2020-2021 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not seeing any in the interview tracker or in this thread, but -- does anyone know of someone getting an II here yet? Their portal says they will send them beginning in July, so not sure if they just didn't update that to account for the shifted cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Not seeing any in the interview tracker or in this thread, but -- does anyone know of someone getting an II here yet? Their portal says they will send them beginning in July, so not sure if they just didn't update that to account for the shifted cycle.
They might start tomorrow since they were on the list for VITA

Members don't see this ad :)
what does being on the vita list have to do with starting tom ?
Might just make it more convenient for them since then the first round of invites will be sent. It’s literally just speculation but I read it somewhere and it made sense to me. Do with that what you will

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe. I wonder if they're sending VITA to every applicant, or only select ones?
When I was talking to a faculty member somewhere using VITA, they said that they were only going to be sending it to those invited to interview since otherwise they’d have too much to go through

When I was talking to a faculty member somewhere using VITA, they said that they were only going to be sending it to those invited to interview since otherwise they’d have too much to go through
I hope that's the case. I've heard some places will invite every applicant, but only watch the VITA interview as part of their post-Zoom interview evaluation.

While that makes sense to me, that might not be every schools' approach to utilizing VITA. Some may send VITA to only people they extend II's to, and others may send out VITA invites to more people than they intent to invite for interviews and use VITA as another screening hoop between secondaries and interviews. Each ADCOM is smoke-and-mirrors to me haha. What are those magicians doing behind that curtain??

Can you access the secondary after submitting or am I just missing it?

I’ve seen you ask for this a lot. I’ve applied to 40 schools and none of them have asked for this in a secondary. I highly doubt any that I’ve not applied to will as well. You will not be required to give your ssn until you are asked for a background check. No one at these schools is trying to steal your identity or personal information.
UPitt and Emory ask for SSN

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the former approach you mentioned. I wrote a bit about my personal experiences living abroad and how that changed my perspective. Then I answered the question directly based off that experience.

Looks like I messed up. I only wore a dress shirt. I did look for specifications before taking it, and there were none I could find. That said, if I remember correctly, they stated they will not look at the photo until you're invited for an interview, at which point the photo will only be used for identity verification. Don't make my mistake; do look professional, but if my memory serves me well then I don't think you have to worry about the photo too much.
Is the photo only asked for MD applicants? I applied MSTP and didn't remember being asked specifically for a professional photo

Is the photo only asked for MD applicants? I applied MSTP and didn't remember being asked specifically for a professional photo

If you didn't have to I would assume that's the case. Looking back, I'm not sure it was even required to complete my application. Maybe contact the adcoms and ask, if you find it a concern.

I'm wondering if it would be too to add this school to my AMCAS app. I was verified in June, but did not apply to this school initially and I am now regretting it. LM score 74. Is it worth it now?

I'm wondering if it would be too to add this school to my AMCAS app. I was verified in June, but did not apply to this school initially and I am now regretting it. LM score 74. Is it worth it now?
yes

• Dislike

it’s august, they haven’t even sent IIs yet. go for it.

Are there any Feinberg students on here? I have a question about the resources on campus that I haven't found an answer for on the website.
email: [email protected]

Hi, does anyone know what the character limits are for the secondary prompts? Thanks in advance!!!

Any URM (or ORM) applicants just get their diversity email inviting them to apply?

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I did, I figure I might as well apply
How exclusive do you think it is? I have average stats (but what I feel are strong ECs/LORs) so I'm not convinced they're particularly impressed by me (unless they see your primary app too?).

How exclusive do you think it is? I have average stats (but what I feel are strong ECs/LORs) so I'm not convinced they're particularly impressed by me (unless they see your primary app too?).
How can they see your primary if you haven't sent it to them? I am pretty sure it's based on nothing other than the fact that you indicated you were open to solicitations when you took the MCAT, and they have whatever demographic information you gave AAMC at that time (plus whatever MCAT range AAMC supplies them with -- I'm also pretty sure that AAMC does not give your exact score). Schools definitely do not see applications that were not sent to them.

Any URM (or ORM) applicants just get their diversity email inviting them to apply?
I did, I submitted primary and was on the fence about submitting a secondary based off a lower than expected mcat score. With the fee covered we might as well see what happens

How can they see your primary if you haven't sent it to them? I am pretty sure it's based on nothing other than the fact that you indicated you were open to solicitations when you took the MCAT, and they have whatever demographic information you gave AAMC at that time (plus whatever MCAT range AAMC supplies them with -- I'm also pretty sure that AAMC does not give your exact score). Schools definitely do not see applications that were not sent to them.
True, it was because the wording of their email says something along the lines of "based on the totality of your application" but I guess that's more referring to biographic information and such.

True, it was because the wording of their email says something along the lines of "based on the totality of your application" but I guess that's more referring to biographic information and such.
Yup! It might just be a generic e-mail that's going to everyone who meets the demographic criteria. In @purple_jpg's case, they have the primary, but in your case they don't. In any event, it's designed to increase diversity by getting you to apply, but don't read anything into it other than they want to increase the diversity of their pool, especially if they don't even have your primary. If they are waiving the fee, there is absolutely no reason not to take a shot.

Yup! It might just be a generic e-mail that's going to everyone who meets the demographic criteria. In @purple_jpg's case, they have the primary, but in your case they don't. In any event, it's designed to increase diversity by getting you to apply, but don't read anything into it other than they want to increase the diversity of their pool, especially if they don't even have your primary. If they are waiving the fee, there is absolutely no reason not to take a shot.
Thanks for your perspective. :)

I think someone earlier on this thread said they got it too. So Im not sure how exclusive it is. However, it would be weird for them to say they looked through the applicant pool when they didn't actually do that. But I also wouldn't put that past them lol.

I think someone earlier on this thread said they got it too. So Im not sure how exclusive it is. However, it would be weird for them to say they looked through the applicant pool when they didn't actually do that. But I also wouldn't put that past them lol.
Unless "applicant pool" means everyone who took the MCAT, and presumably applied somewhere. We know it doesn't mean their applicant pool if it has gone to people who haven't yet submitted a primary to them! For what it's worth, the College Board, AAMC, ACT, etc. generate a lot of money selling lists of test takers who meet certain criteria to interested parties, like schools.

You either opt in or opt out when you sign up for the test. I don't think it would be dishonest for anyone paying for such a list to claim to have "looked through the applicant pool." I'm 99% sure that's what they're referring to, as opposed to trying to imply they have access to primaries that have not been submitted to them.

NW is one of my top schools! I was going to apply later on in the cycle when I saved up enough money but now that they offered to waive the fee, I am for sure applying ASAP! Excited to just be able to apply earlier than expected :) Goodluck y'all!!

Reactions: 2 users
I can't be the only one whose heart skipped a beat when they saw an email from Feinberg only to find it's a newsletter for prospective students.

Reactions: 22 users
I can't be the only one whose heart skipped a beat when they saw an email from Feinberg only to find it's a newsletter for prospective students.
As if they need to convince us to want to go there :rofl:

Is it bad I unsubscribed from it after their first email a few weeks ago LOL i knew this was gonna happen so i unsubscribed to save me some minor panics

Definitely some secret sauce in their application. Nice job fam!
No crazy stats or amazing research, but I am a non-trad with "interesting" non-healthcare career experiences/leadership. Thanks for the congrats. We got this, best of luck to you all!!!

Reactions: 4 users