2020-2021 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Creighton University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the website, it seems you can apply for either one or both! We won't know until secondaries come out though - the website says we have that option when filling those out.

Ah sweet, I’ll be applying to both then!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So shadowing primary care is a requirement? Does anyone know if we can do this after we have submitted primaries/secondaries? Is this a hard requirement?

So shadowing primary care is a requirement? Does anyone know if we can do this after we have submitted primaries/secondaries? Is this a hard requirement?
Generally at Creighton, if you get accepted they will tell you what you are missing and you will have to complete it before matriculating whether that be the physiology requirement, shadowing, wanting more community service etc.

Does primary care include hospital-based internal medicine?

From the website, it seems you can apply for either one or both! We won't know until secondaries come out though - the website says we have that option when filling those out.

I talked to a representative that said on the secondary you will specify one campus!

I talked to a representative that said on the secondary you will specify one campus!
So we can only choose one? Do you think acceptance rates will be similar for both?

So we can only choose one? Do you think acceptance rates will be similar for both?
She said something about the school only having one accreditation for the two campuses so the total combined class size will be around 230 matriculants! But she didn't mention the acceptance rate since they aren't sure what is happening this year and how many total people will apply. They did say they would be doing online interviews and then they expect to do online lectures the first year due to COVID.

She said something about the school only having one accreditation for the two campuses so the total combined class size will be around 230 matriculants! But she didn't mention the acceptance rate since they aren't sure what is happening this year and how many total people will apply. They did say they would be doing online interviews and then they expect to do online lectures the first year due to COVID.
Yea I contacted them and they said on the secondary we can list a preference for campus but we’ll be considered for both

Yea I contacted them and they said on the secondary we can list a preference for campus but we’ll be considered for both
Oh crap, I do NOT want to live in Arizona. I'm having horrible visions of my only acceptance being from their AZ campus. I'd be forced to decline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything wrong with AZ?
The most pressing issue is that my husband would not agree to live there. The second most pressing issue is that I don't find AZ particularly family-friendly (I have first-hand experience with this in my family of origin--I didn't live there, but the rest of my family moved there after I went to college) and I have three kids of my own to consider.
If you got in AZ, and I got in Omaha, we can switch. I do *not* want to live in Nebraska. My whole life is in Phoenix!
DEAL! haha

Hey Everyone!
I'm a M4 at Creighton (omaha campus).
Although this application cycle will certainly be interesting, both with COVID environment as well as changes in actual schooling with a firm differentiation of Phoenix and Omaha Campuses for the first time, Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about Creighton and I will try to answer them in a honest/Non-BS manner to help you all make the right choice for your own medical education.

Best of luck ya'll!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Everyone!
Although this application cycle will certainly be interesting, both with COVID environment as well as changes in actual schooling with a firm differentiation of Phoenix and Omaha Campuses for the first time, Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about Creighton and I will try to answer them in a honest/Non-BS manner to help you all make the right choice for your own medical education.

Best of luck ya'll!

is creighton going to have a secondary question about how we used our time wisely during covid? also, how do we prove that we tried to do something? like yeah med schools understand that the economy is terrible and hospitals don't let people volunteer but are they just going to believe us if we say we tried to volunteer at UNMC or applied for a job at CHI?

is creighton going to have a secondary question about how we used our time wisely during covid? also, how do we prove that we tried to do something? like yeah med schools understand that the economy is terrible and hospitals don't let people volunteer but are they just going to believe us if we say we tried to volunteer at UNMC or applied for a job at CHI?
Do you think they expect us to be volunteering during the pandemic? I find that to be unfair especially for people in Florida, Texas, ect. Also, many people have high risk family members

Do you think they expect us to be volunteering during the pandemic? I find that to be unfair especially for people in Florida, Texas, ect. Also, many people have high risk family members
i think it's case dependent - like i certainly don't have anyone in my family at risk but as long as you can explain that someone you're living with is immuno compromised and that you can't volunteer they'll understand that

but my question is that i'm healthy, my entire family is healthy, none of us have any underlying conditions, how do i tell med schools that i used my time wisely besides saying i studied for finals and retook the mcat?

i think it's case dependent - like i certainly don't have anyone in my family at risk but as long as you can explain that someone you're living with is immuno compromised and that you can't volunteer they'll understand that

but my question is that i'm healthy, my entire family is healthy, none of us have any underlying conditions, how do i tell med schools that i used my time wisely besides saying i studied for finals and retook the mcat?

