2018-2019 Creighton University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Jesuits have responded!!!! OMG

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Does anyone know if the committee will be meeting any other days in the near future?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! This might be a dumb question, but is there a Commit to Enroll deadline for Creighton? I can't find it anywhere.

ETA: For 2019, it's July 10.

Last edited:
Anybody else have "A decision has been made on your application..." removed from their portal this morning?

Just got a call - been accepted off the waitlist! Good luck to the others that are waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrawing my acceptance here, hope one of you get it!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been in contact with admissions or know if the class is full?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping one of the current students (or someone who is knowledgable) might be able to help answer a few Q's.

@McNerdy
@DoctorDragon22

1) Are we required to purchase equipment (e.g. stethoscope, otoscope... etc) prior to arriving at Creighton.... or will this be covered during orientation? I don't recall getting an email about the matter.

2) I know that we will be receiving a MacBook Pro - Is it worth investing in an iPad/stylus for notetaking?

3) How essential is it to have a car for M1? I'm coming from the northeast and have a 2003 Honda accord with 250k miles. I love Lilly, but not sure she is cut out for a 21-hour road trip. :rofl:

4) What % of students receive a high pass, pass, versus unsatisfactory?

Hoping one of the current students (or someone who is knowledgable) might be able to help answer a few Q's.

@McNerdy
@DoctorDragon22

1) Are we required to purchase equipment (e.g. stethoscope, otoscope... etc) prior to arriving at Creighton.... or will this be covered during orientation? I don't recall getting an email about the matter.

2) I know that we will be receiving a MacBook Pro - Is it worth investing in an iPad/stylus for notetaking?

3) How essential is it to have a car for M1? I'm coming from the northeast and have a 2003 Honda accord with 250k miles. I love Lilly, but not sure she is cut out for a 21-hour road trip. :rofl:

4) What % of students receive a high pass, pass, versus unsatisfactory?

So 1. We received a Stethoscope during orientation. It was a middle of the road Littmann. We did NOT receive a otoscope, which I guess is because every facility you will use already has an otoscope in room? Not sure but you get a stethescope which while not a mastercardiology model, is perfectly fine for our education level.

2. This entirely depends on you and how you study. I personally Invested in both an Ipad+stylus as well as a dual monitor set up I can plug my mac into. I'm someone who hates paper anything. So I have digital all books/ keep digital notes. With that being said the ipad is great for annotating notes/ First aid or whatever and I love the dual monitor because If I'm home, I always have FA/ notes open in addition to other things without having to flip back and forth.

3. I'd say pretty essential simply for food. Creighton is in a quazi-food desert (meaning you have to drive like 5-10 minutes to a grocery). Our bus system doesn't seem to be good, but I really wouldn't know. I just know no one uses it. There are apartments you can live at basically on campus (ATLAS) but even with this you'd probably want a car to drive to supermarkets or driving in winter. Alternative is to accept a $10 uber ride there and back every so often or utilize the SHIPT apt to have groceries delivered.

4. So Ya'll get a new curriculum and I can't say if they're changing grading or not. For us during M1/M2, the top 10% of the class would get honors. Anyone who gets above 70% gets a pass. if you fall below 70%, they let you try to retake final to a passing score if its possible if not they make you remediate the course. For M3/M4 there is not percentile cut off, so Honors varies by rotation and such. Honors can be anywhere from 10% to over 30% of the class honoring a specific course.

Let me know if you got any other Q's and congrats to everyone who will be joining our Creighton fam.

Reactions: 2 users
So 1. We received a Stethoscope during orientation. It was a middle of the road Littmann. We did NOT receive a otoscope, which I guess is because every facility you will use already has an otoscope in room? Not sure but you get a stethescope which while not a mastercardiology model, is perfectly fine for our education level.

2. This entirely depends on you and how you study. I personally Invested in both an Ipad+stylus as well as a dual monitor set up I can plug my mac into. I'm someone who hates paper anything. So I have digital all books/ keep digital notes. With that being said the ipad is great for annotating notes/ First aid or whatever and I love the dual monitor because If I'm home, I always have FA/ notes open in addition to other things without having to flip back and forth.

