2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hello- I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to still attend USU if you have a history of asthma, but no current symptoms. I heard you can still attend with a sign-off from your dr. Is this true??

hello- I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to still attend USU if you have a history of asthma, but no current symptoms. I heard you can still attend with a sign-off from your dr. Is this true??

Will likely require a waiver. It can still happen, but they’ll have to approve you, and you’ll probably need documentation about when you were diagnosed, last treatment, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Back again this cycle after hold status. Best of luck to all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students, does it seem too much of a "I want to be like mommy and daddy" situation to mention my parents' service as Navy docs in the secondary app? I have entirely avoided talking about them in primary and secondary pre-writing for this reason. Thanks for input

Any current students, does it seem too much of a "I want to be like mommy and daddy" situation to mention my parents' service as Navy docs in the secondary app? I have entirely avoided talking about them in primary and secondary pre-writing for this reason. Thanks for input

IMO, that can be a reason why you started thinking about serving, but you need more than that. For example, my stepdad was in the Army. When asked why I joined, I said that I was doing a lot of taking and not a lot of giving, and I wanted a way to better myself while doing something for my country, and my stepdad’s service inspired me to join the military. So it was in there, but wasn’t the main reason.

Reactions: 2 users
IMO, that can be a reason why you started thinking about serving, but you need more than that. For example, my stepdad was in the Army. When asked why I joined, I said that I was doing a lot of taking and not a lot of giving, and I wanted a way to better myself while doing something for my country, and my stepdad’s service inspired me to join the military. So it was in there, but wasn’t the main reason.
Thanks, I will try to balance it. They are the reason I was exposed to military medicine, so I did not want to completely leave it out for this one.

The more I learn about this school and its students, the less qualified I feel. It'll be a privilege to even be considered to join y'all. Good luck to all.

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could give advice on the possibility of being rejected on the basis of yield protection from USUHS? USUHS has been my top choice school for years. I got my MCAT score yesterday and was literally shocked that I got a 517. I'm obviously really happy, but one of my friends mentioned that sometimes if the score is significantly higher than the median it can be an issue? I'm really looking for genuine advice on if anyone knows if this is a possibility!

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could give advice on the possibility of being rejected on the basis of yield protection from USUHS? USUHS has been my top choice school for years. I got my MCAT score yesterday and was literally shocked that I got a 517. I'm obviously really happy, but one of my friends mentioned that sometimes if the score is significantly higher than the median it can be an issue? I'm really looking for genuine advice on if anyone knows if this is a possibility!

Zero chance of that happening.

Quick question since you're the resident expert on USUHS, where do students typically live? Do many of them purchase homes with VA loans?

I wouldn’t recommend buying a house. If you have a family and you are going to homestead as much as possible in clerkship year and put all your chips into that or you’re willing to pay a mortgage while you’re rotating elsewhere, then that’s fine. But most people rent so that they have the option to just give up the lease come clerkship year. It will just depend on your situation and preferences.

But most people do not buy. Most people live around Bethesda and in Rockville. Some live in DC. Some live in Virginia, and I think it is an underrated place to live. I chose to live there and love it.

I wouldn’t recommend buying a house. If you have a family and you are going to homestead as much as possible in clerkship year and put all your chips into that or you’re willing to pay a mortgage while you’re rotating elsewhere, then that’s fine. But most people rent so that they have the option to just give up the lease come clerkship year. It will just depend on your situation and preferences.

But most people do not buy. Most people live around Bethesda and in Rockville. Some live in DC. Some live in Virginia, and I think it is an underrated place to live. I chose to live there and love it.
Thanks yeah I was interested because the prices around the area are astronomical, so even with solid BAH it would be crazy to drop 1.2mil on a house while in medical school. I've just always lived in cities so I'm looking forward to owning land eventually. But a lot of my friends from younger days live in DC and Arlington so I would probably look into joining in with some of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks yeah I was interested because the prices around the area are astronomical, so even with solid BAH it would be crazy to drop 1.2mil on a house while in medical school. I've just always lived in cities so I'm looking forward to owning land eventually. But a lot of my friends from younger days live in DC and Arlington so I would probably look into joining in with some of them.

Yeah I wouldn’t buy. Not in a long shot. Especially not now.

Hello, the USUHS admissions page says that it considers prior service applicants exactly the same as civilian applicants without any service history. My question is how far this is really true. Certainly, it is more likely that a prior service applicant would be more likely to recommission in the future, and I can see on MSAR that around a third of the class each year has military experience. Will my service influence the decision of whether or not to interview me?

