2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got invited to interview! Monday, March 7th, can't wait!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any info on second look day here?

Reactions: 1 users
Or has any one heard anything about scholarship offers/info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have more info in the gym? I know this is sort of superfluous compared to admission, but I wish there was more information on the gym on the UTHSC website! They pretty much just have a picture of some weights. Assuming there are showers, stuff like that? I have no idea. Anyone use it often? Looking forward to the fall!

Does anyone have more info in the gym? I know this is sort of superfluous compared to admission, but I wish there was more information on the gym on the UTHSC website! They pretty much just have a picture of some weights. Assuming there are showers, stuff like that? I have no idea. Anyone use it often? Looking forward to the fall!

A buddy of mine in Pharm school said the gym was absolutely terrible. He had to get a membership somewhere else.

Congratulations!!! Hope April brings positive news for us!

A buddy of mine in Pharm school said the gym was absolutely terrible. He had to get a membership somewhere else.
Dang. Was worried about that. Normally there are tons of pictures if it is a good gym. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will take that into consideration when I am looking for housing.

Congrats to those who were just accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have one? I've never heard of a mention of a Second Look day here...
I just got an email this morning for a second look type- "women's weekend" that's taking place on April 8 & 9th. I'm not sure if the school will organize a similar even for men though!

I just got an email this morning for a second look type- "women's weekend" that's taking place on April 8 & 9th. I'm not sure if the school will organize a similar even for men though!

I remember last application cycle there was something in April! I think it was an opportunity to get familiarized with the area, including housing information. I can't seem to find any emails about it, but I remember it being mentioned. I am sure something similar will happen this year. (I deferred from the 14-15 cycle)

April 8-9 is the women's weekend, and 15-17 is second look/housing weekend called "Right here in Memphis" sent out 2+ weeks ago.

April 8-9 is the women's weekend, and 15-17 is second look/housing weekend called "Right here in Memphis" sent out 2+ weeks ago.

How was it sent out? I haven't seen anything in my email or mail.

Does anyone know how many acceptances they give out? I know the class is 165.

Does anyone know if UTHSC has a requirement for your final grades? I know one school I was accepted to required that this semester have no lower than a B in each class. I can't find anything like that on the web page or in my acceptance packet.

Does anyone know if UTHSC has a requirement for your final grades? I know one school I was accepted to required that this semester have no lower than a B in each class. I can't find anything like that on the web page or in my acceptance packet.

+1

^would really be appreciated if someone knows!

They don't say anything along those lines but I would assume that as long as you maintain the trend in your grades that you have so far you will be fine. Obviously if you have a 4.0 and make straight D's then that might raise a flag. However I don't think that they will revoke your acceptance if you make a few Bs or something like that, especially since senior year (for me at least) is when a lot of your more difficult courses are taken.

Hold.
3.4 undergrad, 4.0 grad, 38 old mcat, 517 new mcat. In state.
Darn it.

Just curious but why did you take the new mcat if you had a 38?
Two of the schools I applied to required the new one, and my old one was from 2011, so it wasn't expired yet but was pushing it.

Edit: not "required," but I was told they preferred it and they'd be comparing me against other 2015-ers so they strongly suggested it.

Two of the schools I applied to required the new one, and my old one was from 2011, so it wasn't expired yet but was pushing it.

Edit: not "required," but I was told they preferred it and they'd be comparing me against other 2015-ers so they strongly suggested it.

Wow you have very goos stats..still on hold?

Hold.
3.4 undergrad, 4.0 grad, 38 old mcat, 517 new mcat. In state.
Darn it.
Almost makes me wonder what they're looking for if you're on hold. Ive got a a 3.3 uGPA, 3.6 grad, and 510 MCAT and I am also on hold. Seems strange.

Lot of acceptances happen from hold list.. so hang in there.

Almost makes me wonder what they're looking for if you're on hold. Ive got a a 3.3 uGPA, 3.6 grad, and 510 MCAT and I am also on hold. Seems strange.
For real. Med school admissions is a weird game.

You interviewed on 16th.. just got your hold?
Yeah they just mailed mine out on Tuesday. I got the little letter and was hoping it was the survey. Oh well. Waiting, round two!

Y'all I just now got an interview invite for March 28th. (I submitted my secondary early September). Considering it's super late in the cycle, am I basically interviewing for the wait list?

Y'all I just now got an interview invite for March 28th. (I submitted my secondary early September). Considering it's super late in the cycle, am I basically interviewing for the wait list?
Nelson said they still have spots. They just take less from each interview pool than at the beginning of the cycle.

Did anyone else not get their survey emails the day they were supposed to? Diane told my group we get it 3/11 but still nothing! hahaha

If you don't mind sharing, what were your extracurriculars like?
4 years clinical volunteering, big sister for big brothers big sisters for 4+ years, 100ish hours of random community service events through my grad school and college.
80+ hours of clinical shadowing, 7 years of academic research, three publications, and 3 years in clinical research.

4 years clinical volunteering, big sister for big brothers big sisters for 4+ years, 100ish hours of random community service events through my grad school and college.
80+ hours of clinical shadowing, 7 years of academic research, three publications, and 3 years in clinical research.
Wow that's ridiculous you were waitlisted

Edit: I have friends that got waitlisted at ETSU and various DO schools. Their MCAT was much higher then the average for the school. I feel like schools reject/waitlist overly competitive students because schools will accept a certain number of students like 120 for ETSU. They don't want to "waste" an acceptance on student that might go somewhere.

If your interview went well, I imagine the above scenario might explain your situation

Last edited:
Wow that's ridiculous you were waitlisted

Edit: I have friends that got waitlisted at ETSU and various DO schools. Their MCAT was much higher then the average for the school. I feel like schools reject/waitlist overly competitive students because schools will accept a certain number of students like 120 for ETSU. They don't want to "waste" an acceptance on student that might go somewhere.

If your interview went well, I imagine the above scenario might explain your situation

Yeah this practice is called "yield guarding" and it's a frustrating practice.

Yeah this practice is called "yield guarding" and it's a frustrating practice.
My interview seemed to go really well, probably one of the best I've gone to. I didn't know they did that, but it makes sense - I got into schools that I thought were dream reaches and got rejected or waitlisted from others that I thought I really had a shot at. I also got waitlisted from schools with amazing interviews and accepted after interviews where I was kicking myself afterwards for thinking I messed it up.
You never really know how it'll go, but good luck to everyone else on the hold list keeping me company :)

. I didn't know they did that, but it makes sense
Yea apparently the hold list was almost twice the class size last year. So it seems they are quite concerned about their yield.

Yea apparently the hold list was almost twice the class size last year. So it seems they are quite concerned about their yield.

However, when I asked Nelson Strother said that they don't really take letter of intents into account so i don't know what they want lol! if they are truly yield guarding then you would think a LOI would mean something.

However, when I asked Nelson Strother said that they don't really take letter of intents into account so i don't know what they want lol! if they are truly yield guarding then you would think a LOI would mean something.
Right. So in short it's just annoying.

Yeah they just mailed mine out on Tuesday. I got the little letter and was hoping it was the survey. Oh well. Waiting, round two!

So did you never get a survey email? Still waiting on one and a decision over here.

So did you never get a survey email? Still waiting on one and a decision over here.
Haha no, never got the survey.
It takes a while. They don't meet every Friday, and then they mail it out the Friday after that, but it usually ends up being th following Monday or Tuesday.