2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha! Well shouldn't yours have already been decided last week? or did they not meet last Friday?
I just really want my decision to come in before I leave for vacation next Saturday! And I live in Maryland right now, so it takes a little longer.

No they told us the next meeting was the 11th when I interviewed

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No they told us the next meeting was the 11th when I interviewed
Ah I see! I thought they met every Friday. Well good luck! I can imagine decisions have been made and just need to be sent!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody get their UT netid and password sent to them yet?
I received mine about two weeks ago, but I heard back in the first batch of letters. It took about three weeks all things considered.

I have almost identical stats and majors with a little more clinical experience. I've also been completed way longer and no interview. I emailed and was told they plan on interviewing me just don't have a date planned yet

Same here. I have a 517 MCAT, 3.5 uGPA, 4.0 grad school gpa (M.Sc and PhD), publications, tons of research experience, three years teaching experience, and three years of clinical experience, and I haven't heard anything since my secondary. I received a secondary on the first day and submitted it that afternoon and have heard nothing since. I have three other acceptances and nothing from here yet, so I wouldn't worry, UT clearly seems to have a weird way of going down the list. How are you doing with other schools?

Same here. I have a 517 MCAT, 3.5 uGPA, 4.0 grad school gpa (M.Sc and PhD), publications, tons of research experience, three years teaching experience, and three years of clinical experience, and I haven't heard anything since my secondary. I received a secondary on the first day and submitted it that afternoon and have heard nothing since. I have three other acceptances and nothing from here yet, so I wouldn't worry, UT clearly seems to have a weird way of going down the list. How are you doing with other schools?
I was quickly rejected from ETSU and haven't heard back from any other schools

nope, I'm thinking it'll be Friday like Dr. Strother said
Ugh. I should've known it was too good to be true when she told us they would be sent out early.
Also, congrats on the ETSU acceptance!

Ugh. I should've known it was too good to be true when she told us they would be sent out early.
Also, congrats on the ETSU acceptance!
thank you!! Hopefully we'll both get some good news from UT soon

I was quickly rejected from ETSU and haven't heard back from any other schools
I had a similar experience with ETSU, as have many others with stats above their averages. Every school seems to have their own weird processes but we're in the same boat with UT and I'm sending you good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar experience with ETSU, as have many others with stats above their averages. Every school seems to have their own weird processes but we're in the same boat with UT and I'm sending you good luck!
I've been told that they aren't taking many people from west Tennessee since it's basically out of their area. Not sure if that's true but if so it's very frustrating.

Given that UTHSC allows you to rotate in west Tennessee, that seems surprising.

I've been told that they aren't taking many people from west Tennessee since it's basically out of their area. Not sure if that's true but if so it's very frustrating.

I'm from West TN, and I was placed on active hold at the beginning of Nov.

I'm assuming y'all are meaning East Tennessee? Memphis is about as west tn as you can get

We were talking about getting rejected from ETSU
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize that. But also,. I live in Memphis and got accepted to etsu and several interviewees on my day were from Memphis/Jackson as well so I don't think that is necessarily true. They just only have 70 spots so they have to be picky

I received my netID from admissions this morning. I was in the second wave of acceptances.

I feel like someone in the last years thread received their decision by email for some reason? Am I wrong or did someone else come across this?

I feel like someone in the last years thread received their decision by email for some reason? Am I wrong or did someone else come across this?
I saw that once, but they specifically asked for it because of special circumstances

I saw that once, but they specifically asked for it because of special circumstances
Do you happen to know the reason for it? I am leaving Saturday for vacation for three weeks and it'll drive me crazy not knowing. And I currently live in Maryland, so I doubt it'll be there before I leave.

Do you happen to know the reason for it? I am leaving Saturday for vacation for three weeks and it'll drive me crazy not knowing. And I currently live in Maryland, so I doubt it'll be there before I leave.
I thought the reason I read was he was about to travel for another interview but wanted to cancel the interview if he had gotten accepted to UT. I think it's worth a shot to ask! Worst that can happen is they say sorry we can't ... But I bet they'll tell you!

I thought the reason I read was he was about to travel for another interview but wanted to cancel the interview if he had gotten accepted to UT. I think it's worth a shot to ask! Worst that can happen is they say sorry we can't ... But I bet they'll tell you!
Yea I tried to search last years thread but was unsuccessful. I'm deciding between a phone call or an email! Phone call is more direct but I'd prefer to not get bad news over the phone if it's not good. But then again, she may take a while to get back to me by email.