Also, a couple of other questions. First, if I am currently serving and fortunate enough to be interviewed, would I be encouraged to wear my dress uniform, or would civilian formalwear be acceptable? Second, would I receive O1-E pay while attending the school? Does time attending the USUHS (or HPSP, for that matter) count towards retirement? And, last, does the seven-year service commitment include only time as an attending? (so resident time would not count?)

Hello, the USUHS admissions page says that it considers prior service applicants exactly the same as civilian applicants without any service history. My question is how far this is really true. Certainly, it is more likely that a prior service applicant would be more likely to recommission in the future, and I can see on MSAR that around a third of the class each year has military experience. Will my service influence the decision of whether or not to interview me?
It definitely helps. Prior service are considered in the same way as civilians because you don’t need extra stuff like active duty applicants do (letter of release, etc). But it absolutely helps your app.
Also, a couple of other questions. First, if I am currently serving and fortunate enough to be interviewed, would I be encouraged to wear my dress uniform, or would civilian formalwear be acceptable?
You’re required to wear your dress uniform if you’re on active duty.
Second, would I receive O1-E pay while attending the school?
If you have 4 years and 1 day at least, you will get O-1E pay. But it has to be at least 4 years and a day. If you do just a standard 4 year enlistment and get out the same day you joined, but 4 years later, you’ll just get O-1 pay.
Does time attending the USUHS (or HPSP, for that matter) count towards retirement?
They are added on at the end if you serve at least 20 years. So if you retire at 20, they will calculate your multiple for 24 years. But it does not count toward your time in service.
And, last, does the seven-year service commitment include only time as an attending? (so resident time would not count?)
It includes any time spent in a non-training status. So that would be GMO or attending.

Back again this cycle after WL. How much should I plan on changing my secondary responses? I know it shouldn't be a copy/paste but should I aim to completely re-write them or just update/polish them?

Oh I'm sorry I misread. I think if you've got the themes that usu is looking for already you can work on developing them a little more. Read through them and see if there are parts that can use more detail or whether you have a different anecdote that might work better in retrospect. I don't recommend just cursory editing because people who read it the first time could read it again and mentally place you in a category of people from whom they're looking for improvement from last cycle.

Not saying that's definitely what would happen, but I read those and that's what I would do.

Oh I'm sorry I misread. I think if you've got the themes that usu is looking for already you can work on developing them a little more. Read through them and see if there are parts that can use more detail or whether you have a different anecdote that might work better in retrospect. I don't recommend just cursory editing because people who read it the first time could read it again and mentally place you in a category of people from whom they're looking for improvement from last cycle.

Not saying that's definitely what would happen, but I read those and that's what I would do.
Thanks for the advice!

Edit: I got the USU reapplication email today. They made it very clear that they want reapplicants to rewrite the USU secondaries.

Last edited:
Have secondary responses for USU remained the same over the past few cycles? Does anyone have the prompts used last year if so?

Have secondary responses for USU remained the same over the past few cycles? Does anyone have the prompts used last year if so?
From what I've read, the wording changes but the overall prompts remains the same. Here are the ones from last cycle (2020-2021):

1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 character limit)
  2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 character limit)
  3. USU strives to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours will help you participate effectively in this environment. (1500 character limit)
  4. Were there any significant disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in reviewing your application?

Here are the prompts from the 2018-2019 cycle:
  1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (1500 characters)
  2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be high-performing officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (1500 characters)
  3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (1500 characters)

Got my secondary this morning. No changes from last year's prompts.

Reactions: 2 users
I got my secondary and realized that there is a requirement for a 'non-science' letter of recommendation. Are the traditional BCPM classes the only ones that are considered 'science'? I have a letter from a professor in the school of family sciences (Gerontology) and his courses were not BCPM so I was hoping it would fulfill the 'non-science' requirement.

I got my secondary and realized that there is a requirement for a 'non-science' letter of recommendation. Are the traditional BCPM classes the only ones that are considered 'science'? I have a letter from a professor in the school of family sciences (Gerontology) and his courses were not BCPM so I was hoping it would fulfill the 'non-science' requirement.
That should be fine. I used my Masters program director

No. I received my supplemental/secondary application before I was verified last cycle and this cycle.
Nice! I'm assuming they still won't review applications until verified though...Maybe I'm wrong, hoping I'm wrong. Cheers all, have a nice weekend!

Nice! I'm assuming they still won't review applications until verified though...Maybe I'm wrong, hoping I'm wrong. Cheers all, have a nice weekend!
There’s a pre req match portion that can only be done once your app is verified. So, to your point, they won’t review until you get verified.