3. I'd say pretty essential simply for food. Creighton is in a quazi-food desert (meaning you have to drive like 5-10 minutes to a grocery). Our bus system doesn't seem to be good, but I really wouldn't know. I just know no one uses it. There are apartments you can live at basically on campus (ATLAS) but even with this you'd probably want a car to drive to supermarkets or driving in winter. Alternative is to accept a $10 uber ride there and back every so often or utilize the SHIPT apt to have groceries delivered.

4. So Ya'll get a new curriculum and I can't say if they're changing grading or not. For us during M1/M2, the top 10% of the class would get honors. Anyone who gets above 70% gets a pass. if you fall below 70%, they let you try to retake final to a passing score if its possible if not they make you remediate the course. For M3/M4 there is not percentile cut off, so Honors varies by rotation and such. Honors can be anywhere from 10% to over 30% of the class honoring a specific course.

Let me know if you got any other Q's and congrats to everyone who will be joining our Creighton fam.

Slightly unrelated but would you know if getting off of the waitlist is a long shot at this point?

Slightly unrelated but would you know if getting off of the waitlist is a long shot at this point?

Honestly I have no idea. Did my class have people who got in off the waitlist after May? Yes. Will it happen again? Who knows. This is a question for the admissions committee. I'd send updates if you havent already or even call the admissions peeps to let them know you're interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Just commenting that a friend of mine got off the waitlist on Friday.

Edit: Friday was 3 days ago

Last edited:

Couple questions:

So for those of us planning on coming without a car, how do current students without a car get food/groceries? Is it reasonable to get a dining commons meal plan at Creighton University, if offered? It sounds like it would be tough to get groceries without a car and I'm wondering what students without a car do for meals.

How often are we exammed/quizzed? Is it just a final at the end of every block or will we have quizzes in between?

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off the waitlist today! Keeping my fingers crossed for anyone still waiting for a call!!

Couple questions:

So for those of us planning on coming without a car, how do current students without a car get food/groceries? Is it reasonable to get a dining commons meal plan at Creighton University, if offered? It sounds like it would be tough to get groceries without a car and I'm wondering what students without a car do for meals.

How often are we exammed/quizzed? Is it just a final at the end of every block or will we have quizzes in between?

Can't comment on what students without cars do. There is Shipt app and Hyvee delivery that you can pay for groceries to be delivered. If you live downtown there is a farmers market (i think weekly but this varies based on season and such).

I personally don't know any of my classmates who regularly eat at the dining hall, although it is possible to do. I just couldn't imagine living in an apartment off campus and having to go to campus every day to eat.

I can't stress this enough, I'd buy a car. Buy an old POS if you have to because you will be severely at a disadvantage without it. Even if you live at ATLAS (as close to oncampus as you get) you're talking about walking to school in the snow everyday.

Furthermore, the vast majority of clinical experiences are not on campus. Our main hospital is about 7 miles away from campus. We have other hospitals that you may have to rotate through that are likewise as far or farther. You may be safe not having a car for a year or 2 (depending on how the longitudinal program gets incorporated into the new curriculum) but you will need a car for 3rd and 4th year, unless you just plan to mooch a ride every day or pay $30-40 a day in ubers. One of my classmates was unlucky in that they didn't have access to a car and were paired with one of the farther longitudinal clinic experiences. So he had to pay like $40 a day in ubers. fortunately that was only once every 2 weeks but you can see how this can become problematic.

You inherit a new curriculum so it will likely be different. In general, Our systems curriculum would consist of 1-2 quizzes. 1-3 TBL's and 1 final. with the Final usually being like 65-75% of the course grade. Since the new curriculum is mainly systems based, I'd imagine it be similar. Sometimes you get labs thrown in for clinical understanding and stuff. We had a pulmonary function test lab, ekg lab, fundoscopic exam lab, etc.
For example our Pulmonary system was 2 quizzes, 2 TBL, a pulmonary function lab, and a final worth 70% of the course's grade.

Thanks to all the current students for their help answering questions - its been really helpful! I do have two more question:

1) Can anyone speak to the similarity of the exams to Step style questions/are the class exams NBME exams?

2) Do current students find it helpful to attend/watch lecture or do you just study Step material and use that knowledge to take class exams?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to all the current students for their help answering questions - its been really helpful! I do have two more question:

1) Can anyone speak to the similarity of the exams to Step style questions/are the class exams NBME exams?

2) Do current students find it helpful to attend/watch lecture or do you just study Step material and use that knowledge to take class exams?

Thanks in advance!

1. The majority of our quizzes and exams are professor written. We do have several courses for which we take NBME exams in place of our final (we did this for pulmonary). Some of our courses, while professor written, have professors that seek out board review resources and attempt to correspond lectures and such to board materials (Notably one of our heme onc professor would routinely relate lecture info to Board and Beyond, Pathoma, FA). They attempt to make all of our exams NBME vignette style questions but it varies based on professor. We do use NBME timing for our exams though.

2. I think you will find that it depends on the course and on the person. As stated above, some courses correspond extremely well to NBME topics/high yield resources. So just killing pathoma could net you 90%+. In other classes theres much more professor specific material so knowing lectures would be necessary for 10-30% of the exams.

Class lectures do have the fault of 1. not being written explicitly for boards and 2. being at the discretion of the physician/professor lecturing. Several professors focus on high-yield generalized info, others are very nit-picky. One example I think of off the top of my head is our oncology professor. Dude is a genius, but teaches a farther scope of oncology and oncologic therapeutics than is covered in First aid or sketchy pharm. Could you try to slide by not watching his lectures? possibly, but those extra drugs are 100% fair game.

A few more examples are that we get lectures on things like burn treatment, traumatic injuries (gunshots and stabbings), poisonings, etc. These are things that aren't covered by FA so not watching lectures at all will kinda gaurantee you miss something.

I personally found it more useful to Learn via B&B/ Pathoma and an anki deck. Than binge lectures to reinforce/ beable to catch the nitty gritty material.

Hopefully this helps!

1. The majority of our quizzes and exams are professor written. We do have several courses for which we take NBME exams in place of our final (we did this for pulmonary). Some of our courses, while professor written, have professors that seek out board review resources and attempt to correspond lectures and such to board materials (Notably one of our heme onc professor would routinely relate lecture info to Board and Beyond, Pathoma, FA). They attempt to make all of our exams NBME vignette style questions but it varies based on professor. We do use NBME timing for our exams though.

2. I think you will find that it depends on the course and on the person. As stated above, some courses correspond extremely well to NBME topics/high yield resources. So just killing pathoma could net you 90%+. In other classes theres much more professor specific material so knowing lectures would be necessary for 10-30% of the exams.

Class lectures do have the fault of 1. not being written explicitly for boards and 2. being at the discretion of the physician/professor lecturing. Several professors focus on high-yield generalized info, others are very nit-picky. One example I think of off the top of my head is our oncology professor. Dude is a genius, but teaches a farther scope of oncology and oncologic therapeutics than is covered in First aid or sketchy pharm. Could you try to slide by not watching his lectures? possibly, but those extra drugs are 100% fair game.

A few more examples are that we get lectures on things like burn treatment, traumatic injuries (gunshots and stabbings), poisonings, etc. These are things that aren't covered by FA so not watching lectures at all will kinda gaurantee you miss something.

I personally found it more useful to Learn via B&B/ Pathoma and an anki deck. Than binge lectures to reinforce/ beable to catch the nitty gritty material.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks for your replies!

Do we get time to prepare for Step 1? How do students typically do on Step 1?

For anyone on the waitlist, I emailed and they said the class is currently full but they do expect some waitlist movement until early July. Hopefully this helps!

Thanks for your replies!