Yea I tried to search last years thread but was unsuccessful. I'm deciding between a phone call or an email! Phone call is more direct but I'd prefer to not get bad news over the phone if it's not good. But then again, she may take a while to get back to me by email.
I think I would do email but that is just me. Let us know how it goes!

I think I would do email but that is just me. Let us know how it goes!
Yea I'm not sure just yet.
Anyone gotten quick responses as far as emails besides the interview confirmation? My address change took a week to get a response.

Anyone gotten quick responses as far as emails besides the interview confirmation? My address change took a week to get a response.
I had a question for Dr Strother and he responded within the day. Also I rescheduled my interview and Ms Harris was quick

Dr Strother has responded to me same day every time I talk to him

I posted about my frustrating situation with them earlier...but I'm originally from the northeast and moved to middle TN years ago. I am a TN resident myself, my husband is from Nashville, we own a home in Nashville, I work at Vandy, blah blah...anyway, ETSU told me that I was out of state and thus rejected. I was told that if I had children who were born in TN I would be considered "in state." At the time, I hadn't been accepted anywhere else yet but I made up in my mind that if I had to re-apply, ETSU wouldn't be getting my money, babies or not.

They take residency very seriously, so I wouldn't be surprised if they accept less students from West TN than East.

Fingers crossed for UT!!

I posted about my frustrating situation with them earlier...but I'm originally from the northeast and moved to middle TN years ago. I am a TN resident myself, my husband is from Nashville, we own a home in Nashville, I work at Vandy, blah blah...anyway, ETSU told me that I was out of state and thus rejected. I was told that if I had children who were born in TN I would be considered "in state." At the time, I hadn't been accepted anywhere else yet but I made up in my mind that if I had to re-apply, ETSU wouldn't be getting my money, babies or not.

They take residency very seriously, so I wouldn't be surprised if they accept less students from West TN than East.

Fingers crossed for UT!!

^This makes me LOL (not at your pitfall) but at the lack of transparency and even blatant deception their admissions invokes as they've already accepted 9/10 OOS that they've interviewed this cycle. I have been very frustrated with their admissions at times as well. Seems very political to say the least, who knows how they offer acceptances aside from their 'mission'.

Anyhow, does anyone know the number of merit vs needs based scholarships UT offers yearly to the incoming class? (some probably being recruitment scholarships)
I've looked but couldn't find any firm numbers

Ended up emailing her. Hopefully she is in the office today!

I hope that our decisions get here soon!

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm guessing she didn't respond to your email?
She did not. So I'll either have to wait until she responds or my roommates get it out of the mail. Hoping for the latter to happen today!

I got hold as well. After looking at last years thread I wonder if they always put everyone on hold right at holiday break and then mid/late Jan re-review them and accept some off of hold and the rest go to waitlist
Yea I'm not sure. I'm hoping that's the case. I haven't heard of anyone being accepted yet. And I had many friends a part of our review. All great applicants too.

Still no secondary from UT, but I also haven't received the "no longer under consideration" letter. I"m wondering if sending in this past semester's grades is even worth it. Any thoughts?

Still no secondary from UT, but I also haven't received the "no longer under consideration" letter. I"m wondering if sending in this past semester's grades is even worth it. Any thoughts?
At the interview day, Dean Strother told us that they are very receptive to anything you want to update them on. I don't think they would be against anything before interview either.

Got accepted today! Interviewed middle of November. I am an OOS student with little ties to the state.

Stats for those who are curious:
34 MCAT , 3.8 GPA, 3 years research, good amount of clinical volunteering, strong extra curriculars.

I honestly thought 1 of my 2 interviews did not go amazing, but that may have been my interviewers style. Great school, good luck to everyone waiting on decisions!

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted today! Interviewed middle of November. I am an OOS student with little ties to the state.

Stats for those who are curious:
34 MCAT , 3.8 GPA, 3 years research, good amount of clinical volunteering, strong extra curriculars.

I honestly thought 1 of my 2 interviews did not go amazing, but that may have been my interviewers style. Great school, good luck to everyone waiting on decisions!

Did you get put on hold first or you just now heard back?

Has anyone who has interviewed not heard anything one way or the other? As of today I haven't received any emails or actual mail. I interviewed 12/1.