2016-2017 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know there's already some discussion about this, but for teh first question, did you basically answer it as a "Why FSM?"

Isn't the first question about learning styles and how elements of their curriculum would support your learning style? For example, do you learn by attending lecture, by reading, by hands on activities, in a group setting vs independent study. I think it's best to at least connecting something about your learning style with what their curriculum has to offer, and then if you still have space state why FSM. That's my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't the first question about learning styles and how elements of their curriculum would support your learning style? For example, do you learn by attending lecture, by reading, by hands on activities, in a group setting vs independent study. I think it's best to at least connecting something about your learning style with what their curriculum has to offer, and then if you still have space state why FSM. That's my opinion.

I don't know my learning style so I'm writing Why FSM

I know there's already some discussion about this, but for teh first question, did you basically answer it as a "Why FSM?"

"Why FSM" with a strong emphasis on education, since they directly cite their "distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum" in the otherwise short question stem.

I don't think it's the kind of question that's asking for "well, I really like Chicago, and my great uncle's cousin went there..."

Members don't see this ad :)
"Why FSM" with a strong emphasis on education, since they directly cite their "distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum" in the otherwise short question stem.

I don't think it's the kind of question that's asking for "well, I really like Chicago, and my great uncle's cousin went there..."

I just submitted my app. I'm obsessed with research so focused on that part of their curriculum (AOS program).

Secondary received and submitted! Now the waiting and neuroticism begins.

How long did it take for your app status to change after you submitted? Mine hasn't changed lol
Probably being paranoid

Anybody know what happens if you go a few words over the 200 word limit? Will they cut it off at 200 words exactly? I'm having trouble getting my diversity essay down under 210... do you think it would be okay to leave it a little long?

They don't allow you to submit, unfortunately. I struggled with this too, but you're so close, you only have to cut out a few more words!

Anybody know what happens if you go a few words over the 200 word limit? Will they cut it off at 200 words exactly? I'm having trouble getting my diversity essay down under 210... do you think it would be okay to leave it a little long?

How long did it take for your app status to change after you submitted? Mine hasn't changed lol
Probably being paranoid

I checked my status and it says that my app is complete and under review.

Is anyone else having difficulty accessing their application status after submitting payment?

Is anyone else having difficulty accessing their application status after submitting payment?

Their portal is wonky. Try opening it in an incognito tab.

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted secondary! Here's to hoping we all get some II love soon!

Aaaaaand secondary submitted! Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Are there any current medical students, or anyone in general that could give some information or advice regarding FSM's M.D./MPH dual degree? The program says classes are in the evening after the normal curriculum, is this overly stressful?

My letters were received by AMCAS on 7/20. Did Northwestern download everyone's LOR immediately, or does it take a while like Pritzker?

My letters were received by AMCAS on 7/20. Did Northwestern download everyone's LOR immediately, or does it take a while like Pritzker?

I'm unsure. My letters were in already it seems, based on the speed from submission to completion. If you're complete, your status will say so on the initial login page.
upload_2016-7-22_15-12-55.png

I'm unsure. My letters were in already it seems, based on the speed from submission to completion. If you're complete, your status will say so on the initial login page.
View attachment 206691

Ah okay. Yeah they still haven't downloaded my letters even though I've submitted my secondary. I guess I just have to wait a bit.

I've heard feinberg is uniquely full of gunners, even relative to other top tier schools. Also, are any classes in Evanston, or are you downtown all 4 years?

I went here for undergrad and if Feinberg is anything like NU undergrad then there are definitely competitive students. Plus knowing the sheer number of NU undergrads who go to Feinberg via HPME and NUPSP then without doubt some of that culture will get carried over to the med school. I know one girl who was working on a project for a class with a group and they had a shared google doc of everyone's notes from class and important study materials and a couple days before the final assessment she kicked everyone off the doc to use all the resources for herself. I would expect some of that. Unless the HPME kids magically change personalities between undergrad and med school lol

I went here for undergrad and if Feinberg is anything like NU undergrad then there are definitely competitive students. Plus knowing the sheer number of NU undergrads who go to Feinberg via HPME and NUPSP then without doubt some of that culture will get carried over to the med school. I know one girl who was working on a project for a class with a group and they had a shared google doc of everyone's notes from class and important study materials and a couple days before the final assessment she kicked everyone off the doc to use all the resources for herself. I would expect some of that. Unless the HPME kids magically change personalities between undergrad and med school lol

One of the physicians I work with went to NU for undergrad and described it pretty much the exact same way you did. Very cold and competitive environment that ultimately drove her to go somewhere other than Feinberg (this was part of her warning lecture to me when I told her my app choices). I'm very hopeful that the med school has a much warmer and cooperative vibe, though. After all, we're aaall in this togeetther :singing:

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it's been a big factor in my not wanting to apply here for medical school! But everyone's experiences are different and like I said I have no idea what Feinberg is like first-hand, and I'm sure it also varies based on which classmates you spend your time with.

