2017-2018 Creighton University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question-- got accepted on a conditional acceptance (need an advanced science class prior to matriculation). Does this count as a full acceptance in the context of dropping all except one acceptance by April 30th? Can I keep Creighton and one other school?
I think this is still considered an acceptance as part of your 1 school. That's just what I think though

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is still considered an acceptance as part of your 1 school. That's just what I think though
I would think it counts. But call Admissions at Creighton to be sure. Phrase it like you are hoping to attend Creighton but want to know if you can/should keep your other as a backup

I got put on the "alternate list" after my interview with a 505 MCAT. In the email from admissions, they said we could contact admissions pertaining as to why we were put on the alternate list, and I was told flat-out that it was because of my MCAT score. They also said that everything else looked great and that my interviewers spoke highly of me. This was pretty disappointing, as I didn't think MCAT score would be the sole reason for not getting accepted post-interview, but such is life.
I had the same exact experience, except for me it was my grades being slightly below the average. They told me to submit my grades from my Master's Program, which I did and they were quite high. I am hoping that make the difference because Creighton is my top choice. It was pretty disheartening that my interviewer strongly implied they wanted me to attend and I was told my GPA was good enough to earn an interview, only to be placed on the Alternate List because of it, after what felt like my best interview.
Heres to hoping we both gain acceptance later.

On that note, does anyone have a clear picture how extensively they are going to be pulling from their weightlist this year. Or how much they have in the past?

Also, does having other acceptances (including one with significant scholarship) help or hurt my chances of eventually gaining admissions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got put on the "alternate list" after my interview with a 505 MCAT. In the email from admissions, they said we could contact admissions pertaining as to why we were put on the alternate list, and I was told flat-out that it was because of my MCAT score. They also said that everything else looked great and that my interviewers spoke highly of me. This was pretty disappointing, as I didn't think MCAT score would be the sole reason for not getting accepted post-interview, but such is life.

Hilarious. I haven’t been on SDN for a bit because I was accepted to other schools, but I had literally the exact same experience as you. I got put on the alternate list back in October and called for feedback that same day. The guy straight up said my 505 was iffy to admissions. I proceeded to ask if my interviews went bad and he said they all gave very positive marks. I have a 4.0 and knew it wasn’t my grades. I was pretty confused to say the least since this is a “holistic” review process. Alas, I am going to a great school and will become a doctor elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted students: do we know when the white coat ceremony is?

Just wondering, is there anywhere we can find the curriculum schedule for Creighton? Like when we'll be taking which classes throughout the year? I can only find the general list of classes students will take, not necessarily when we'll be enrolled in each class/how many we'll be enrolled in at one time?

Asking for a friend: hypothetically, when would incoming M1s get drug tested?

I'd let your friend know that drug tests may hypothetically be performed during orientation week at the beginning of Fall semester.

Just wondering, is there anywhere we can find the curriculum schedule for Creighton? Like when we'll be taking which classes throughout the year? I can only find the general list of classes students will take, not necessarily when we'll be enrolled in each class/how many we'll be enrolled in at one time?

Fall Semester: Anatomy, Molecular Cell Biology, and Ethics & Legal Topics in Medicine (all concurrently, although Ethics finishes a little earlier than the other two)
January: Host Defense (Immunology) and Introduction to Microbiology
February: Evidence Based Medicine (Statistics, 1 week), Introduction to Pharmacology (1 week), Behavioral Medicine 1 (Developmental Psych, 2 weeks)
After Spring Break: Neurology (~8 weeks, the longest block schedule class)

Also, throughout the M1 year you'll also be enrolled in "Introduction to Clinical Skills" which has small group sessions and some clinical skill practice sessions spread out across both semesters, though a little more involved in the fall semester than the spring.

M2 year starts off with Infectious Disease (4 weeks) and starts working through the systems one at a time, and I can't recall the exact order off the top of my head right now, sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)

So there probably isn't an official schedule as they are still working out what lectures they want to adjust and how to incorporate any curriculum changes. My understanding is you will likely benefit from firecracker integration and more simulation experiences than we had this year, but nothing is certain.

