like you know the new dean. How so?
And how is that a safe approach that gives them "leverage" by playing with countless medical school applicant's sanity? No that is not right.
"She is taking this matter very seriously, and I think the revised budget indicates how hard she is fighting to ensure that our funding is maintained." LOL and how do you know all this? Are you Dr. Byington LOL???
I'm a current student, so I have met and talked to Dr. Byington. From all of her communications and the statements she has publicly made on the matter its pretty clear she takes this matter seriously, you dont have to have met her to see that. But because I have had that privilege I thought I would add my additional perceptions in. The reason the approach is safe is because it ensures that if for some reason the state decides that they really do want to cut 23 million from the budget the school has a plan in place to cope. This was their worst case scenario plan that gives them a way to fairly easily adjust is the situation is not as bad as projected. The way I reason it- it much easier for a school to add more students after the budget passes than anything else. So to be clear they suspended the waitlist for that reason not as leverage, but I personally believe it may have inadvertently had the extra benefit of leverage.

You're comment sounds a lot like whining about how this decision is unfair for you but 1)a waitlist is not a guarantee so your sanity should certainly not rest on it and 2)the world especially when it comes to money isn't exactly fair, but when it comes down to where that cut had to happen the school decided that they wanted to avoid as much negative impact on the quality of education they provide to their students. That meant making cuts in places that wouldn't effect those already as the school. See it this way - I am tied to A&M, its a lot harder for me to choose a different school than it is for you. Once you start an MD program, with few exceptions, you cant change to a different school. If you don't like this decision and think its unfair, then withdraw from the waitlist and dont reapply to A&M next year, its that simple.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After rereading the Alternate List Q&A, I found another interesting piece of information. In the Q&A it says that since 2013 TAMHSC has enrolled 200 people per year. During interviews for the 2017 entry class, TAMHSC adcoms also specified that the expected class size would be around 200 people. This means that 200 people matched at TAMHSC on Feb 1st for entry in 2017. In the Q&A it states that the EXPECTED class size will be 150 people, and that the alternate list size would be approximately 1/3 of the class size. Because TAMHSC is expecting the class size to reach approximately 150 people, they are expecting around 50 people to choose not to attend TAMHSC. Utilizing the tidbit they included about their alternate list size, we can also deduce that the waitlist size was determined not by the original 200 students, but by the modified 150 student class.

What does any of this actually mean? Simply put: the alternate list size is indicative of what the expected class size will be, so the alternate list is most likely around 50 people.

What does this mean for you? If the budget cuts are passed, the class size will likely shrink to 150 students, and those on the alternate list will most likely not get into TAMHSC. If the budget cuts are NOT passed AND the dean of TAMHSC decides to reinstate the original 200 student class, the grand majority of the alternate list will be offered acceptance to TAMHSC because the expected attrition amount and waitlist size are identical.

In short: if my assertions about the waitlist size and TAMHSC's response to the budget cuts are correct, AND if TAMHSC is correct that approximately 50 students will choose to attend another school, if budget cuts are NOT passed, everyone on the alternate list should be offered an acceptance to TAMHSC for 2017 entry.

I'm a current student, so I have met and talked to Dr. Byington. From all of her communications and the statements she has publicly made on the matter its pretty clear she takes this matter seriously, you dont have to have met her to see that. But because I have had that privilege I thought I would add my additional perceptions in. The reason the approach is safe is because it ensures that if for some reason the state decides that they really do want to cut 23 million from the budget the school has a plan in place to cope. This was their worst case scenario plan that gives them a way to fairly easily adjust is the situation is not as bad as projected. The way I reason it- it much easier for a school to add more students after the budget passes than anything else. So to be clear they suspended the waitlist for that reason not as leverage, but I personally believe it may have inadvertently had the extra benefit of leverage.

You're comment sounds a lot like whining about how this decision is unfair for you but 1)a waitlist is not a guarantee so your sanity should certainly not rest on it and 2)the world especially when it comes to money isn't exactly fair, but when it comes down to where that cut had to happen the school decided that they wanted to avoid as much negative impact on the quality of education they provide to their students. That meant making cuts in places that wouldn't effect those already as the school. See it this way - I am tied to A&M, its a lot harder for me to choose a different school than it is for you. Once you start an MD program, with few exceptions, you cant change to a different school. If you don't like this decision and think its unfair, then withdraw from the waitlist and dont reapply to A&M next year, its that simple.