Okay so was this released as question on the secondary?
Otherwise
1. I do not know what the secondary questions are/will be. I believe they've been stable/the same questions in recent years and would expect this year to be the same.

2. Assuming there isn't a direct question about it, I DON'T think anyone "expects you" to volunteer during COVID-19. I DO think including COVID volunteering will be looked upon favorably. It's a complicated issue and is likely case dependent as mentioned above. How can anyone blame someone who has risk factors or lives with a family member that has risk factors? With that being said, There is certainly a great need for service efforts in many communities right now. You certainly may be asked about this during interviews though as those questions are largely determined by your individual interviewer. Just be honest. If you were studying for MCAT you were studying for MCAT. Frankly just a simple "spending time with family prior to medical school" is likely a perfectly fine answer. I wouldn't say "I spent the summer playing a lot of call of duty War Zone" I imagine medical schools will likely look at community service during COVID favorably, but its not a red flag or a negative if you didn't/weren't able to volunteer.

If you are really concerned about your lack of service during COVID, you can try to do things like sewing masks and donating to local shelters or retirement homes or something.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how strict Creighton is with the physiology requirement? I took a 2 unit Physiology, Nutrition, and Aging class but not sure if that counts lol. totally did not realize that was a requirement but now Im thinking of just not bothering with the secondary if it comes in

Does anyone know how strict Creighton is with the physiology requirement? I took a 2 unit Physiology, Nutrition, and Aging class but not sure if that counts lol. totally did not realize that was a requirement but now Im thinking of just not bothering with the secondary if it comes in

I know they will still consider you without it you’d just have to take it before you matriculate. I’d reach out to admissions to see if they’d count the class you took as fulfilling the requirement

I know they will still consider you without it you’d just have to take it before you matriculate. I’d reach out to admissions to see if they’d count the class you took as fulfilling the requirement
thank yoU!!!

Reactions: 1 user

As stated above, typically students are admitted conditionally without this requirement being met at application. This applies to non-traditional students who may have graduated years prior in which case my understanding is they give you several options of online courses to complete prior to matriculation.
As for the nutrition/physiology course, I'd email admissions with syllabi of the courses and see if your course objectives are sufficient to meet the requirement.

For listing volunteer, are you guys keeping it short and just roles? Don't see the need for writing too much

Same as last year, anyone else having trouble where your essay answers disappear so you cant submit?

Same as last year, anyone else having trouble where your essay answers disappear so you cant submit?
It said in the email to copy from word and paste into your computer's notepad, and then copy and paste from that into the application.

It said in the email to copy from word and paste into your computer's notepad, and then copy and paste from that into the application.
Yea tried that and it still did not work. Were they referring to Microsoft notepad?

Can anyone chime in the differences between the programs in Phoenix and Omaha? Arizona is closer to home, but it's a new campus so I'm not sure how to go about picking one campus.

Hey Everyone!

Best of luck ya'll!

Hi! I wanted to ask if Creighton is more community-service or research focused? On MSAR it looks like they don't require med students to do community service or research/thesis. Thank you.

Has anyone had any luck finding programs and opportunities we would have at the Arizona campus? I am trying to write the Why Us essay but kind of struggling. Can we at least assume that the curriculum will be the same?

Has anyone had any luck finding programs and opportunities we would have at the Arizona campus? I am trying to write the Why Us essay but kind of struggling. Can we at least assume that the curriculum will be the same?
If you look at last years school specific for Creighton, they discuss the differences.

