2018-2019 Creighton University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do I need to email admissions after submitting an update on the portal pre II?

no

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to catch a flight at 5:15 pm right after the interviews. Are they able to hold our luggage during the interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite!! Heading out last week of January. Truly blessed. Anyone know if this is for a waitlist spot?

Reactions: 1 users
Interview invite!! Heading out last week of January. Truly blessed. Anyone know if this is for a waitlist spot?

Every interview invite is for an actual spot at that at medical school. Your question makes no sense.

Every interview invite is for an actual spot at that at medical school. Your question makes no sense.

You're mistaken. Schools can have enough acceptances handed out that their class size is full. Interviews at that time would be for a position on the waitlist until applicants choose to withdraw their app and the number of acceptances become lower than their class size, leaving seats open for waitlisted apps to get accepted. I'm assuming they were asking if Creighton has hit that amount of acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
You're mistaken. Schools can have enough acceptances handed out that their class size is full. Interviews at that time would be for a position on the waitlist until applicants choose to withdraw their app and the number of acceptances become lower than their class size, leaving seats open for waitlisted apps to get accepted. I'm assuming they were asking if Creighton has hit that amount of acceptances.

You are mistaken in that there are no ‘waitlist” or “actual” spots. There is constant flux throughout the cycle and if they like you enough they will find a way to get you in there mark my words.

You are mistaken in that there are no ‘waitlist” or “actual” spots. There is constant flux throughout the cycle and if they like you enough they will find a way to get you in there mark my words.

Much appreciation. Either way, going to give it everything I've got and keep the fingers crossed.

OP asked if his interview was for a WL spot, which is definitely a valid question getting an interview this late in the cycle. Out of the 8 schools I applied to, 2 of them have already frozen their admissions, meaning any interviews will result in a spot on the WL or rejection. Of course there's flux throughout the cycle, after all, it's called a WAITlist. ;) I think Creighton still has plenty of acceptances to hand out because they tend to have a later cycle than some schools like U of Iowa or UMD so good luck @CJhooper123 !!

OP asked if his interview was for a WL spot, which is definitely a valid question getting an interview this late in the cycle. Out of the 8 schools I applied to, 2 of them have already frozen their admissions, meaning any interviews will result in a spot on the WL or rejection. Of course there's flux throughout the cycle, after all, it's called a WAITlist. ;) I think Creighton still has plenty of acceptances to hand out because they tend to have a later cycle than some schools like U of Iowa or UMD so good luck @CJhooper123 !!

Thank you! Fingers crossed...

so my update includes research, volunteer work, and interest in the school - any advice on where to upload this if it doesn't neatly fit into a category?? I think research was the most lacking on my app so potentially that? any advice is welcomed

So I was complete since mid-October but I still have not heard anything back yet... Is anyone else in this same situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is cray. Have you called to see when we are supposed to hear back by?
I have not. I’ve become so used to this waiting game at all schools, I figure it’s better to just let the process run it’s course. At least for my own sanity.

I have not. I’ve become so used to this waiting game at all schools, I figure it’s better to just let the process run it’s course. At least for my own sanity.
Lol that’s good to hear. My sanity is running thin!:uhno:

So I was complete since mid-October but I still have not heard anything back yet... Is anyone else in this same situation?
Still in waiting pergatory.... Been complete since October as well.

been complete since august and still no word either...

For all the peeps down in the dumps. We interview into March. Although I can't say for sure, I'd speculate that there are still interview invites to be given out. You never know what'll happen!

If you havent already, I'd send an update on Fall/winter grades and any significant resume updates like a recent journal publication, poster presentation, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Those that have already completed II's:

Does Creighton send out an email before the interview day that contains an interview day schedule of events/where to meet on the interview day?

!!!! The thank you for visiting Creighton message from my portal is gone (interviewed December 14). Been going crazy waiting on the decision..

Same here!!! The anticipation is insane!!

Just got interview invite a few hours back! I’m so excited and grateful :)

Withdrew II invite. Hope it goes to one of you guys

For those people that have interviewed here, what did you guys wear to the MO dinner?

For those people that have interviewed here, what did you guys wear to the MO dinner?

Winter coat, t-shirt, jeans, and boots. It's a casual dinner so no formal wear is required. Every M0 at the dinner wore something casual along those lines.

Anyone know if there is an admitted students facebook group?

If you havent already, I'd send an update on Fall/winter grades and any significant resume updates like a recent journal publication, poster presentation, etc.
I uploaded those on the portal, instead of emailing admission. Is this the right approach? Or do they not read what's uploaded on the portal?

ACCEPTED (by email this morning). LET'S GO!!!!!!! LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS CRAZY!!!
WOW

Reactions: 9 users
Placed on the alternate list today - interviewed 12/14. Apparently the next time CU meets to go over the alternate list is early May. Anyone know how much movement occurs for the alternate list?

Placed on the alternate list today - interviewed 12/14. Apparently the next time CU meets to go over the alternate list is early May. Anyone know how much movement occurs for the alternate list?

Can't give you an exact number other than I def have some classmates who were taken off the waitlist. You never know!

For those of us who interviewed on Jan. 11th, I remember them saying we should hear back the week of the 4th? With people who interviewed in Dec just now hearing back, I just wanted to check to make sure I didn't mishear something.