Thank you for your input! It's valuable to hear from a current student. From what I have read online, it's clear that Dr. Byington is fighting for the funding to Texas A&M. I'm happy to hear that the new dean is as great as she seems! My goal in sharing the information on current budget changes by the Senate was not to prompt people to make assumptions and expectations about what A&M will do next, but just keep people up to date with what may affect them. Everything you've shared is also good to know. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your input! It's valuable to hear from a current student. From what I have read online, it's clear that Dr. Byington is fighting for the funding to Texas A&M. I'm happy to hear that the new dean is as great as she seems! My goal in sharing the information on current budget changes by the Senate was not to prompt people to make assumptions and expectations about what A&M will do next, but just keep people up to date with what may affect them. Everything you've shared is also good to know. Thanks!
I think the biggest question becomes "What will TAMHSC do about class size if this new bill is passed?"

Wow that was a great deal to read and Im sure it was a great deal to write all that, well maybe not. Anyways, If my comment sounded a lot like whining, you sound a lot like Dr. Bynington writing this post and the post before OR you may consider yourself one of her glorified teacher's pets. In any case, it's easier for you to side with whatever logic TAMU puts out because 1) You are already in Medical school 2) You are a part of A&M for now and for ever 3)You may very well be a teacher's pet. Not taking the 3rd point into account, I see why you may feel the excessive need to side with the schools every move no matter how bad/good it might be for the bigger picture. I can understand that. However, for you to undermine everything that everyone has said of the waitlist being suspended is 1) insensitive 2) ignorant.

Every medical school could have followed TAMU's lead and suspended their respective waitlists, however none, I repeat NONE of the other schools have done that. As for what the future holds, neither you nor I can comment on that. Unless you are a witch, maybe you can see the future then, but IDK doesn't sound very possible. From what you were saying, there's a lot of IF's involved, IF the state cuts the budget, IF the worst case scenarios happens etc etc. Keep in mind other schools are facing these IF's too and they have decided to deal with it in a very different approach than what A&M is doing. This is because the logic of decreasing class size is not as sound as trying to decrease spending in other ways such as pay cuts, not hiring as many new faculty etc etc. I am aware that it may impact the quality of education slightly, moderately or not even at all. But the cost of reducing the number of potential physicians in the great state of Texas who is in dire need of more is a lot more than finding other way to make the budget "fit". The repercussions of such actions will make the current situation either 1)worse or 2)no improvement. These are both bad.
I thought I would add my additional perceptions
Now this is your opinion and you have every right to have one. But you can't go undermining what other people say just because you don't agree with it, and call it whining. That sounds very ignorant and I suggest you stop that.

Wow that was a great deal to read and Im sure it was a great deal to write all that, well maybe not. Anyways, If my comment sounded a lot like whining, you sound a lot like Dr. Bynington writing this post and the post before OR you may consider yourself one of her glorified teacher's pets. In any case, it's easier for you to side with whatever logic TAMU puts out because 1) You are already in Medical school 2) You are a part of A&M for now and for ever 3)You may very well be a teacher's pet. Not taking the 3rd point into account, I see why you may feel the excessive need to side with the schools every move no matter how bad/good it might be for the bigger picture. I can understand that. However, for you to undermine everything that everyone has said of the waitlist being suspended is 1) insensitive 2) ignorant.

