2016-2017 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing... it's almost mid-April

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone receive any need-based aid from northwestern?

Reactions: 1 user
Placed on the alternate list. Not really sure what this means but it seems like a high priority wait list. Does anyone know if this existed in previous years and what kind of movement there was for alternate candidates?

Placed on the alternate list. Not really sure what this means but it seems like a high priority wait list. Does anyone know if this existed in previous years and what kind of movement there was for alternate candidates?

Same boat, but what makes you say high priority?

+1, not sure if mine is high priority though? My email seems pretty standard but idk

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh maybe it is pretty standard, I guess I was just trying to figure out why I wasn't put on the waitlist with the wave last week. Trying to rationalize an irrational process hahah

Does anyone else admitted in March still have no financial aid information available?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for my financial aid package. Anyone else waiting?

if we have decided on northwestern, do we need to pay a deposit or anything special by 4/30? or do we only need to withdraw our acceptances from other schools?

Contemplating calling the office, but feel like I would be bothering them. Do you think there is a chance that we may not get it until after April 30?

I will call them today or tomorrow,

If both of us call, maybe it will put some pressure on them to get it done faster ;)

if we have decided on northwestern, do we need to pay a deposit or anything special by 4/30? or do we only need to withdraw our acceptances from other schools?

NW doesn't require a deposit. I believe you just need to withdraw acceptances from other schools.

Last edited:
Contemplating calling the office, but feel like I would be bothering them. Do you think there is a chance that we may not get it until after April 30?
This is a good question. The financial aid office said that awards would be released on a rolling basis beginning on March 15, as long as we submit the Northwestern-specific financial aid application by March 1 and create a CAESAR account. I wonder what is causing the delay and will call tomorrow.

I will call them today or tomorrow,

If both of us call, maybe it will put some pressure on them to get it done faster ;)
+3
I feel bad, but it's so close to April 30... and we don't know if the delay is system-wide or applicant-specific

+3
I feel bad, but it's so close to April 30... and we don't know if the delay is system-wide or applicant-specific

I called yesterday and they said to expect something within the next few days. For perspective, I submitted my financial documents about 1.5 weeks ago. So, they are working pretty fast but they just have so many apps to get through :/

I called yesterday and they said to expect something within the next few days. For perspective, I submitted my financial documents about 1.5 weeks ago. So, they are working pretty fast but they just have so many apps to get through :/
Thanks for passing that along!
I actually submitted my documents in February, so I bet that they are releasing financial aid information in one batch.

Thanks for passing that along!
I actually submitted my documents in February, so I bet that they are releasing financial aid information in one batch.

I actually got my email today!

anyone know when waitlist movement starts?

Tough decision but withdrew recently. Wishing all the best to people on the waitlist!

For people still deciding, I called the office earlier and the commit deadline for Feinberg is tomorrow, 5/1 (even though the website says 4/30). Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone else not access their financial aid award anymore? Wondering if maybe they are redistributing scholarships in light of withdrawals already :O

TossMania- Is it Merit or need based? If need based what was your EFC and if Merit what were your stats.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I'm getting a lot of PM's about checking the NW email address. The most common error everyone is making is trying to go through gmail. That's only for NW undergrads. Everyone else uses the Outlook client, I believe NW calls it "Collaborate."
Congrats TossMania- Is it Merit or need based? If need based what was your EFC and if Merit what were your stats.

TossMania- Is it Merit or need based? If need based what was your EFC and if Merit what were your stats.

i didnt get admitted, but from what i have heard, its a combination of need and merit based. max need is about 26k and max merit based is a full tuition scholarship

Withdrawing my acceptance here so at least one more spot will definitely be opening up for those on the waitlist! (Just in time too because I was just about to sign a lease in Chicago...)

Hi really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I am applying here in the 2017-2018 cycle and I was hoping to get some advice from those who have already applied.

I just had a question regarding their LOR policy. They say on their website:

...they may come from three faculty members, at least two of whom are science faculty members, who have taught you.

So the way I interpreted that was that all three should come from faculty who have taught you. However, I called them and they said I can substitute one of those for a letter from my research PI, but the lady didn't sound too sure. So does anyone know if sending 2 letters from science faculty members who taught me + 1 letter from my PI would be okay? I feel like my letter from my PI is my strongest so I would like to send it, but I also don't want them to throw my app in the trash automatically because I couldn't follow instructions.

Hi really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I am applying here in the 2017-2018 cycle and I was hoping to get some advice from those who have already applied.

I just had a question regarding their LOR policy. They say on their website:

...they may come from three faculty members, at least two of whom are science faculty members, who have taught you.

So the way I interpreted that was that all three should come from faculty who have taught you. However, I called them and they said I can substitute one of those for a letter from my research PI, but the lady didn't sound too sure. So does anyone know if sending 2 letters from science faculty members who taught me + 1 letter from my PI would be okay? I feel like my letter from my PI is my strongest so I would like to send it, but I also don't want them to throw my app in the trash automatically because I couldn't follow instructions.

I certainly wondered this as well when I was applying. I would assume that a committee made up of reasonable people would not throw out your application because you substituted a letter from a PI with whom you conducted scientific research and who probably knows you very well for a letter from a science professor who has actually taught you but you actually may not have as close a relationship with. However when I applied I made sure I followed these specific rules in terms of LORs just to be on the safe side. What I actually did was just sent 5 letters to all schools which included 2 from research PIs, 2 from science faculty, and 1 from non-science faculty regardless of how many they asked for to be sure I was covering all my bases for these LOR guidelines. I may have even sent 5 to schools that specified not to send more than 3 but don't think I was penalized so maybe that also helps to answer your question as far as how strict they are about these things.

I sent 1 faculty, 1 clinical work supervisor and 1 MD and was interviewed/accepted. But I'm technically nontrad (2 years post graduation) so your experience may differ.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

^ I also was admitted using 1 letter from research-for-credits PI, 1 letter from employment (still written by a PhD faculty member that was my boss), and 1 letter from a prof that taught me in some classes. Using research PI is 100% fine!

I know very well for a fact that you SHOULD have 2 letters from science faculty AND a letter from your current PI. NU is by far a research powerhouse (and stat powerhouse) so they really value any input your PI will have. I would have 2 letters from science faculty just in case too.

" describe your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution"
what should i be talking about here? that i like hands-on learning and what else? I'm stuck! thank you

" describe your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution"
what should i be talking about here? that i like hands-on learning and what else? I'm stuck! thank you
Two things I can think of right away: why group/team learning is the right style for you, and highlighting how scholarly project component appeals to you.