Deciding - Smith or Creighton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luvdogs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never used a forum, but need advice in the college selection process. My daughter's long-term goal is to pursue a career in the medical field. Short-term, she wants to attend a small college where she can take advantage of leadership and community service opportunities. She was admitted to Creighton in Omaha, NE (small Catholic University that is well-known in the Midwest) and visited . .. did not like the location but liked the campus feel -- friendly students, dedicated pre-med faculty, supportive environment -- and was accepted into a leadership program with 60 other freshman. Creighton has several professional schools and gives undergrads a preference. It is strong in the health sciences and offers many options in the medical field. Last week, she was offered admission to Smith in Northampton, MA off the wait list. Smith has decent science program, but I am not sure if it is as supportive as Creighton in terms of pre-med advising. Smith has better living conditions, location, overall reputation and exposure to a more diverse population. However, Creighton is a good choice because it is affiliated with a medical school and has ties with other Jesuit universities that also have medical programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have never used a forum, but need advice in the college selection process. My daughter's long-term goal is to pursue a career in the medical field. Short-term, she wants to attend a small college where she can take advantage of leadership and community service opportunities. She was admitted to Creighton in Omaha, NE (small Catholic University that is well-known in the Midwest) and visited . .. did not like the location but liked the campus feel -- friendly students, dedicated pre-med faculty, supportive environment -- and was accepted into a leadership program with 60 other freshman. Creighton has several professional schools and gives undergrads a preference. It is strong in the health sciences and offers many options in the medical field. Last week, she was offered admission to Smith in Northampton, MA off the wait list. Smith has decent science program, but I am not sure if it is as supportive as Creighton in terms of pre-med advising. Smith has better living conditions, location, overall reputation and exposure to a more diverse population. However, Creighton is a good choice because it is affiliated with a medical school and has ties with other Jesuit universities that also have medical programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

This is actually the subsection for college students wondering about which medical school to attend. The better forum for answers to these types of questions would be hSDN

Hello! I actually went to Smith as a freshman (I ended up transferring to UCLA because of family stuff and UCLA is closer to home--so good school, bad timing). Northampton is a pretty quirky little town, lots of fun places to explore, some good food, and a nice small town feel. The living conditions at Smith are EXCELLENT! Huge dorm, bay window, hard wood floors--and they have recently re-done many of the houses. The food is eh, but I'm sure that goes with most schools. In terms of science/pre-med support, I actually used the pre-med advisor at Smith to help me fill out my AMCAS because UCLA is completely useless when it comes to advising on those manners. The science classes are nice because they are really small and professors are really easy to get a hold of, also the laboratory facilities are great--lots of space and TA's don't teach the lab sections. Smith doesn't have some of the more specific majors (I ended up majoring in physiology at UCLA) because it is a smaller school, but that being said, your daughter could take classes at any of the 5 colleges. I took a class at UMass and it was a great class--food science, really easy and really informative. Its not the most fun thing to ride the bus in the snow over to UMass or Amherst, but it is nice to have those options. I don't know much about tutoring or outside help as I never sought it, but if you want more information, I can dig around with some of my friends. Also, after leaving Smith for UCLA I am still very, very close with my friends from Smith and will be for years to come. If you want any more information or have specific questions don't hesitate to send me a personal message :).

Status
Not open for further replies.