I would say just given my experiences here to make sure Feinberg has strong support for mental health because on the undergrad campus everyone is struggling and the resources available are insufficient. Several people here suffer from depression.

One of the physicians I work with went to NU for undergrad and described it pretty much the exact same way you did. Very cold and competitive environment that ultimately drove her to go somewhere other than Feinberg (this was part of her warning lecture to me when I told her my app choices). I'm very hopeful that the med school has a much warmer and cooperative vibe, though. After all, we're aaall in this togeetther :singing:

I received a special invitation on the 18th by mail to apply for being on the Minority Medical Applicant Registry (MMAR) with a waived secondary fee.

Can anyone speak for opportunities for merit scholarships at this school?

I received a special invitation on the 18th by mail to apply for being on the Minority Medical Applicant Registry (MMAR) with a waived secondary fee.

Can anyone speak for opportunities for merit scholarships at this school?
+1 to @drm5t 's question. I just applied tonight because of the waiver.

+1 to @drm5t 's question. I just applied tonight because of the waiver.

+2.

I called the diversity office. They said the letter goes out to anyone with a 3.2/28 or 504. I had already submitted my secondary, so no waiver for me. I honestly don't feel any better about my chances after talking to them. I'm not very competitive based on what they're looking for, but i guess we'll see what happens. It was definitely a good idea for you to apply, though.

+2.

I called the diversity office. They said the letter goes out to anyone with a 3.2/28 or 504. I had already submitted my secondary, so no waiver for me. I honestly don't feel any better about my chances after talking to them. I'm not very competitive based on what they're looking for, but i guess we'll see what happens. It was definitely a good idea for you to apply, though.

Did you talk to a specific person or the office in general?

Did you talk to a specific person or the office in general?

It was a lady at the diversity office, but I can't remember her name. I think you mentioned in another post that you talked to someone. Did they give you any information specifically about your application? Did you end up applying?

It was a lady at the diversity office, but I can't remember her name. I think you mentioned in another post that you talked to someone. Did they give you any information specifically about your application? Did you end up applying?

I talked to her as well, but I set up a phone appointment with the associate dean of minority affairs and talked to him specifically about my application, my weak areas and strengths of my application, in addition to other things.

I ended up applying based on our conversation, but you have a better MCAT score than I do based on your posts in this forum and you've gotten a lot of interviews so I think you have a great shot. I haven't heard a word from any schools yet.

I talked to her as well, but I set up a phone appointment with the associate dean of minority affairs and talked to him specifically about my application, my weak areas and strengths of my application, in addition to other things.

I ended up applying based on our conversation, but you have a better MCAT score than I do based on your posts in this forum and you've gotten a lot of interviews so I think you have a great shot. I haven't heard a word from any schools yet.

I wish I had thought to set up a meeting with the dean. That was a really good idea. Since I had already applied, I probably wouldn't have been able to get as much information about my application as you were able to.

Did you have any situation where you were researching schools to apply to, and you came across one where you got the impression that you have zero chances of getting an acceptance, but you apply anyways since it's a really good school and you want to go there. Well, that's how it was with this one. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Anyways, I have no doubt that you will be getting interviews soon. 70% of the schools I have applied to don't send out interview invites till mid August, so you don't have any reason to worry. Hopefully you having that conversation with the dean and applying results in an II eventually.:)

I wish I had thought to set up a meeting with the dean. That was a really good idea. Since I had already applied, I probably wouldn't have been able to get as much information about my application as you were able to.

Did you have any situation where you were researching schools to apply to, and you came across one where you got the impression that you have zero chances of getting an acceptance, but you apply anyways since it's a really good school and you want to go there. Well, that's how it was with this one. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Anyways, I have no doubt that you will be getting interviews soon. 70% of the schools I have applied to don't send out interview invites till mid August, so you don't have any reason to worry. Hopefully you having that conversation with the dean and applying results in an II eventually.:)

Literally that was my initial reasoning with Northwestern. I had researched the school and watched their videos online and read about their curriculum, but I just figured I had no shot at all. I had the same feeling with other schools as well. Then I got the email, called them and talked to the associate dean of minority affairs. I felt much better about my app afterwards and decided to give it a chance. You never know what will happen so I am trying to remain optimistic. I hope I do start hearing back from schools soon, but I am not panicking or anything. Trying to exercise patience, which is easier said than done. Luckily work has me occupied so I don't think about it too much.

Congratulations on your invites so far! I am sure you will have many more come your way.

