2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep^ Was on hold last year...something like 270 others were in the same boat. Extremely frustrating if you ask me...not sure why the hold list is double the class size
Well that isn't very encouraging. That makes zero sense. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel like UTHSC is big on asking people to reapply... I wonder if they wait until that date (I think it's in march) that they can see if you have been accepted any where else and use that to determine if they need to accept you this year or they are fine telling you to reapply...

Thoughts?

I feel like UTHSC is big on asking people to reapply... I wonder if they wait until that date (I think it's in march) that they can see if you have been accepted any where else and use that to determine if they need to accept you this year or they are fine telling you to reapply...

Thoughts?

There is a lot of movement between march and may, after that it begins to slow down. That being said, because of their hold list size, unless you make the top half or even quarter you're not getting accepted this round. It seems to me like a "we're interested in you for the future" deal if you make the hold list but aren't at the top of it.

edit: and yeah IIRC its around march 15th that schools see people holding multiple acceptances, HOWEVER, I don't think schools get to ever see where all you have applied and are ONLY privy to your acceptance info if they themselves have accepted you
So, I think it is more for recruiting scholarships. If you have one acceptance, hold it. Because after May 1, people will have to start deciding where they are going and the picture is a lot more clear for schools accepting ppl off the waitlist late.

Apologies if this was confusing, hope it was some help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a lot of movement between march and may, after that it begins to slow down. That being said, because of their hold list size, unless you make the top half or even quarter you're not getting accepted this round. It seems to me like a "we're interested in you for the future" deal if you make the hold list but aren't at the top of it.

edit: and yeah IIRC its around march 15th that schools see people holding multiple acceptances, HOWEVER, I don't think schools get to ever see where all you have applied and are ONLY privy to your acceptance info if they themselves have accepted you
So, I think it is more for recruiting scholarships. If you have one acceptance, hold it. Because after May 1, people will have to start deciding where they are going and the picture is a lot more clear for schools accepting ppl off the waitlist late.

I agree with pretty much everything you said other than LizzyM has said that if a school interviews you then they get to see where you've been accepted because her school uses that to determine waitlist movement!

Is the 270 number you mentioned before the official "alternate list" or is that what it starts at?

Is the 270 number you mentioned before the official "alternate list" or is that what it starts at?
That's the number of people on the official waitlist made when they finish with interviews. Historically, the top 40 people get in off the waitlist.

Correction from earlier, the march 15th date is the date at which schools are supposed to have offered at least one acceptance per seat in their class. It is in February sometime that multiple acceptances are released, perhaps already this monday?

How does the Phi Chi medical fraternity and house work? Is it available to first-year medical students?

Also, did they send the merit scholarship nominations out yet? I am uncertain if I will get one, but there is a chance.

Any recent interview invites? Still waiting for interview invite.IS Complete mid Oct.

Last edited:
Any recent interview invites? Still waiting for interview invite.IS Complete mid Oct.
I haven't heard of any in a bit. They definitely aren't done interviewing. I still have a few friends waiting too. I wouldn't feel too down about it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was complete in October and had my interview in the last few weeks.

I got an interview invite monday night for the 9th (tuesday next week). My application was complete early October.

I'm starting to think PA might be the way to go...

I'm starting to think PA might be the way to go...
Lol have you been reading those threads on the pre allo board too?

My cousin is a PA and I think I'd get tired of always getting the $hit end of the work...

I'm starting to see residents who pretty much hate their life.. so encouraging

It's a lot harder to get in UTHSC's PA school though

As a currently accepted student to the MD program, I am going to have to disagree with this. Say what you will, but... it is all relative to the path you take.

As a currently accepted student to the MD program, I am going to have to disagree with this. Say what you will, but... it is all relative to the path you take.
They had almost 2,000 applicants this year for about 40 something spots.

They had almost 2,000 applicants this year for about 40 something spots.

Fair, so your 'odds'...if you want to call them that (although I believe it is a bit of a misnomer to the well-informed) are lower.

