2019-2020 Wright State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi friends! Also a current M1 at BSOM. Looks like a few of my classmates have jumped in already, but I just wanted to make myself available for questions as well. Like @pshhh, I am also OOS as are many of our classmates, so hang in there if that's you.

Absolutely loving this school so far. Our curriculum has recently undergone a major facelift making us 100% lecture free. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm loving the learning style. Our class time is based around peer learning and collaboration with incorporated clinical cases and board style questions. I never want to go back to lectures!! We're also getting early exposure to interviewing and physical exam skills- volunteer and simulated patients come in almost weekly allowing us to practice interviews/exams!

Additionally, as has been said before, the community is highly collaborative. Everyone in our class is encouraging and supportive, and we share resources that we come across individually. Medical school is hard enough as is, and its great to be in an environment where is feels like faculty and classmates have your back.

If you remember, when did you receive an II as a OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know we can provide updates to the school. There are three types of updates and it says that it's a ONE-TIME thing. Do we have to upload all three types at one time? Or do they mean that we can do three types of updates, each only one time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today. I view Boonshoft very positively after today. They made it so easy to be relaxed and I liked their peer instruction and team-based learning curriculum they described. Two open-file, one on one interviews, which are 45min-1hr each. The first guy said he did not want to read my file and he just asked me about what I did throughout college. Basically I just had a conversation with him about every single extracurricular I have done and my upbringing. My second interviewer and I talked about snowboarding and soccer 75% of the time. He actually read my file so he said he just wanted to see what I was like and my out of school interests. I feel that both of them just wanted to get to know me, it was as low stress as humanly possible. The students seemed genuinely happy, random students always said hi to us, and wished us good luck. The vibe was pretty good the entire day. Feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed today. I view Boonshoft very positively after today. They made it so easy to be relaxed and I liked their peer instruction and team-based learning curriculum they described. Two open-file, one on one interviews, which are 45min-1hr each. The first guy said he did not want to read my file and he just asked me about what I did throughout college. Basically I just had a conversation with him about every single extracurricular I have done and my upbringing. My second interviewer and I talked about snowboarding and soccer 75% of the time. He actually read my file so he said he just wanted to see what I was like and my out of school interests. I feel that both of them just wanted to get to know me, it was as low stress as humanly possible. The students seemed genuinely happy, random students always said hi to us, and wished us good luck. The vibe was pretty good the entire day. Feel free to ask questions.
Are you IS or OOS?

Are you IS or OOS?
I am in state and the other four people interviewing today were also in state. I did not ask and I cannot say with certainty, but I would not be surprised if they give invites to in state people first. I and one other person interviewing today also attending Wright State as undergrads.

Reactions: 1 user
How would you describe the class dynamic? Because so many WSU undergrads are commuters, there seems to be less school spirit and camaraderie then other universities. So, I am curious how boonshoft compares. Also, do you have general interview advice or perspective on what the school is really about that I should thinking about?

All the classes at BSOM are really close. The entire first week was basically a huge party when everyone got the chance to know each other and gel together. We had a class obstacle course, pool party, etc. I know WSU is a commuter campus but we are pretty much our own thing aside from the undergrad. We have a class groupme where we all post events, study tips, etc. Plus people are always chilling out or studying together at school before or after class.

My best interview tip is to not prepare. Lol, what I mean by that is just relax. The adcom is really big on selecting people who will be great at communicating with their patients, so just treat it like if you were chatting in a coffee shop with a friend. The first interviewer was an ER doc and I remember I was so intimidated by that, but she literally came in and just right off the bat started talking about her kids and a parent teacher conference she has to have. So, what I'm saying is just go with the flow and be conversational. Don't be afraid to be real. Nobody wants to hear the generic canned speech about why you want to be a doctor. In my second interview, I talked a lot about how I want to host parties to bring the class together and I honestly think that stood out a lot more than the achievements in my application. Now of course, be professional about it but just be real.

This school is all about producing compassionate, community-oriented physicians. So show your empathetic personality, listen well, and smile because we also like to have fun along the way.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh and also I think they mostly interview IS applicants for the first few months. I didn't get an II until December something

Reactions: 2 users
Oh and also I think they mostly interview IS applicants for the first few months. I didn't get an II until December something
Did you submit an update prior to receiving an II?

Did you submit an update prior to receiving an II?

Nah. It’s probably too early for that right now anyway. I’m not sure how the ad com goes about updates but I don’t think it would make much of a difference unless if it’s something substantial. I would just wait it out and enjoy your time off! Maybe save updates/desperation for January.

So, I know there is a lot of curiosity. If you are in-state, they have probably given away most of the interview slots at this point in time. As people get accepted to other places, it is likely that more interview slots will open up, but at that point it will probably go to out-of-state students. I'm not in the admission committee, but that's what it sounded like when I inquired about it.

So, I know there is a lot of curiosity. If you are in-state, they have probably given away most of the interview slots at this point in time. As people get accepted to other places, it is likely that more interview slots will open up, but at that point it will probably go to out-of-state students. I'm not in the admission committee, but that's what it sounded like when I inquired about it.

