2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just turned in my application while still on wait-list! Hopefully I get an answer sooner than May 2016 this round φ(゚▽゚*)♪

Members don't see this ad :)
If I grew up in TN (went to middle school, high school, and college in TN), but am currently living in CA with my parents during my gap year, would that affect my chances of getting in? Would they still consider me as an in-state student?

If I grew up in TN (went to middle school, high school, and college in TN), but am currently living in CA with my parents during my gap year, would that affect my chances of getting in? Would they still consider me as an in-state student?
You need to ask this question to Nelson- he is the only one that will give you an answer that you won't fret over. We can answer, but you will always be wondering if we are right.
Think about it this way: What state did you claim as yours when you filled out your taxes? What does your drivers license say? What is listed as your permanent address? I lived in Japan for over a year, I still counted as a TN resident. Honestly- it gets a bit weird. When I went to UTK I had friends that were considered OOS for UTK but not for the community colleges. The kicker here, if you get accepted as in state for a community college, UTK cannot deny you are instate- making your tuition waaay less crazy. This is how several of my classmates that lived right at GA line but went to grade school in TN managed to go to UTK as in-state.
But again- I really think you should ask this question to Nelson or Diane, because you are not going to feel comfortable accepting any of our answers as absolute, but their answers will be.

FYI- I went to college in TN and will be living their all of next year - was told that I need to "buy a house or marry a TN resident" to be considered.

I received an email earlier this week from Nelson saying that my application was under review. I turned mine in the day AMCAS opened at 9:30- basically the earliest time you can. Just to give everyone a reference.

Has anyone else received any form of communication from UT?

I got the same email that Mcatastrophic did simply stating that my application had been received and that it is now under review! Hope that helps

It does thanks! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit/were verified? I haven't heard anything from them yet so I'm starting to worry ...unless they're going chronologically and just haven't gotten to mine yet.

I submitted my primary on 6/12 and I was verified on 7/2, and I got the email from them on 7/2

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called Nelson Strother (nicest person ever) and he said my application was in the first batch of emails they sent our since I applied early...but I never got the email! Even after he just resent it to me.... has anyone else had this problem and have any suggestions? I'm super worried that I'll have a similar issue when I receive the secondary!

I just called Nelson Strother (nicest person ever) and he said my application was in the first batch of emails they sent our since I applied early...but I never got the email! Even after he just resent it to me.... has anyone else had this problem and have any suggestions? I'm super worried that I'll have a similar issue when I receive the secondary!
I've not had that problem- but I do recommend that you add @tenneessee.edu and @uthsc.edu to your contacts list to avoid this in the future. I would also go ahead and add [email protected] (Nelson's email) and [email protected] (Diane's email) to your contacts list as well. This should prevent them from being filtered. Also if you are using your university email for these exchanges instead of a private business one, make sure that your university doesn't have any data limits that may cause you issues.

Hi guys. I will be applying to UTHSC as well so just chiming in to say Hi. I haven't submitted as yet. But hopefully will do that in a couple of weeks. Was wondering if I could ask some questions about the AMCAS application in general or is this the wrong thread? Congrats to all those who have submitted and heard back from UTHSC.....:).

Hi guys. I will be applying to UTHSC as well so just chiming in to say Hi. I haven't submitted as yet. But hopefully will do that in a couple of weeks. Was wondering if I could ask some questions about the AMCAS application in general or is this the wrong thread? Congrats to all those who have submitted and heard back from UTHSC.....:).
I'm going to go ahead and recommend that you at least get your transcripts turned in for your application. Make sure you get copies for yourself as well, as you have to enter in each class individually. You don't want to have your app finished and be waiting on transcripts.

The website says
"Invitations to submit the College of Medicine Secondary Information Form will be e-mailed after August 17 through mid-January. The deadline for submitting the Secondary Information Form is one week after the invitation is e-mailed."
So it looks like we have awhile to wait before we hear anything

I'm going to go ahead and recommend that you at least get your transcripts turned in for your application. Make sure you get copies for yourself as well, as you have to enter in each class individually. You don't want to have your app finished and be waiting on transcripts.
Thank you. Yes, I already submitted the transcripts to the schools to send to AMCAS. I am waiting primarily for the Univ of Memphis pre-health advisor to be back (she is back on Aug 10'th) so I can show my application to her briefly and get her nod before I hit submit. Basically I have completed my application.

Any indication of how many secondaries are sent on the first day? This is one of the last secondaries I am waiting on and would love to be done with them soon.

Me too... I haven't received one yet, and when I called weeks earlier asking about the app-received email, I was apparently in the first batch they sent. So with that in mind, I'd us in that batch would be the first to receive a secondary. I'll post as soon as I get one!

Me too... I haven't received one yet, and when I called weeks earlier asking about the app-received email, I was apparently in the first batch they sent. So with that in mind, I'd us in that batch would be the first to receive a secondary. I'll post as soon as I get one!
They sent them out the Wednesday after the first week of classes last year, so they probably will start going out this week.

