2020-2021 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waived based on MCAT score

What, you got your secondary fee waived bc of your mcat score? What was your score, 529? Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same. I submitted last night but "supplementary application received" box remains unchecked. I'll give it a couple days to hopefully let the system replicate/backup, whatever it needs to do, before I pester them. (Obviously not a computer guy here).
+1

Has anyone recieved an email back regarding the FAP secondary waiver, I don't want to submit till they say its good to go

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone recieved an email back regarding the FAP secondary waiver, I don't want to submit till they say its good to go

They told me it would probably be processed tomorrow afternoon & that they would email when

For the diversty part, do we still check the boxes if our diversity essay has nothing to do with any of that?

For the social background check boxes, one of them says "experience with foster care or adoption". If my sibling is adopted, should I check this or is this just referring to myself?

For the reapplicant question, should I write N/A or simply skip it?

Diversity essay seems a little different. Are you guys writing about any diverse experience and how it would contribute to FSM? Or should it more specifically be a narrative regarding the conditions of one's life?

I love that Northwestern's login is just...AAMC ID and last name (?!) while other schools are asking for your SSN to log in.

I know a couple people were wondering about the delay between clicking "submit" and seeing the "supplemental application received" box checked. I submitted on 7/12, and the received box is checked and dated 7/14. Now the "Application complete and under review" box is checked too. So, 2 day delay for me.

I know a couple people were wondering about the delay between clicking "submit" and seeing the "supplemental application received" box checked. I submitted on 7/12, and the received box is checked and dated 7/14. Now the "Application complete and under review" box is checked too. So, 2 day delay for me.
Same for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need a tie for the professional photo? I have a blazer and a dress shirt is that enough?

Do we need a tie for the professional photo? I have a blazer and a dress shirt is that enough?

I'd wear a tie. My general philosophy on this is:

Blazer + shirt = casual
Shirt + tie = casual
Blazer + shirt + tie = professional and formal

Diversity essay seems a little different. Are you guys writing about any diverse experience and how it would contribute to FSM? Or should it more specifically be a narrative regarding the conditions of one's life?

I took the former approach you mentioned. I wrote a bit about my personal experiences living abroad and how that changed my perspective. Then I answered the question directly based off that experience.

I'd wear a tie. My general philosophy on this is:

Blazer + shirt = casual
Shirt + tie = casual
Blazer + shirt + tie = professional and formal

Looks like I messed up. I only wore a dress shirt. I did look for specifications before taking it, and there were none I could find. That said, if I remember correctly, they stated they will not look at the photo until you're invited for an interview, at which point the photo will only be used for identity verification. Don't make my mistake; do look professional, but if my memory serves me well then I don't think you have to worry about the photo too much.

I took the former approach you mentioned. I wrote a bit about my personal experiences living abroad and how that changed my perspective. Then I answered the question directly based off that experience.

Looks like I messed up. I only wore a dress shirt. I did look for specifications before taking it, and there were none I could find. That said, if I remember correctly, they stated they will not look at the photo until you're invited for an interview, at which point the photo will only be used for identity verification. Don't make my mistake; do look professional, but if my memory serves me well then I don't think you have to worry about the photo too much.
I agree with you on the photo. If they didn't specify that it was only viewed after an II was sent, maybe I'd be more concerned about wearing a suit + tie. If you search SDN, there's a lot of different beliefs about what is acceptable for the photo. Obviously, suit + tie is best/safest, but at least LizzyM has said that the most common attire for the photos of their interviewees was open-collared dress shirt or blouse. Apparently you'd be surprised by the number of people submitting veryyy casual photos (clearly cropped from a group photo, awful lighting, obvious selfie, etc.). I'm not sweating it.

So I received some email from this school for URM saying they will waive my secondary if I apply here even though I did not have them on my AMCAS list. I am a TX resident worried this is a waste of money, is this offer legit? Are they really interested in me or do they send this to mostly everyone?

So I received some email from this school for URM saying they will waive my secondary if I apply here even though I did not have them on my AMCAS list. I am a TX resident worried this is a waste of money, is this offer legit? Are they really interested in me or do they send this to mostly everyone?
I got the same e-mail after I took my MCAT and I just got notice that they are indeed waiving my secondary fee. I say if you have $40 to submit your primary here then give it a shot.

I'm having trouble opening the link to the "Begin application process" tab on the MSTP app. Are you having this issue as well?

I didn't have this problem - did you try clearing your cookies or Incognito mode/private browsing?

I didn't have this problem - did you try clearing your cookies or Incognito mode/private browsing?
I am getting a similar error. I tried to access from safari/incognito and chrome/incognito and neither worked.