However, it is kind of comparing apples to oranges. I won't go down the road of comparing the MCAT to the GRE or the pre-reqs, as I'm sure this has been hashed out ad naseum on the pre-allo forum somewhere. Point being, if you wanted to go PA route and were a competitive candidate for UT but just didn't quite make the cut this cycle, you could likely get into PA school.

I'll concede though that the above is a very general assumption. But I believe it is such that in terms of difficulty of gaining admission, candidates for any medical field are ordered in increasing competitiveness:
MD>DO>PA

Finally got an II! I was complete in August. Interview is for two weeks from now, both are in Memphis.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got an II invite for feb 16. Are they pretty much just interviewing for waitlist positions at this point?

I just got an II invite for feb 16. Are they pretty much just interviewing for waitlist positions at this point?
I don't believe so. There were several people on last years thread that interviewed at the last interview day and were accepted

I interviewed on January 20th and I'm still waiting to hear back

Last edited:

I, too, just got an interview invite for 2/16! I would certainly hope there are spots open.

I just got an interview for Wednesday the 17th. Can anyone offer some insight into the interview questions?

I, too, just got an interview invite for 2/16! I would certainly hope there are spots open.
They don't interview for waitlist spots, there are spots available to future interviewees. I spoke with Nelson about it and he said it's possible to get interviewed on the last day and get accepted even if there are other people on the waitlist that interviewed in December.

They also don't even prioritize the waitlisters until the very end of interviews, so if you do get waitlisted for whatever reason, you can still end up higher on the waitlist than someone who interviewed before you.

It's not first come first serve so prepare like crazy and you have as much of a shot as anyone!

I just got an interview for Wednesday the 17th. Can anyone offer some insight into the interview questions?

Honestly, I think each interviewer does their own thing. In my personal experience, both interviewers were very relaxed and just asked me about myself and my experiences listed on my application. I think I had one hypothetical question, but it had nothing to do with ethics. I know some people who had way more intense interviewers though. It just depends on the interviewers style.

Good luck with your interview!

Edit: what mabidi said ha

I would also be up to date on politics. I was asked about Ben Carson's political campaign

Doesn't seem like there have been many acceptances in a while.

Doesn't seem like there have been many acceptances in a while.
Hoping that changes soon, but thinking maybe they are going to wait until almost all interviews are done to pick? We've already been on hold this long....

Hoping that changes soon, but thinking maybe they are going to wait until almost all interviews are done to pick? We've already been on hold this long....
I know or just waiting to send out a large batch to us on hold! Hopeful...

The multi accept list became available on 2/10. This way they can see who might be going elsewhere and allocate more acceptances from recent interviews.

The multi accept list became available on 2/10. This way they can see who might be going elsewhere and allocate more acceptances from recent interviews.
Hmm that's an interesting plan. But I guess it makes sense.

Hmm that's an interesting plan. But I guess it makes sense.
That's not how that works-- the Feb release only shows the inquiring school which other standing acceptances an applicant holds after they have made the decision to accept that applicant.

That's not how that works-- the Feb release only shows the inquiring school which other standing acceptances an applicant holds after they have made the decision to accept that applicant.
Ah gotcha. I see.

Only schools that have accepted you can see where else you were accepted. I think the point they were making was that UT can look at the people they have already accepted to predict who will definitely matriculate to UT (say they are not accepted elsewhere) and those who will likely matriculate elsewhere (several acceptances at top universities). With this information they can predict the number of spots that will open and how many new people they can accept.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering - based on previous threads it doesn't seem like anyone ever gets rejected post-interview. Is this true? It seems like everyone that is not accepted outright ends up on the waitlist. Based on their stats, if they interview around 400 to 500 people and have a class size of around 165, they would probably accept close to 400 people (since most schools accept at least 2.5ish students per spot). Does anyone know of anyone that was rejected after an interview?

A student I talked to last year said UT usually accepts around 220 or so applicants each year. All the other waitlisted applicants are officially rejected in July