2020-2021 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompts:
All are 200 words limit
1) Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.
2) UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
3)Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…
4)If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied? (If applicable)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just now received an email confirming that they've received my application!

Reactions: 3 users
just now received an email confirming that they've received my application!
Same! Weird that it takes them 4 weeks to send out a secondary. Possibly actually reviewing apps first and not a money maker?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same! Weird that it takes them 4 weeks to send out a secondary. Possibly actually reviewing apps first and not a money maker?
Yeah I noticed that too...but then the email they also said that "qualified applicants" will get a secondary, which would make you think that anyone who meets their minimum requirements would get one. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Yeah I noticed that too...but then the email they also said that "qualified applicants" will get a secondary, which would make you think that anyone who meets their minimum requirements would get one. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Yeah, I'm excited!

I interviewed at incarnate word last cycle. Was put on waitlist. Still waiting to here their decision lol. Figured they would let me know either way. Only real con to my application was my gpa and average mcat. 3.3 GPA, 3.0 science, and 500 MCAT.

I interviewed at incarnate word last cycle. Was put on waitlist. Still waiting to here their decision lol. Figured they would let me know either way. Only real con to my application was my gpa and average mcat. 3.3 GPA, 3.0 science, and 500 MCAT.
I would call them man. You never know

Didn't receive secondary yet

Didn't receive secondary yet
Here are the secondary essays if you need them to pre-write so you can turn it in once you receive the secondary:

All are 200 words limit
1) Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.
2) UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
3)Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…
4)If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied? (If applicable)

@PapaGuava

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary 6/29 and application was complete that day as well.

I know this is a newer school but has anyone found any Board score data? @Goro I think you've mentioned this previously. Are you aware of any new information?

I submitted my secondary 6/29 and application was complete that day as well.
What did you put for this question? Is it the Direct admit if we didn't do any MBS program?
1594225300197.png

What did you put for this question? Is it the Direct admit if we didn't do any MBS program?
View attachment 312215
No this is just to see if you were a former student to their school of any kind. Doesn’t take into account any other MBS program you could have taken.

No this is just to see if you were a former student to their school of any kind. Doesn’t take into account any other MBS program you could have taken.
Gotcha, just read the underlined part where it said it was optional. Thanks!

Secondary received! Verified 5/27

Reactions: 1 users
I cant find much data on this school, is it one of the better DO schools? debating applying, any glaring issues?

I cant find much data on this school, is it one of the better DO schools? debating applying, any glaring issues?
It's a newer school in TX. As an OOS, I really want to go to Texas and live there.

It's a newer school in TX. As an OOS, I really want to go to Texas and live there.
You will love it here, our BBQ is top tier. Texas is almost another country.

Reactions: 5 users
You will love it here, our BBQ is top tier. Texas is almost another country.
Not to mention the relatively lax laws relevant to my hobbies compared to where I am now (you can probably guess).

• Wow

Unfortunately, there's really no data that indicates they are one of the "better" schools.

1) They're a newer school so we don't know what residency placements will look like

2) As @Goro has mentioned, the school hasn't released any data on the current student's board scores, which is concerning.

Does anyone else think that this essay question is confusingly worded?
UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
is it just missing an "is" before the words "mission driven"?

Does anyone else think that this essay question is confusingly worded?
UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
is it just missing an "is" before the words "mission driven"?

Yeah I took it as that. it’s missing the is

anyone know is there is an in-state bias? I'm OOS

When I emailed them they said since it's private they are OOS friendly, but their data still shows slightly more favorable odds for IS students.

anyone know is there is an in-state bias? I'm OOS
Since I have talked to the dean and know many students who go there (Since the school isn't far from my house), there is not a strong In-state bias but they do look favorably to students who want to live in Texas or nearby. This is because we Texans have another system called TMDSAS and it makes it to that the public schools have to accept 90% in state students. The residencies are quite bias to Texas students for the same reason, most the applicants are from Texas and we have the biggest medical center in America (Arguably, or on par with NY) in Houston where plenty of residencies are, and thus the school will probably get you connected to the hospitals nearby (There is also an MD school in the same city as UIW and they share rotations with UIW which is great). Therefore, you can get in if you don't plan to live here or nearby or come from OOS, but your chances can increase if you do plan to show you want to stay.