Hey all, current med student here. I am willing to answer any questions you have about this amazing school as the app year progresses. Btw, secondaries are so easy (no essays or money). Good luck too all! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, current med student here. I am willing to answer any questions you have about this amazing school as the app year progresses. Btw, secondaries are so easy (no essays or money). Good luck too all! :)

Thanks so much!

Do you have any tips for the interview.. like anything they specifically look for?
Also, are lectures mandatory to attend and is their a certain dress code for them?
Would you say that professors are very helpful or more distant? with a class size of 165 do you feel more like a number?

Thanks so much!

Do you have any tips for the interview.. like anything they specifically look for?
Also, are lectures mandatory to attend and is their a certain dress code for them?
Would you say that professors are very helpful or more distant? with a class size of 165 do you feel more like a number?

I'm sure you have heard this before, but really just be yourself. They are looking for a very diverse group and by just being yourself gives you the upper hand. Most lectures are not mandatory and they allow live streaming podcasts and your class will elect someone to record the sessions also. Mandatory ones are team based learning groups, principles of clinical medicine (once a weekish) and of course anatomy dissection.

The number two reason (first was the clinical experience) I chose UT was the wonderful staff. Everyone ( from admissions to professors) will try to know you by name and will allow you to entering their office at any time.

I promise you will not feel like a number :)

How long between getting secondaries and hearing about interviews?

How long between getting secondaries and hearing about interviews?

It varies greatly. Some people got an interview a month after, some 6 months after.
Also to the guy above, there is a slight dress code. They have been all about professionalism so no more pajama/sweat pants to school. It doesn't have to be nice, just not sloppy.

I also just received a secondary! Application was submitted and verified day 1 of AMCAS.

Were all of you guys verified first day? I submitted June 6 and wasn't verified until late June and haven't received one yet. UT specifically had trouble with my email on the last email they sent, so now I'm a little worried...

Were all of you guys verified first day? I submitted June 6 and wasn't verified until late June and haven't received one yet. UT specifically had trouble with my email on the last email they sent, so now I'm a little worried...
Verified 7/16.

I submitted my primary in late June and received the e-mail from Nelson on 7/27.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. Guess I'll have to call again. I don't know why I'm not getting any emails from this school! It makes me so paranoid!

Would you guys take not receiving a secondary to mean I should be expecting a rejection in the mail?

Would you guys take not receiving a secondary to mean I should be expecting a rejection in the mail?
No- My first time it took longer to get a secondary. It could mean they haven't decided yet. I wouldn't expect anything until you receive a letter in your mail. I do remember that Nelson said they like to only send secondary's out to people they intend to interview. He also mentioned this is one of the reasons they don't charge for the secondary.

no, not at all. It really varies some people they interview early other later despite people turning the apps in at the same time periods. I wouldn't worry and best of luck to you!

thank you both for your input, definitely relieved some of my fears! Good luck to you both!

Where it says we may attach an additional sheet for anything that is not in the personal comments of AMCAS.... are y'all counting that as a diversity essay?

bona fide resident? Does that mean a true Tennessee state resident?

Where it says we may attach an additional sheet for anything that is not in the personal comments of AMCAS.... are y'all counting that as a diversity essay?

I didn't attach an essay just because I didn't want to be repetitive and it didn't really seem like they were emphasizing it all that much. But then again, I didn't have much to say that wasn't in the personal statement.
I don't believe it's a diversity statement - if they had wanted that they would have specified. If you have something important that you should mention then you should, but I would avoid being redundant.

I didn't attach an essay just because I didn't want to be repetitive and it didn't really seem like they were emphasizing it all that much. But then again, I didn't have much to say that wasn't in the personal statement.
I don't believe it's a diversity statement - if they had wanted that they would have specified. If you have something important that you should mention then you should, but I would avoid being redundant.

I was wondering the same thing, I am not sure really.

bona fide resident? Does that mean a true Tennessee state resident?
yes. Basically are you considered in state for real and not just I moved to TN last month. I don't really know what the conditions are but I think it involves how long you have lived in TN/paid taxes/maybe have a license?

yes. Basically are you considered in state for real and not just I moved to TN last month. I don't really know what the conditions are but I think it involves how long you have lived in TN/paid taxes/maybe have a license?
Gotcha! Thanks!

Hi all, FYI- I received the secondary today after it had to be sent from someone in the admissions office's personal school email address (never went through when sent from the adcom address), apparently all the applicants with Vanderbilt email addresses did not receive it because of some IT problem but enough of them had called that they grabbed our names and sent us an email. So if you are waiting on one, it may not be a bad idea to check and call because some kinds of email addresses, and it looks like more so with school email addresses, ARE having problems with getting things through! good luck!

Okay I actually think you are right... The way its worded I think they are simply asking for real legitimate experiences that were not included (such as new or current endeavors such as an update) in the AMCAS application and not a diversity or right fit essay.

Reactions: 1 users