2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A friend of mine got her survey today.

Members don't see this ad.

A student I talked to last year said UT usually accepts around 220 or so applicants each year. All the other waitlisted applicants are officially rejected in July
I guess they can afford to risk decreasing their yield. Seeing as the majority of IS students will probably matriculate if they are not accepted to Quillen. Smaller class size so "less risk" of accepting a student that will go there instead of UTHSC.

Edit: makes sense in my head. Might not in yours. Haha

A student I talked to last year said UT usually accepts around 220 or so applicants each year. All the other waitlisted applicants are officially rejected in July
Wow that's a really low number, I would have assumed they would accept more since they're a public school and a lot of students may view it as a "safety." If it comes down to UT or a mid-tier or higher private school I would think UT would come up short on most students' lists. That's if tuition money isn't an object...which of course it is...
Good to know, thanks!

Edit: I know that waitlisters get rejected in July, but I mean has anyone gotten a decision letter in the mail two weeks after their interview that was a flat-out rejection? UT seems to string everyone along instead of rejecting outright, since it's HIGHLY doubtful they're going to move through 150 people on the waitlist to get to the last 50. I just found that to be an odd practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's a really low number, I would have assumed they would accept more since they're a public school and a lot of students may view it as a "safety." If it comes down to UT or a mid-tier or higher private school I would think UT would come up short on most students' lists. That's if tuition money isn't an object...which of course it is...
Good to know, thanks!

Edit: I know that waitlisters get rejected in July, but I mean has anyone gotten a decision letter in the mail two weeks after their interview that was a flat-out rejection? UT seems to string everyone along instead of rejecting outright, since it's HIGHLY doubtful they're going to move through 150 people on the waitlist to get to the last 50. I just found that to be an odd practice.
I agree. Does seem quite odd.

Someone was accepted off hold today.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview invite earlier this afternoon for the 24th. Anyone familiar with Dr Reid and Dr Brewer?

Got an interview invite earlier this afternoon for the 24th. Anyone familiar with Dr Reid and Dr Brewer?
I'm not familiar with Dr. Reid, but Dr. Brewer is an Associate Dean. She is a very nice lady. Pretty laid back and easy to talk to. This is coming from an M1 perspective and I didn't interview with her but I would guess she wouldn't be a bad one to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted, have you all received an email from AMCAS about the criminal background check in January?

For those who have been accepted, have you all received an email from AMCAS about the criminal background check in January?

I received an email from certiphi about it in January.

got an II for the 22nd! Is anyone familiar with Dr. Satterfield?
Dr. Satterfield may be the nicest lady in the world haha. She is our biostatistics professor. Very down to earth and has a huge heart. You lucked out I would say!

Reactions: 2 users
Well I emailed Dean Strother yesterday to try and get some advice for a reapplication as I think it is about that time to start thinking about it. When I emailed him, he kind of brushed it off and told me that there's no reason to start planning until final decisions have come out. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Well I emailed Dean Strother yesterday to try and get some advice for a reapplication as I think it is about that time to start thinking about it. When I emailed him, he kind of brushed it off and told me that there's no reason to start planning until final decisions have come out. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
An undergrad in my lab is currently applying here also and called Mr. Strother last week - apparently he told her that they aren't going to know much more about the rank or who will be a wait lister or who will be taken off of hold until more interviews are done. I know a couple people asked them in April/May of last year if they should get recommendations and a personal statement in order for June and they were STILL clandestine about it at that point (up until late May when they finally said "yeah I guess you should go ahead and apply at this point").

I feel like they know so little of how it's going to go - there are still more interviews and people are still sitting on acceptances from UT until they hear back from other schools and open up more availability here. I wouldn't worry, there should be a lot of movement in the next month or so.

An undergrad in my lab is currently applying here also and called Mr. Strother last week - apparently he told her that they aren't going to know much more about the rank or who will be a wait lister or who will be taken off of hold until more interviews are done. I know a couple people asked them in April/May of last year if they should get recommendations and a personal statement in order for June and they were STILL clandestine about it at that point (up until late May when they finally said "yeah I guess you should go ahead and apply at this point").