Since I have talked to the dean and know many students who go there (Since the school isn't far from my house), there is not a strong In-state bias but they do look favorably to students who want to live in Texas or nearby. This is because we Texans have another system called TMDSAS and it makes it to that the public schools have to accept 90% in state students. The residencies are quite bias to Texas students for the same reason, most the applicants are from Texas and we have the biggest medical center in America (Arguably, or on par with NY) in Houston where plenty of residencies are, and thus the school will probably get you connected to the hospitals nearby (There is also an MD school in the same city as UIW and they share rotations with UIW which is great). Therefore, you can get in if you don't plan to live here or nearby or come from OOS, but your chances can increase if you do plan to show you want to stay.
ayyyy! i’m reppin’ the 210 as well :cool:

• Wow
Any UIWSOM students able to provide more information on UIWSOM's faith-based mission?

One of their secondary questions is "UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?" I'm a little confused on how I should address their prompt. I understand their faith-based mission, but as someone who's never been religious - how do I address the faith components of their components without sounding insincere?

Thanks!

Any UIWSOM students able to provide more information on UIWSOM's faith-based mission?

One of their secondary questions is "UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?" I'm a little confused on how I should address their prompt. I understand their faith-based mission, but as someone who's never been religious - how do I address the faith components of their components without sounding insincere?

Thanks!
I answered the secondary questions without any mention of faith, went through the entire Interview Day without talking about faith, and I start school at UIWSOM in 12 days.
this is from last year’s thread!
i don’t think mention of faith is necessary. i talked about how i’d fulfill their mission statement/emphasis on serving the underserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I just submitted my secondary but it says that the application isn't complete..anyone know what this means?
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.03.42 AM.png

this is from last year’s thread!
i don’t think mention of faith is necessary. i talked about how i’d fulfill their mission statement/emphasis on serving the underserved.
Made it through my first year, did pretty well, got involved in lots of volunteer work, and made some strong connections with faculty all without ever talking about faith at school.

Made it through my first year, did pretty well, got involved in lots of volunteer work, and made some strong connections with faculty all without ever talking about faith at school.

@Cheese Machine Do you by chance have any info / insight on board scores from the classes above you? Can't find any data anywhere.

where do clinical rotations occur for 3rd and 4th years?
what hospitals specifically?

(I'm from SA so I'm eager to know)

Bump, want to know the rotation stuff from anyone else here. From my friends who attend, they are usually SA area or some rural clinics too hare some rotations with UTSA. I want to know if this is done by lotto or how do you chose the rotations?

@Cheese Machine Do you by chance have any info / insight on board scores from the classes above you? Can't find any data anywhere.

I'm pretty sure the dean said that our first time COMLEX 1 pass rate was something like 83%. From talking to some of our upper classmen the general feel seems to be that the people that overly committed to our curriculum as their primary form of board prep struggled. Since they were the very first class I guess some people didn't know to go the B&B/Anki route. I'm not particularly concerned about it because we only have class for a few hours a day so I basically board prep the rest of the time. Basically the people that struggled did so because their board prep strategy was wack, not necessarily because of the school.

Do not quote me on this, but I believe the majority of our students rotate at Christus, Metropolitan/Methodist, and the Baptist Hospitals here in SA. A small number of students go to Laredo and Abilene. I admittedly do not know a whole lot about how they pick clinical sites because I am getting married soon and UIWSOM won't send you out of SA if you're married or own a house here.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure the dean said that our first time COMLEX 1 pass rate was something like 83%. From talking to some of our upper classmen the general feel seems to be that the people that overly committed to our curriculum as their primary form of board prep struggled. Since they were the very first class I guess some people didn't know to go the B&B/Anki route. I'm not particularly concerned about it because we only have class for a few hours a day so I basically board prep the rest of the time. Basically the people that struggled did so because their board prep strategy was wack, not necessarily because of the school.

Do not quote me on this, but I believe the majority of our students rotate at Christus, Metropolitan/Methodist, and the Baptist Hospitals here in SA. A small number of students go to Laredo and Abilene. I admittedly do not know a whole lot about how they pick clinical sites because I am getting married soon and UIWSOM won't send you out of SA if you're married or own a house here.

Thanks for the honesty. I don’t love that pass rate but no one should rely on curriculum alone to prep. Anki FTW!

for those who received a secondary did you guys have an mcat score submitted?

for those who received a secondary did you guys have an mcat score submitted?

Yeah I did. But I went to the information session the other day and I believe they said that they would send out secondaries to those without MCAT scores too after evaluating other areas of your app