2020-2021 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! interviewed 3/22

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm an ORM, TX resident. Any pointers/advice on what makes a competitive applicant for this school?

Y’all hang in there. The cycle ain’t over yet. I just got accepted to a school I thought I wasted my money applying to. I’m gonna withdraw my acceptance to UIWSOM and hope it goes to one of y’all. It ain’t over until its over. Stay positive.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y’all hang in there. The cycle ain’t over yet. I just got accepted to a school I thought I wasted my money applying to. I’m gonna withdraw my acceptance to UIWSOM and hope it goes to one of y’all. It ain’t over until its over. Stay positive.
Completely agree! And even if it does not go right this cycle, just know it will go better next cycle (coming from a reapplicant).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
How exciting! Congratulations! Will you be attending?
Thank you. I will most likely be attending a different program that is cheaper, closer to home, and more "established." However, SA seems like a very nice city and I actually want to practice medicine in TX. I suppose it's something I have to sleep on. I enjoyed my interview here and the faculty seem very kind, but I did not find the essay style exams appealing lol :oops: Also I learn best when studying alone, and the curriculum calls for many group learning activities

I'm an ORM, TX resident. Any pointers/advice on what makes a competitive applicant for this school?
I interviewed and was waitlisted, but what I think helped my application that a lot of my volunteer experience was community-focused, specifically helping as a Spanish translator. UIWSOM works with the south side of San Antonio which I believe has a large Hispanic population. Besides that, just having good grades and things like that.

Happy to report I will be withdrawing from this hell of a waitlist. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 7 users

Asides from the obvious hard stats (MCAT and GPA which should be above 503 and 3.5 respectively), I think it comes down to your commitment to service above all else. Similar to what Kimosab said. I had a strong background in community service such as leading multiple volunteer initiatives locally and internationally, assisting with food drives, book drives, etc. During my interview, I highly stressed this background in each of my answers to the best of my ability and tied it to how I will be a good physician because of said experiences.

During informational sessions and talking with other students there, I didn't really get a sense of research focus so while I think it is nice to have, I would really emphasize good grades, clinical experience, and community service.

I'm URM, Out of State, and not-so-perfect stats so I think that's what made the difference between me being accepted vs waitlisted.

Just got accepted, interviewed 4/16

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students speak on the challenges they’ve faced in regards to this school being a newer, less established program?

Can any current students speak on the challenges they’ve faced in regards to this school being a newer, less established program?

I would be willing to provide more detailed, specific responses if anyone has specific questions.

The first two years of medical school are going to primarily be similar. At UIWSOM, there is a LOT of independent learning that is student-driven (whether you are in small groups or large groups). Ask yourself if you need powerpoints / to be told specifically "study this". You will be given suggested readings where answers can be found but obtaining the information will be on you. It took some time for me to adjust, but I really needed the freedom of independent learning (i.e. not being in class 8-5). Just REALLY encourage you to consider this and know yourself.

Studying for level 1/step 1 is by and large going to be up to you. You will get the time. There are some schools that teach to the exams (using board questions for exam questions - not the case here). If you are looking to match to a competitive specialty/residency program, our most successful matches definitely came from my classmates I knew who kept up with board resources as we went (throughout at least the beginning of the second year).

Going to a newer school these types of things are not going to be as streamlined as your established schools. Just the nature of things. However, I will say speaking to a classmate who did not match, we had faculty who had no obligations and spent the entirety of every school day supporting them and helping them in any way possible to find a spot.

Finally, residencies have bias. They will have to make arbitrary cutoffs and students being from a school unknown quantity (new DO school) is one of those. My application season was pleasant; I took these things into account and applied to more than necessary for a primary care field. These are considerations that are important to take (I think) to protect yourself - applying to more programs, applying intelligently (really evaluating your specialty for fit/realisticness, and perhaps considering something another specialty). This is something you should think about in any program but from a new school especially.

I would be willing to provide more detailed, specific responses if anyone has specific questions.

The first two years of medical school are going to primarily be similar. At UIWSOM, there is a LOT of independent learning that is student-driven (whether you are in small groups or large groups). Ask yourself if you need powerpoints / to be told specifically "study this". You will be given suggested readings where answers can be found but obtaining the information will be on you. It took some time for me to adjust, but I really needed the freedom of independent learning (i.e. not being in class 8-5). Just REALLY encourage you to consider this and know yourself.

