2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Partial Secondary:
Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

At NSU CAM, we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)

How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine (Maximum 4000 characters)

Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
So weird to be at the beginning of the cycle anywhere. At least I got in on day one with Nova... feels good to be early somewhere. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have so many questions about the curriculum here. A little PBL is great but majority PBL at a new school feels like a potential drawback.

Reactions: 3 users
like the low secondary fee, just hoping the secondary itself isn't too rough. just submitted either way, tho.

Submitted primary here. At least early for one medical school.

I have so many questions about the curriculum here. A little PBL is great but majority PBL at a new school feels like a potential drawback.
It makes me a little nervous, too - but honestly, this is how I do my best learning, so I'm trying to be optimistic about it.

There's only so many straight-up facts I can stand to learn. I learn so much better and quicker if I'm applying those facts instead of memorizing.

Submitted! I was accepted to NOVA's DO program about a month ago and absolutely loved the school. Would love to be a representative part of their entering class at their allopathic school!

Submitted! On the same boat as @bengirlxD .... accepted to the DO program as well!

Does any one know if they will be offering scholarships (or even free tuition) for the inaugural class? The website is pretty vague but one would think that a new MD program would offer some incentive to tempt competitive applicants.
I know it's early but if anyone does find out, please drop us a line in the thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any one know if they will be offering scholarships (or even free tuition) for the inaugural class? The website is pretty vague but one would think that a new MD program would offer some incentive to tempt competitive applicants.
I know it's early but if anyone does find out, please drop us a line in the thread!

They basically have no reason to do this. There are already enough competitive applicants out there who would do anything to go there that they don't need to offer any incentive beyond their mere existence.

They basically have no reason to do this. There are already enough competitive applicants out there who would do anything to go there that they don't need to offer any incentive beyond their mere existence.

They will be able to get way better students if they offer scholarships

That's why a lot of new schools do this

Reactions: 2 users

Have you heard that this is confirmed? Scholarships are very common practice for new schools, so don't see why you would think it to be such a cut and dry 'no'

They won't get elite applicants, who are accepted elsewhere, without offering money. I'm sure they could fill a class with decent applicants who don't get in anywhere else, but if they want more competitive applicants to take a shot on them, they have to give them a reason to. Almost all new schools offer significant scholarships (often times, full rides) to their inaugural classes for this reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any kind of insight as to when we should expect a secondary? Are they gonna screen?

They won't get elite applicants, who are accepted elsewhere, without offering money. I'm sure they could fill a class with decent applicants who don't get in anywhere else, but if they want more competitive applicants to take a shot on them, they have to give them a reason to. Almost all new schools offer significant scholarships (often times, full rides) to their inaugural classes for this reason.
I think this is all more complicated due to them being a private school. But it would be nice to see them offering something

"Secondary applications will be available by mid-November 2017. "

On their website

Reactions: 3 users
Can you guys please post the secondary questions once you get them? :) I'm thinking about throwing my app in the hat!

Added my name to the hat yesterday! I have been accepted to the DO program here already. Hopefully they don't mind that haha.

Can any current MD students or residents/faculty comment on their curriculum plan ? Maybe some thoughts on perceived difficulty, time to study for STEPS relative to other programs , anything else that jumps out at you or is noteworthy and may not be obvious to a new student comparing schools (link below) @gyngyn

<<md.nova.edu/forms/NSU_Curriculum%20schematic_02.pdf>>

Last edited:
Can any current MD students or residents/faculty comment on their curriculum plan ? Maybe some thoughts on perceived difficulty, time to study for STEPS relative to other programs , anything else that jumps out at you or is noteworthy and may not be obvious to a new student comparing schools (link below)

<<md.nova.edu/forms/NSU_Curriculum%20schematic_02.pdf>>
Currently undergraduate student, looks like they will give ample time for STEP 1 preparation 8 weeks. Usually I have heard other school gives 4-6 weeks, I could be wrong. For Step 2, not sure if it is good enough preparation time or not as there are two portions of the exam Step 2 CK and STEP 2 CS. But I think that should be good enough too. Difficulty wise, it seems like there are trying to mimic what the top universities are doing. Reducing basic sciences into 1 and half year and starting rotations in the end of 2nd Year. This means the curriculum might be more difficult but again that is just my speculations from what I have researched so far.

Threw my hat in the ring as well! Interested to see how this plays out.

PARTIAL Prompts (secondary website stalled midway through the secondary but I thought I'd share what I've seen so far): @gyngyn

Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

At NSU CAM, we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)

How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine (Maximum 4000 characters)

Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

secondary website stalled midway through the secondary but I thought I'd share what I've seen so far

I can get to the secondary website but then I can't even load the prompts lol. Not sure what's with this thing

When did you guys submit? I havent gotten anything yet.

I haven't gotten anything yet either... submitted primary 10/28 around 0830.

This should be the remainder of the secondary - I don't know for sure as the last step is "Submit" and it's one of those survey type websites that pushes you through page by page. @gyngyn

Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Have you previously applied to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)? If yes, please explain what steps you have taken to improve your overall application profile for this admissions cycle. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Are you the first person in your immediate family to earn a baccalaureate degree? (Y/N)

Why would a school decide to have both Allopathic and Osteopathic programs? Seems like a waste of resources.

I submitted my primary on 10/30 and I have yet to receive a secondary.

there is pdf of all the questions attached in the email requesting your secondary application

I submitted my primary on 10/30 and I have yet to receive a secondary.

I received my secondary just under an hour ago.

Edit: And submitted shortly after. Thanks for the prompts, folks.

Last edited: