2021-2022 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone sent a LOI to this school? How long did you wait after your interview to send it?
I waited about 3-4 weeks then went ahead and sent one. I asked the admissions team if they still take them and they replied with yes. It’s probably not that helpful but I figured it couldn’t hurt since they willingly accept them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone sent a LOI to this school? How long did you wait after your interview to send it?
I sent mine about a month after finding out I was waitlisted. I waited a month because I wanted to see how my other interviews would go.

Interviewed on the 24th , rejected just now. Good luck to everyone , don't give up.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 21st**** and just got that waitlist as expected 😬

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed on the 21st and also waitlisted. I feel so numb right now. This is the second time interviewing with them, and the second time I'm waitlisted.

• Care
Yup, figured as soon as I said something….waitlisted too….yay😬

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
dang are they accepting anyone at this point? :( sending y’all lots of good vibes

dang are they accepting anyone at this point? :( sending y’all lots of good vibes
Don’t think so, I feel they are waiting till after the TMDSAS match so they have firm numbers with all choices on the table.

Hi everyone, would applying here with a 496 MCAT score be alright?

• Care
Don’t think so, I feel they are waiting till after the TMDSAS match so they have firm numbers with all choices on the table.
You think it will be hard to get off the waitlist then here? I know it’s already difficult but with this idk if that just makes it’s even harder

You think it will be hard to get off the waitlist then here? I know it’s already difficult but with this idk if that just makes it’s even harder
I think the point is that some people who applied to both UIWSOM and TMDSAS may get a match to a different school and then withdraw from UIWSOM. Then UIWSOM will be able to take a count and see how many seats they will have to work with.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the point is that some people who applied to both UIWSOM and TMDSAS may get a match to a different school and then withdraw from UIWSOM. Then UIWSOM will be able to take a count and see how many seats they will have to work with.
Ahh that makes sense thank you 😊

I just got an interview invite, but I'm a little confused by this statement "Please note: Because UIWSOM practices a rolling admissions policy, you may be interviewing for a possible waitlist spot for the entering class of 2022."

Does this mean they are no longer interviewing for a seat in the class? Anyone else get this message?

• Wow
I just got an interview invite, but I'm a little confused by this statement "Please note: Because UIWSOM practices a rolling admissions policy, you may be interviewing for a possible waitlist spot for the entering class of 2022."

Does this mean they are no longer interviewing for a seat in the class? Anyone else get this message?
I think this happened last year too, and I’m pretty sure you are correct in assuming you would be interviewing for a waitlist spot. I got an II on 2/10 and my email did not have this message. But, it sounds like they have been waitlisting people since January interviews so at this point I’m pretty sure we are all in your situation regardless of whether our email had that message or not. Still, congrats on the II friend you’ll crush it

I think this happened last year too, and I’m pretty sure you are correct in assuming you would be interviewing for a waitlist spot. I got an II on 2/10 and my email did not have this message. But, it sounds like they have been waitlisting people since January interviews so at this point I’m pretty sure we are all in your situation regardless of whether our email had that message or not. Still, congrats on the II friend you’ll crush it
Thanks so much for information! I might end up declining the interview if the best case scenario is a WL. Best of luck to you! :)

Got what sounds like a pre-II hold today

II received, but I will decline. My app was complete 10/29/2021.
The interview dates available are 3/25 and 3/28.
The email also said
" Please note: Because UIWSOM practices a rolling admissions policy, you may be interviewing for a possible waitlist spot for the entering class of 2022."

Yeah isn’t that weird? I applied around September so maybe that’s why
I applied in Aug. So just a month off but still, weird. IDK if I've seen anyone get an ii from the hold yet

Asking for a friend, does anyone by chance know what percent of applicants come off of the waitlist at this school? Thank you.

Got what sounds like a pre-II hold today
I received one as well today! Thought it was odd this late into the cycle. Anyone who has experienced this from UIWSOM received an II?

II 2/24! Anyone know what their interview process is like (I.e closed file, open) and what types of questions were typically asked? Thanks!

Oh sorry I meant pre secondary waitlist! Does everyone receive one? Or are people rejected/ don’t receive a response? Just wondering what kind of weight that email carries.

Hey everyone! I’m a current first year student. If you are still on the waitlist, don’t be discouraged! One of my classmates was accepted the week before our orientation week! Just stay positive ☺️

II 2/24! Anyone know what their interview process is like (I.e closed file, open) and what types of questions were typically asked? Thanks!
MMI style. Questions range from ethical to situationally. I always recommend refreshing up on the mission statement and values of every school you apply too as well.