Hi! I wanted to ask if Creighton is more community-service or research focused? On MSAR it looks like they don't require med students to do community service or research/thesis. Thank you.
Definitely community service focused. Theres no requirement however everyone engages in service activities.
While there are some opportunities, I think we are a bit lacking in basic science research opportunities. With this said I hate Basic science research because its extremely in-efficient, so I don't think this is as huge of a loss as you might think as a medical student. You will see when you get to Med school while quality of research/publication prestige is certainly nice if you can swing it, its largely a numbers game. When you submit your ERAS for the match you will have a category that combines all activities including Paper publications, any other publications (non-clinica/case reports) Poster presentations, Oral presentations, abstracts, etc. So even if you grind out a PHD and get 4-5 really good publications, The average activity number for something like Neurosurgery/Derm is above 15. So you'd only be a third the way there. In contrast, if you spend a week writing up a case report its equivalent to what probably took you a year of basic lab research. You can spend a month doing a retrospective clinical review of patient charts and end up with a publication to a low tier journal and a poster presentation at a local conference.
Although these are significantly "less impressive" than say performing an animal study and submitting your results as a singular 15 page paper to NEJM, the fact of the matter is your talking 2 points to your ERAS count in a month doing the clinical retrospective vs 1 point after over a year of work. This may be unfair/weird but when you're a residency director trying to sort through 500 applicants for your 3 residency spots, using quantitative measurements like research numbers is an easy way to sort. I've had friends who have spent 10-15 hours a week for 3 years in the lab at their medical school trying to do basic science research and may end up with only one or 2 papers. On the other hand, I know people who will have gotten 10+ "publications" in the form of low tier science papers, non-clinical journal contributions, book chapters, and poster presentations. At the end of the day 10>2.

Clinical opportunities are plentiful and no one should have trouble getting case reports, retrospective studies or something of the sort. Academic physicians usually have research projects going and residents are usually eager for med students to help them publish since they want research on their fellowship applications. Furthermore we have a very good relationship with UNMC so you can always reach out to faculty there for research opportunities.

*Edited for more research context/advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

No one knows what M1/M2 will be like since its first year. So i'd expect you'd be erstablishing alot of the opportunities yourself. There are likely interest groups and service groups which M3/M4 students have participated in that you can adopt and expand to M1/M2 students.

Otherwise to my knowledge, both campuses have to have the the same curriculum since its a singular school. I.e. You should have a curriculum that mirrors omaha campus. All M3/M4 requirements are the same, however elective offerings may differ based on hospitals. I'd imagine same thing for M1/M2 basically same curriculum but one thing may be different here and there.

Definitely community service focused. Theres no requirement however everyone engages in service activities.
While there are some opportunities, I think we are a bit lacking in basic science research opportunities. With this said I hate Basic science research because its extremely in-efficient, so I don't think this is as huge of a loss as you might think as a medical student. You will see when you get to Med school while quality of research/publication prestige is certainly nice if you can swing it, its largely a numbers game. When you submit your ERAS for the match you will have a category that combines all activities including Paper publications, any other publications (non-clinica/case reports) Poster presentations, Oral presentations, abstracts, etc. So even if you grind out a PHD and get 4-5 really good publications, The average activity number for something like Neurosurgery/Derm is above 15. So you'd only be a third the way there. In contrast, if you spend a week writing up a case report its equivalent to what probably took you a year of basic lab research. You can spend a month doing a retrospective clinical review of patient charts and end up with a publication to a low tier journal and a poster presentation at a local conference.
Although these are significantly "less impressive" than say performing an animal study and submitting your results as a singular 15 page paper to NEJM, the fact of the matter is your talking 2 points to your ERAS count in a month doing the clinical retrospective vs 1 point after over a year of work. This may be unfair/weird but when you're a residency director trying to sort through 500 applicants for your 3 residency spots, using quantitative measurements like research numbers is an easy way to sort. I've had friends who have spent 10-15 hours a week for 3 years in the lab at their medical school trying to do basic science research and may end up with only one or 2 papers. On the other hand, I know people who will have gotten 10+ "publications" in the form of low tier science papers, non-clinical journal contributions, book chapters, and poster presentations. At the end of the day 10>2.