Do we get time to prepare for Step 1? How do students typically do on Step 1?

I believe at least 5 weeks of dedicated step 1 time - depends on when your test is scheduled.

Not entirely sure how Creighton students have recently performed on step 1... Hopefully, a current student can comment on this. In prior threads (and I think I saw it on prior USNW data), Creighton was slightly below the national avg at around 227-228? I could be wrong but I think that's what I saw.

Does Creighton help fund Step 1 materials (e.g. UWorld, Pathoma, Sketchy Med, NBME exams, etc.). If so, what kind of contributions? Trying to budget lol.

Hey everyone,

So Step 1. Our average is right at/ maybe 1-2 points below average. From when we were shown previous years data, it seemed as though we have more people at the poles and fewer people in the middle creating a flatter distribution rather than a bell curve.

With this being said, I think a lot of our step performance, whether here or at another school, is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Alot of students in our class are interested in primary care specialties and thus realize they don't need 240+ step scores. This is kinda of exacerbated by the fact that many students want to match in the Midwest which is also slightly less competitive. Other people who want to do competitive things, usually apply themselves more and achieve a better score.

I'd exemplify this by 2 students. Both performed about the same level throughout the first 2 years. 1 wanted dermatology 1 wanted pediatrics. dermatology person scored 260+, pediatrics person scored 215ish Both were happy. It's not that I think the person who scored the 210's was less intelligent or a poor test taker, but people have different goals and sometimes those goals will manifest into different test scores. To some entering less competitive fields, they aren't going to kill themselves studying 14 hours a day for step because a 210 can get you into peds just as easy as a 240. Those who want to go into a competitive specialty often prepare themselves better because they need to do better.

Hopefully that made sense, just trying to add context to our step performance so when people see that our average is well average, they realize we have plenty of students hitting 240+ and matching into a competitive specialty of their choice.

This year we ended classes / took our basic science shelf around may 5th. M3 year starts June 26th. So you can technically take it any point in that time frame. While you can take the test anywhere and at any time, Creighton reserves dates at the Omaha testing facility from May 31st-June 21st. So depending on when you feel ready/ if you want a few weeks of summer vacation or not, you can take the test earlier or later.

We are NOT provided any study resources by the school other than Firecracker (hopefully that changes as my understanding is firecracker was a bit of a mess since their acquisition). Our school does pay for all of us to take the basic science shelf at end of semester as a sort of free practice test but otherwise most students purchase Qbanks/ practice tests on their own. Qbanks costs between 2-400 each, practice NBME's are about 60 a pop, Step 1 itself costs about $600 i think.

I personally used Boards and Beyond, Sketchy Pharm/Micro, Pathoma, and to a lesser extent AMBOSS throughout the year and highly recommend these + a corresponding anki deck (Zanki and Lightyear are the current hot ones). I think most of my class utilized these extra resources. We did organize group purchases to make the cost slightly cheaper but these were organized by students.

Most students (everyone i think) also purchased a Uworld Q bank subscription to do during dedicated (our month between end of semester and the exam. This also comes with 2 practice tests. I also purchased NBME practice exams to take for practice and to monitor my study progress/ performance.

Hopefully this answers yalls questions. let me know if I didn't address something or if there is something else ya'll wanna know.

Go Jays!

Currently waitilisted. My "decision has been made on your application" notification disappeared from my portal between 2-5 today EST.... does this mean anything or am i getting myself all excited over nothing ?!
I didn’t notice anything on my portal but I was accepted today off the waitlist! Will be attending. First MD acceptance of the cycle. So grateful and blessed.

Can anyone speak to the new curriculum/ longitudinal component? It has been awhile since my interview(October)

Can anyone speak to the new curriculum/ longitudinal component? It has been awhile since my interview(October)

I suggest you reach out to admissions to provide you with most up to date info. I will tell what I personally know/have been told as a current student. I could be wrong as things certainly may change/have been different from what we were told.