Anyone know if it is frowned upon to submit more than the four mandatory letters? (assuming all your letters are individuals)

I realized one of my letters that I did not previously submit better fits one of their categories.

Quick question since you're the resident expert on USUHS, where do students typically live? Do many of them purchase homes with VA loans?
You don't qualify for VA loans until you have 6 years in service (I'm current military).

Upon further review (someone correct me if I'm wrong), after reading through the supplemental material, the website, and various links that were imbedded within the supplemental application, it seems like USU would have the right to offer anyone who's completed the supplemental portion (essays, and other information) an interview, regardless of their verification status/prerequisite match. AGAIN, I feel like it's 50, 50 as nothing really reads as absolute on any of the USU material I can find. Being that verification is directly tied to transcripts, and required courses don't need to be completed until 6/1/2022, this doesn't seem like a crazy theory. If anyone has heard from their assigned advisor, or read something somewhere that I've missed, holla out!

Upon further review (someone correct me if I'm wrong), after reading through the supplemental material, the website, and various links that were imbedded within the supplemental application, it seems like USU would have the right to offer anyone who's completed the supplemental portion (essays, and other information) an interview, regardless of their verification status/prerequisite match. AGAIN, I feel like it's 50, 50 as nothing really reads as absolute on any of the USU material I can find. Being that verification is directly tied to transcripts, and required courses don't need to be completed until 6/1/2022, this doesn't seem like a crazy theory. If anyone has heard from their assigned advisor, or read something somewhere that I've missed, holla out!
My advisor told me we have to complete the prerequisite match before we can receive an interview invite

How would it be looked upon if we mention that we had family members who served but not in the US? (All my family members immigrated to the US from Ukraine in the 1980s and most of them served in the Soviet army)

For the prerequisite match, I have only taken one semester of Organic Chemistry lab but the lab was 2 credits. Does this suffice for the prerequisite requirement alone, or do I need to include my Biochemistry course (which didn't include a lab) in this section? It says in the section that the minimum credits is 2, but the minimum grades is also 2

For the prerequisite match, I have only taken one semester of Organic Chemistry lab but the lab was 2 credits. Does this suffice for the prerequisite requirement alone, or do I need to include my Biochemistry course (which didn't include a lab) in this section? It says in the section that the minimum credits is 2, but the minimum grades is also 2
I had the same issue, I just put in the one lab. They say on the portal that they will contact us if they need more info.

I had the same issue, I just put in the one lab. They say on the portal that they will contact us if they need more info.
I ended up including my semester of Biochemistry lecture as well since it mentioned doing that in the instructions section above if you didn't have a second Organic Chem lab and it asked for a minimum of two grades. I'd assume both ways of doing it are fine, especially if you have the minimum organic chem lab credits in the first place.

I ended up including my semester of Biochemistry lecture as well since it mentioned doing that in the instructions section above if you didn't have a second Organic Chem lab and it asked for a minimum of two grades. I'd assume both ways of doing it are fine, especially if you have the minimum organic chem lab credits in the first place.
If not, I've got biochem on my transcript as well lol. I've ran into that issue on other secondaries as well.

If I am going to MEPS for the HPSP scholarship and pass, do I still have to get another medical exam for USUHS?

Also, it doesn't hurt to apply for USUHS and HPSP right ? I know they're different, but apps to both wouldn't hurt either one correct?

If I am going to MEPS for the HPSP scholarship and pass, do I still have to get another medical exam for USUHS?

Also, it doesn't hurt to apply for USUHS and HPSP right ? I know they're different, but apps to both wouldn't hurt either one correct?
I'm applying to both. I think a lot of people do that.

When I applied 3 years ago, I needed to get separate physicals.
No, many people apply to both. Just don’t accept the HPSP if you get it until you’re sure you aren’t going to USUHS.

Suddenly, my enthusiasm for USU is a little skewed.
To be fair, I don't think this would affect us if we're accepted this year. But its not a great sign for the future of USUHS. Also, military medicine in general is in a constant battle to defend their billets.

To be fair, I don't think this would affect us if we're accepted this year. But its not a great sign for the future of USUHS. Also, military medicine in general is in a constant battle to defend their billets.
True. My logic might be a little off, but wouldn't the service post-grad make up for the initial 4-year investment that they mention in that article? Making less than in the civilian sector? Honestly, I think providing that kind of opportunity helps in recruiting as they mention as well.

Guys. The school will not close. This **** has been going on since the 80s. These people use USUHS as a way to make it look like they’re doing something so they can put it on their fitreps. The closest they ever came to closing it was in the 90s when it actually got to congress, and Congress immediately shot that idea down.