Studying for level 1/step 1 is by and large going to be up to you. You will get the time. There are some schools that teach to the exams (using board questions for exam questions - not the case here). If you are looking to match to a competitive specialty/residency program, our most successful matches definitely came from my classmates I knew who kept up with board resources as we went (throughout at least the beginning of the second year).

Going to a newer school these types of things are not going to be as streamlined as your established schools. Just the nature of things. However, I will say speaking to a classmate who did not match, we had faculty who had no obligations and spent the entirety of every school day supporting them and helping them in any way possible to find a spot.

Finally, residencies have bias. They will have to make arbitrary cutoffs and students being from a school unknown quantity (new DO school) is one of those. My application season was pleasant; I took these things into account and applied to more than necessary for a primary care field. These are considerations that are important to take (I think) to protect yourself - applying to more programs, applying intelligently (really evaluating your specialty for fit/realisticness, and perhaps considering something another specialty). This is something you should think about in any program but from a new school especially.
The idea of self-directed learning is appealing to me. That's essentially how my PhD and my first masters degree was. I've no desire to sit in class from 8-5 being spoon fed by someone reading from a PowerPoint. When you have a moment, can you describe how you prepared for your COMLEX 1 and Step 1? Thank you sharing what you've shared.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply early! I submitted my primary application in June, secondary in July, interviewed 10/09 and was accepted 10/26. My stats were 3.65 gpa and 500 MCAT(third time I took it).

Reactions: 1 users
Apply early! I submitted my primary application in June, secondary in July, interviewed 10/09 and was accepted 10/26. My stats were 3.65 gpa and 500 MCAT(third time I took it).
Thank you so much for posting this. I’m about to take my third MCAT and I just dropped two grand on a class. I am on three waitlist but don’t hold out much hope. It’s nice to see that someone got in after taking it three times.

R Pre-II! I was on the "Pre-II WL" too - but apparently, the class is full! Good luck to all of you future student doctors :)

• Care
Sorry about that :/ did they say the class was full in the email?
Yes! It said that the incoming class was filled - kinda surprised that I'm the only Pre-II R post (assumed that it was a mass email for all the applicants that haven't interviewed yet but 🤷‍♀️

• Care
I have not seen anyone post about any waitlist movement which I highly doubt there will be 0

Where do most students live at? Is there a certain apartment students like?

Where do most students live at? Is there a certain apartment students like?

The Kennedy is literally across the street (walking distance) from campus, so a lot of people live there. The Aviator and the Landings are the next closest to campus, so a good number of people live there. The Anderson and Legacy Brooks are on either side of the highway, and a handful of people (me and some of the rest of my classmates) live at these 2. The Baldwin is near downtown and a few people live there. There’s a mix of people renting houses/townhomes too in various parts of SA. The main deciding points for most of us was either convenience (eg. Kennedy) vs rent price (all the other options) vs space (for the people with families)

Giving up my deposit (bye bye $1200..) and withdrawing my A here! Hope it goes to one of you on the WL!!! :luck:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Who would you send a letter of intent to at this school? The Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs or the Director of Admissions and Recruitment?

Just received the acceptance offer via email! 💓 Oh my goodness, I can hardly believe it. To those who are still waiting. Stay positive. There is hope! 🌟

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I was also just accepted off the WL just now! Interview in March and got the WL.

Just a word of encouragement to anyone that didn't get their chance this year, never give up. This is my 4th application cycle, I've taken the MCAT 4 times in 4 different states. This year I received three II's and two acceptances!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Wow the WL movement is starting ! Congrats to all!!!! hopefully those of us still on it can get some love too🥺

Unrelated—Is there a current student I can message to ask some questions ??

I was also just accepted off the WL just now! Interview in March and got the WL.

Just a word of encouragement to anyone that didn't get their chance this year, never give up. This is my 4th application cycle, I've taken the MCAT 4 times in 4 different states. This year I received three II's and two acceptances!
Thank you so much and congrats!!!!

Received the A earlier today! Super thrilled since this is my first A and I was on four waitlists lol

I am a low stat applicant and had a lot of personal issues this past year, and didn’t even submit my primary app until February so I really wish that gives all of you some hope!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Received the A earlier today! Super thrilled since this is my first A and I was on four waitlists lol

I am a low stat applicant and had a lot of personal issues this past year, and didn’t even submit my primary app until February so I really wish that gives all of you some hope!
I’m so happy for you! Thank you so much for the encouragement! Did you write a LOI?