Not a minority (socioeconomically disadvantaged), but how did you set up an appointment in an "appropriate" way (so as to not make yourself look bad)?

Person I spoke with when I called the office referred me. Keep in mind this was before the app cycle began.

Not a minority (socioeconomically disadvantaged), but how did you set up an appointment in an "appropriate" way (so as to not make yourself look bad)?
I got the letter, and called her this morning. I asked her a question about merit scholarships, and she offered to set it up. Just call and see.

Kind of a dumb question, but...
How do I access the Feinberg app status? I submitted it and stupidly forgot to bookmark the secure website, when I try to log back in from the link sent with the secondary invite (the page that asks for AAMC ID and last name), I'm not able to. Anybody have a straight link to the secure website?

Kind of a dumb question, but...
How do I access the Feinberg app status? I submitted it and stupidly forgot to bookmark the secure website, when I try to log back in from the link sent with the secondary invite (the page that asks for AAMC ID and last name), I'm not able to. Anybody have a straight link to the secure website?
Use incognito. It has to do with the cookies or something.

That first question is a doozy in 200 words. Ahh, last secondary and gonna tackle that essay in the morning. I don't know where to begin.

Also, coping skills essay? Use specific example of challenge and how I overcame it with coping skills? Or is that spinning it as a challenge essay when they aren't asking for that?

Is it okay to identify as a sexual/gender minority, but not expand upon it in the narrative description? I was kind of figuring everything out in college, so while it has caused me some emotional distress, my application doesn't really show it, and it hasn't been a major reason in my pursuit of medicine.

Is the narrative description part reserved specifically for those that want to describe why their identification will bring diversity? Or can I talk about other aspects of myself that I think will diversify Feinberg?

Is it okay to identify as a sexual/gender minority, but not expand upon it in the narrative description? I was kind of figuring everything out in college, so while it has caused me some emotional distress, my application doesn't really show it, and it hasn't been a major reason in my pursuit of medicine.

Is the narrative description part reserved specifically for those that want to describe why their identification will bring diversity? Or can I talk about other aspects of myself that I think will diversify Feinberg?
You don't owe anyone an explanation! If you are comfortable identifying and its informed your professional trajectory, great. If you're comfortable identifying and it hasn't, no problem. If you are uncomfortable identifying and don't wish to share it with adcoms, super. I believe it is a space to share a nugget of information about you, if and how you so choose to do so.

You don't owe anyone an explanation! If you are comfortable identifying and its informed your professional trajectory, great. If you're comfortable identifying and it hasn't, no problem. If you are uncomfortable identifying and don't wish to share it with adcoms, super. I believe it is a space to share a nugget of information about you, if and how you so choose to do so.

My ethnicity is largely very conservative, so at best, I think my struggles of sexual identification will allow me to relate to racial/ethnic minorities with similar conflicts of family/culture vs individuality and freedom. It just seems like people are going to question if I actually identify as such, given that I have no "track record" of service to the community. I'm still not completely confident in myself and not out of the closet, so what use my experiences will be, I'm not sure.

I appreciate the support, but I think you can also understand my concern. I wouldn't want to give adcoms any doubt or make it seem like I'm playing the "minority" card just to get some leverage.

Last edited:
My ethnicity is largely very conservative, so at best, I think my struggles of sexual identification will allow me to relate to racial/ethnic minorities with similar conflicts of family/culture vs individuality and freedom. It just seems like people are going to question if I actually identify as such, given that I have no "track record" of service to the community. I'm still not completely confident in myself and not out of the closet, so what use my experiences will me, I'm not sure.

I appreciate the support, but I think you can also understand my concern. I wouldn't want to give adcoms any doubt or make it seem like I'm playing the "minority" card just to get some leverage.

I'm in a similar situation. I went ahead and wrote a small blurb but I understand why you might feel hesitant. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.

I'm in a similar situation. I went ahead and wrote a small blurb but I understand why you might feel hesitant. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm pretty open to talking about it with strangers, just not my friends or family which is silly because my friends will obviously support me through thick and thin, no matter how I identify. Mostly a matter of judgement from people that care about me and people totally unrelated to me.

My experience was that there was a feeling of "we made it" at every medical school I interviewed at, whether it was bottom 50 or top 5. I don't know how Northwestern was historically, maybe switching to pass fail changed that.

As for merit scholarships I know there are 100% scholarships available, but that is entirely dependent on the applicant.

Just wanna throw out there that there is merit/need-based available. At first they didn't give me much but with some haggling and competing offers I'm essentially not paying tuition (I also interviewed the last day possible). Combined with cheap rent life looks good.

Also, re: diversity/minority affairs, they are really emphasizing that, so don't get down on yourself yet.

INTERVIEW INVITE!! First one this season, so excited.

Reactions: 2 users