2019-2020 Wright State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called and it appears they are not sending out confirmation emails. I sent my app in early July and they claimed it was complete and under review.

Hey everyone, I’m an M1 here. Just wanted to say I absolutely love this school. It’s a great curriculum and atmosphere so I highly recommend you consider choosing BSOM. I know right now you probably would take any acceptance, but this time next year, you’ll be glad you chose a place that makes you happy. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I’m an M1 here. Just wanted to say I absolutely love this school. It’s a great curriculum and atmosphere so I highly recommend you consider choosing BSOM. I know right now you probably would take any acceptance, but this time next year, you’ll be glad you chose a place that makes you happy. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Thanks for willing to answer questions! Glad you are liking it there! If you went to a high school in OH, will the registrar consider you instate even if you attended college in a different state?

Thanks for willing to answer questions! Glad you are liking it there! If you went to a high school in OH, will the registrar consider you instate even if you attended college in a different state?

I think so but I’ll have to ask them.

Reactions: 1 users
Please do ask them if you don't mind, I will appreciate your response!!

The office staff member I spoke with said they weren’t sure and most of the staff members are on vacation today, so they suggested you call on Monday.

Most questions I can answer is about what it’s like to be a student here or my interview process.

If you earned a medically related certificate/license, how many hours have you worked in that role since earning your certificate/license? If not, please enter N/A. (100 Characters)

If there has been a significant economic hardship, please explain the circumstances. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

If your parents are graduates of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, please list their name(s) and graduation year(s). Enter N/A if your parents are not Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Alumni. (100 Characters)

If you have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff, please list their name(s). Enter N/A if you do not have relatives that are Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine alumni, current students, faculty or staff. (100 Characters)

If you have applied to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine in a previous cycle, please indicate the year(s) of your previous application(s). Enter N/A if this is your first application to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. (100 Characters)

If there has been or will be a gap in your education, please describe how you have/will use this time. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

If you consider yourself a non-traditional candidate, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances which you believe are pertinent to your application (i.e. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

If you have attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school, as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O., please list the name of the school and explain the reason for separation. Enter N/A if you have not attended any allopathic or osteopathic medical school as a candidate for an M.D. or D.O. (500 Characters)

If you indicated that you have connections to Ohio, Wright State University or Boonshoft School of Medicine, please explain. If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)

lot more demographic checkbox questions.
Verified 7/17
2ndary rec. 7/18 in 2 emails, one just a message, second with a liasoncas AAMC login link

@PapaGuava
Thank you for this. I found the series of 4 other emails in my Trash

Reactions: 1 user
Someone asked me a few questions in a PM and so I thought I’d share my answers here for those of you interested:

Yeah one of the things I like best about this school is that it’s self directed with team based learning. It’s sooo much better than sitting through lectures all day. Basically, we read at home about a topic (like I think today for example is fatty acid synthesis) and then the following day we come in and answer questions in class with clickers in groups. It’s so much more of an effective way to learn because you are constantly testing yourself. Plus we’re only in class for 3 hours so it’s pretty sweet.

I have no idea about LOI’s. People are pretty relaxed around here so I’d say calling and talking to them is probably the best way to get your foot in the door. I’ve had plenty of emails lost or never returned so any kind of documentation outside of the application may not be seen. I heard they are slammed with applications this year, much more than most years.

I don’t think anyone in my class was in DO or an international MD program prior to this. We have many people who have changed careers, though.

The faculty is amazing. I feel like there’s truly an open-door policy around here. No judgment at all, free and happy to help you at any time. I can’t say enough good things about them. Transitioning to medical school can be very scary - they made the transition very smooth and stress free.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm OOS from Florida, would this be considered a state tie- my boyfriend who i've been with since high school has family in Ohio and we have visited up there every year, he's from a town 1.5 hours away from Dayton. What other info would i need to include and like how is this something i can prove, if proof is required??

I'm OOS from Florida, would this be considered a state tie- my boyfriend who i've been with since high school has family in Ohio and we have visited up there every year, he's from a town 1.5 hours away from Dayton. What other info would i need to include and like how is this something i can prove, if proof is required??
I don't think your boyfriend having family there is considered a state tie for you. It definitely is for your boyfriend tho

I would still mention that you regularly visit though! They typically want to know that you are familiar with the area and would want to live there.

I would still mention that you regularly visit though! They typically want to know that you are familiar with the area and would want to live there.
if youve never visited the area, would that be a bad thing even in the slightest chance?

Members don't see this ad :)

It can’t hurt to mention it. LOL no one will ask you to prove that. They could ask you about it in an interview I guess?

Many people I know in my class had absolutely no ties to Dayton or Ohio. I have some distant relatives who live on the eastern side of the state but that was it.

Reactions: 2 users
Many people I know in my class had absolutely no ties to Dayton or Ohio. I have some distant relatives who live on the eastern side of the state but that was it.
Perfect. This is what I wanted to hear!

sgpa 3.4 with a post bacc gpa of 3.9. MCAT 508. I have very strong ties to WSU and Dayton.