In general, your fall semester will consist of 3 major courses - Anatomy (contains embryo), Molecular cell biology (think cell science, biochem, genetics), and ethics.
Lectures are in 1 hour blocks, 50 minutes, 10 minute break. A typical week first semester is lecture 8-12 M-F. MWF evenings you have anatomy labs 1pm -whenever you finish your end point.
Ethics and MCB have a small group component once a week/every 2 weeks where we met to discuss an ethical dilemma or clinical case respectively. We had Team based Learning maybe 6 times throughout the semester for anatomy where we meet in a lecture hall and answer clinical application questions in both individually and as a team with your lab mates.

Testing:
We had 4 Exams for MCB, last one being cumulative. We had 3 exam days for Anatomy, where you take a written test (think clinical application) and 1 practical (gross lab identification). Ethics I believe was just a midterm and final. About every week/2weeks we had an MDQ (multidisciplinary quiz) so basically a quiz on whatever we had recently been taught across all our courses (i.e. its anatomy+ethics+mcb+clinical skills)

These will be concurrent throughout the whole semester. You will also be taking minor courses that are much less frequent. such a clinical skills course which is maybe like once a week to interview Standardized patients and learn how to do physical exams.

Edit:
Thought Ill throw in Spring:

January you take Microbiology and Host Defense (immunology) together. February you take Intro to Pharm, then evidence-based medicine, then Behavioural Medicine 1 and conclude the semester with neuroscience. These last 4 courses are taken by themselves with no other subjects except for clinical skills type stuff.

Does anyone know the exact date that we need to fulfill conditional acceptance requirements? My original email regarding the conditional acceptance said to update as you complete them but did not have a specific deadline.

Does anyone know the exact date that we need to fulfill conditional acceptance requirements? My original email regarding the conditional acceptance said to update as you complete them but did not have a specific deadline.

If it's a class, I think it says somewhere online that transcripts are due by July 15th

When in doubt, shoot an email to the admissions committee, Dr. Barron / Mr. Wessel will be able to provide you clarity on this issue. Typically my understanding is, as long as the course is in progress/ will be completed by start of the school year they work with you but I could be wrong.

What is the likelihood that medical students would receive financial aid outside of loans? eg scholarships, grants, etc

Hey there, is anyone still looking for housing in Omaha? I would love to have a roommate, posted on the Facebook page a while back but haven't received any messages. I've found a few pretty affordable places for two people. Message me if you are a fellow female still looking for a roommate! I am friendly and would be easy to live with. Thanks!

Hey there, is anyone still looking for housing in Omaha? I would love to have a roommate, posted on the Facebook page a while back but haven't received any messages. I've found a few pretty affordable places for two people. Message me if you are a fellow female still looking for a roommate! I am friendly and would be easy to live with. Thanks!
I think people will be more receptive in May once they are sure where they are going!

I think people will be more receptive in May once they are sure where they are going!
^^^^^

It's still a bit early,
Plus, if you are coming to Omaha from a college town like me, Apartment hunting is totally fine a month or 2 beforehand. It isn't like it was at my undergrad where you needed to sign a lease by January for the following Fall. So just chillax and try to enjoy your time before starting up at med school.

I believe (don't hold me to this) the current M1's may assemble a "guide to omaha" for yall and post in the fb group for yall. totes could be wrong, this was discussed a while back.

There are lots of nice apartments in downtown (The bank, Slate, Orpheum, Capitol Districts, Highline) etc that you could be living cush at for under 1k a month.
Current med students looking to fill houses will post on fb page eventually and houses are a cheaper but less amenties option.

High Yield: wait a bit for people to commit. housing in Omaha moves a bit slower than most cities in my experience. Look for houses for cheaper rent (typically under 500 a month for a house). Downtown has lots of nice options if you like amenities at prices far lower than most cities.

What is the likelihood that medical students would receive financial aid outside of loans? eg scholarships, grants, etc
In my experience, the chance is not extremely high. We do have a few scholarships, but its just that, a few and not something I'd plan on unless you have an incredible history of overcoming socioeconomic adversity.

I believe the majority of my classmates do NOT receive non-loan financial aid.

But from talking to my friends at other medical schools of similar caliber this is kinda just how it is. Medical school comes with a large cost that fortunately and statistically speaking will lead to a job that can manage the debt burden. And just in case you were going to ask, no, people don't work part-time jobs because it would bring in such a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things and cost you free time that as a med student you will hold dear.

A decent chunk of my class come from more financially secure families who may help alleviate their financial burden.

For those of us who aren't so fortunate, we take solace in the fact that Omaha is a cheap city to live so you can live comfortably below the loan threshold. It is very doable to find a room in a house for $450 a month or less and food costs are cheap incredibly cheap compared to coastal cities.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you better news, but welcome to the loan club!

^^^^^

It's still a bit early,
Plus, if you are coming to Omaha from a college town like me, Apartment hunting is totally fine a month or 2 beforehand. It isn't like it was at my undergrad where you needed to sign a lease by January for the following Fall. So just chillax and try to enjoy your time before starting up at med school.

I believe (don't hold me to this) the current M1's may assemble a "guide to omaha" for yall and post in the fb group for yall. totes could be wrong, this was discussed a while back.

There are lots of nice apartments in downtown (The bank, Slate, Orpheum, Capitol Districts, Highline) etc that you could be living cush at for under 1k a month.
Current med students looking to fill houses will post on fb page eventually and houses are a cheaper but less amenties option.

High Yield: wait a bit for people to commit. housing in Omaha moves a bit slower than most cities in my experience. Look for houses for cheaper rent (typically under 500 a month for a house). Downtown has lots of nice options if you like amenities at prices far lower than most cities.
Thanks McNerdy and RTD! I figured the silence was because people already had it figured out and I was the only one without a plan, haha! Good to know there will still be options in a little bit. I will chillax. :) Lots of affordable duplexes/houses, the nice apartments are just a bit out of budget for me, I'd like to find something less than 400 a month if I could!

Thanks McNerdy and RTD! I figured the silence was because people already had it figured out and I was the only one without a plan, haha! Good to know there will still be options in a little bit. I will chillax. :) Lots of affordable duplexes/houses, the nice apartments are just a bit out of budget for me, I'd like to find something less than 400 a month if I could!

Check for houses in the area/ wait for people to post about openings. Many of my classmates live in houses that would fit that budget range so it should be doable. Best of luck and welcome to Creighton!

@McNerdy Do you know how much waitlist movement to expect for the Phoenix track?

Is withdrawing an acceptance from Creighton done via email? I didn't see an option for this on the portal. Thanks in advance!

Is withdrawing an acceptance from Creighton done via email? I didn't see an option for this on the portal. Thanks in advance!

yeah, i just sent them an email. Just FYI they send you a paper check through the regular mail, rather than just refunding you with the method that you used to pay the deposit. I withdrew a while ago and it took about 2 weeks to get the deposit back.

@McNerdy Do you know how much waitlist movement to expect for the Phoenix track?

I remember at my interview they said that everyone who wanted to get into the Phoenix track ended up getting it eventually. And correct me if I’m wrong, but they don’t have separate wait lists for each track. When I got my acceptance, I chose after getting the acceptance.

I remember at my interview they said that everyone who wanted to get into the Phoenix track ended up getting it eventually. And correct me if I’m wrong, but they don’t have separate wait lists for each track. When I got my acceptance, I chose after getting the acceptance.
I got an email saying I am on the waitlist for the Phoenix track, I am already accepted.

I was told that in the interview as well, does not seem to be true this year :(

I got an email saying I am on the waitlist for the Phoenix track, I am already accepted.

Ohh, ok.

Well, they did mention that some years it takes until well into M1 or even M2 year for everything to shake out, and the waitlist to finally end. But apparently, a lot of people decide to stay in Omaha because not only is it a lot cheaper, but also moving sucks, people develop relationships and friendships, and other things....

What’s your spot on the waitlist?

Ohh, ok.

Well, they did mention that some years it takes until well into M1 or even M2 year for everything to shake out, and the waitlist to finally end. But apparently, a lot of people decide to stay in Omaha because not only is it a lot cheaper, but also moving sucks, people develop relationships and friendships, and other things....

What’s your spot on the waitlist?
Waitlist spot is not looking good, it might play into my decision today to chose which school :/

Waitlist spot is not looking good, it might play into my decision today to chose which school :/

You still haven’t decided? Lol... The business day is over and it should’ve been done already.

Ight so not sure if it has already been done but this is how the whole phoenix thing works.
Every student is asked initially phoenix or Omaha.
Then a lottery is done ranking the people who select phoenx 1-###. The first 46 (how many spots we have currently) are guaranteed the rest are put on a waitlist.

Historically we are told that the waitlist moves enough that anyone who wants to go can go. I can tell you that I personally was put on the waitlist initially, and have already received a guaranteed spot. There is movement but it is largely dependent on classmates and personal choices.