Wow that’s pretty depressing to hear. I figured I’d be considered a great applicant here given my stats and the fact I’ve lived in Dayton my entire life on top of going to college in the area.

Wow that’s pretty depressing to hear. I figured I’d be considered a great applicant here given my stats and the fact I’ve lived in Dayton my entire life on top of going to college in the area.
Yeah I've been an Ohio resident for majority of my life and have gone to 2 Ohio schools (undergrad and grad school). My stats are decent but ECs are great! Thought I'd have a chance... kind of rude to say otherwise not being in med admissions and it still being early in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said... not in admissions committee but it’s a close knit community, so we talk to the staff. Don’t shoot the messenger. The school already has over 7000 applications and the cycle is not even over. 120 seats is all they have. But, this is an annual thing and considering I got an interview in January, I wouldn’t give up hope. Don’t mistake a “word of mouth” update as an official “we’re not taking you.” Nothing is ever final.
The cycle is definitely depressing. There are thousands of students who are just as good or even better than you, and the process as taken from the words of a staff member “is completely and truly more random than anything I have ever experienced.” However, if this profession is all you want in life, never give up hope; keep working hard, keep interviewing, keep applying. Every school will want resilient and humble people.

Reactions: 4 users
If the cycle is like last year, they probably will begin to offer OOS IIs now but that doesn’t mean IS is over. In my interview in January, it was about half and half IS/OOS. I have not talked to the adcom though.

Reactions: 2 users
If the cycle is like last year, they probably will begin to offer OOS IIs now but that doesn’t mean IS is over. In my interview in January, it was about half and half IS/OOS. I have not talked to the adcom though.

Precisely! Trust the process! :)

And that's all I meant by my comment was that just because OOS is going to get II doesn't mean IS will no longer be able to get them. Wright State is a 70-30 school. My mom is a guest professor here and like I said I've lived in Ohio most my life and still do.

Can someone PM me the secondary link? I can't find my email anymore and I think I accidentally deleted it.

II! Complete 8/13! OOS, URM, also very non-trad

• Love
On the secondary, there is a topic that states

"Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances which you believe are pertinent to your application (i.e. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events). If none, please enter N/A. (500 Characters)"

Would describing a motivation to serve underserved communities be appropriate here?
No.

Ok Thanks, so what would be appropriate in addressing the "life events" portion of this prompt?
They’re asking whether circumstances such as a sudden illness or a family death contributed to an outlier quartet/semester where you got bad grades or an unexpected MCAT score. Not whether an activity or event inspired your application in the first place.

It only has a 500 character limit for a reason. Short and sweet if applicable.

Ok Thanks, so what would be appropriate in addressing the "life events" portion of this prompt?
Some kind of event that might explain some outstanding irregularities in your application (lapses in continuity of education, low GPA, etc)

Got an interview today! submitted 7/22, IS. I don't know if it meant anything but I had just emailed the admissions committee yesterday to see if they had gotten all my letters.

I am in state and the other four people interviewing today were also in state. I did not ask and I cannot say with certainty, but I would not be surprised if they give invites to in state people first. I and one other person interviewing today also attending Wright State as undergrads.

They only have 5 people per interview day???? I’ve never heard of such a low number.

They only have 5 people per interview day???? I’ve never heard of such a low number.
There's usually more... As I recall, there were about 8-10 in mine. It's kept very personal.

Hey everybody,
I'm an OOS applicant here and was wondering, if sending my primary would be worth it at this time or is it too late? Thank you all so much and best of luck to all of you in this process!!! ..... :)

Hey everybody,
I'm an OOS applicant here and was wondering, if sending my primary would be worth it at this time or is it too late? Thank you all so much and best of luck to all of you in this process!!! ..... :)
Pretty late to send anywhere, however if you are an EDP candidate that didn't make it, I'd shoot your shot to send it

Hey everybody,

I agree it’s late but I think this school is a bit different. I know people who applied this late (or later) last year and I know people who were pulled from the waitlist in June so I would definitely submit.

How does the letter of interest/update link in the application work? It says it is a one time activity, so once I open and submit something, I can't submit another? For instance, if I submit a letter of interest now, can I send an update with new GPA, publication progress, and service hours in December?

How does the letter of interest/update link in the application work? It says it is a one time activity, so once I open and submit something, I can't submit another? For instance, if I submit a letter of interest now, can I send an update with new GPA, publication progress, and service hours in December?
I feel like it's too early for a letter of interest

All the schools know we are interested since we applied to their school. And I highly doubt they would believe any of us if we say we are interested in ONLY their school. Letter of interests are pointless.

All the schools know we are interested since we applied to their school. And I highly doubt they would believe any of us if we say we are interested in ONLY their school. Letter of interests are pointless.

Perhaps send an update letter and weave in your interest within letter. But I think it might be too early for an update.
I’m sure more II will be sent out in Oct and Nov

II yesterday! OOS. But did a postbac in cleveland, OH.

Reactions: 3 users
When would you guys say is the best time time/month to send an update of a new activity to Wright State as an out of state applicant? I know they start looking at OOS later in the cycle, so just trying to gauge when i should submit a new activity? Thanks!