Reactions: 1 users
How close of a tie do you have to WSU? Are your relatives alumni of it? Thank you, just curious!!
No problem, I love knowing specifics too! I did my post-bacc at the University, took classes with and got an LOR from Boonsoft faculty, was part of an organization that gave us Boonsoft medical student mentors and shadowed a Boonshoft alumni.

The question asking about extenuating circumstances that are pertinent to your application like poor grades, withdrawal courses, etc, is it worth it at all to talk about my low MCAT score here? Its in Wright State's 25th percentile according to MSAR, but its like really low for any other MD school lol so i don't know if its worth mentioning here and like explain why i did poorly on it

The question asking about extenuating circumstances that are pertinent to your application like poor grades, withdrawal courses, etc, is it worth it at all to talk about my low MCAT score here? Its in Wright State's 25th percentile according to MSAR, but its like really low for any other MD school lol so i don't know if its worth mentioning here and like explain why i did poorly on it
I wouldn’t. I interpreted that question as more referring to a sudden grade drop during a quarter/semester due to a family death or some other extenuating circumstance. A lower MCAT score that still falls within the 25-75% range doesn’t need to be explained imo.

Just making sure - if you received on the job training for a Medical Scribe and Medical Assistant position, you still wouldn't checkmark it off on the first question of the secondary right? bc it's not a license/ certificate

Just making sure - if you received on the job training for a Medical Scribe and Medical Assistant position, you still wouldn't checkmark it off on the first question of the secondary right? bc it's not a license/ certificate
I didn't check it

Wait so why wouldn't this still be considered okay to check it and write down the hours you worked. I already checked it and wrote down the hours i've been working as a scribe :/ Yikes..

I dont think its a negative if you listed it as such.

Wait so why wouldn't this still be considered okay to check it and write down the hours you worked. I already checked it and wrote down the hours i've been working as a scribe :/ Yikes..
They meant (I think) don’t check it off if you received on the job training for those positions but not a certificate. (Certain states don’t require you to have a MA license/certificate to practice so this person probably just had training but not the certificate).

So if you checked it off because you actually have a license/certificate, that would be correct.

They meant (I think) don’t check it off if you received on the job training for those positions but not a certificate. (Certain states don’t require you to have a MA license/certificate to practice so this person probably just had training but not the certificate).

So if you checked it off because you actually have a license/certificate, that would be correct.
It wasn't a certificate, it was just on the job training, welp :(

I forget, do they accept updates?
I was talking with my mom today and realized I forgot to add her as a visiting professor for one of their undergrad programs. So I have an extra connection and just wanted to add that to my file.

II! I am in-state, 3.60 cGPA, 3.48 BCPM GPA, 510 MCAT, and attended wright state for all four years of undergrad (graduated in May 2019). Completed secondary 7/20. Hopefully, I covered all the main things people ask but feel free to ask me anything else.

Reactions: 3 users
I forget, do they accept updates?
I was talking with my mom today and realized I forgot to add her as a visiting professor for one of their undergrad programs. So I have an extra connection and just wanted to add that to my file.
If you look at the portal it says you can submit an update. However, it says this may be done only one time. Feel free to reach out to them to clarify, but if you are limited to one update I would hold off on the update to see if you have anything else to tell them later in the cycle.

II! I am in-state, 3.60 cGPA, 3.48 BCPM GPA, 510 MCAT, and attended wright state for all four years of undergrad (graduated in May 2019). Completed secondary 7/20. Hopefully, I covered all the main things people ask but feel free to ask me anything else.
Congrats! What days did they give you or which ones are available? Thanks!

Congrats! What days did they give you or which ones are available? Thanks!
9/11, 9/17, 9/18, 9/25. Might have been one or two others I forget, but I cannot go back and look. I know for sure they were all in September. The 11th is most convenient for me so I chose the earliest one possible.

If you look at the portal it says you can submit an update. However, it says this may be done only one time. Feel free to reach out to them to clarify, but if you are limited to one update I would hold off on the update to see if you have anything else to tell them later in the cycle.
I don't have access to a portal, do you think it's cause you got an interview invite? Or am I just dumb lol

9/11, 9/17, 9/18, 9/25. Might have been one or two others I forget, but I cannot go back and look. I know for sure they were all in September. The 11th is most convenient for me so I chose the earliest one possible.
Sounds like more IIs are going to be sent out soon if those are the dates!!

I don't have access to a portal, do you think it's cause you got an interview invite? Or am I just dumb lol
Well, the email I got today sent me a link to the same exact portal where the secondary was filled out. So if you still have that secondary email then you should have the link to the portal I think.

Sounds like more IIs are going to be sent out soon if those are the dates!!
My friend (also undergrad here and with stats in general better than mine) also received an invite today. So, there was definitely a batch sent out this morning. Hopefully more to come soon!

My friend (also undergrad here and with stats in general better than mine) also received an invite today. So, there was definitely a batch sent out this morning. Hopefully more to come soon!
Ahh so people with connections or who went to Wright State are getting the first batch of IIs then.