You start systems in first semester. I believe you begin with biochem/molecular biology/genetics in a 1-2 month course. After this you will begin systems. Your anatomy course will be incorporated into the system and you will learn the anatomy with respect for the system. From what I remember I think Musculoskeletal/dermatology is first (I can totally be wrong) so you'd learn basics of skin histology and skeletal anatomy. than start to progress through each system learning the anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology, pharmacology etc for each system.

The knew curriculum has some sort of track component built in. How this will manifest is something idk. They gave us the examples of everyone has to do things like medical ethics and humanities, clinical experiences/skill prep, and basic foundational science (researchish) but based on your track you will have to do more of one then the other.

As far as your longitudinal clinic goes, I will speak on what we have as M2's and how it might manifest. Currently, we learned physical exam techniques both during M1 and again throughout the systems as they became pertinent (ex:heart sounds during cardio) During M2 we were assigned a 4 hour shift with a primary care (IM, Family, OBGYN) once every 2 weeks. I imagine you may have a similar type of experience where you will have to learn physical exam skills earlier in your education, followed by a regular primary care shadowing experience. I believe we were told you would have the ability to increase your clinic time depending on the track you chose however none of that was set in stone.

My understanding is that your semesters will somewhat resemble what our systems were like as M2's. This would mean that in general you have lecture between 8-12. once a week you will have a 2 hour small group case based learning experience (i.e. work through the case of a patient with a disease that corresponds to the unit ex. stroke during neuro, crohns during GI, etc.) followed by a team based learning experience (mini quiz taken seperately than again together in your group) either the same day after the CBL or the following day. I'm not sure how your anatomy /ethics will be set up other than its incorporated into the system.

Afternoons are in general free to study independently (i.e. hit up Pathoma, anki, Board and Beyond, sketchy, AMBOSS, or whatever the new hottest study resource is).

Sorry for the uncertainty/ambiguity. Truth is they've been working on this alot and while we were provided with broad strokes to be able to talk about it during interviews/experience with interviewees, I have no idea what the actual curriculum will look like 100%. Perhaps some of your fellow future M1's will know better.

I suggest you reach out to admissions to provide you with most up to date info. I will tell what I personally know/have been told as a current student. I could be wrong as things certainly may change/have been different from what we were told.

You start systems in first semester. I believe you begin with biochem/molecular biology/genetics in a 1-2 month course. After this you will begin systems. Your anatomy course will be incorporated into the system and you will learn the anatomy with respect for the system. From what I remember I think Musculoskeletal/dermatology is first (I can totally be wrong) so you'd learn basics of skin histology and skeletal anatomy. than start to progress through each system learning the anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology, pharmacology etc for each system.

The knew curriculum has some sort of track component built in. How this will manifest is something idk. They gave us the examples of everyone has to do things like medical ethics and humanities, clinical experiences/skill prep, and basic foundational science (researchish) but based on your track you will have to do more of one then the other.

As far as your longitudinal clinic goes, I will speak on what we have as M2's and how it might manifest. Currently, we learned physical exam techniques both during M1 and again throughout the systems as they became pertinent (ex:heart sounds during cardio) During M2 we were assigned a 4 hour shift with a primary care (IM, Family, OBGYN) once every 2 weeks. I imagine you may have a similar type of experience where you will have to learn physical exam skills earlier in your education, followed by a regular primary care shadowing experience. I believe we were told you would have the ability to increase your clinic time depending on the track you chose however none of that was set in stone.

My understanding is that your semesters will somewhat resemble what our systems were like as M2's. This would mean that in general you have lecture between 8-12. once a week you will have a 2 hour small group case based learning experience (i.e. work through the case of a patient with a disease that corresponds to the unit ex. stroke during neuro, crohns during GI, etc.) followed by a team based learning experience (mini quiz taken seperately than again together in your group) either the same day after the CBL or the following day. I'm not sure how your anatomy /ethics will be set up other than its incorporated into the system.

Afternoons are in general free to study independently (i.e. hit up Pathoma, anki, Board and Beyond, sketchy, AMBOSS, or whatever the new hottest study resource is).

