2019-2020 Florida State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you know it’s full? I mean I assumed it was but did they say something
I am just assuming it is full. I do not know for a fact, but it seems like it, so it is what I am trying to prepare myself for. Cause it seems like waitlist movement is happening really slowly. Classes start in less than 2 weeks, so I am assuiming if it was not full, there would be lots of waitlist movement to try to fill up the class as soon as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
I am just assuming it is full. I do not know for a fact, but it seems like it, so it is what I am trying to prepare myself for. Cause it seems like waitlist movement is happening really slowly. Classes start in less than 2 weeks, so I am assuiming if it was not full, there would be lots of waitlist movement to try to fill up the class as soon as possible.
When do classes start? Bc I only can find last years calendar.
Also maybe I’m delusional but I would think the quarantine kinda slowed things down this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do classes start? Bc I only can find last years calendar.
Also maybe I’m delusional but I would think the quarantine kinda slowed things down this cycle.
On the website it says orientation is on May 26 and May 27, 2020, and that classes start May 28, 2020. And I'm not sure to what extent quarantine would slow things down. Because we are given a score on the wait list right?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the website it says orientation is on May 26 and May 27, 2020, and that classes start May 28, 2020. And I'm not sure to what extent quarantine would slow things down. Because we are given a score on the wait list right?
I mean our interviewers and the admission staff would probably have to meet to discuss us. At least that’s how the letter I got made it sound. It’s not easy to coordinate that. But I’m probably just lying to myself bc I don’t want to do next years apps

I mean our interviewers and the admission staff would probably have to meet to discuss us. At least that’s how the letter I got made it sound. It’s not easy to coordinate that. But I’m probably just lying to myself bc I don’t want to do next years apps
I'm in the same boat as you. I hope that's whats going on!

Oops.
Called admissions and they said that orientation is “online Tuesday-Thursday.”
I think they’re swamped with the graduation of the class of 2020 and bringing in the class of 2024.
pray for ‘Em bro’s. Hell, pray for AMERICA, this COVID 19 shenanigans is screwing up everything.
Summer semester is all online and they aren’t sure if fall semester will be as well.
They will try to notify all on the waitlist before classes start.

Reactions: 1 users
Oops.
Called admissions and they said that orientation is “online Tuesday-Thursday.”
I think they’re swamped with the graduation of the class of 2020 and bringing in the class of 2024.
pray for ‘Em bro’s. Hell, pray for AMERICA, this COVID 19 shenanigans is screwing up everything.
Summer semester is all online and they aren’t sure if fall semester will be as well.
They will try to notify all on the waitlist before classes start.
I mean they kinda messed up. Interviews finished in early April. They’ve had over a month to get this all in order. It’s also literally form email and they’ve already rejected and accepted ppl. I’m not gonna pray for an admission committee that has no respect for me

I mean they kinda messed up. Interviews finished in early April. They’ve had over a month to get this all in order. It’s also literally form email and they’ve already rejected and accepted ppl. I’m not gonna pray for an admission committee that has no respect for me

Okay... don’t pray then. Go to DO school and join the anti MD rebellion. You do you fam.

Let's just remember that as future doctors we all have to practice understanding and patience. We are all going through hard times. For us waitlist folks it may seem harder, but we are all human. We can only hope for the best and handle what is in our control. Everyone deserves prayer (if that's what you believe in) not just those who "respect" you. Stay strong. It's a lot of us in this together.

Yes! This global crisis has left NONE of us untouched. Im so grateful for still being considered, and honestly, I don't get the vibe that the committee doesn't respect us. Everyone is just overwhelmed from navigating this strange time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck this week everyone! Hopefully we'll hear something.

• Love
Here is some info I gather form the general emails all the current medical students are getting
-Information given to administration is changing daily. As a result it has been difficult to make plans for the incoming class. The Deans have still been hoping for some sort of in-person deal, but it is looking like FSU at large won't start back until fall, so expect the kind of modified class experience the rest of us have had since March
-In many ways, the COM has been held hostage by the NBME and testing centers, causing a clog for rising 4th and 3rd years that has trickled down. This is also making it difficult to disseminate information, since morning emails often contradict information from the previous day. The Deans are trying to distribute intel once things are firmed up
-From what I hear in rumors, your normal summer anatomy will probably be swapped with other course work and you'll do anatomy at a later block

As far as rejection letters, since FSU starts earlier than other medical schools, I don't think they will send it out until maybe after orientation. I know a student last year who got an acceptance on a Friday and orientation happened the following Tuesday.

Hope this info helps at all

Here is some info I gather form the general emails all the current medical students are getting
-Information given to administration is changing daily. As a result it has been difficult to make plans for the incoming class. The Deans have still been hoping for some sort of in-person deal, but it is looking like FSU at large won't start back until fall, so expect the kind of modified class experience the rest of us have had since March
-In many ways, the COM has been held hostage by the NBME and testing centers, causing a clog for rising 4th and 3rd years that has trickled down. This is also making it difficult to disseminate information, since morning emails often contradict information from the previous day. The Deans are trying to distribute intel once things are firmed up
-From what I hear in rumors, your normal summer anatomy will probably be swapped with other course work and you'll do anatomy at a later block

As far as rejection letters, since FSU starts earlier than other medical schools, I don't think they will send it out until maybe after orientation. I know a student last year who got an acceptance on a Friday and orientation happened the following Tuesday.