Every medical school could have followed TAMU's lead and suspended their respective waitlists, however none, I repeat NONE of the other schools have done that. As for what the future holds, neither you nor I can comment on that. Unless you are a witch, maybe you can see the future then, but IDK doesn't sound very possible. From what you were saying, there's a lot of IF's involved, IF the state cuts the budget, IF the worst case scenarios happens etc etc. Keep in mind other schools are facing these IF's too and they have decided to deal with it in a very different approach than what A&M is doing. This is because the logic of decreasing class size is not as sound as trying to decrease spending in other ways such as pay cuts, not hiring as many new faculty etc etc. I am aware that it may impact the quality of education slightly, moderately or not even at all. But the cost of reducing the number of potential physicians in the great state of Texas who is in dire need of more is a lot more than finding other way to make the budget "fit". The repercussions of such actions will make the current situation either 1)worse or 2)no improvement. These are both bad.
Now this is your opinion and you have every right to have one. But you can't go undermining what other people say just because you don't agree with it, and call it whining. That sounds very ignorant and I suggest you stop that.
You need to grow up. You are whining. Plain and simple.

After rereading the Alternate List Q&A, I found another interesting piece of information. In the Q&A it says that since 2013 TAMHSC has enrolled 200 people per year. During interviews for the 2017 entry class, TAMHSC adcoms also specified that the expected class size would be around 200 people. This means that 200 people matched at TAMHSC on Feb 1st for entry in 2017. In the Q&A it states that the EXPECTED class size will be 150 people, and that the alternate list size would be approximately 1/3 of the class size. Because TAMHSC is expecting the class size to reach approximately 150 people, they are expecting around 50 people to choose not to attend TAMHSC. Utilizing the tidbit they included about their alternate list size, we can also deduce that the waitlist size was determined not by the original 200 students, but by the modified 150 student class.

What does any of this actually mean? Simply put: the alternate list size is indicative of what the expected class size will be, so the alternate list is most likely around 50 people.

What does this mean for you? If the budget cuts are passed, the class size will likely shrink to 150 students, and those on the alternate list will most likely not get into TAMHSC. If the budget cuts are NOT passed AND the dean of TAMHSC decides to reinstate the original 200 student class, the grand majority of the alternate list will be offered acceptance to TAMHSC because the expected attrition amount and waitlist size are identical.

In short: if my assertions about the waitlist size and TAMHSC's response to the budget cuts are correct, AND if TAMHSC is correct that approximately 50 students will choose to attend another school, if budget cuts are NOT passed, everyone on the alternate list should be offered an acceptance to TAMHSC for 2017 entry.
I actually remember the assistant dean saying the class size would be reduced to 180 this year.

I actually remember the assistant dean saying the class size would be reduced to 180 this year.
Taking this into account, they expect 30 people to withdraw. Meaning that most likely 30/50 people from the waitlist will gain acceptance to TAMHSC. Even if the waitlist size was 1/3 of 180 (60) that still leaves a 50% shot if the budget cuts don't occur.

I think the biggest question becomes "What will TAMHSC do about class size if this new bill is passed?"[/QUOTE
Taking this into account, they expect 30 people to withdraw. Meaning that most likely 30/50 people from the waitlist will gain acceptance to TAMHSC. Even if the waitlist size was 1/3 of 180 (60) that still leaves a 50% shot if the budget cuts don't occur.

Even if the budget cuts don't occur, I have a feeling we won't be hearing anything till May or even late May leaving A&M enough time to figure out what the best move is.

Even if the budget cuts don't occur, I have a feeling we won't be hearing anything till May or even late May leaving A&M enough time to figure out what the best move is.

This is the most likely scenario in all honesty. Even if the budget cuts don't occur, we still don't know exactly what TAMHSC will do about class size.

Members don't see this ad :)
the cost of reducing the number of potential physicians in the great state of Texas who is in dire need of more is a lot more than finding other way to make the budget "fit". The repercussions of such actions will make the current situation either 1)worse or 2)no improvement. These are both bad.
I do want to address this specific statement. Because there are several new medical schools in Texas and plans for more, A&M electing to reduce their class size is not as detrimental as you are pushing. Also, at the current point in time the biggest limitation on reducing the physician shortage is actually in GME and residency spots. There are more medical students in Texas than there are residency spots so if your goal and point is really that Texas is in such dire need of more doctors youre gripe shouldn't be that A&M might be reducing the number of students. It should be on ensuring that GME sees growth and increased funding because that will be far more effective at fixing that problem.

