2019-2020 Wright State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooo...

Did you or your family overcome a significant economic hardship?

Does this mean like bankruptcy, job loss, or like significant financial event? I'm first gen immigrant and basically we managed low income but were always stable til my dad became a nurse (3 years ago) so idrk what to put

Members don't see this ad.

What is defined as a "connection"?
i.e. how close does this have to be.
I have family in Ohio but also wondering if to add friend - Like a super close friend.

Sooo...

Does this mean like bankruptcy, job loss, or like significant financial event? I'm first gen immigrant and basically we managed low income but were always stable til my dad became a nurse (3 years ago) so idrk what to put

I didn't really know what to put for this either but thought of it as more significant like job loss, bankruptcy, major debt. I'm also 1st gen with very little parent contribution but no federal grants from fafsa since I had to add my parent's info but I put N/A for this question. I did mention it under the extenuating circumstances though since I had to work a lot during undergrad and it slightly affected my science GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
What is defined as a "connection"?
i.e. how close does this have to be.
I have family in Ohio but also wondering if to add friend - Like a super close friend.
I would definitely mention both the family and friend, especially if that means you've visited there!

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm kindof paranoid about going into any sections in the portal right now cause my internet keeps going out. Can you really only enter the pre-req and competency sections once? That strikes me as a little odd but I don't want to risk it...can anybody confirm that's how it works?

So I'm kindof paranoid about going into any sections in the portal right now cause my internet keeps going out. Can you really only enter the pre-req and competency sections once? That strikes me as a little odd but I don't want to risk it...can anybody confirm that's how it works?
Yeah, once you hit complete that's it. But also it's actually a pretty cool way they've done it! They pull your ECs for the competencies portion and your classes from the transcripts for the prerequisites.

Following up on what dr.batman said, once you hit complete you're done, but there is a home and an arrow button at the top left if you scroll the whole way to the top. You can view things and back out. But don't hit complete until you're really sure.
Ooooooh so I can enter the portal thing without fear koolio

Received an email of completion this morning

I didn't really know what to put for this either but thought of it as more significant like job loss, bankruptcy, major debt. I'm also 1st gen with very little parent contribution but no federal grants from fafsa since I had to add my parent's info but I put N/A for this question. I did mention it under the extenuating circumstances though since I had to work a lot during undergrad and it slightly affected my science GPA

I called and they said it can be either/or. event or general life struggle.

second thing is that while on the phone, they told me its meant to be academic year for that repeated question.

Could someone confirm what all the competencies are? My computer went on the fritz and I'm worried one of the competency categories was deleted.

The competencies I have are: service orientation, leadership, research experience, teaching or tutoring, cultural competence, and clinical experience.

Am I missing one?

Members don't see this ad :)
No verification email that I've submitted my application?

It took me a day to get a completion email
Is the complete email you're talking about the one saying they have received your secondaries and competencies activities and with the bolded "your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview"? Or did you get another email after that one actually saying your application was complete?

Is the complete email you're talking about the one saying they have received your secondaries and competencies activities and with the bolded "your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview"? Or did you get another email after that one actually saying your application was complete?
I submitted 7/18 and immediately received the email you mentioned ("We have received your Secondary Application and competencies activities. Your application will be marked complete after the all letters of recommendations have been received, if your letters of recommendation are already complete, your application will automatically be moved forward as application complete.") I don't think there'll be any other one confirming.

Anybody else having an issue with the prerequisites section? Every time i click on any of the course types, none of my transcript classes show up so I can match them? all of my transcripts are in and marked as received

Anyone else not received even a primary confirmation?

For the research experience competency, the description says "work or volunteer in a research lab." If I did public health research at a clinic, but not in a lab, should I include it for this competency?

For the research experience competency, the description says "work or volunteer in a research lab." If I did public health research at a clinic, but not in a lab, should I include it for this competency?
Was the research monitored by some sort of research board like an IRB? Did you have to do research compliance training? Did your project have a PI that was registered with the IRB of the institution/group? If yes = research. If no, and you were doing something like literature reviews to give to your supervisor, that's not the research they're talking about.

Was the research monitored by some sort of research board like an IRB? Did you have to do research compliance training? Did your project have a PI that was registered with the IRB of the institution/group? If yes = research. If no, and you were doing something like literature reviews to give to your supervisor, that's not the research they're talking about.

Yes, it was an IRB-approved research project. Thanks for your help!

Anyone else not received even a primary confirmation?

Same thing here. I submitted my AMCAS the second day it was open for the cycle, so I'm not exactly sure what the hold up could be. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Same thing here. I submitted my AMCAS the second day it was open for the cycle, so I'm not exactly sure what the hold up could be. Has this happened to anyone else?
I never received a primary confirmation before my secondary (received 7/18)

So my competencies section is missing an activity (shadowing).... I know for a fact I put it in my AMCAS and when I log into AMCAS, all the activities are there on both the app page and the verified PDF. Yet on Wright state’s secondary, it’s not there.

I contacted both orgs. Wright state says contact AMCAS, AMCAS says contact wright state. They’ve now both ghosted me on the issue after a week. Should I be concerned that my activities aren’t being sent accurately to other schools?

Yes, it was an IRB-approved research project. Thanks for your help!