Hope this info helps at all
Thank you for sharing ! I called the school a few weeks ago, and back then they did comfirm that anatomy would be swapped out of summer and would happen at a later time.

Do you know if classes for the incoming class of 2024 will start on time (May 28) or will it be pushed back to start at a later time?

From what someone said earlier in this post, pre II rejections already started to go out, so do you know if they are still pulling people off the waitlist to fill the class?

Thanks again for sharing :) any information really helps with planning.

Thank you for sharing ! I called the school a few weeks ago, and back then they did comfirm that anatomy would be swapped out of summer and would happen at a later time.

Do you know if classes for the incoming class of 2024 will start on time (May 28) or will it be pushed back to start at a later time?

From what someone said earlier in this post, pre II rejections already started to go out, so do you know if they are still pulling people off the waitlist to fill the class?

Thanks again for sharing :) any information really helps with planning.

Hey! Your classes will still begin on May 26th (required orientation is from the 26th-29th, so the class begins right at that following Monday).

They can pull people off the waitlist as late as this Friday as mentioned by the poster above, which really sucks but they help you a lot during the quick transition.

And yes, your anatomy class is being pushed till August, so you begin the summer with the second foundations of medicine course :)

An upside of things being online over the summer is that it makes getting off the WL late much less anxiety-provoking. From my understanding, students are not required to relocate to Tallahassee tentatively until the fall. There are some upsides to this whole rona thang!

Reactions: 1 user
Alright everybody, it’s been fun. I’m going to start next year’s application tomorrow. I thought I had a really good chance after a great interview, but after interviewing in April the waitlist hasn’t made too much movement sadly. I hope to see everyone here next year or in next years class together

Alright everybody, it’s been fun. I’m going to start next year’s application tomorrow. I thought I had a really good chance after a great interview, but after interviewing in April the waitlist hasn’t made too much movement sadly. I hope to see everyone here next year or in next years class together
i know this process is so hard :( there is still time though for WL movement to happen!
One thing I will say though, for any re-applicants, during my interview Dr. laywell said That If anyone needs to reapply to make sure your application looks different from the previous cycle’s application because he takes both applications side by side and if they aren’t different then he stops looking at your application right there

i know this process is so hard :( there is still time though for WL movement to happen!
One thing I will say though, for any re-applicants, during my interview Dr. laywell said That If anyone needs to reapply to make sure your application looks different from the previous cycle’s application because he takes both applications side by side and if they aren’t different then he stops looking at your application right there

Thanks for letting us know. That sucks though... I had a really awesome essay that now I have to totally re-write just for the sake of not being the same as last year?

Thanks for letting us know. That sucks though... I had a really awesome essay that now I have to totally re-write just for the sake of not being the same as last year?
Ugh I’m sorry and honestly I don’t know and I don’t want to give you false information, especially if you feel like your essay was really strong. I think dr. Laywell is really nice and receptive and Maybe if you Email him and say something along the lines of that you felt like your essay was strong if you keep it the same will that be bad? Idk! Maybe if you re-work a lot of your other stuff on your application then you can leave the essay the way it is

Also, it probably doesn’t have to be totally different or re-written! I got the impression that they want to see that you’re critically evaluating yourself and doing everything you can to get in, so to tweak your applications to show that you’re not just re-submitting the same exact thing 2 years in a row. Maybe some re applicants can give you some advice on what worked for them

Not sure how helpful this is for everyone but this is what they said when I asked them about my application status yesterday

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for your interest in the FSU College of Medicine! The decision was made to place the applicant on hold and no offer of acceptance or notice of non-acceptance is made. Final decisions of acceptance or non-acceptance will be made by early June. At the end of each cycle, applicants on the Hold list may be offered acceptance as withdrawals occur.'

Just got my rejection! Still going to DO school and really excited. Good luck everyone
Thank you for letting us know! Good luck at DO school. If you don't mind sharing, were you on the waitlist or was it pre II rejection?

Thank you for letting us know! Good luck at DO school. If you don't mind sharing, were you on the waitlist or was it pre II rejection?
waitlist! i went to undergrad there too and wrote 2 letters of intent so it is what it is

Well...its been fun ya'll. Still haven't heard anything. See you next application cycle.

I know orientation starts this week, but do you guys think there is still possibility for some waitlist movement?

I know orientation starts this week, but do you guys think there is still possibility for some waitlist movement?

Always a possibility, but it is best to move forward so everything is on time for the following year's application. If it happens, great. If not, you're still prepared. They postponed the "data transmission to medical schools" till July 10th so take advantage.

I still haven't heard anything, at this point I feel like waitlist movement is extremely unlikely however there's no harm in holding onto a little bit of hope! The next application cycle is already here so I'm focusing on that :) good luck to everyone still waiting/reapplying

Can an accepted student confirm if the class is full/if they mentioned anything about WL movement in the orientation?

Can an accepted student confirm if the class is full/if they mentioned anything about WL movement in the orientation?
Yes, the class is full. They did not mention anything about the WL, but they said this year they made the lowest amount of acceptance offers (only 147 or something like that). Best luck to you <3

I did too and I don’t know if finding out they accepted less students this year should make me feel better or worse.