Hi everyone!

I'm a current M1 here at Boonshoft. I'm out-of-state from CA, so feel free to ask about that experience, the school's curriculum, anything really! :)

I'm honestly loving it here. I previously went to an undergrad with a top-10 med school and I've been in those classes and seen the interaction between the faculty and students there... and honestly...this place really beats that. It's very one-on-one, the staff are very supportive and will check in if you've missed a class, are doing unwell, or not doing well on your exams.

You get to interact with a standardized patient on your third day of school, get to go out into the community on the second day and really see what sort of resources and healthcare access people have. Your clinical interviews are all recorded for you to review when you want. Depending on what organizations you join, you could also participate in medical Spanish classes and have it recorded on your Dean's letter for residency programs. We also have an LGBTQA school-sponsored program that teaches you how to properly ask and work with LGBTQA patients. There are just so many options. The program is very top notch and I won't be surprised if Boonshoft shoots up the "ranking" in time.

For my out-of-state people, don't fret... it's a public med school so in-state will probably get preference. However, they do even it out in the end, so all the "slots" will not be entirely in-state people. I had my interview in January...so just hang in there! A big plus is that we get in-state tuition starting our second year and that's not something many schools do.

If there's anything on your mind, just let me know. :)

Edit: The school is also very big on mental health. We have our very own psychiatrist, we have a person/outsourced mental health app that checks in us every two weeks and asks us to give a rating of how we're feeling. If you give a low rating, a real person automatically contacts you. There's another app that sends updates to your family members/loved ones regarding what topic you're studying in school and ways they could help you. Open doors at all times.

One con would be a little sloppy admin work, but tbh...that's like everywhere...and at least at Boonshoft, they are open to feedback, recognize their mistakes, and work immediately to fix it. I don't think a lot of places strive to satisfy their student body as much my lovely school does.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hi everyone!

I'm a current M1 here at Boonshoft. I'm out-of-state from CA, so feel free to ask about that experience, the school's curriculum, anything really! :)

I'm honestly loving it here. I previously went to an undergrad with a top-10 med school and I've been in those classes and seen the interaction between the faculty and students there... and honestly...this place really beats that. It's very one-on-one, the staff are very supportive and will check in if you've missed a class, are doing unwell, or not doing well on your exams.

You get to interact with a standardized patient on your third day of school, get to go out into the community on the second day and really see what sort of resources and healthcare access people have. Your clinical interviews are all recorded for you to review when you want. Depending on what organizations you join, you could also participate in medical Spanish classes and have it recorded on your Dean's letter for residency programs. We also have an LGBTQA school-sponsored program that teaches you how to properly ask and work with LGBTQA patients. There are just so many options. The program is very top notch and I won't be surprised if Boonshoft shoots up the "ranking" in time.

For my out-of-state people, don't fret... it's a public med school so in-state will probably get preference. However, they do even it out in the end, so all the "slots" will not be entirely in-state people. I had my interview in January...so just hang in there! A big plus is that we get in-state tuition starting our second year and that's not something many schools do.

Edit: The school is also very big on mental health. We have our very own psychiatrist, we have a person/outsourced mental health app that checks in us every two weeks and asks us to give a rating of how we're feeling. If you give a low rating, a real person automatically contacts you. There's another app that sends updates to your family members/loved ones regarding what topic you're studying in school and ways they could help you. Open doors at all times.

One con would be a little sloppy admin work, but tbh...that's like everywhere...and at least at Boonshoft, they are open to feedback, recognize their mistakes, and work immediately to fix it. I don't think a lot of places strive to satisfy their student body as much my lovely school does.
Hey thank you so much. This is one of my top schools. Do they tend to interview in state candidates first due to preference?

Hey thank you so much. This is one of my top schools. Do they tend to interview in state candidates first due to preference?

Yes, most likely. Don’t quote me on that, though. They might do out-of-state students who went to high school in Ohio or if they have many family members in the area.

Hi everyone!

How would you describe the class dynamic? Because so many WSU undergrads are commuters, there seems to be less school spirit and camaraderie then other universities. So, I am curious how boonshoft compares. Also, do you have general interview advice or perspective on what the school is really about that I should thinking about?

Last edited:
Hi friends! Also a current M1 at BSOM. Looks like a few of my classmates have jumped in already, but I just wanted to make myself available for questions as well. Like @pshhh, I am also OOS as are many of our classmates, so hang in there if that's you.

Absolutely loving this school so far. Our curriculum has recently undergone a major facelift making us 100% lecture free. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm loving the learning style. Our class time is based around peer learning and collaboration with incorporated clinical cases and board style questions. I never want to go back to lectures!! We're also getting early exposure to interviewing and physical exam skills- volunteer and simulated patients come in almost weekly allowing us to practice interviews/exams!

Additionally, as has been said before, the community is highly collaborative. Everyone in our class is encouraging and supportive, and we share resources that we come across individually. Medical school is hard enough as is, and its great to be in an environment where is feels like faculty and classmates have your back.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users