Oh sorry I meant pre secondary waitlist! Does everyone receive one? Or are people rejected/ don’t receive a response? Just wondering what kind of weight that email carries.
So that’s actually pre interview waitlist and that’s what I’m wondering like has they rejected anyone before interview invite

Hey everyone! I’m a current first year student. If you are still on the waitlist, don’t be discouraged! One of my classmates was accepted the week before our orientation week! Just stay positive ☺️
needed this! would you happen to know if it’s pretty common to be pulled from the waitlist? Or did most of your classmates not come from the WL

Received II. Anyone if you can share your interview experience PLEASE. I love this school so much. Secondary completed August 2021

Received II. Anyone if you can share your interview experience PLEASE. I love this school so much. Secondary completed August 2021
congrats! did you receive it today on a sunday? Also mind sharing stats?

needed this! would you happen to know if it’s pretty common to be pulled from the waitlist? Or did most of your classmates not come from the WL
I had quite a few classmates come from the waitlist! I noticed that usually in March/April, a lot of people end up getting off waitlist at other schools, which opens up more spots at UIW (since most non-Texan people want to go to a school closer in their own states).

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 1/21 waitlisted as of 2/23. I really hope they have more waitlist movement. OOS 504 mcat 3.2 gpa with lots of clinical experience and in masters program

• Care
I haven’t see many people get interviews with below a 500
I’m a current OMS-1 at UIWSOM and I interviewed and got accepted with a 496 MCAT score. Keep in mind that this school stays true to their word about doing an holistic review of your entire application not just your scores Although it plays a huge factor as to whether you will get accepted here or not. Also never give up hope. I interviewed at UIWSOM 2 times and was waitlisted twice. I sent multiple LOIs after my waitlist email updating the admissions team on my activities and how it relates to my desire to become a physician, and I even retook the MCAT to boost my scores.

I’m a current OMS-1 at UIWSOM and I interviewed and got accepted with a 496 MCAT score. Keep in mind that this school stays true to their word about doing an holistic review of your entire application not just your scores Although it plays a huge factor as to whether you will get accepted here or not. Also never give up hope. I interviewed at UIWSOM 2 times and was waitlisted twice. I sent multiple LOIs after my waitlist email updating the admissions team on my activities and how it relates to my desire to become a physician, and I even retook the MCAT to boost my scores.
when did you interview both times? (what months?)

when did you interview both times? (what months?)
2nd time around after not being taken off the waitlist (basically rejected for class of 2024), I put in my application July of 2020, I received my secondary invite 3 weeks later, submitted the secondary in the month of September, received an interview invite in October, interviewed 2 weeks after the invite. Waitlisted December of 2020. Sent LOI in the months of February, April, and June, along with emails inquiring about updates on waitlist movement. Ended up being accepted in mid July of 2021, when the waitlist movement deadline ended.

2nd time around after not being taken off the waitlist (basically rejected for class of 2024), I put in my application July of 2020, I received my secondary invite 3 weeks later, submitted the secondary in the month of September, received an interview invite in October, interviewed 2 weeks after the invite. Waitlisted December of 2020. Sent LOI in the months of February, April, and June, along with emails inquiring about updates on waitlist movement. Ended up being accepted in mid July of 2021, when the waitlist movement deadline ended.
Thank you so much for providing this info! It's obvious your determination paid off! Quick question: are the LOI's you sent, letters of intent or letters of interest? I'm asking because I've already submitted a letter of intent, but I want to update the admissions committee with another letter on activities I've been doing and how it relates to UIW's values and my desire to become a DO. Thanks again for your help!

Thank you so much for providing this info! It's obvious your determination paid off! Quick question: are the LOI's you sent, letters of intent or letters of interest? I'm asking because I've already submitted a letter of intent, but I want to update the admissions committee with another letter on activities I've been doing and how it relates to UIW's values and my desire to become a DO. Thanks again for your help!
They were all letters of intent, meaning that if you got off the waitlist and accepted to UIWSOM this school is your first choice, and they won’t waste a seat on a applicant who is unsure about attending this university. It’s important that you emphasize this, on your letter and to also take your time to research the school. Learn about the curriculum, everything we have to offer, how it aligns with your goals, talk about any projects, activities, research, publications, presentations, and future events that you are currently doing and how it aligns with the goals of this university. Also, keep in mind that this school is intentionally located in an area where 50% of the residents live under the poverty line, meaning they want your application to reflect that you will become a physician that seriously intends to treat patients in underserved communities. That should also be backed up by your past activities and if not future activities. This is all in the schools mission statement.