Sorry for the uncertainty/ambiguity. Truth is they've been working on this alot and while we were provided with broad strokes to be able to talk about it during interviews/experience with interviewees, I have no idea what the actual curriculum will look like 100%. Perhaps some of your fellow future M1's will know better.

There was an example schedule for M1's during the second look day. The breakdown was 8-10 hours of didactic/week, 4 hours/week anatomy, 2-4 hours/week CBL, 2-4 hours/week TBL, 8 hours/week for clinical skills, and 2 hours/week dedicated to you track. There is "self-study time" on Monday and Friday afternoons, as well as Tuesday morning.

Systems start with foundational science, then immunology/blood/lymphoreticular, integumentary/musculoskeletal/H+N, neuroscience, neuropsych, cardio, and lastly... pulm.

Is this significantly different from what current students have? What are TBL sessions like?

There was an example schedule for M1's during the second look day. The breakdown was 8-10 hours of didactic/week, 4 hours/week anatomy, 2-4 hours/week CBL, 2-4 hours/week TBL, 8 hours/week for clinical skills, and 2 hours/week dedicated to you track. There is "self-study time" on Monday and Friday afternoons, as well as Tuesday morning.

Systems start with foundational science, then immunology/blood/lymphoreticular, integumentary/musculoskeletal/H+N, neuroscience, neuropsych, cardio, and lastly... pulm.

Is this significantly different from what current students have? What are TBL sessions like?

It will be different simply because our schedule was different. We did anatomy, ethics, and MCB (foundational science) throughout our first fall semester. Thus we didn't have any anatomy labs during systems. Our first system was Neuro, we did MSK/Integ in like Feb/March of M2 year. so things are def a bit different but honestly your curriculum makes more sense. Get basic biological knowledge. Heme/onc is largely non-physiological/anatomical and is instead immunology/genetics based. Then you go integ/skeletal (basics of anatomy) Neuroscience is good next cause youll learn brain anatomy/nerves and autonomic nervous system. This is good to have before Cardio/pulm because you need to understand autonomic nervous system to understand alpha/beta blockers/agonists which are key drugs in cardio/pulm. We took Psychiatry like 6 month after Neuro which was incredibly dumb in my opinion. Having psych right after neuro is ideal given you will have neuropathways (i.e. dopamine, serotonin, etc) in your mind which are what psych drugs are based on.
So I think that design/flow will be awesome hella jealous

We don't have tracks.

The "clinical skills" has changed in evolved. Us M2's had "M4 team learning" i.e. one every 2 weeks we met with M4's who taught us every aspect of the physical exam, throughout M1. Then we started Neuro in Spring and that began our first part of clinical skills specific to our organ systems. Throughout the past year we'd do maybe 1-2 hours of clinical skills per system, 8 hours a month of longitudinal clinic. The rest was extracurricular so meeting up for outside stuff at simulation center or whatever.

So TBL is a 5 question quiz regarding topics covered by our CBL (case work) the day before. You will complete the 5 questions independently, then when everyone is finished, you will answer them in your CBL group of like 8-10 students. You are free to talk about discuss, etc. The grades are combined something like 40% independent 60% group answers. Overall they are usually only a few percent of your grade but they make you discuss relatively high yield topics.

I have not heard of the tracks at Creighton. Does anyone have more information about this?

Just been accepted off of the waitlist! First MD acceptance. I am so unbelievably happy. Will be attending!

Just been accepted off of the waitlist! First MD acceptance. I am so unbelievably happy. Will be attending!
Be sure to get your email going ASAP. There are some events coming up ir the orientation retreat that you need to sign up by the end of today if you want to go.

Be sure to get your email going ASAP. There are some events coming up ir the orientation retreat that you need to sign up by the end of today if you want to go.

I’m hoping they’ll give me an extra couple of days as I’ve only just gotten the acceptance, but I will speak to admissions tomorrow. But thank you for letting me know!