2016-2017 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea as to how many people are waitlisted and how many make it? I called A&M the other day and they said that typically they take around 40-50 people off the waitlist. That sounds quite high! like almost a quarter of the class??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea as to how many people are waitlisted and how many make it? I called A&M the other day and they said that typically they take around 40-50 people off the waitlist. That sounds quite high! like almost a quarter of the class??

At my A&M interview, it seemed like everyone I met came off of the waitlist!! I'm sure you have a good chance!!

A safe guess of the number waitlisted would be how many seats there are.. so around 200

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
where did you get that number? What is the class size?

Page three of the student handbook says that each year the class size is limited to 200 students

So I called today, again, and someone else picked up. They said in a good year about 10% of the seats are from the waitlist so if the class size is 180, around 18 seats I guess. Feel so hopeless at this point :(.

So I called today, again, and someone else picked up. They said in a good year about 10% of the seats are from the waitlist so if the class size is 180, around 18 seats I guess. Feel so hopeless at this point :(.
TBH that doesn't change much. If you look at last year's thread, a student said only 20 people in their class came from the waitlist. They also didn't say that they only offer 18 seats, just 18 of those people ended up matriculating. So it's probably more! We need to stay positive!!

Hey sorry I've been MIA a bit! I'm going to UTHSCSA!!!! where'd you match??

Congrats!!! I matched to Houston! Are you from there? Or am I mixing you up with someone else? If you are, do you know of good apartments near the school/med center by chance?

Did anyone receive a rejection email from a&m who also matched to a higher ranked school? I'm just wondering if I hadn't have matched to my higher ranked school if I still would have been rejected! Just curiosity!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive a rejection email from a&m who also matched to a higher ranked school? I'm just wondering if I hadn't have matched to my higher ranked school if I still would have been rejected! Just curiosity!

Lol, what does it matter now, you're going to medical school. No reason being worried about something pointless now. I felt the same way about Mcgovern after receiving a wait list email from them although I got into a higher ranked school.

congrats on the match - all other schools you ranked lower are just a memory. Where will you be going?

Yes y'all all have a great point. No point in over analyzing now. I matched to UTHSCSA!! Very grateful, thanks for all the congratulations!

Congrats!!! I matched to Houston! Are you from there? Or am I mixing you up with someone else? If you are, do you know of good apartments near the school/med center by chance?
That's awesome, I wish Houston had shown me some love. I'm def from Houston so it's good to be out of the city for med school

I would check for apartments on Binz street, and also ones near Kirby if I were you. But since you'll be at UTH, I highly advise you to sign up for the UTH housing apartments ASAP which are an amazing deal for such a cheap price.

Hi y'all! Matched to Texas A&M on Feb. 1, does anybody know the Class of 2021 FB page? I haven't been able to locate it!

Damnit, just got notification of being waitlisted. OOS, interviewed 12/8. The e-mail mentioned submitting updates, such as a personal statement, transcripts, or rec letter. Is it recommended to submit such updates? How much would it increase my chances of getting in?

Damnit, just got notification of being waitlisted. OOS, interviewed 12/8. The e-mail mentioned submitting updates, such as a personal statement, transcripts, or rec letter. Is it recommended to submit such updates? How much would it increase my chances of getting in?
I was admitted off the waitlist last year and never sent any additional updates, but I was also IS not OOS. Updates probably wont do a ton unless you have something important that will greatly increase your chance of acceptance, publications for example. Stellar grades that make up for weaker grades or another professor/physician that knows you extremely well that you haven't already used might have a minimal impact. Even then, schools usually have a certain level of demographic analysis involved in waitlist acceptance (ie trying to find an applicant similar to the student giving up their seat to maintain the diverse student body they selected for.) Basically it not necessary to send stuff in, it wont hurt you if you have something to add and there is a chance it could help.

Reactions: 2 users

Talked to one of the admissions administrators just the other day: submit an update. To paraphrase, "You're an idiot if you don't."

Did anyone receive any emails about a scholarship today?

No, did you?
No. I called and asked about scholarships and they said they review our applications every couple of weeks and assign scholarships accordingly. The staff at A&M are really good at answering questions directly when you call.

I received a prematch here on Nov. 15 and accepted it, but I've been accepted to a higher ranked school on my TMDSAS, so I'm hoping someone else can have my spot here at A&M. Would I just need to email the SOM office to withdraw?

@TexasSurgeon, for all the time you spend on here, I would hope you would have a better understanding of the match. :p Your spot has already been withdrawn through the match. There's nothing you need to do. Somebody already has your spot. If you paid a deposit (like at Tech), it's refundable before May 1, so I would call them about getting it refunded.