I am getting a similar error. I tried to access from safari/incognito and chrome/incognito and neither worked.

When I had been on the app yesterday, it said that the site was going to be undergoing maintenance from 5am PDT today until 12:01 am PDT on monday, and so it would be unavailable. I was hoping it wasnt really true/would somehow still be available but it seems like it isn’t, which is pretty ****ing inconvenient

Reactions: 1 users
When I had been on the app yesterday, it said that the site was going to be undergoing maintenance from 5am PDT today until 12:01 am PDT on monday, and so it would be unavailable. I was hoping it wasnt really true/would somehow still be available but it seems like it isn’t, which is pretty ****ing inconvenient
Copy, thank you for the info!

How should we answer the COVID-19 question, if we are fortunate enough that the pandemic hasn't put any serious barries in front of us? My mom works in the ICU, so I could talk about the stress from that on my family, but nothing else luckily. Is it an optional question?

How should we answer the COVID-19 question, if we are fortunate enough that the pandemic hasn't put any serious barries in front of us? My mom works in the ICU, so I could talk about the stress from that on my family, but nothing else luckily. Is it an optional question?
I had the same question - I'm emailing them now to ask, but I really dont want to write anything here because I was fortunate enough to be entirely unaffected

I had the same question - I'm emailing them now to ask, but I really dont want to write anything here because I was fortunate enough to be entirely unaffected
Let us know what they say! I'm also wondering the same thing.

Is there an additional information section in the secondary, where we can explain potential shortcomings in our app? Still waiting on my secondary!

When you are complete, are you automatically marked "Complete and Under Review"? Or are others just "Complete"?

Regarding if the COVID-19 prompt is optional:

Thank you for your e-mail. Essay Question: COVID-19 IMPACT should be completed, as it is not an optional question. If answering a question is optional, there would be a note indicating this on the supplemental. It's up to the applicant to determine how to best answer each of the questions on the supplemental.

When you are complete, are you automatically marked "Complete and Under Review"? Or are others just "Complete"?

Mine has been marked complete and under review, not sure if it was just complete before but I don't think it was

Does the status page update automatically after secondary submission? Submitted today, but the supplemental app box and app complete box are blank.

Does the status page update automatically after secondary submission? Submitted today, but the supplemental app box and app complete box are blank.
It took a few days for them to get check marks after I submitted.

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Trying to figure this out as well!! If you find out let us know if there is an optional additional information text box?

Did anyone get the feinberg 411 email? I checked the website and it says its sent to students who have interviewed/recieved an interview. Ppl from the 2016 thread said everyone got it but I wanted to make sure that was still the case?

Did anyone get the feinberg 411 email? I checked the website and it says its sent to students who have interviewed/recieved an interview. Ppl from the 2016 thread said everyone got it but I wanted to make sure that was still the case?

It says in the subject that it's for prospective students. I haven't even finished this secondary yet and I got it too.

How are nontrads answering the gap year essay? I can't tell if I should write about what I've done since grad school (or even undergrad since they say "college"?) or just what I'll be doing the next year.
I answered it chronologically since earning my bachelor degree several years ago. I don't have grad school coursework or a grad school degree, but I would probably interpret the question to mean "what have you been doing since you finished your undergrad degree?"

Anyone having trouble with the MSTP secondary site? I can log in but the begin your application link goes nowhere

Anyone having trouble with the MSTP secondary site? I can log in but the begin your application link goes nowhere

I had the same issue last week and emailed mstp admissions about it. It was fixed quickly and I had no issues submitting. It might be worth emailing them tomorrow! If needed, I’d be happy to send you the prompts in the meantime

I had the same issue last week and emailed mstp admissions about it. It was fixed quickly and I had no issues submitting. It might be worth emailing them tomorrow! If needed, I’d be happy to send you the prompts in the meantime
Thanks for the help, no I got the prompts about 1.5 week ago but I appreciate the offer! Just looking to submit, I'll shoot them an email

Is the reapplicant question meant for anyone reapply or just people who have previously applied to NW?

How long did it take most people from AMCAS primary verification to receiving a secondary. They are my final secondary to submit, but I am unsure how long it should be taking. My app was verified on July 28th. Anyone know when I may receive the secondary?

How long did it take most people from AMCAS primary verification to receiving a secondary. They are my final secondary to submit, but I am unsure how long it should be taking. My app was verified on July 28th. Anyone know when I may receive the secondary?

Received Secondary today (8/4) at 3:39 PM. Verified July 28th. LM 74 OOS