Once you have a spot, you have until spring of M2 to decide if you want to keep the spot to go to Phoenix or if you want to stay. Many who are initially on the list stay for personal reasons such as having a friend group that is majority Omaha track or a significant other located in omaha/omaha track. I know of several classmates where this is true that they are technically Phoenix track, but for all of their friend group/ their significant other is staying in Omaha.

Hopefully, this helps, feel free to message me for more details.

When can we expect WL movement? Im committed to another school but would prefer to go to Creighton, and I was told that my chances to get off the WL are reasonably good when I called admissions. I would love to have a timeline so I know whether I should start looking for housing near my other school or hold out for Creighton?

When can we expect WL movement? Im committed to another school but would prefer to go to Creighton, and I was told that my chances to get off the WL are reasonably good when I called admissions. I would love to have a timeline so I know whether I should start looking for housing near my other school or hold out for Creighton?

I called in to the admissions today and they said that probably the 16th and 17th. She also said that there "definitely will be movement". The way she said it repeatedly made it sound like there will be a lot of movement but I am not 100% sure. Good luck to those waiting!

I called in to the admissions today and they said that probably the 16th and 17th. She also said that there "definitely will be movement". The way she said it repeatedly made it sound like there will be a lot of movement but I am not 100% sure. Good luck to those waiting!

Although subjective, I feel like our school is definitely characterized by a lot of WL movement. There are quite a few individuals in the M1 class who got in off waitlist so keep your heads up everyone.

If you're on the waitlist, just know it's not over yet! May the odds be ever in your favor :)

Also to clarify phoenix vs omaha track b/c i've been asked a few questions.

You will be accepted to School of Medicine, not a specific track.

Upon being accepted you can declare a preference omaha or phoenix for your clinical rotations during M3/M4.
As of our class, phoenix is accepting up to 46 students (this number may change) and the rest of the class will complete clinical rotations at Omaha. A lottery will be held filling the 46 guaranteed spots at random and creating a waitlist for phoenix.

Up until Spring of M2 year, students on the Phoenix track may occupy a position of the phoenix track and still be able to change their mind and remain in Omaha for clinicals. Once a student on the phoenix track changes to omaha the next person on the waitlist will get their spot. You will be given an exact number on the waitlist once the list is compiled. So you will know come August that you either have a spot, or are number 17 for example on the waitlist. When a spot is freed up, you will receive an email notifying you as such and asking if you'd like the spot. You can either accept it and hold the spot or choose to stay in omaha and the offer will go to the next person in line.

Phoenix track is completely optional. We are told that clinical experiences will be equal regardless of which location you choose (although there are differing opinions amongst students that certain campuses may be slightly better for different specialities/ different regional matching goals).

Regardless of the campus you choose, we are allowed to perform an externship that doesn't count against our allowance at the other site. So let's say normally you are allowed 2 externship experiences to rotate at residency programs of interest during M4. You could, in fact, complete the 3rd externship in the sense of rotating at phoenix hospitals if on Omaha track or at Omaha hospitals if Phoenix track.

Hopefully this provides a more complete picture than my previous posting.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks lolalala and McNerdy
Ill wait until then before making any housing decisions and if I havent heard Im getting in by then I will assume Im going to my other school at start finding housing there. Can always pull out later.
More hurry up and wait I guess. This process has shaved years off my life

Reactions: 2 users
If it makes you feel any better, I got waitlisted at Creighton as well with an MCAT over 515

Anyone else get an email about the alternate list, it states they're thankful for your continued interest and that they are still interested in you too? Not sure if this just went out to everyone in mass. Looking for any positive signs of hope right now lol

Anyone else get an email about the alternate list, it states they're thankful for your continued interest and that they are still interested in you too? Not sure if this just went out to everyone in mass. Looking for any positive signs of hope right now lol
Yeah I got that too! My heart went into my throat for a second, then I realized what it was, and my heart was cast back into the shadow realm.

After receiving that email, did anyone get a follow up email from the Assistant Dean?

Wait were you guys accepted, or what is this email??

I don't see anything on the waitlist tracker but I don't know if people are just not filling it out.

So I'm guessing everyone else got the waitlist email followed by the "the class isn't full yet" email? Any idea how much waitlist movement to expect?