I feel like they know so little of how it's going to go - there are still more interviews and people are still sitting on acceptances from UT until they hear back from other schools and open up more availability here. I wouldn't worry, there should be a lot of movement in the next month or so.
Gah that is so frustrating! It might be that I had heard he was always so helpful that when I got that response I didn't feel satisfied with it. Just makes all of this so difficult. If there is a glaring problem with my application that I do not know about until May, that does not leave much time to fix it before having to put my app in again.

Gah that is so frustrating! It might be that I had heard he was always so helpful that when I got that response I didn't feel satisfied with it. Just makes all of this so difficult. If there is a glaring problem with my application that I do not know about until May, that does not leave much time to fix it before having to put my app in again.
I don't know how long you've been waiting, but have you sent an update?

I don't know how long you've been waiting, but have you sent an update?
I interviewed 1st week of December. Then placed on hold before Christmas. I sent an update right after the new year.

I had similar experiences when I emailed him in January. Unfortunately, they don't share information about your application or chances unless there is something obviously wrong. Did he give a rough date that they hope to have final decisions out by?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I had similar experiences when I emailed him in January. Unfortunately, they don't share information about your application or chances unless there is something obviously wrong. Did he give a rough date that they hope to have final decisions out by?

He didn't give any indication of a date that they will make final decisions. He just said they still have another month and a half of interviews.

He didn't give any indication of a date that they will make final decisions. He just said they still have another month and a half of interviews.

I had a very similar response from him. It is frustrating because you know that he has to know there is no way the 200+ people they have on hold right now will get a spot or even an upper spot on waitlist so I wish they would at least let some people know that its a no. It would give time to vamp up a re-app and it would give those still on hold a little bit more hope since it wouldnt be such a large number on hold

That's really unfortunate... I swear every time I have spoke with Strother or other people at UTHSC they said the office will gladly alert you about your rank on the waitlist and what you can be working on to improve your application.... Or maybe that was just ETSU...

I had a very similar response from him. It is frustrating because you know that he has to know there is no way the 200+ people they have on hold right now will get a spot or even an upper spot on waitlist so I wish they would at least let some people know that its a no. It would give time to vamp up a re-app and it would give those still on hold a little bit more hope since it wouldnt be such a large number on hold
Exactly my point...it sucks so much. Maybe I'll get the call from ETSU this week and not even worry anymore.

Does anyone know an approximate number of how many they have accepted so far?

So I spoke to Mr. Strothers about a week after receiving my hold letter, and we reviewed my application in case I need to apply next year. I had a specific list of questions about how my app looked etc. He said I was a strong applicant, didn't need to retake MCAT or anything etc. It wasn't massively helpful, but I did get an idea of the direction I need to be going if I don't get in this year.

I think he is getting swamped with requests like these, so I wouldn't worry.

fingers crossed!

Anyone from 16th interview date heard back their results?

Well folks, got my letter today. Rejection letter number two post-interview. Interviewed the 9th of Feb.

Good luck to everyone!

When you're accepted to a school, does something on you online AMCAS application change or do you receive some sort of emailed notification from AMCAS?

When you're accepted to a school, does something on you online AMCAS application change or do you receive some sort of emailed notification from AMCAS?
No, definitely no email and I've never noticed anything online

Well folks, got my letter today. Rejection letter number two post-interview. Interviewed the 9th of Feb.

Good luck to everyone!
Aw I'm sorry. I didn't even know they sent out rejections post-interview.

Good luck to everyone!

Sorry, that sucks. Do you mind sharing your stats? I didn't know they did that either.

Also 16th. I distinctly remember them saying they weren't mailing letters until this coming Friday.

I couldn't remember if they said they were mailing them by this Friday or we'd receive them by this Friday. So, that clears some things up. Thanks.

Good Luck for those who are all waiting for the results ...