Reactions: 6 users
"Medical schools have increased their enrollment. Yet, despite rising numbers of medical school graduates, there has not been a corresponding growth in the number of federally supported residency training positions these new MDs must have to complete their training and practice in their communities. Without raising the federally imposed cap on support for graduate medical education (GME) and expanded training capacity, the increase in medical school graduates will do little to help the growing demand for physician services."

The cap on residency funding is defintely something to be aware of for those who didn't know

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 9.07.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 9.07.04 AM.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 76
This is such a rollercoaster. So ready for June to come.

Does anyone know if A&M released its 2017 match list? I was just at my brother's match day last week, so it'd be interesting to see another school's list.

I have been following the legislation closely online. The Appropriation Bills of the House and Senate are both public documents. As are the changes and place in the legislative process. Although neither the House or Senate General Appropriation Bills have been voted on the floor. There could always be more changes, but the changes made by the senate today are very encouraging.
Thank you so much for keeping us informed utfutmed. Can you keep us posted on how the vote on the bill goes? I remember you saying that they were gonna vote on it Tuesday.

Thank you so much for keeping us informed utfutmed. Can you keep us posted on how the vote on the bill goes? I remember you saying that they were gonna vote on it Tuesday.
Yeah of course. You can follow the legislation by Google searching Texas Senate SB1. The bill is schedule to be voted on by the floor on 3/27. I will continue to update this thread as I know more

Yeah of course. You can follow the legislation by Google searching Texas Senate SB1. The bill is schedule to be voted on by the floor on 3/27. I will continue to update this thread as I know more
Thanks utfutmed, You the man!:horns:

Texas Senate passed Senate Bill CSSB 1 today 31-0. The Bill passed today does NOT necessarily accurately depict what the final bill will be. The House is still in committee and will need to vote on their own General Appropriations Bill, then after that the House and Senate will come together in "conference" to work out the differences between their two budgets. That being said, funding to Health Education in both bills of the House and Senate, as they currently stand, reflect an increase in appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science center. You can use the following links to track the progress through both the House and Senate:

Texas Legislature Online - 85(R) History for HB 1
Texas Legislature Online - 85(R) History for SB 1

Texas Senate passed Senate Bill CSSB 1 today 31-0. The Bill passed today does NOT necessarily accurately depict what the final bill will be. The House is still in committee and will need to vote on their own General Appropriations Bill, then after that the House and Senate will come together in "conference" to work out the differences between their two budgets. That being said, funding to Health Education in both bills of the House and Senate, as they currently stand, reflect an increase in appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science center. You can use the following links to track the progress through both the House and Senate:

Texas Legislature Online - 85(R) History for HB 1
Texas Legislature Online - 85(R) History for SB 1
Awesome, thanks for letting us know!

Does anyone know when we will find out about what track we've been assigned to??

I think we should contact A&M regarding their response to the new amendment that was passed. Hopefully they can start reconsidering the waitlist.

I think we should contact A&M regarding their response to the new amendment that was passed. Hopefully they can start reconsidering the waitlist.
The funding bill has to go through both Texas Senate and House before getting finalized. It is in House of Representatives now. Stay tuned, too early to know what final figures will be.

The funding bill has to go through both Texas Senate and House before getting finalized. It is in House of Representatives now. Stay tuned, too early to know what final figures will be.
True but in either case, "funding to Health Education in both bills of the House and Senate, as they currently stand, reflect an increase in appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science center." That being said, yes, we don't know what the exact figures will be but they show an increase. I think this is a definite cause to find out A&M's views on what they're planning to do next. Can't hurt to ask you know?

True but in either case, "funding to Health Education in both bills of the House and Senate, as they currently stand, reflect an increase in appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science center." That being said, yes, we don't know what the exact figures will be but they show an increase. I think this is a definite cause to find out A&M's views on what they're planning to do next. Can't hurt to ask you know?
Comparing the General Appropriations Bill from 2015 to the one in 2017 you can actually see that the amount of money going towards medical instruction has not changed. The only difference between the bills is the absence of the Special Item Funding present in the 2015 bill amounting roughly to $25 million. Cutting 50 seats from the class won't save TAMHSC $25 million, meaning TAMHSC must have a budgeting problem. Even if the new bill passes with added Special Items Funding, it doesn't resolve the apparent financial instability at TAMHSC.