HI! i was accepted at Creighton back in November and am PUMPED!!! @PunjabiBoy1993 the interview is super chill. You have one 30 minute interview with a current M2 and then another 30 minute interview with a faculty member. its open file, so most of my questions I were asked pertained to wanting more details about things on my application. make sure you have dates and hours completed of your works/activities section from AMCAS down to be able to answer any questions. In my opinion, open file interviews tend to be more relaxed and focused and less stressful because they ask you more specific questions about what is in your application. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info or have any more questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi!

Maybe one of you can help me with this. So, I just interviewed a couple weeks back and the interviewer suggested that I send in updates of my volunteer work. However, I haven't changed anything and the volunteer work I listed on my AMCAS is ongoing. I even included approximately how many hours I should have completed by the "end date" which I set for June 1, 2019. Should I still send them an update, stating that I am still doing this volunteer work? I'm not sure how to approach this...

Hi!

Maybe one of you can help me with this. So, I just interviewed a couple weeks back and the interviewer suggested that I send in updates of my volunteer work. However, I haven't changed anything and the volunteer work I listed on my AMCAS is ongoing. I even included approximately how many hours I should have completed by the "end date" which I set for June 1, 2019. Should I still send them an update, stating that I am still doing this volunteer work? I'm not sure how to approach this...
Maybe talk about a new, meaningful experience you've had when volunteering, and then add in a passionate letter of interest paragraph, including a similar volunteer experience you are excited to have at Creighton? Like with a specific club or clinic that interested you

Interview invite today! Dates available are Feb 15th, 22nd, and March 1st.

Reactions: 4 users
+2. I had the same dates available and am excited about the trip to Omaha. I recommend sending updates if you haven't already! Will we get another email telling us when and where to meet on interview day? I can't seem to find the information anywhere, thank you!

II! Same dates available as yesterday- 2/15, 2/22, 3/1

Hi! So I am having a really tough time deciding between attending Creighton and UNMC. I went to undergrad at Creighton at LOVED it and I love the Jesuit education. However, I am really stressing about paying for Creighton Med's tuition... UNMC is basically half the price because i am in state and I am having a really hard time deciding which route to go. Is anyone else in this situation? Can anyone give me the pros and cons of both schools? and, will i be in debt for the rest of my life if i go to Creighton Med?
I really appreciate any and all feedback or comments!! you guys rock!

Hi! So I am having a really tough time deciding between attending Creighton and UNMC. I went to undergrad at Creighton at LOVED it and I love the Jesuit education. However, I am really stressing about paying for Creighton Med's tuition... UNMC is basically half the price because i am in state and I am having a really hard time deciding which route to go. Is anyone else in this situation? Can anyone give me the pros and cons of both schools? and, will i be in debt for the rest of my life if i go to Creighton Med?
Given that both are similarly-ranked schools in the same city, I'd go with the cheaper option.

So honestly, I'd go UNMC for price tag cause it is a good chunk of change.
you'd have a savings if about 25-30k per year if I remember correctly. When you total up over the 4 total years and then calculate in the interest you'd have to pay back (current interest rate around 7), you would have a considerable amount of savings.

Would you be in debt forever? Obviously not because otherwise Creighton would be graduating 150 students per year with doomed futures. Assuming you stay in Omaha/midwest long term, you'd enjoy a higher than average physician salary as well. Are you interested in primary care? NHSC will pay for your med school + a stipend as long as you practice in a "in need" area, which much of nebraska is (outside of lincoln and omaha). Nebraska also has the Nebraska loan forgiveness program for IM, ped, psych, obgyn, family med, and general surgery docs who practice in approved counties (Rural Health Loan Repayment Program)
You'd simply be post-poning buying that new car/house after finishing residency.

UNMC has far more resources in terms of research funding and arguably better specialty exposure simply because they have some more competitive residency programs in house i.e. derm, neurosurgery, surgical fellowships, etc. Although I'd argue exposure differences are negligible due to collaboration, having in house specialty residency programs is certainly a plus.

Some clear differences for Creighton is the chance to spend your last two clinical years in Phoenix if that were of interest to you. Also we are Jesuit so we have a chaplain and Jesuit-related extracurricular programs such as the Physician Vocation Program.

I'd argue Creighton has a less competitive / more relaxed environment. This is for many different reasons including lack of internal ranking and the more service oriented jesuit atmosphere/ student body. With that being said, I've worked with many students at UNMC who are just as awesome and down to earth as my fellow bluejays.

UNMC does take their Step much earlier (March is common from what I here) vs Creighton (June). With this being said, you will be required to learn same amount of competencies in 3 months less so that changes the learning atmosphere a bit. Furthermore, from my understanding UNMC has mandatory attendance where as attendance is largely optional at Creighton (I typically have a mandatory class twice a week). I'd argue these facts make Creighton a bit more hospitable during M1 and M2 but im also biased.

With that being said, I'd say extracurricular/residency match differences are negligible simply because of collaborations between our institutions. I know many Creighton students who have shadowed/ conducted research with UNMC professors. Many Creighton med students end up going UNMC for residency, several UNMC grads are our professors. I know several unmc students who have worked with Creighton physicians for shadowing purposes. Pediatric residency is completely shared as a children's hospital-creighton-unmc program. The Psychiatry residencies in Omaha are Cosponsored by both institutions. Most Docs around town work with and know each other at opposing institutions.

Hopefully this helps!