2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to say that I turned down my other offers yesterday so I am officially committed to UT!! Can't wait to meet everybody in a few months

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm actually a Californian. My dad is a graduate of the University of Tennessee. Am I still applicable to apply as an "in-state" applicant with preference? I read something about preference being given to those resident of Tennessee, bordering states, as well as alumni kids.
You wouldn't be an in-state applicant unless you or your parents now have lived and worked in TN for x-number of years. However, you would likely stand out as the child of an alum if your dad graduated from the medical school (and not just the undergraduate institution, which is unclear). You would be more likely to get an interview, but it isn't a given.

"Applications are considered from: [1] Tennessee residents, [2] residents of the eight states contiguous to Tennessee - Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and [3] children of UT system alumni regardless of their state of residence, i.e., father or mother."

My parents are UT system alum. I'm not sure what this means, but does this mean I meet the residency requirements?

No, it means you have a chance at an interview if the rest of your application meets their standards. You'll still have to pay OOS tuition if you don't meet residency requirements, they are pretty extensive

Spoke with Nelson today. List is currently at 34. Hopefully it keeps up this pace. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Found out yesterday around lunch time. I was told Top 50 so the list seems to be moving fairly deep this year. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED!! Got the call yesterday afternoon!! I'm so excited!!! I was told I was in the Top 55. Best of luck to y'all!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where the alternate list is right now?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone happen to know if they have moved beyond 61 waitlist offers?

I got a letter today stating that I shouldn't expect an acceptance offer. They're not cutting me from the waitlist, but they told me to move on and prepare for the new application cycle. I was in the middle third of the waitlist.

I got a letter today stating that I shouldn't expect an acceptance offer. They're not cutting me from the waitlist, but they told me to move on and prepare for the new application cycle. I was in the middle third of the waitlist.
Got that letter yesterday. Reapplying right away?

Yes. Re-wrote my personal statement and applied yesterday.

How often do people get accepted from the waitlist this late? I looked at previous discussions, but people seem to stop posting updates about acceptances in early June. Just wondering if I still have a good chance or if I need to go ahead and solidify other plans. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

How often do people get accepted from the waitlist this late? I looked at previous discussions, but people seem to stop posting updates about acceptances in early June. Just wondering if I still have a good chance or if I need to go ahead and solidify other plans. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

By now they should have sent out a letter stating that they don't anticipate being able to accept you. I got my letter about 2 weeks ago. If you haven't gotten it, you may still have a chance.

By now they should have sent out a letter stating that they don't anticipate being able to accept you. I got my letter about 2 weeks ago. If you haven't gotten it, you may still have a chance.

Thank you! I'm trying to remain hopeful but realistic.

Sorry, that sucks. Do you mind sharing your stats? I didn't know they did that either.

Sorry fir taking so long to reply. But going to post here in case anyone is thumbing through old threads and looking at rejection stats.

3.8 undergrad GPA
508 mcat
2000+ hrs as medical technologist
60+ hours clinical volunteer

My mcat was late, and I was told in my interview with the MD that I lacked research and shadowing but looked good otherwise.

Reapplying this year, with a great shadowing experience under the belt at UT's very own Family Medicine location in Knoxville. Docs there were incredible! I anticipate it will be between LMU-DCOM and Memphis this year. Fingers crossed.

Sorry fir taking so long to reply. But going to post here in case anyone is thumbing through old threads and looking at rejection stats.

3.8 undergrad GPA
508 mcat

My mcat was late, and I was told in my interview with the MD that I lacked research and shadowing but looked good otherwise.

Reapplying this year, with a great shadowing experience under the belt at UT's very own Family Medicine location in Knoxville. Docs there were incredible! I anticipate it will be between LMU-DCOM and Memphis this year. Fingers crossed.
Good luck!!

Question. If you are OOS and complete not in June/July how long does it take to receive a secondary?

3.8 undergrad GPA
508 mcat

@BlueFeesh Don't want to discourage you...because I spent a great deal of time shadowing in knox as well. UT Knox is essentially a different university, and there is a rift btwn there and memphis, doesn't mean it isn't worth mentioning in your interview...but anyhow this is just a heads up. good luck this cycle!

@AnAlienIntrusion Yes, this has always been the case as far as I know.