Hi All. First time poster, long time stalker of this thread haha

I have my interview next week, and I am very excited. I've been accepted into ETSU back in October (love the school) As of now UT ranks higher on my list.

My question was, have any of you heard of applicants interviewing this late getting accepted into UT? Just want some opinions

My stats: 3.94 cum/science/ non science. Mcat 27 11/8/8
Some of my EC's: Student body VP, SGA 2 years
Worked 10-15 hours/week all 4 years between my parent's motel, and another job
TA for freshman seminar class 3 years
President of an honor society for one year
600 clinical hours between shadowing and clinical volunteering
150 non clinical volunteering
3 months of research no publications ( my weakest EC)
3 service trips (Additional 100 hours). One abroad. Student Leader of another

Last edited:

I have my interview next week, and I am very excited. I've been accepted into ETSU back in October (love the school) As of now UT ranks higher on my list.

My question was, have any of you heard of applicants interviewing this late getting accepted into UT? Just want some opinions

I know several people in the last 2 cycles who were accepted after interviewing in March. You definitely aren't interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

I just interviewed here earlier in the week and this was brought up. More than once. They definitely have spots left. They probably won't be accepting the same percentage of people from each interview group as they did in November, but there is room.

P.S. - Diane and Nelson are probably the sweetest, kindest people I've ever met from a medical school, like, ever. If you have any questions, you can call them.

Last edited:
Can any of you comment about the interview experience? From what it seems, it's relaxed but changes with the interviewer.

Can any of you comment about the interview experience? From what it seems, it's relaxed but changes with the interviewer.
I really enjoyed my interview here. The first hour was Nelson giving a briefing on the school, their curriculum, research opportunities, etc. (essentially preparing you for any of the "why UTHSC?" questions you may get during an interview).

You will have two 1-hour interviews: one is closed-file, so they don't have your AMCAS in front of them (however, I am certain that they read your AMCAS at one point because my interviewer came prepared with a page of notes) - they are essentially trying to get an idea of you as a person. During this interview I got a few ethics questions, but it was mostly a stimulating back-and-forth conversation and didn't seem like an interview at all. I was prepared for/expecting current events questions or something about politics but I didn't get any, it was very relaxed.
The second interview was open-file and this is where you get "grilled" about your MCAT, any low grades, how you've spent any off-time, etc. It's more intense than the closed-file but nowhere near as stressful as some MMIs that I have been to where they are purposely trying to throw you off.

You have lunch with current students, get a tour of the campus, and get to see students in the anatomy labs/lecture halls. When I interviewed there were PT/OT students in the anatomy labs.

Overall it was very laid back, and very, very informative - they paint a good picture of their school and I didn't feel like they were covering up or trying to hide anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I really enjoyed my interview here. The first hour was Nelson giving a briefing on the school, their curriculum, research opportunities, etc. (essentially preparing you for any of the "why UTHSC?" questions you may get during an interview).

You will have two 1-hour interviews: one is closed-file, so they don't have your AMCAS in front of them (however, I am certain that they read your AMCAS at one point because my interviewer came prepared with a page of notes) - they are essentially trying to get an idea of you as a person. During this interview I got a few ethics questions, but it was mostly a stimulating back-and-forth conversation and didn't seem like an interview at all. I was prepared for/expecting current events questions or something about politics but I didn't get any, it was very relaxed.
The second interview was open-file and this is where you get "grilled" about your MCAT, any low grades, how you've spent any off-time, etc. It's more intense than the closed-file but nowhere near as stressful as some MMIs that I have been to where they are purposely trying to throw you off.

You have lunch with current students, get a tour of the campus, and get to see students in the anatomy labs/lecture halls. When I interviewed there were PT/OT students in the anatomy labs.

Overall it was very laid back, and very, very informative - they paint a good picture of their school and I didn't feel like they were covering up or trying to hide anything.
^this sums it up completely. Only difference on my day was that we couldn't see the anatomy labs. Still a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well, I just received they survey email. I interviewed on the 16th. We'll see what happens.