2022-2023 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @drewmighty , for sharing this year's prompts.

2022-2023 CA University of Science and Medicine Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do? (1500 char)

2. Provide us with a specific example of something you did which helped build enthusiasm in others. (1500 char)

3. How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team? (1500 char)

4. Describe the last time you were criticized by a peer or supervisor. How did you handle it? (1500 char)

5. What does it mean to be emotionally intelligent? How have you effectively used your skills in emotional intelligence in the past? (1500 char)

6. Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person? (1500 char)

7. What would be the best example that shows you are a person of integrity? (1500 char)

8. If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years? (1500 char)

9. Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class? (1500 char)

10. If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below. (500 char).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got an email stating that they "will not be moving forward with my app." Thought I had high enough stats and I am IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same and I received a secondary from them last year too
I got that too, but I took it as them finally rejecting me from last application cycle. They also sent mine to an email I'm not using for apps this time.

I got that too, but I took it as them finally rejecting me from last application cycle. They also sent mine to an email I'm not using for apps this time.
possibly is this then lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary prompts:

1. Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do? (1500 char)

2. Provide us with a specific example of something you did which helped build enthusiasm in others. (1500 char)

3. How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team? (1500 char)

4. Describe the last time you were criticized by a peer or supervisor. How did you handle it? (1500 char)

5. What does it mean to be emotionally intelligent? How have you effectively used your skills in emotional intelligence in the past? (1500 char)

6. Give an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. Why was this person difficult? How did you handle that person? (1500 char)

7. What would be the best example that shows you are a person of integrity? (1500 char)

8. If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years? (1500 char)

9. Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class? (1500 char)

10. If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below. (500 char).

It is a long one it seems

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary prompts:

It is a long one it seems
Ayy we seem to have similar stats. Also CA non-trad older. Good luck this cycle!

• Care
Secondary Received IS 8/1!
Also... damn this one is a long one fellas

how do y'all plan on talking about someone who was difficult to work with, specifically why they were difficult?

how do y'all plan on talking about someone who was difficult to work with, specifically why they were difficult?
I'm stumped on this one and the last time I was criticized by a peer/supervisor (it will come to me lol).

Currently brainstorming. Thinking of talking about a volunteering situation where someone was culturally insensitive but had good intentions. Something better may come to me later.

I am thinking about someone I had a group project with. They did not do their fair share and did not communicate well. Basically took an intervention to deal with.

I am thinking about someone I had a group project with. They did not do their fair share and did not communicate well. Basically took an intervention to deal with.
Yeah. I'm thinking about talking about a coworker I butted head with a lot in a previous job and how we had to constantly "be real" with each other to get stuff done. I also HATE the wording of this prompt. "how did you handle this person," comes off as very... aggressive.

I'm stumped on this one and the last time I was criticized by a peer/supervisor (it will come to me lol).

Currently brainstorming. Thinking of talking about a volunteering situation where someone was culturally insensitive but had good intentions. Something better may come to me later.
Luckily I just received a bit of constructive criticism from my supervisor so I'm feeling okay about that one haha

• Haha
Good luck to the people currently working on these secondaries. Has been a huge headache due to sheer volume and unique questions.

Unsure of if they screen for secondaries, but I HIGHLY recommend ppl pre-write for this school!!

Good luck to the people currently working on these secondaries. Has been a huge headache due to sheer volume and unique questions.

Unsure of if they screen for secondaries, but I HIGHLY recommend ppl pre-write for this school!!
Not sure of their current practices, but as far as I'm aware they prescreened for secondaries with a hard stat cut off of 502/3.0 and possibly some other minor, unknown requirements for several years. Not sure how much has changed since but I have no reason to believe they've stopped screening. They state at least a 504 is preferred now but I'm not sure if that's a new hard cut off or if exceptions are made. Other than that I'm somehwhat sure being from the IE affects screening if they're "on the fence" about an applicant.

Ya this one is rough, it is moved near the bottom of my secondary to do list now cuz of that XD. Got like 10 left still ugh. Why did I apply to so many schools!

The teamwork questions is challenging. the way it's worded is making by brain hurt

The teamwork questions is challenging. the way it's worded is making by brain hurt

What helped me a lot with this school was knowing that a lot of their emphasis is on team-based learning. They want to know you work well with other people.

I took another essay I had written about leadership and tweaked it.

What helped me a lot with this school was knowing that a lot of their emphasis is on team-based learning. They want to know you work well with other people.

I took another essay I had written about leadership and tweaked it.

Yeah I’m writing about my past experiences on teams (sports/work) and how it helped me learn the importance of understanding strengths/weaknesses, valuing feedback/criticism etc..

That one was a bear (pun intended). So glad I prewrote it and 100% would recommend prewriting.

Submitted today after several rounds of drafts... this one was intense!

If I'm OOS now but lived in CA 1 hr from their campus my whole live is it worth submitting this secondary? Their OOS interview rate is 0.2%.... just been staring at this secondary. What do u guys think?

If I'm OOS now but lived in CA 1 hr from their campus my whole live is it worth submitting this secondary? Their OOS interview rate is 0.2%.... just been staring at this secondary. What do u guys think?
I would skip it personally especially if you had applied to 50 schools already like your signature suggests.

How did you all approach the integrity prompt? I'm a little stumped on that one right now haha

Received secondary on 8/1. Is there any deadline to submit secondary application for this School. I still have 4 more essays to write....was concerned if it is going to be a late submission.

Received secondary on 8/1. Is there any deadline to submit secondary application for this School. I still have 4 more essays to write....was concerned if it is going to be a late submission.
website states: The deadline for submission of Secondary/Supplemental Application is December 30, 2021.

Hi new applicants! I am a current M2 and a Student Ambassador here at CUSM, so if later in the cycle you're invited to an interview it's possible you'll see me during the interview day. The application process is long and stressful as I'm sure you all know, so if I can help with any of your questions or concerns please feel free to tag me or send me a dm! Best of luck to you all during this new application cycle you guys got this!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
just submitted this secondary...wow took me a whole 5 days to write. hoping for good news!!