Comparing the General Appropriations Bill from 2015 to the one in 2017 you can actually see that the amount of money going towards medical instruction has not changed. The only difference between the bills is the absence of the Special Item Funding present in the 2015 bill amounting roughly to $25 million. Cutting 50 seats from the class won't save TAMHSC $25 million, meaning TAMHSC must have a budgeting problem. Even if the new bill passes with added Special Items Funding, it doesn't resolve the apparent financial instability at TAMHSC.

Then what's the point of cutting seats?

Then what's the point of cutting seats?
It seems that because the Special Items Funding covers regional campuses, they're planning on discontinuing the regional campuses (IE Round Rock, Dallas, Temple, etc). Why they couldn't just increase the number of students at the B/CS location, or raise tuition of incoming students is beyond me.

It seems that because the Special Items Funding covers regional campuses, they're planning on discontinuing the regional campuses (IE Round Rock, Dallas, Temple, etc). Why they couldn't just increase the number of students at the B/CS location, or raise tuition of incoming students is beyond me.
That would make way more sense. I sure as hell wouldn't mind paying more in tuition if it means I get to attend this school. Texas A&M is already one of the cheapest medical schools in the country.

I don't think they can just cut the regional campuses? I really doubt the B/CS campus is enough for all of their students.

I don't think they can just cut the regional campuses? I really doubt the B/CS campus is enough for all of their students.
The regional campuses are the only ones that are affected by the proposed budget cuts, so it would make sense that they would localize all faculty to the B/CS campus.

Last edited:

I have no skin in the game regarding A&M, but I think you should just wait until they contact you. If a lot of people keep asking them about their waitlist, especially since they already said the waitlist was suspended as of now, it would just irritate them tbh. They will update you regardless- considering that the bill still has a long way to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Senate Budget Slams Texas's Colleges and Universities

I'm having a tough time actually following what the current state of the budget is. Is this article using outdated numbers in its reporting?
This article was written just after the Texas Senate budget proposal. House of Representatives also will put forward a budget proposal (which funds better from the drafts I have seen) and the final product will be somewhere in the middle. After 16 hours of debate, Texas House approves $106.8 billion budget

I can tell many of you are still confused about where the budget is currently at, so I will try to summarize quickly with some numbers:
2017 PASSED budget (from last legislative session) Total Method of Financing $149,418,672 (For reference)
This Legislative Session:
2018 Proposed Budget in January 2017 by Senate (Sb 1) Total Method of Financing $135,496,056 (the number that made everyone freak out)
After this proposal, the budget went to Senate Committee for Revisions
2018 REVISED Budget in March 2017 by Senate (CSSb 1) Total Method of Financing $158,693,601
After this revised version passed the Senate, the bill went to the House:
2018 Proposed Budget in January 2017 by House (Hb 1) Total Method of Financing $162,247,562
By March, there was a Revised Senate budget and an introduced House bill, the house then took both into consideration in their committee
2018 REVISED Budget in late March 2017 by House to (CSSb1) Total Method of Financing $159,901,163
This revised version has just passed the House, although there were amendments made that have not been released yet that may or may not affect the number above (most likely didn't)

So that's a lot of numbers, but look at the numbers in BOLD. As of today, the House and the Senate have two versions of the bill that have passed their chambers. Both bills show an increase of approximately ~10 Million Dollars to the Texas A&M Health Science Center compared to last year. So what's next?

The Senate and House will each nominate a few members to go into Conference Committee. This committee works out the differences between the two bills until they can come to an agreement, which doesn't usually happen until the end of May. The process involves a lot of moving parts and almost anything can happen. That being said, both chambers have already shown an interest in retaining/increasing funds to higher medical education.

My thoughts: Texas A&M Health Science Center has very little incentive to make any decisions until the bill comes out of the Conference Committee and they know exactly what the final budget will be. Although, the two chambers are very close in their appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science Center specifically, which indicates that an increase of budgetary funds are likely to stay there. Overall, it looks really good but can't count your chickens before they hatch. Hope this summary helped clear some confusion!