Clinical opportunities are plentiful and no one should have trouble getting case reports, retrospective studies or something of the sort. Academic physicians usually have research projects going and residents are usually eager for med students to help them publish since they want research on their fellowship applications. Furthermore we have a very good relationship with UNMC so you can always reach out to faculty there for research opportunities.

*Edited for more research context/advice.

Thanks so much for your detailed response. This was so helpful! I appreciate you exposing me to aspects of what residency programs are looking for in an applicant. I like basic-science research but you're right, it's a looooot of effort for one poster or publication.

Hey Everyone!

Best of luck ya'll!

Generally speaking what has your experience been like? What do you love about the school/what do you think needs improving? Thanks in advance!!

Thanks so much for your detailed response. This was so helpful! I appreciate you exposing me to aspects of what residency programs are looking for in an applicant. I like basic-science research but you're right, it's a looooot of effort for one poster or publication.

Basic science research is awesome for the right people and if you are truly interested there will be opportunities within omaha that you can pursue. Just gotta be cognizant of your "numbers" so you can check the box on your application.
Now this is specialty dependent (peds/psych/family which don't really require research, Surgery avgs around six things, Neurosurgery is 18ish) so you can always do basic science research and hustle a few fluff papers to up your numbers.

Generally speaking what has your experience been like? What do you love about the school/what do you think needs improving? Thanks in advance!!

In general I love Creighton with the past 3 years being amazing.
Positives:
Non-ranked grading means I'm not stressing about whatever my grades are. I have friends right now worried about what rank will be put in their deans letter. Awesome to be in the top 25%, not very awesome to be in any other rank. So without ranks, a Pass is a pass and while most residencies like to see honors, they also take them with a grain of salt and typically use standardized measurements like Step1/2 or LOR to grade applicants because the top 10% may honor at one school while 50% honor at another school so its hard to know really how "good" someone is.
My classmates are awesome. I'd say I get along with 90% of them extremely well and we are a very collaborative and social group. We make intramural sports teams, groups for tail gaiting sports and attending concerts etc.

M1/M2 is very doable. Looking back I was amazed by how much free time I had and the quality of life I got to enjoy. Sure week before finals get a little iffy but otherwise I regularly got 8 hours of sleep, had time to go to gym or play sports, to cook my food or go out with friends to restaurant/bar. It was amazing. Administration and professors are very receptive to student concerns.

I felt like my M3 experience was also great. While some rotations suck because its just not a fit (looking at you OBGYN), I'd say that overall we have a very relaxed/non-malignant environment where students and residents get along great on a personal level and most of the attendings are fantastic at teaching and very kind. Can't even tell ya'll how many stupid mistakes I've made that I know friends at other schools get absolutely crucified for and the attending/resident just helps me understand what to do next time without yelling or belittling. Things are weird with COVID environment, but We currently enjoy a plentiful supply of PPE and don't have to see any COVID positive or COVID probable patients. I feel like the admin has been as good as they can be with regards to communication about the various changes required to navigate COVID as well.

