2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first II! Complete on 7/8. 3.61 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 509 MCAT.

Also, I submitted my secondary three weeks after receiving it cause I'm an idiot (they say in the secondary invite that you're supposed to submit within two weeks). So, if you're past the two-week deadline, don't give up. :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an II yesterday

Edit:OOS

Reactions: 1 user
My first II! Complete on 7/8. 3.61 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 509 MCAT.

Also, I submitted my secondary three weeks after receiving it cause I'm an idiot (they say in the secondary invite that you're supposed to submit within two weeks). So, if you're past the two-week deadline, don't give up. :rofl:

When you submitted late, did you let them know? Tomorrow is my 3wk mark and I'm wondering if I should call them

My AACOMAS was verified/sent with all materials on Aug 8th, but I still haven't received the secondary. Is this normal/how long should I expect to wait before receiving it (if at all)?

Stats: ~3.4 undergrad sGPA, 4.0 SMP (done in Texas), 520 MCAT

I'm really interested in the school but I'm wondering if I submitted too late :( Anyone else still waiting on their secondary?
You didn’t submit too late at all. It just takes time and you have a lot of it until you need to be worried. You’ll have several options at the end of the cycle with your stats!

My AACOMAS was verified/sent with all materials on Aug 8th, but I still haven't received the secondary. Is this normal/how long should I expect to wait before receiving it (if at all)?

I'm really interested in the school but I'm wondering if I submitted too late :( Anyone else still waiting on their secondary?

Nope, you are still considered early for DO. With those stats, you should have no problem getting in.

I didn't receive my secondary until a month after I submitted my primary. It took about 5 weeks after my secondary was submitted to receive an II. You have awesome stats, so I wouldn't worry.

When you submitted late, did you let them know? Tomorrow is my 3wk mark and I'm wondering if I should call them
I did send them an email asking if my application had already been withdrawn after I submitted it. I got no response, though.

I don’t think it would hurt to give them a call or shoot them an email. I’ve found that most schools that mention a two-week deadline don’t really view it as a hard deadline.

Just got an II!
IS Applicant, LM 67
Application complete 06/27

Members don't see this ad :)
II today. OOS. October 18. Anyone looking to split an air bnb

Any luck applying out of state to this school if I have sub-500 MCAT and 3.9 GPA?

Any luck applying out of state to this school if I have sub-500 MCAT and 3.9 GPA?

You should be fine. The school is private so I dont think they have an instate preference like the other texas schools. You should be competitive for the school with your stats.

Hey guys! OMS-III here. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me and I'll try to get around to answer them.

There are a variety of apartments within 1 mile of campus (The Kennedy, Aviator, Landings, Legacy Brooks, etc.). Additionally, some students choose to live farther away (20-30 minute drive) because there isn't much in the area around campus but there is a lot of new construction that is ongoing.

They haven’t released any data about COMLEX or USMLE because the entire class has not taken COMLEX yet

Where do you guys do 3rd and 4th year rotations?

It’s going to be different for future classes but for the inaugural class 8 students were assigned to rotate in Laredo and the rest are in San Antonio in the Baptist, Methodist, or Christus hospital systems. They mentioned that future classes would have students at Kerville, Corpus Christi, and Abilene.

Last edited:
For anyone who has been offered an interview invite, have you received any further correspondence regarding the interview ? In the confirmation email, it stated that we would receive additional information closer to the interview date. Mine is 8/23/19 .

For anyone who has been offered an interview invite, have you received any further correspondence regarding the interview ? In the confirmation email, it stated that we would receive additional information closer to the interview date. Mine is 8/23/19 .
You've waited patiently, now I think you can call admissions and ask "Could you please send me instructions and information for my interview day on August 23rd?" Good luck!

Nope and I'm interviewing the same day.

ESIT: just got the email

Last edited:
Is there a good chance of admission with an II?
Well obviously lots of things to consider but based on the II to accepted ratio, it was in the 65% neighborhood for last year's cycle (don't have the raw numbers on me).

Reactions: 2 users
I'm interviewing on 10/11! How quickly do they let you know if you're accepted/rejected?

I'm interviewing on 10/11! How quickly do they let you know if you're accepted/rejected?
They estimated approximately 3 weeks after your interview.

Hey guys! OMS-III here. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me and I'll try to get around to answer them.

Do you have any friends at other schools with different teaching styles? I recently interviewed at UIWSOM and was able to speak with Evan. He mentioned the benefits of the PBL style giving you more time to focus on your weak point instead of having to sit through lectures in lecture based learning. How do you like PBL and how did you feel it prepared you for the COMPLEX?

Just touched down in San Antonio! I've never been to Texas before so I'm super excited! I'm staying at the Riverwalk, don't know if anyone else interviewing tomorrow wants to do anything. Feel free to message me!

Just touched down in San Antonio! I've never been to Texas before so I'm super excited! I'm staying at the Riverwalk, don't know if anyone else interviewing tomorrow wants to do anything. Feel free to message me!
Good luck!

I was complete 7/12 and no II yet. I have a 3.7 and a 501. Should I assume I’m rejected?

I was complete 7/12 and no II yet. I have a 3.7 and a 501. Should I assume I’m rejected?
You should consider yourself rejected when you get a rejection email. You're still in the game right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed today.... SUPER fun! I had read a lot of comments stating that everyone was really nice and wanted you to be relaxed, but I was skeptical. Today clearly demonstrated that they really care about their students and those who are applying to their program. It was really good for my first interview!

Reactions: 9 users
Interviewed today.... SUPER fun! I had read a lot of comments stating that everyone was really nice and wanted you to be relaxed, but I was skeptical. Today clearly demonstrated that they really care about their students and those who are applying to their program. It was really good for my first interview!
Same, was really impressed by the student body, faculty, and overall hospitality of the school. Everyone was super friendly and easy to talk too.

What time did the interview end ?

The interview itself ended around 2:45pm, but they have a presentation, Q&A, tour, and dinner before the end of the day. I left the campus around 6:15pm

Do you have the option of leaving one of those events early ?

Do you have the option of leaving one of those events early ?
There were a lot of opportunities for us to sit with current OMS-IIs and OMS-IIIs (the OMS-IIIs had didactics in the afternoon so could only join for dinner), which was really nice because you could hear the opinion of those who are both still on campus and those who are out in the clinics on rotations. So, I would highly recommend staying for most of it because you wouldn't have as many opportunities to talk to currently students, but there were a lot of people who had departing flights so they skipped the dinner. The dinner was the only really disorganized part because there was no true conclusion to the day and I felt weird leaving so I waited for other people to start leaving before I left.

Last edited:
How are y’all preparing for the MMI style interview?
This is literally my favourite question and I'll explain why: you can't. There is no way you can prepare for the questions they will ask. I recommend checking out BeMo Academic Consulting on YouTube because they have some good introductory videos and some practice prompts. But, honestly, I would suggest focusing on knowing your application and knowing about the school you're interviewing at. When it comes to MMI, the situations vary so widely that it really is difficult to study for. Just be yourself and take the time to think through the prompts! The whole process, at UIWSOM, is nothing to stress over!