I can tell many of you are still confused about where the budget is currently at, so I will try to summarize quickly with some numbers:
2017 PASSED budget (from last legislative session) Total Method of Financing $149,418,672 (For reference)
This Legislative Session:
2018 Proposed Budget in January 2017 by Senate (Sb 1) Total Method of Financing $135,496,056 (the number that made everyone freak out)
After this proposal, the budget went to Senate Committee for Revisions
2018 REVISED Budget in March 2017 by Senate (CSSb 1) Total Method of Financing $158,693,601
After this revised version passed the Senate, the bill went to the House:
2018 Proposed Budget in January 2017 by House (Hb 1) Total Method of Financing $162,247,562
By March, there was a Revised Senate budget and an introduced House bill, the house then took both into consideration in their committee
2018 REVISED Budget in late March 2017 by House to (CSSb1) Total Method of Financing $159,901,163
This revised version has just passed the House, although there were amendments made that have not been released yet that may or may not affect the number above (most likely didn't)

So that's a lot of numbers, but look at the numbers in BOLD. As of today, the House and the Senate have two versions of the bill that have passed their chambers. Both bills show an increase of approximately ~10 Million Dollars to the Texas A&M Health Science Center compared to last year. So what's next?

The Senate and House will each nominate a few members to go into Conference Committee. This committee works out the differences between the two bills until they can come to an agreement, which doesn't usually happen until the end of May. The process involves a lot of moving parts and almost anything can happen. That being said, both chambers have already shown an interest in retaining/increasing funds to higher medical education.

My thoughts: Texas A&M Health Science Center has very little incentive to make any decisions until the bill comes out of the Conference Committee and they know exactly what the final budget will be. Although, the two chambers are very close in their appropriation to Texas A&M Health Science Center specifically, which indicates that an increase of budgetary funds are likely to stay there. Overall, it looks really good but can't count your chickens before they hatch. Hope this summary helped clear some confusion!

I agree that A&M has no incentive in making any decisions now, but I hope they are being proactive in planning what they want to do if this revised budget passes. With the committee meeting in late May, it won't give much time for anyone with an acceptance elsewhere to be taken off the waitlist, assuming they would rather attend TAMHSC.

Are there any M2, M3, or M4 students that are at Houston campus available to answer some questions?

Also, any M1-M4 students at College Station?

Upon calling A&M about what they are doing with the class size given that the budget is looking better now I was told that unless the Dean decides otherwise the class size is going to remain 150 this year. Regardless of how the budget turns out. What BS.

Upon calling A&M about what they are doing with the class size given that the budget is looking better now I was told that unless the Dean decides otherwise the class size is going to remain 150 this year. Regardless of how the budget turns out. What BS.

That would make no sense. Keeping the class size at 150 and not training an additional 30-50 students given adequate resources seems like it would be a disservice to the state.

Did you speak to an administrator or one of the front desk staff? I feel like the front desk would just be instructed to give a status quo type of answer until the Dean does decide.

Reactions: 3 users
None of us understand the internal workings of a medical school so why do we act like we know what they should do? Just because you want them to increase their class size and accept you? Please, do yourself a favor, be happy with where you were admitted or prepare your application to reapply. Let it go.

Reactions: 6 users
None of us understand the internal workings of a medical school so why do we act like we know what they should do? Just because you want them to increase their class size and accept you? Please, do yourself a favor, be happy with where you were admitted or prepare your application to reapply. Let it go.
With all due respect, do you not understand their stated reasoning for the enrollment cuts? They stated explicitly in the letter they sent out that they were cutting seats due to an expected lack of funding. Theyd have every reason to reinstate normal enrollment, considering all evidence so far points to an increase in funding. Not sure what you have against people on the waitlist. If you've read the letter A&M sent out that states "In past years, a spot on the waitlist has correlated with a very high likelihood of acceptance" it seems more than a little obnoxious and spiteful to just tell people to "get over it" and "let it go". Nobody is making any kind of radical proposition for reinstating the normal enrollment. Seats were cut because funding was cut. Now funding is increased so seats should.... do you get it?

Reactions: 5 users
With all due respect, do you not understand their stated reasoning for the enrollment cuts? They stated explicitly in the letter they sent out that they were cutting seats due to an expected lack of funding. Theyd have every reason to reinstate normal enrollment, considering all evidence so far points to an increase in funding. Not sure what you have against people on the waitlist. If you've read the letter A&M sent out that states "In past years, a spot on the waitlist has correlated with a very high likelihood of acceptance" it seems more than a little obnoxious and spiteful to just tell people to "get over it" and "let it go". Nobody is making any kind of radical proposition for reinstating the normal enrollment. Seats were cut because funding was cut. Now funding is increased so seats should.... do you get it?
You really believe things are that simple? How are you to know if other budgeting issues didn't arise or any other issues at all for that matter. Life isn't fair. Please, learn that now.

You really believe things are that simple? How are you to know if other budgeting issues didn't arise or any other issues at all for that matter. Life isn't fair. Please, learn that now.
I believe whatever the school says in an official statement... Nobody said anything about fairness. How about you address the issue based on evidence and stated information from all parties rather than try to patronize people with absurd simplistic one liners like "Life isn't fair. Learn that now"? All I've done is re-state the case A&M made for cutting the list and then suggested what should follow based off what THEY said. Emotions don't matter, facts do. Learn that now.

I believe whatever the school says in an official statement... Nobody said anything about fairness. How about you address the issue based on evidence and stated information from all parties rather than try to patronize people with absurd simplistic one liners like "Life isn't fair. Learn that now"? All I've done is re-state the case A&M made for cutting the list and then suggested what should follow based off what THEY said. Emotions don't matter, facts do. Learn that now.

A&M's initial letter was pretty explicit--they said that while seats may be restored later, it was unlikely to happen before June 2017. Since June is the deadline for students to drop all Texas schools except one, and other Texas schools would no longer offer admissions, they were basically saying this year's smaller class size is set in stone.

A&M obviously prepared for the worse-case scenario early on, and reducing their class size meant making many decisions earlier in the year regarding how many faculty they hire/fire, clinical opportunities, partnerships, etc.. While funding has been restored, class begins in a few months and A&M likely does not have enough time to immediately reverse all the decisions they set in motion. 2017's class will be reduced, and 2018's class will likely be larger again. They should have been more direct, but ultimately this is what they meant with their letter.

I think a lot of students were thinking too optimistically and didn't really understand how definitive their letter was meant to be.

A&M's initial letter was pretty explicit--they said that while seats may be restored later, it was unlikely to happen before June 2017. Since June is the deadline for students to drop all Texas schools except one, and other Texas schools would no longer offer admissions, they were basically saying this year's smaller class size is set in stone.

A&M obviously prepared for the worse-case scenario early on, and reducing their class size meant making many decisions earlier in the year regarding how many faculty they hire/fire, clinical opportunities, partnerships, etc.. While funding has been restored, class begins in a few months and A&M likely does not have enough time to immediately reverse all the decisions they set in motion. 2017's class will be reduced, and 2018's class will likely be larger again. They should have been more direct, but ultimately this is what they meant with their letter.

I think a lot of students were thinking too optimistically and didn't really understand how definitive their letter was meant to be.
Not trying to be rude but you're doing an awful lot of extrapolating in how you expressed their decision making and internal workings. Unless you have some kind of insider information, I don't see any reason as to why your argument is any more valid than the more optimistic outlook on this issue.

Current student here; the space crabs extrapolation is closer to the truth as I've heard it then the optimistic one. Go about your business.

Waitlisted applicants, I am truly sorry this has happened to you. It sucks that A&M randomly decided to cut 25% of the seats for the incoming class this year.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the best policy is to just wait until May 29th and see what happens. All this speculation isn't accomplishing anything.

I will say, however, that this would reflect extremely poorly on A&M since they pinned the class size reduction basically 100% on the budget cuts. Statements like these would be pretty dicey to make:

"Q:How will cuts to enrollment impact the field of medicine in Texas? What are the possible implications related to access to care across the state—looking several years down the road?
A: Decreasing class size will negatively impact our ability to address the physician shortage in Texas. The implications for decreasing class size will be felt in the years to come as qualified students are potentially forced to train out of state."

Reactions: 4 users