Negatives:
I'm not sure I have any true areas of complaint that are school specific.
Most of what I'd like to happen for M1/M2 seem to have been corrected with the new curriculum. aka. I think we should've started with systems, spent less time on biochem/anatomy, and have more independent learning with team based/case based learning instead of 7 hours of lecture a day.
I guess the Creighton specific complaints are about the cost/whats included or not included but this can be applied to most medical schools. Tuition is crazy high and the interest rates on our loans are disgusting. Prior to July 2020, interest rates were around 7% so your paying 3-4% above your mortage/car etc. crazy especially since its isn't dischargeable in bankruptcy. Plus you have to pay like 2.5% of your loans as origination fees. Its such a scam but i digress. The school forces us to buy all kinds of things I feel our tuition should cover given its somewhere around 60k a year now and those costs are required for us to be educated. This includes things like paying 2500 or so for your step exams, paying 1600 in "technology fees" for the laptop they "give to you for free." Just last year they got rid of the actual Creighton university student health clinic and established a partnership with CHI clinic on the edge of campus. This is fine, but there use to be some freebies like flu shot/TB testing clinics that you now have to attend the CHI or your primary care for. The health insurance policy is fine, but not fantastic.

The rest of my complaints extend to medical school education in general. It is way too expensive for the amount of self-teaching you do. In my opinion M1/M2 can easily be done fully online since what has historically mattered was acing Step 1. So we pay idk 120kish for lectures over M1/M2 and the reality is 90% of what I knew for Step 1 I learned from $1000-2000 of board specific resources that truly prepare you for step/clinicals (things like sketchy, pathoma, boards and beyond, etc). Many lecturers are taught by PHD not MD/DO's who tend to like to talk about nuanced topics that are "low-yield" for standardized exams but that are personally interesting to them. My understanding is med schools everywhere have this problem. This may get worse or at the very least be different for for M1/M2 though since Step1 will now be pass fail and thus the need for these exam specific resources may change. I'm not sure, but once again its a medical education issue not a creighton issue.

I also do wish we had a bit more time seeking out electives during M3 to learn what we want to do. Currently M3 consists of the Core rotations of IM, surgery, peds, obgyn, psych, family med and neuro. During surgery you spend 2 weeks on a surgical elective. one of your 3 week psych rotations can be an "elective" such as pediatrics/adolescent, geriatric psych, and consult psych. You than get three 2 week electives. While this may sound like alot, and is alot compared to other schools, you really don't get the opportunity to learn about IM subspecialties like heme/onc, rheum, nephro, endocrine etc until you are in your 4th year and you really only have your first 3 rotations of M4 before you have to apply to a specialty. Given that there are dozens of subspecialties out there I'd like more elective time. Plus I'd argue that an experience on cardiac surgery would be different then colorectal surgery and thus just having a single General surgery rotation would be inadequate to really tell if you want to go into a field.

I feel like I'm rambling so gonna stop. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Summary: Hate/needs improvement = Cost is crazy high and keeps going up, M1/M2 low-yield & hyper specific lectures, would like more elective opportunities.
Liked: everything else. Great collaborative environment. Love the city of omaha which was a surprise. Faculty/admin is certainly above average compared to the stories I hear from friends.

Reactions: 11 users
In general I love Creighton with the past 3 years being amazing.
Positives:
Non-ranked grading means I'm not stressing about whatever my grades are. I have friends right now worried about what rank will be put in their deans letter. Awesome to be in the top 25%, not very awesome to be in any other rank. So without ranks, a Pass is a pass and while most residencies like to see honors, they also take them with a grain of salt and typically use standardized measurements like Step1/2 or LOR to grade applicants because the top 10% may honor at one school while 50% honor at another school so its hard to know really how "good" someone is.
My classmates are awesome. I'd say I get along with 90% of them extremely well and we are a very collaborative and social group. We make intramural sports teams, groups for tail gaiting sports and attending concerts etc.

M1/M2 is very doable. Looking back I was amazed by how much free time I had and the quality of life I got to enjoy. Sure week before finals get a little iffy but otherwise I regularly got 8 hours of sleep, had time to go to gym or play sports, to cook my food or go out with friends to restaurant/bar. It was amazing. Administration and professors are very receptive to student concerns.