Oh well for me on this one...I had clinical that I put down but it did not meet that standard...doh!

How strict are they on their prerequisite requirements? They are asking for 3 quarters of orgo with labs and 2 quarters of biochemistry. I have two quarters of orgo, 1 quarter of orgo lab, 1 quarter of biochemistry and 1 quarter of biochem lab

How strict are they on their prerequisite requirements? They are asking for 3 quarters of orgo with labs and 2 quarters of biochemistry. I have two quarters of orgo, 1 quarter of orgo lab, 1 quarter of biochemistry and 1 quarter of biochem lab
+1 Although they also translate it into 2 semesters with labs, which is how my school did it. There was only one semester of orgo lab that was offered though but it was 2 credits instead of 1. If someone finds out about please this let us know lol.

+1 Although they also translate it into 2 semesters with labs, which is how my school did it. There was only one semester of orgo lab that was offered though but it was 2 credits instead of 1. If someone finds out about please this let us know lol.

If your school only offered one semester of organic chemistry lab, then that would be acceptable. Here is the email I got from the admission committee at Wright:

"Since your program only offers one semester of Organic chemistry lab, we will accept the two courses of Organic chem and one lab to fulfill our requirement. "

I just added this school so bear with me. I don't really know if I'm technically viewed as a non-trad. I decided on med school during senior year of college so I had to take a year off to finish up all the prereqs, take the MCAT, etc. Should I consider myself a non-trad for this reason?

I just added this school so bear with me. I don't really know if I'm technically viewed as a non-trad. I decided on med school during senior year of college so I had to take a year off to finish up all the prereqs, take the MCAT, etc. Should I consider myself a non-trad for this reason?

If you’re just taking 1 year off then I would say no, because sooo many people take gap years nowadays. For instance I didn’t say I was a non-trad, and by the time I matriculate (hopefully) it will have been 2 years since I graduated. But it’s kind of up to how you personally decide to define “non-trad”

If you’re just taking 1 year off then I would say no, because sooo many people take gap years nowadays. For instance I didn’t say I was a non-trad, and by the time I matriculate (hopefully) it will have been 2 years since I graduated. But it’s kind of up to how you personally decide to define “non-trad”
I technically would be taking 2 years too (graduated in 2018, hopefully matriculating in 2020). I think I'm going to use the space to explain it a little bit because I haven't been preparing since freshman year for med school, so my ECs aren't up to par with some other applicants.

I would ONE HUNDRED PERCENT list yourself as non-trad. The indication of you knowing you wanted to be physician later than most and waiting til you felt ready and competitive to apply shows maturity versus a senior takin a year after to "volunteer and follow your passion for research" listed as future activities.

I think nontrad is formed in terms of decision. Someone who spends all years of college doing premed and then taking 2 gap years to build resume ec etc is not nontrad, but someone who changed majors their junior year and now starts from a delayed position should be indicated

I would ONE HUNDRED PERCENT list yourself as non-trad. The indication of you knowing you wanted to be physician later than most and waiting til you felt ready and competitive to apply shows maturity versus a senior takin a year after to "volunteer and follow your passion for research" listed as future activities.

I think nontrad is formed in terms of decision. Someone who spends all years of college doing premed and then taking 2 gap years to build resume ec etc is not nontrad, but someone who changed majors their junior year and now starts from a delayed position should be indicated
Wow, thank you so much for this! I'll definitely be utilizing that space to explain myself a little more :)

• Love
Was I dumb for applying here OOS with no ties? Feels like I have no chance while I go through the secondary putting "N/A, N/A, N/A" haha

Was I dumb for applying here OOS with no ties? Feels like I have no chance while I go through the secondary putting "N/A, N/A, N/A" haha

I’m OOS too! It looks like a fairly OOS friendly school to me. On MSAR, 45% of last year’s class weren’t Ohio residents. Guess we’ll see what happens, good luck!

I’m OOS too! It looks like a fairly OOS friendly school to me. On MSAR, 45% of last year’s class weren’t Ohio residents. Guess we’ll see what happens, good luck!

That was exactly my thinking, but I'm not too confident lol. Thanks for the encouragement!

Does anyone know if they have a high benchmark for expected volunteer hours like Rush or anything like that?

That was exactly my thinking, but I'm not too confident lol. Thanks for the encouragement!

Does anyone know if they have a high benchmark for expected volunteer hours like Rush or anything like that?
I know they're mission-oriented but I don't think anywhere is quite like rush for their target hours

I know they're mission-oriented but I don't think anywhere is quite like rush for their target hours

Mission-oriented being that they heavily favor community service? Honestly unlike other schools it's unclear from their mission statement.

Mission-oriented being that they heavily favor community service? Honestly unlike other schools it's unclear from their mission statement.

Wait are you saying each school has a different mission statement? :eek:

lol irk doesn't even seem that way half the time...

Yes, it reminds me of the fake secondary thread on Reddit

"Please use the following space to fabricate an interest in rural medicine"

I am working on the secondary prequesite section, and the instructions say "please match any classes that fulfill the prequisites below."

Does that mean I throw every biology course I've taken that had an associated lab?

I submitted more than 5 business days ago but never got a confirmation email???

When was the first II sent out last year?
Am trying to search through the thread