Hey everyone! Pretty new to the forums, but I had a burning question so thought I'd give this whole posting thing a whirl.

I really loved A&M but got placed on the alternate list. Hypothetically speaking if any of us alternate-list peeps get off the alternate list, would we just get locked into the campus designations that A&M has vacant space and have no say which track we'd want to go to?

Hey everyone! Pretty new to the forums, but I had a burning question so thought I'd give this whole posting thing a whirl.

I really loved A&M but got placed on the alternate list. Hypothetically speaking if any of us alternate-list peeps get off the alternate list, would we just get locked into the campus designations that A&M has vacant space and have no say which track we'd want to go to?

Yes! That's what has historically happened. You can ask to be put on a waitlist for a track, but chances are, you're stuck with whatever vacancy they have.

Yes! That's what has historically happened. You can ask to be put on a waitlist for a track, but chances are, you're stuck with whatever vacancy they have.
As you said. When you get the acceptance call they tell you chat track you have to choose from (if there is a choice available). You can waitlist for a track change (but that waitlist goes away after white coat). Spring of 1st year they send out campus forms again and some people change campuses at this point.
TLDR - yes, but there is some opportunity to change that designated campus

Lol let's not get ahead of ourselves guys. Judging from last year and the year before's threads, they start extending waitlist offers around mid-April. Let's hope for the best:). Good luck everyone!

So did anyone get a letter saying they suspended the waitlist via snail mail?

I was wondering when that news was going to go out. Sadly, this is true at this moment: with expected state funding cuts for medical education, the decision has been made to let normal attrition from match day form the class size without taking from the wait list. And there's no good way to put this news except that it sucks hard. I know there are a lot of great applicants on this forum and otherwise who landed on the waitlist, and TAMCOM is going to miss out with this move. I'm really sorry, even if there's nothing current students could have done, and I hope your other opportunities pan out. If you need help with beefing up updates to other schools or just want to rant about this, don't hesitate to reach out to me or any of the others here.

I was wondering when that news was going to go out. Sadly, this is true at this moment: with expected state funding cuts for medical education, the decision has been made to let normal attrition from match day form the class size without taking from the wait list. And there's no good way to put this news except that it sucks hard. I know there are a lot of great applicants on this forum and otherwise who landed on the waitlist, and TAMCOM is going to miss out with this move. I'm really sorry, even if there's nothing current students could have done, and I hope your other opportunities pan out. If you need help with beefing up updates to other schools or just want to rant about this, don't hesitate to reach out to me or any of the others here.
Wow, seriously? Does this mean other Texas schools are doing this as well? You'd think things like this wouldn't be happening with a physician shortage and all..

For those of you who received the snail mail about the suspended waitlist, did your status change on the online admissions portal?

Wait, so the waitlist at A&M is gone? That's so bizarre.

This is so unfortunate. I wonder if this will affect other Texas medical schools' wait list as well. :(

I would love to read that if you would send me a (redacted if you want) copy in a message.
It also occurred to me as a reason for saying they won't be taking students from the wait list this year is that maybe they over-offered spots? It has happened at other schools before and they might be hoping for some attrition to get their class number down.

I would love to read that if you would send me a (redacted if you want) copy in a message.
It also occurred to me as a reason for saying they won't be taking students from the wait list this year is that maybe they over-offered spots? It has happened at other schools before and they might be hoping for some attrition to get their class number down.

If they offered 200 seats that may be why. At my interview, they said they were planning on cutting it down to 180. So maybe they are expecting 20 people to drop to form the correct class size.

Didn't get anything from them yet, snail mail or email. Checked on the portal and it still says Im under review.

Yeah, got the letter by mail today. Application portal still shows status as under review.

I am literally in tears right now. Just saw the letter in the mail after reading on here. I had high hopes for this school. For those of you who wanted to know what the letter exactly said ...

"... In the years past, your position on the alternate list for the Texas A&M College of Medicine would be associated with a high likelihood of joining the 2021 class. Unfortunately, because of the proposed budget cuts, we are forced to suspend offers of class placements to those on our alternate list at this time. If adequate funding levels are restored to the College of Medicine, we may be able to offer placement to those on the alternate list in the future. However, any offers are unlikely to occur before June 2017.

As you evaluate the many possibilities for your future in medicine, we felt it was important to share this information with you. We wish you every success."

I really hope other Texas schools don't follow into this. I feel so depressed.

"By casting doubt on the school's ability to support its normal crop of new students, Byington said there will probably be several qualified students who are either forced to delay their education for a year or seek admittance outside of the state. "

Could this mean that they might ask some of the accepted students to defer for a year?