I felt like my M3 experience was also great. While some rotations suck because its just not a fit (looking at you OBGYN), I'd say that overall we have a very relaxed/non-malignant environment where students and residents get along great on a personal level and most of the attendings are fantastic at teaching and very kind. Can't even tell ya'll how many stupid mistakes I've made that I know friends at other schools get absolutely crucified for and the attending/resident just helps me understand what to do next time without yelling or belittling. Things are weird with COVID environment, but We currently enjoy a plentiful supply of PPE and don't have to see any COVID positive or COVID probable patients. I feel like the admin has been as good as they can be with regards to communication about the various changes required to navigate COVID as well.

Negatives:
I'm not sure I have any true areas of complaint that are school specific.
Most of what I'd like to happen for M1/M2 seem to have been corrected with the new curriculum. aka. I think we should've started with systems, spent less time on biochem/anatomy, and have more independent learning with team based/case based learning instead of 7 hours of lecture a day.
I guess the Creighton specific complaints are about the cost/whats included or not included but this can be applied to most medical schools. Tuition is crazy high and the interest rates on our loans are disgusting. Prior to July 2020, interest rates were around 7% so your paying 3-4% above your mortage/car etc. crazy especially since its isn't dischargeable in bankruptcy. Plus you have to pay like 2.5% of your loans as origination fees. Its such a scam but i digress. The school forces us to buy all kinds of things I feel our tuition should cover given its somewhere around 60k a year now and those costs are required for us to be educated. This includes things like paying 2500 or so for your step exams, paying 1600 in "technology fees" for the laptop they "give to you for free." Just last year they got rid of the actual Creighton university student health clinic and established a partnership with CHI clinic on the edge of campus. This is fine, but there use to be some freebies like flu shot/TB testing clinics that you now have to attend the CHI or your primary care for. The health insurance policy is fine, but not fantastic.

The rest of my complaints extend to medical school education in general. It is way too expensive for the amount of self-teaching you do. In my opinion M1/M2 can easily be done fully online since what has historically mattered was acing Step 1. So we pay idk 120kish for lectures over M1/M2 and the reality is 90% of what I knew for Step 1 I learned from $1000-2000 of board specific resources that truly prepare you for step/clinicals (things like sketchy, pathoma, boards and beyond, etc). Many lecturers are taught by PHD not MD/DO's who tend to like to talk about nuanced topics that are "low-yield" for standardized exams but that are personally interesting to them. My understanding is med schools everywhere have this problem. This may get worse or at the very least be different for for M1/M2 though since Step1 will now be pass fail and thus the need for these exam specific resources may change. I'm not sure, but once again its a medical education issue not a creighton issue.

I also do wish we had a bit more time seeking out electives during M3 to learn what we want to do. Currently M3 consists of the Core rotations of IM, surgery, peds, obgyn, psych, family med and neuro. During surgery you spend 2 weeks on a surgical elective. one of your 3 week psych rotations can be an "elective" such as pediatrics/adolescent, geriatric psych, and consult psych. You than get three 2 week electives. While this may sound like alot, and is alot compared to other schools, you really don't get the opportunity to learn about IM subspecialties like heme/onc, rheum, nephro, endocrine etc until you are in your 4th year and you really only have your first 3 rotations of M4 before you have to apply to a specialty. Given that there are dozens of subspecialties out there I'd like more elective time. Plus I'd argue that an experience on cardiac surgery would be different then colorectal surgery and thus just having a single General surgery rotation would be inadequate to really tell if you want to go into a field.

I feel like I'm rambling so gonna stop. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Summary: Hate/needs improvement = Cost is crazy high and keeps going up, M1/M2 low-yield & hyper specific lectures, would like more elective opportunities.
Liked: everything else. Great collaborative environment. Love the city of omaha which was a surprise. Faculty/admin is certainly above average compared to the stories I hear from friends.
Wow thank you so much this is incredibly thorough and helpful.

So is Creighton basically accepting more students for the Pheonix class to match the number of students they normally accept for Omaha, or are they just dividing their normal class size in half for each campus?